Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How reliable is the History Channel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Malik View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Malik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How reliable is the History Channel?
    Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 17:44
Ive heard people mentioning that alot of the stuff on HC is unreliable and inaccurate.How many of you feel the same way?DO any of you watch the HC?
what_is_history View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote what_is_history Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 18:31
This is a good question.  I had a professor who called it, "The Popular Culture Channel."  I think it depends on the program.  Usually they just show a bunch of crap called "Modern Marvels" or "Ice Road Truckers."  I actually don't like the History Channel all that much to be honest. 
"It aint what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 21:37
When the programs are good they are very good and when bad they are awful!

Edited by elenos - 24-Aug-2007 at 21:39
elenos
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 22:05

The channel sometimes showcases interesting programs, most of which only contain skepticism other than actual facts. But that isnt necessarily bad, it just encourages me to learn more on my own. The same goes for other channels.

Edited by Penelope - 24-Aug-2007 at 22:07
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 22:05
^^^ Very accurate assessment.  I would say the history channel, when it is actually showing something on history, is good for basic information.  If you want to learn about something in detail you should look elsewhere.

Edit:  I was referring to Elenos' statement but it applies to penelope's as well.

Edited by Justinian - 24-Aug-2007 at 22:07
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 00:09
Thank you Justinian, Penelope's view was much better written than mine. I like to see the critical view, rather than stay totally accepting.  Skepticism is medicine for those who like to question everything. I had a friend who used to take me to evenings where they played the hardest of hard core Christian fundamentalist videos that you would never get to see on history TV. I liked them because they they were built on narrow but well thought out perspectives and showed points I had never questioned before.
elenos
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 00:19
The thing I don't like about the history channel is their inability to present their information sequentially, in an order that furthers discussion of the underlying topic of investigation. They will in one particular episode go from one topic, to another, to another, in no particular order and in a way which does not evidence a particular argument.
Just like writing a real research report, they need to present their information sequentially and in a way that related back to the original topic of investigation.
kasper View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 00:22
I usually find that History International has much better programming than the History Channel. But that isn't saying much.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 03:16
We do not have the history channel here, but we do have Discovery and National Geographic Channel, and they too have some history programmes, which I suppose are close in level and quality as the History Channel.
In my experience, what they tend to do is to take a subject, and then take the easiest/most obvious/most interesting sounding explanation for it, and bring this as the absolute thruth. So they are in general not very wrong (although I have heard some pretty amazing f-ups... Like emperor Augustus being called so because he conquered Egypt in that month....!Pinch), but they are increadibly singe minded. No discussion or debates are taken into account, no alternative theories, no changes of perspective. And in a branch of study like history, taking account of different theories is vital!

Another thing is the circular reasoning that is all to common. I saw a doc on Stonehenge, and after an hour of mediocre scholarship, the conclusion was that the people who build it were not primitive at all..... Confused Well yeah, duh! They built the damn thing, didn't they? Does that in itself not prove they were not that primitive? That is pretty much the basis you started out from, and now it is also the conclusion! Come on! Do they think I am stupid or what? Ermm

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 03:39

It depends. I'll confess I enjoy it a lot. However sometimes the research could be a lot better. For instance whenever they bring upm Victor Davis Hanson on anything to do with the Persian Wars, then I want to throw things at the TV. However their special on Carthage was excellent. As on the birth of Islam.

At the end of the day you have to remember they are another TV Channel and they have to make money, and need as large an audience as possible.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 11:01
I think what some of you are missing is that most of these "documentaries"/programs are not actually made by the History Channel they are simply bought from smaller production companies. Simply put these programs are not made by historians but rather amatuers and hobbyists whose schooling does not include historical research (I know because I went to undergrad to do just that, I quickly changed my mind as to what I want to do). On top of that there are time constraints that require editing and cutting of certain information. Then you have the shows like Wild West Tech or Mail Call both of which nobody should be watching anyway. When it comes to TV I stay to PBS, National Geographic, Discovery, and the Food Network.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 00:07
One thing that gets me is they advertise a program. let's say the building of the pyramids, and right at the first scene they show you a pyramid with the sun setting behind it. The commentator says in a hushed and rererent voice "This is a pyramid." You know right there and then the rest of the program will never rise beyond coffee table book trivia.
elenos
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 00:40
Originally posted by elenos

One thing that gets me is they advertise a program. let's say the building of the pyramids, and right at the first scene they show you a pyramid with the sun setting behind it. The commentator says in a hushed and rererent voice "This is a pyramid." You know right there and then the rest of the program will never rise beyond coffee table book trivia.

LOL
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 12:44
History International and Discovery Civilization are much better. The History Channel it's self is pretty much history in name only. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 18:18
Originally posted by Kevin

History International and Discovery Civilization are much better. The History Channel it's self is pretty much history in name only. 

Perhaps they have different programming in different areas but in my area both of those are awful.  They run documentaries from the 70's fcol.

If you want a clue as to what any of the History or Discovery venues will be showing, just look up the list of documentaries that have been allowed to enter Public Domain.  Every month there are shows that have lost their royalty protection.  2 months later they show up on one of the H or D channels.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 00:17
American Chopper? Bio of Lisa Marie Presley? I mean come on!  Thats why I went on to History Intrernational and Discovery Asia.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 01:15

Has anyone ever purchased any of their documentaries?

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 01:49
     Its hard to find a program on anything other than ancient Egypt, Romans, ancient Greeks, religion, WWII and the Cold War. I can't remember how many times I was searching for a good program and all they had on was a show about all the crack theories about Jesus' siblings or Christianity in general.

But the absolute worst shows on that channel are about..... UFOs.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 05:12
UFO's? the truth is still out there, but those little green men escape every time! 
elenos
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 04:18
I had a TA who referred to the History Channel as "the Hitler Channel" because all that they ever talked about was WWII.  Some of their programming can be interesting though, just make sure that you double check their facts before using them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>