Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Were the Turks oriental looking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were the Turks oriental looking?
    Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 09:00
I can see that people often get worked up when the issue of "race" and "human genetics" is mentioned.

My advice is: RELAX!
By discussing what the founders of the Gokturk Empire looked like physically is a trait of curiosity, which doesn't necessarily imply racist or nationalistic propaganda.

The same way I have always had a curiosity to know what people "looked like" at different eras and different places.
I am curious to know how the ancient Italians "looked like", how the Cro-Magnons looked like, how Neolithic people and Jericho and Catalhoyuk "looked like". how the Aztecs "looked like".... and it's only normal for people interested in history and geography.

The terms such as "Caucasoid", "Mongoloid", "Congoid" or "Capoid" are broad classifications of craneology, which DOES EXIST in a broad sense; which is just as valid as dividing people into blonds, brunettes, and redheads when it comes to the colour of the hair. Most of the time you don't tend to confuse a typical Chinese with a typical German, do you? So there IS a physical difference between the 2 peoples; and there's nothing racist or nationalistic about admitting it.
I can blatantly say that even among Europeans there are physical differences, as a typical Spaniard DOES NOT look the same as a typical Swede; and there's nothing racist about saying it.

The word "race" is another matter because in animals it means "subspecies"; while all human beings alive today belong to the same species and sub-species. However, there IS genetic differences between populations of the world and there's nothing racist about studying them. Just because the racists of the 19th century used the colour of skin as social divider, it doesn't render the study of genes and "looks" irrelevant.

Going back to the main topic, I would imagine that most of the original "Turkic" tribes that descended from Xiongnu were probably of Siberian-Mongolian heritage; but by the time that the Gokturk empire was created, they had already absorbed a large number of foreign peoples of Iranic, Mongol, or Finno-Ugric origin.
Their physical appearance was most probably mixed.

An Lu-shan was a Chinese general of Turkic origin, and historical sources did mention him as "physonomically alien".

omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 12:07
Great, great post Calvo. I really agree with you and I couldn't have expressed it better.  Thank you and Bravo!

Edited by omshanti - 13-Jun-2008 at 12:26
Arcturus Mengsk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arcturus Mengsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 01:39
I dont think that they were european looking 
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2010 at 13:57
i agree with calvo. the  turkish tribes were allready heavily mixed with surrounding non turkish tribes mostly iranic  before migrating to turkey and if you visit turky you can rarely find someone with japaness or mongol look(anyway i find nothing wrong with that they are both nice looking people too) today turkey is mix of great variety of ethnic groups and people have a meditranian look.sure before migration to turkey they may had more asian looking.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2010 at 21:21
Hello I am new to this forum.

Recently I did dna testing, and it confirmed that my ancestors or cousins possibly came from Central Asia and may even be a result of the Golden Horde.

I can confirm that from mid to late nineteenth century that my ancestors came from Southeast Asia (Philippines).

Studying the various timelines and my scant knowledge of Central Asian history, what is the likelihood that my Central Asian ancestors journeyed down to Southeast Asia?

It happens right?   People escaping their homelands for better lives?

Would anyone knowledgeable about their history help me out?

btw physically I look nothing like a Filipino or person of Malay descent.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!!!

Edited by sabec01 - 29-Apr-2010 at 21:22
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2014 at 01:27
The Turks are not genetically Mongoloid, although some of the northern Anatolian people have some Mongoloid features..

They are more closely related to the people of India.

And what do you mean "were". The Turkish people are alive and well, and living in, you guessed it, Turkey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123