Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

saudi arabia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: saudi arabia
    Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 21:07
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 21:14
Try to provide more commentary than this.  What do you think of the music specifically?  What kind is it, why do you like it, etc.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 21:22
This is basically traditional saudi music done playing with western instruments. As you can notice the combination produces amazing music.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 08:39
that's a typical Turkish classic music.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 09:44
It has absolutely nothing to do with Saudis neither Turkish classical music, It sounds exactly like Turkish folk music. It's produced by a Turkish musician most probably. But very clearly it's not ethnic music of Saudis whatsoever.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 10:02
Okay I found it. It's "Denizin dibinde hatcam." A very good example of the Turkish folk music. The one deria provided is also produced by a famous Turkish band "Yedi Karanfil."

Here: Denizin dibinde Hatcam by Yedikaranfil (The same music).

http://www.krysstal.com/music_turkey_yedikaranfil.html

And the original version of the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV96Kl8AT-g&mode=related&search=

I must say that claiming these kind of musics "Saudi music" is like saying this music is "English folk music." As distinct as it is.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

I must say that claiming these kind of musics "Saudi music" is like saying this music is "English folk music." As distinct as it is.

That's an overstatement. Some instruments are similar, I think.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 10:32
Isn't music banned in Saudi Arabia because of the Wahhabis? The instruments are not Western.

Sounds like it has strong Kermanji influence, that is how they play their lutes. 
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 10:58
Originally posted by Feanor

That's an overstatement. Some instruments are similar, I think.

As far as Northern Syria, Northern Iraq and Western Iran are concerned, you' re right. But It's quite safe to say that ethnic music of Saudis is really different.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 17:55
wow never knew this was turkish. its amazing music.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 18:05
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 18:46
Sounds more like Irish.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 05:42

Okay I found it. It's "Denizin dibinde hatcam." A very good example of the Turkish folk music. The one deria provided is also produced by a famous Turkish band "Yedi Karanfil."

Here: Denizin dibinde Hatcam by Yedikaranfil (The same music).

http://www.krysstal.com/music_turkey_yedikaranfil.html

And the original version of the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV96Kl8AT-g&mode=related&search=

thanks for the link, i knew the melody was similar to my ears cuz I did play did music with my baglama some years ago though i forgot his name.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 20:27
I can definitely here the Kamaja in the background but yes it does seem Turkish given its somewhat Asiatic melody.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 20:03

Saudi is an interesting place, it has its own unique charm, foreigners generally and westeners especially have a rather distorted or incomplete view of the place, must say Saudis don't exactly help their image, sometime I wonder if they revel in it.

Edited by Sparten - 01-Oct-2007 at 08:18
Piedmon_Sama View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Piedmon_Sama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 02:47
Saudi Arabia does seem like a very scenic country, despite the stereotypes.  As someone interested in the history of Arab and Islamic civilization, I'd love to visit.  I just hate to feel like a tourist, though.  It's a straight-A ticket to lamesville.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 06:10
^^ you guys are right, saudi arabia is a very ancient and myesterious land. The best thing about it is that it has not been touched by many tourists. You find so many ancient cities and civilizations through out the country. i wish people who love history be allowed to go there and look at these amazing sites. i agree i hate being a tourist too because tourists in a way ruin the place they visit, and lets face it most tourists are ignorant fools and dont love history. saudi so far is pretty much untouched from tourists, thats a good thing. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 04:13
But they also bring in the capital to maintain those sites.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 11:45
Hello to you all

Well since the discussion is about music, I confess I do no hear music nor enjoy it. As for Saudi Arabia having historical places, well, I would not say that it is as rich as Yemen though there are some important excavations done like the ancient city of Fao. Also, the mountainous route from Taif to Abha and even beyond is riddled with ancient castles and forts that served as last defense against raids. I do not know until now how to upload pictures or I would have done so. Most of these catles are ow so decayed that entering them is a dangerous adventure and because of complexity of inheritence laws some of these castles and houses have over 200 owners who have a shre making keeping such heritage somewhat difficult.
as for the government keeping these sites I am afraid that some time the government destroyed many of the site for developemental purposes. Only the City of Diriyah has completely survived because it is the ancient seat of the royal family and they bought all the lands in that city and its surroundings (including my grandfather's land, I will never forget my final adventure in the old city 10 years ago).

Al-Jassas
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 18:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>