Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should Teachers Be Allowed to Pack a Gun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ulrich Wolff View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ulrich Wolff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Teachers Be Allowed to Pack a Gun?
    Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 15:30
How much preparing can you make for a crisis situation? When a man busts down your schoolroom door with an AK-47 in his hand, I don't think theres going to be a lot you can do. But, I don't think this has happened enough to start arming teachers. Maybe a few security guards.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 20:56
Seems that our larger issue in general is just another reactionary measure that tries to tackle societal problems. Today guns are more common among youth then they were in my day. Why? Not sure but just the same, parents were as protective then as they are now too. Just not as nuts about the whole thing. The diff? Back then we were not blasted by violence 24/7. Reason? Cable tv wasn't around. Less of a chance to become neurotic if your bad news is taken in manageable quantities from the mornings and between 5:00 pm-7:30pm, with an occasional erruption at 11:00 at night. Now we have the boogeyman squirted onto our screens by the likes of CNN, MSNBC, FOX, BBC, Local News, and they all like to scatter our brains with running tape of nonsense too. Highlights of the day's mischief broadcasted to anxiety provoking levels. TERROR ALERT. "Oh my, Martha. It's another terror alert. Quick go hide the fruit because I think this one is ORANGE". We are bombarded with even more NEWS ALERTs! The blood in Nichol's car was from...OJ! NEWS ALERT - "Osama farted. Did you smell that?" If this doesn't get you all riled up then we always have those judgemental leaders who won't hesitate to call you a coward the minute you fail to show hatred or fear of the enemy. Not them themselves. Just the enemy. Black or White. But never Grey!  

This is a summary of my two cents. A) Today gangs carry guns and don't hesitate to use them. Inner city schools are full of 'colors'. They be packin' too. B) The media is friggin violent. News shows were and are still the biggest culprit. Aside from your 'mainstream' average war footage being shown you may have the beatings of protestors or 'caught on tape' style police abuse; we also have missing baby McCann posted on the screen and some chick in Aruba that never made it back to her home safely. That and the occasional COPS show sung to the tune of "bad boys, bad boys!. Folks we are made into a bunch of scared pigeons. Even worse, adults have that deer in the headlights look. To top this anxiety all off, many youth have become desensitized to our BS (well deserved in some part). Whew! That was only the cynical part of me talking. Things do look better.

Maybe I should put those rose colored glasses of mine back on and chill. Afterall, I do see less concerned mothers at the bus stop dropping little Billy off every morning. That is a good sign. If mothers of America aren't too worried about everything then me neither, especially since I'm not a teacher at the local school.Wink

Edited by Seko - 02-Oct-2007 at 01:18
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 03:28
Originally posted by Seko

Afterall, I do see less concerned mothers at the bus stop dropping little Billy off every morning.
That's because they are all at work.Wink 

Though I do agree that our society completely de-sensitizes us with the endless cavalcade of violence from every direction.

Edited by Justinian - 02-Oct-2007 at 03:29
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Ulrich Wolff View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ulrich Wolff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 17:01
I'm 17 years old, I've played every kind of gory video game, and watched all the gory movies. First time I gutted a animal I vomited. Desensitized?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 03:15
Seko wrote 

A) Today gangs carry guns and don't hesitate to use them. Inner city schools are full of 'colors'.

I attend seminars on gangs given by the State Police and DOC for teachers, all levels, not just high school.  Ugly stats-

Every school district in every county of New Jersey has evidence of gang activity of one kind or another.

There are 6 other states with the same activity level and a bunch bringing up a close 2nd.

An aquaintance heads an inner city med. daycare ctr.  She has 3-4 year olds who communicate using gang signs.

But gangs are no longer just an inner city problem.  I've spotted gang signs just about everywhere I've been in the last 2-3 years.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 06:13
Originally posted by Ulrich Wolff

I'm 17 years old, I've played every kind of gory video game, and watched all the gory movies. First time I gutted a animal I vomited. Desensitized?
I guess it varies from person to person.  I have relatives that hunt and fish and have seen the insides of animals and fish since quite young.  That probably had as much to do with it as the video games.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 05:28
Originally posted by

Personally I find that all posts thus far in this thread are a sad reflection on American culture. The fact that you even have to consider arming staff or placing metal detectors on all the doors is a sign that the culture itself has failed. The government is primarily responsible, but the flaws go back as far as the war of independence.

I agree with the above. This matter has become very topical in the past few weeks as there have been news reports that in fact some US schools are arming teachers in classrooms, and providing firearms training.

The number of shooting incidents in US schools has become almost an epidemic, and receives world wide publicity. The US needs a very strong shot of reality in the gun ownership debate.

In Australia, our worst ever mass shooting resulted in 35 dead and more wounded. The Federal Government at the time almost immediately introduced very sensible Gun Registration and Ownership laws.

There has been no occurrence of mass shootings ever since.

No one, I repeat no one, apart from the Military and Law Enforcement should have access to assault rifles and fully automatic, or for that matter semi-automatic, weapons with large magazine capacities. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12