Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000AD Comic....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000AD Comic....
    Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 11:54

Hello all

.I was recently contemplating what would be a suitable purchase for reading material for my son when he gets a little older, and in doing so, I thought about all the old comics I used to get when I was younger.along with The Beano, Dandy, and Warlord, one comic I was particular enthralled with was 2000AD. Generally noted for the Judge Dredd character

2000AD Homepage

Does anyone else have any memories of this comic?or indeed, are you someone who still buys the comic now? I am not sure as to its global availability so I am not sure how familiar the publication is around the world, but any thoughts would be welcome..

...I remember receiving the comic on a weekly basis when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and I only really stopped buying it when I was in my late teens!!!Embarrassedthere were some fantastic character creations and the artwork was generally very high.Storyline favourites included Slaine, a mystical warrior from the myths and legends that made up Celtic/Norse mythologya great story and brilliant artwork

.Rogue Trooper was a favourite, a futuristic soldier genetically engineered to fight in the atomic wastelands of Nu-EarthABC Warriors was another classic, a group of future robots who were equipped to fight in Atomic, Biological and Chemical warfare conditions. and I have fond memories of the battles between Nemesis and his arch rival Torquemada, Grand Master of Termight

One I particularly recall, was a story called Charleys War which dealt with the life of a young British soldier in the trenches of the First Word Waran introduction to history if I ever saw one.obviously, my memories are clouded by the whims and fancies of youth, but I really did believe the storys were of the highest quality and I looked forward each week to the next instalmentsyou can, if your very quiet, still catch me in the local branch of W.H. Smiths gently leafing through the current editions of 2000AD, sighing contently with nostalgic thoughts.Wink

So, anyone else??????

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 12:15
I've still got my collection in the loft. I got them down a few years ago and re-read some of them, still classic.

Alan Moore started there writing the classic Tharg's Futureworld Shocks. Artists Dave Gibbons and Kevin O'Neil  started there.

Also gave birth to Nemesis the Warlock, whose unique style of artwork has been copied across, comic, movie, album cover alike.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by Paul

I've still got my collection in the loft. I got them down a few years ago and re-read some of them, still classic.

...Hi Paul...

...even though i stopped buying the comic in my late teens, i kept my collection and would do very much the same as you, dig them out occasionaly, and have a jolly good read..sadly, in my mid-20's, i gave the whole collection away to a friends young son...even some of the earlier 'Progs' i had gathered, i had several of the first ten published...Cry..boy do i regret that decision...

..i have always felt that many of 2000AD's stories could have made brilliant film material....(Judge Dredd aside, which was a bit of a stinker but i still enjoyed it!!!)...for example, Nemesis would have been superb, the Mega-City wars would have been great, Slaine would have been ideal!!!!!!....

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 11-Sep-2007 at 12:35
 Post Reply Post Reply