Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did the French win the American Revolution?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Koichi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Koichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did the French win the American Revolution?
    Posted: 17-Dec-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by Challenger2

Ah, the Koichi-Doctor Gonzaga tag team again. Big%20smile

I posted in order to demonstrate that so called "facts" are almost always distorted by nationalistic or personal bias. Before we resume this entertaining debate, can one, or both of you, give me some examples of how "a potentially valid and interesting topic is being poisoned by a misleading headline and nationalist sentiments already apparent on this thread." ? Confused

Look at the title:

As I wrote on my first post, this is misleading and offensive because, while the French contribution was important, it was still only one of many factors that resulted in the rebel victory.

Nationalist sentiments are usually more subtle but let's look at your post:

This is certainly one interpretation of events, probably the one favoured by American nationalistic school history books, for all I know, but the facts are not so clear cut.

Rather than respond with facts, you used an ad-hominem attack on my nationality.  Yes I agree bias is in all things, but as I've written, bias can only go so far before the facts make themselves apparent.  As I've told you, your "version" of the battle was the same as ours.

But I do like the part where you yourself don't know exactly what is being taught on this subject, you just assumed we were taught about this bravado-filled battle.  You also assumed I relied on public school level education rather than research on my own. 

Originally posted by HaloChanter

Ah, the Koichi-Doctor Gonzaga tag team again

- Oh yes, our local "we hate historian history" tag-team. "Damn the facts, damn political history, damn the sources!"

Don't worry Challenger2 you're not alone Wink

This groundless and juvenile attack doesn't merit a response.  I did find it interesting though that you call drgonzaga and I a "tag team" when you guys are clearly addressing each other while drgonzaga and I argued on other topics.

Classy, both of you.  I sincerely hope this quality of responses is not representative of the rest of this forum.

drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 12:13

- Oh yes, our local "we hate historian history" tag-team. "Damn the facts, damn political history, damn the sources!"

As to who is damning the "sources" just how do you get around the documentation of the 1770s in which the participants do accept the events associated with Saratoga as a "defeat" that carried political consequences.

That Parliament itself viewed the events in New York as interesting to say the least and did in effect lay out proposals that were the equivalent of restoring all to the status quo ante bellum and such certainly belies the proposition that Saratoga was some inconsequential event...we will not even go into the consequences with regard to the machinations of Vergennes.

Now as to relegating political history to hell, I do believe that is an appropriate place for politics is the realm of the utilitarian, and utilitarianism is the terrain where the useful is often confused for the truth therefore if you wish to give validity to the political you simply journey on an intellectual basis into the Empire of the Lie (pace Ortega y Gasset). How's that for zap, Halo?

Edited by drgonzaga - 18-Dec-2007 at 12:15
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 16:59
Originally posted by drgonzaga

Well, challenger, you could always assign the loss to the treacherous behavior of the Whigs and their failure to fully support the crown in its policies for the centralization of government and the regularization of needed taxation! Wink

Poor Lord North, he had enough of a time maintaining the Treasury and one could just as well blame that nitwit Lord George Germain for the series of disastrous decisions with regard to the Americans and the conduct of the military for the suppression of the revolt...then there was Charles Fox as well as the remnants of the Chathamites. Lord, it was a headache ruling over all of these digruntled gents. And then there was the rapproachment between North and Fox that actually led to the rise of Pitt the Younger--a dangerous imperialist that one but by the time he took over the government in 1784, the peace had already been negotiated.Cheeky 

Aah! 18th Century British politics. Don't you just love it! Plus a change, plus le mme chose!Wink
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 17:31

What is surprising, however, and Koichi implied as much in his first point, is the failure to note that British tactics in North America did not ensure control of the countryside. And nothing underscores this point better than the campaign undertaken by Cornwallis from Charleston that did end at Yorktown.

The British never had the resources to do this and recognised the fact. The countryside was terrorised by local rebel groups. These tactics effectively prevented loyalist elements from actively supporting the British. The situation was very much akin to that faced by America in Vietnam.
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 17:40

Challenger, I would be the first to admit that while the "facts" of history remained fixed, historians are forever manipulating the same data in order to devise new soundings. There are myths aplenty in the national conscience and the history of England is replete with them

History of England, but not America? Smile
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by Koichi

Ah, the Koichi-Doctor Gonzaga tag team again. Big%20smile

I posted in order to demonstrate that so called "facts" are almost always distorted by nationalistic or personal bias. Before we resume this entertaining debate, can one, or both of you, give me some examples of how "a potentially valid and interesting topic is being poisoned by a misleading headline and nationalist sentiments already apparent on this thread." ? Confused

Look at the title:

As I wrote on my first post, this is misleading and offensive because, while the French contribution was important, it was still only one of many factors that resulted in the rebel victory.

Nationalist sentiments are usually more subtle but let's look at your post:

This is certainly one interpretation of events, probably the one favoured by American nationalistic school history books, for all I know, but the facts are not so clear cut.

Rather than respond with facts, you used an ad-hominem attack on my nationality.  Yes I agree bias is in all things, but as I've written, bias can only go so far before the facts make themselves apparent.  As I've told you, your "version" of the battle was the same as ours.

But I do like the part where you yourself don't know exactly what is being taught on this subject, you just assumed we were taught about this bravado-filled battle.  You also assumed I relied on public school level education rather than research on my own. 

This groundless and juvenile attack doesn't merit a response.  I did find it interesting though that you call drgonzaga and I a "tag team" when you guys are clearly addressing each other while drgonzaga and I argued on other topics.

Classy, both of you.  I sincerely hope this quality of responses is not representative of the rest of this forum.

Its possible we have all got off on the wrong foot here. I admit to being incensed at Koichis taking what, to my mind, was a rather prissy offence at an otherwise straightforward question, Did the French win the American Revolution? It appeared to me Koichi was being overly dogmatic in his [her?] approach to British-American history. I have been enlightened on that score. Similarly, it seemed that every time Koichi posted, Dr Gonzaga followed suit, being on the receiving end made it look like a tag team. I withdraw the accusation.

As regards nationalist sentiments, its impossible to escape them, so lets wallow in our respective nationalisms and get on with it.Tongue

Personally, I find this a reasonable question worthy of debate. The French contributed most to the success of the rebellion. Without their financial, covert and overt military aid and eventual intervention, the British Government would have triumphed and a modus vivendi probably arrived at through negotiation, once the rebel ringleaders had been caught and hung.  Once France declared war, however the American rebellion became nothing more than a side show for the British, enabling the rebels to regroup.

Edited by Challenger2 - 19-Dec-2007 at 17:45
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 18:44
There is a slight footnote, Challenger, that has escaped your notice. This footnote is found in the steady correspondence between Vergennes in Paris and his counterpart in Spain, Aranda. While independence was being planned in Philadelphia during the summer of 1776, the ministers of the Bourbon Compact were already busily setting up Hortalez y Cia in Bilbao, to which the Spanish and French governments both contributed the capital (one million pesos each, with the Spanish government advancing the French share). The various fronts set up by the playwright Beaumarchais and Diego de Gardoqui were highly important in maintaining the traditional New England trade with the West Indies. The firm of Gardoqui and Sons had a long history in American trade, and much before the formal Franco-American alliance, for between the summers of 1776-1777, Spanish ports were open to American privateers for the disposal of prizes and the securing of supplies. Earlier, I had mentioned the source of the of the cannons the Americans deployed at Ticonderoga (from the Spanish royal armory), but sustenance reaching the rebels even included Washington's store of Madeira--we will not mention the blankets that later gained fame at Valley Forge. In other words events over-ran formalities and while matters might have appeared tenuous on land in the period 1776-1777, maritime activity proliferated as New England traders engaged in both privateering and the West India trade [this latter was the principal route through which Spanish military materiel reached the rebels. We will not even get into why continental paper currency carried the inscription of "Spanish milled dollars" rather than any reference to French coinage!

It is in this context that the entire situation must be viewed and as a consequence of direct financial understanding between the two Bourbon governments. I doubt Vergennes would have ventured as far as he did without knowing the tacit financial assistance already promised by Madrid and that in the immediate future the Spanish Bourbon would honor the so-called "Family Compact". Thus, when one starts asserting a novelty such as the "French won the American Revolution" one must also understand that absent the American rebellion, the French government was in no position to challenge the English single-handedly.

Now, as to the contention over "national myths", surely there is no need to forge another one--in this instance the French winning the Revolution for the Americans. In fact, the French often bungled matters. The mosy obvious example is provided by the French naval defeat at Saintes in 1782. That fleet had no business being there for in fact the naval orders had commanded the French to sail for a rendezvous with the Spanish at Havana, where men, ships and supplies awaited for a combined assault against the British in the West Indies. One might say that in the lust for "gloire", the Frogs got a hoist on their own petard [to put it in the vernacular of the UK].

Edited by drgonzaga - 19-Dec-2007 at 18:46
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 19:07

Challenger, I would be the first to admit that while the "facts" of history remained fixed, historians are forever manipulating the same data in order to devise new soundings. There are myths aplenty in the national conscience and the history of England is replete with them

History of England, but not America? Smile

Good Lord, the Americans inherited that trait from their English forebearers, and the American historical landscape is replete with old myths and others of more recent vintage [e.g. Roosevelt saved America from the Depression]. But how different is such from the standard cant that the English "defeated" the Spanish Armada? That one is still repeated despite the now classic study by Garret Mattingly, The Spanish Armada, published way back in 1955. But hey, after all, it was there from the beginning as with the nonsense imagined by John Smith that is still repeated today over Pocahontas [with good old Disney PC too]. And do I need to mention that last effort from Kate Blanchett and the taking of a page from Bette Davis.

One might assign it to the impact of Presbyterianism on the American character [shades of Woodrow Wilson]Cool What with all the saving grace and redemption from perdition...but keep in mind that as historians we need to keep the balance as to to the uses of history within an elementary educational concept. The building of "good citizens" does generate a lot of tripe...by the way any news as to when that lady in the palace will vacate the premises to its lawful occupants?Ermm

PS: How often people forget that much of history is but fortuitous accident with very little planning involved.

Edited by drgonzaga - 19-Dec-2007 at 19:08
Koichi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Koichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 04:40
Its possible we have all got off on the wrong foot here.

We did, no hard feelings though right?

While we're here, let me clarify my own position.  There is a distinction between fact and interpretation.  A fact is an undisputed truth, in the context of history, it's an event that took place.  It's pretty black and white, I mean, it either happened or it didn't.  Facts serve as empirical evidence for an interpretation.  An interpretation is an analysis followed by a conclusion.  Two reasonable people could have the same facts and come to a different interpretation.

Like I said, I'm clarifying my position, this isn't meant to be condescending.  What I am saying though is, in order to have an interpretation, you need facts.  Falling back on one without the other relegates an interpretation to a mere opinion.

That's all really, I have a relatively casual interest on the matter at hand.  Just a bit disturbed at the inflammatory topics on board (there's another one nearby about Germans being the laughingstock of history).

Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 05:11

the other relegates an interpretation to a mere opinion.

Just a bit disturbed at the inflammatory topics on board (there's another one nearby about Germans being the laughingstock of history).

How is this inflammatory? Your going to compare this name with the german one? Thats a bit silly..

Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 16:25

Its possible we have all got off on the wrong foot here.

We did, no hard feelings though right?

While we're here, let me clarify my own position.  There is a distinction between fact and interpretation.  A fact is an undisputed truth, in the context of history, it's an event that took place.  It's pretty black and white, I mean, it either happened or it didn't.  Facts serve as empirical evidence for an interpretation.  An interpretation is an analysis followed by a conclusion.  Two reasonable people could have the same facts and come to a different interpretation.

Like I said, I'm clarifying my position, this isn't meant to be condescending.  What I am saying though is, in order to have an interpretation, you need facts.  Falling back on one without the other relegates an interpretation to a mere opinion.

That's all really, I have a relatively casual interest on the matter at hand.  Just a bit disturbed at the inflammatory topics on board (there's another one nearby about Germans being the laughingstock of history).

No hard feelings whatsoever. Smile

I take your point about "facts" and "interpretations", however I'm never so sure about the "facts" themselves. For example, I've done some research into the battle of Minden [1759]. After 250 years you cannot get a clear undisputed picture of what units actually fought there.  There are French records, British records, records by individuals who were present, and second hand records compiled by the Prussian General Staff in the 19th century.  All these records are "factual" and all are contradictory in many areas.

BTW where's this Germans are a laughing stock topic?

Edited by Challenger2 - 27-Dec-2007 at 16:26
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 16:35

There is a slight footnote, Challenger, that has escaped your notice. This footnote is found in the steady correspondence between Vergennes in Paris and his counterpart in Spain, Aranda. While independence was being planned in Philadelphia during the summer of 1776, the ministers of the Bourbon Compact were already busily setting up Hortalez y Cia in Bilbao, to which the Spanish and French governments both contributed the capital (one million pesos each, with the Spanish government advancing the French share). The various fronts set up by the playwright Beaumarchais and Diego de Gardoqui were highly important in maintaining the traditional New England trade with the West Indies. The firm of Gardoqui and Sons had a long history in American trade, and much before the formal Franco-American alliance, for between the summers of 1776-1777, Spanish ports were open to American privateers for the disposal of prizes and the securing of supplies. Earlier, I had mentioned the source of the of the cannons the Americans deployed at Ticonderoga (from the Spanish royal armory), but sustenance reaching the rebels even included Washington's store of Madeira--we will not mention the blankets that later gained fame at Valley Forge. In other words events over-ran formalities and while matters might have appeared tenuous on land in the period 1776-1777, maritime activity proliferated as New England traders engaged in both privateering and the West India trade [this latter was the principal route through which Spanish military materiel reached the rebels. We will not even get into why continental paper currency carried the inscription of "Spanish milled dollars" rather than any reference to French coinage!

It is in this context that the entire situation must be viewed and as a consequence of direct financial understanding between the two Bourbon governments. I doubt Vergennes would have ventured as far as he did without knowing the tacit financial assistance already promised by Madrid and that in the immediate future the Spanish Bourbon would honor the so-called "Family Compact". Thus, when one starts asserting a novelty such as the "French won the American Revolution" one must also understand that absent the American rebellion, the French government was in no position to challenge the English single-handedly.

Now, as to the contention over "national myths", surely there is no need to forge another one--in this instance the French winning the Revolution for the Americans. In fact, the French often bungled matters. The mosy obvious example is provided by the French naval defeat at Saintes in 1782. That fleet had no business being there for in fact the naval orders had commanded the French to sail for a rendezvous with the Spanish at Havana, where men, ships and supplies awaited for a combined assault against the British in the West Indies. One might say that in the lust for "gloire", the Frogs got a hoist on their own petard [to put it in the vernacular of the UK].

Are you suggesting Spain bankrolled the whole war? The Dutch also contributed military aid to the Rebels, but the French contributed most, especially in the provision of saltpetre, of which there was a singular lack in the colonies.

As regards the Saintes, the French were en route to Havana when they were intercepted and the battle brought about by French ineptitude rather than any lust for glory.

Edited by Challenger2 - 27-Dec-2007 at 16:41
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 16:43

But how different is such from the standard cant that the English "defeated" the Spanish Armada?

Aah, but we DID defeat the Spanish Armada, even Mattingly says so. Tongue

One for another thread methinks. Wink

Edited by Challenger2 - 27-Dec-2007 at 16:44
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 00:11
Mattingly said no such thing despite Elliot's attempt to portray such when he prepared the introduction to the commemorative edition and titled it "The Defeat of the Spanish Armada". In fact, in terms of events from 1589 to 1603, the English had a rather hard time of it and were more or less suing for peace when James I came to the throne and found the treasury empty!

Edited by drgonzaga - 28-Dec-2007 at 00:11
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 09:59
Nonetheless, they defeated the Spanish Armada - and I think you'll find that the English had the upper hand in the Battle for the Atlantic.
Indeed, they threatened Philip II's power like no other country, penetrating to the heart of his realm time and again my plundering Spain's chief cities, pillaging the American empire and decisively aiding the Dutch.
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 10:36

look at the title:

It's neither misleading nor offensive because it is simply a question.

I don't see how anything but an assertion can be misleading, and I don't see any great reason to take a question like this as offensive.

If you think the answer is 'no', then fine.

It struck me as a very good question and still does. A good question is one where the answer is not clear-cut.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 10:40

Mattingly said no such thing despite Elliot's attempt to portray such when he prepared the introduction to the commemorative edition and titled it "The Defeat of the Spanish Armada". In fact, in terms of events from 1589 to 1603, the English had a rather hard time of it and were more or less suing for peace when James I came to the throne and found the treasury empty!

Are you suggesting that the Spanish Armada was successful?
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 11:07
Just which Armada are you speaking about, 2003? The point here is much the same as with the original posit on the thread: a contention that can not be sustained by the documentary evidence. When you look at the documents, you would realize that the English did not even have enough gunpowder to engage the Armada as it made its way north along the coast!

Let us be blunt, as with much else dealing with the condition of England in the 16th century one can not escape the fact that historical reality does not jive with the bluster.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 11:39

Nonetheless, they defeated the Spanish Armada - and I think you'll find that the English had the upper hand in the Battle for the Atlantic.
Indeed, they threatened Philip II's power like no other country, penetrating to the heart of his realm time and again my plundering Spain's chief cities, pillaging the American empire and decisively aiding the Dutch.

Sorry, Halo, that is balderdash. Simply compile a listing of events for the years 1589-1603 and you'll understand why. England had neither the economic resources nor the naval power to maintain a sustained offensive much less have an upper hand in the Atlantic. Try this on for size:

Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:39

My copy is a facsimile of the original, but published in 2000, so I've no idea  to what you refer.  In my version Mattingly often refers to the "defeat of the Spanish Armada". As they were fighting the English at the time, who else defeated them? Big%20smile

As regards, 1589-1603, the Spanish also had a hard time of it, and I believe the Spanish sued for peace first! Wink

This is however, nothing to do with  the French winning the  American's revolution for them.  If you want to start an Armada thread, I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>