Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lu Bu vs Arnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: who would win in a fight?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [14.29%]
6 [85.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lu Bu vs Arnie
    Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 23:02

what do you guys think?

Mods: feel free to move this to the Historical Amusement..later on, not now..

Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 23:05
LU BU is the MAN!

In Honor
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 09:58

So who is this Lu Bu guy?

Is he an Asian action movie star, or something?

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 22:02

Lu Bu is a warrior/general from the last few years of the han dynasty, he was known as an undefeatable warrior, but he eventually was captured by Cao Cao (not by Cao Cao himself)  You can read about him in the book Three Kingdoms

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 00:51

this is Lu Bu

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 21:23
Originally posted by Zhuge Kongming

Lu Bu is a warrior/general from the last few years of the han dynasty, he was known as an undefeatable warrior, but he eventually was captured by Cao Cao (not by Cao Cao himself)  You can read about him in the book Three Kingdoms

OK, thanks for the info.

But, why Lu Bu vs. Arnie?

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 17:42

Heh, if only babyblue.

And to read something more factual than you would find in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, try this: http://kongming.net/novel/sgz/lubu.php

Indeed, why did you choose Arnie?

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 17:48
What the heck is this all about?
The next American election or the least talent actor in Austrian history? Is Lu Bu Austrian?
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 21:37
L Bu was a Chinese warrior around about, oh, 1,800 years ago. He became famous for his martial prowess, as well as his tendency to betray...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 22:21
and no dount his exploits are incredinly exxagerated and distorted, as any objective readings would show you.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 12:56

Aww... are you saying that because it was recorded by a Chinese historian, or is it something deeper? Objective reading? Fine, give me some sources that you would consider to be objective, and I'll read them.

A few of his exploits were indeed exaggerated... in the novel that was written during the Ming dynasty. However, the Sanguo Zhi was a historical account of the era, painstakingly put together. It's considered as the primary source.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 21:53

hm, my bad, the one I read was the Ming dynasty one which I was told by a proffeosr (not a good one) was the definateive source.  Apparently he was wrong, good to know.

edit: what the hell do you mean by something deeper, I dont trust or distrust any historian over another based on culture, but its good to be skeptical.

Edited by Tobodai
-Alexander Hamilton
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 07:22
What did I mean? I've just noticed that you tend to be more "skeptical" towards Chinese historians than any others. It's not something that happens all the time, but from my point of view, it is a tendency that you have.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 23:51

more lol, no I actually find CVhinese historians more reliable than most if not all, I just like to question it more because of all the obnoxious Chinese nationalists that I cant stand.

-Alexander Hamilton
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 00:10
Originally posted by Tobodai

more lol, no I actually find CVhinese historians more reliable than most if not all, I just like to question it more because of all the obnoxious Chinese nationalists that I cant stand.

this is rather biased i would have to say. as a moderator, you should not choose some source over another. at least not in the public.

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 00:14
Originally posted by coolstorm

Originally posted by Tobodai

this is rather biased i would have to say. as a moderator, you should not choose some source over another. at least not in the public.

Just b/c he's a moderator doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his own opinion.
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 11:03
Bad comparision in my view.  How do they fight with each other? Lu uses his Ji and a rifle in Arnie's hand? I got a better idea, how about Maximus (Roman figure in Gladiator) Vs Lu Bu? More interesting , huh.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 15:08

Just b/c he's a moderator doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his own opinion.

yes he can have his own opinion but he still shouldn't prefer anything over another.

having his own opinion and being skeptical are different.

i can give racist comments and say it's my own opinion but that's illegal still.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 19:35

anyone with even half a brain should be abel to tell if source A is better than source b.  Chinese historians are consistently reliable (at least after Shi Huang Ti era) and its merely a fact that they work in less religiously oriented bias than most people can achieve.

Although my all time favorite historian is Ibn Khaldun, and hes not Chinese so its not all one way.

In Europe Roman sources tend to be quite good if you can cut through propoganda but medieval sources are often terrible.  Ancient Egyptian sources are almost totally unreliable and filled with crap for the most part...its all objective, and I preserve the right to be objective.

-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 17:01

This has turned from Lu Bu vs Arnie to a debate about sources.

*sits back and watches*

Post Reply Post Reply