Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

in a coventional war who would have won u

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: in a conventional war in 1987 who would have won nato or warsaw pact
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [75.00%]
4 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Maximus Germanicus I View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: in a coventional war who would have won u
    Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 01:21
Italy was also hemmed in by a Neutral Switzerland and Yugoslavia, but they could get troop into France.

The Key in 77 would be the French and the low countires. Coupled with The US and Westgermany inflicting a max amount of destruction to the Russians to slow the progress to the Rhine. Denmark and Norway would be a wild card, Denmark my likley fall however NATO naval superiority would keep the baltic at least semi open. Norway would not fall--What would Sweeden do? I think they would join a NATO war at least as a defensive measure as would Austria.

in 87-Like cryptic said was a year (I think 3 years too late) too late for the WP to even make it a war.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 02:14
Originally posted by Maximus Germanicus I

Italy was also hemmed in by a Neutral Switzerland and Yugoslavia, but they could get troop into France.

The Key in 77 would be the French and the low countires. Coupled with The US and Westgermany inflicting a max amount of destruction to the Russians to slow the progress to the Rhine. Denmark and Norway would be a wild card, Denmark my likley fall however NATO naval superiority would keep the baltic at least semi open. Norway would not fall--What would Sweeden do? I think they would join a NATO war at least as a defensive measure as would Austria.

in 87-Like cryptic said was a year (I think 3 years too late) too late for the WP to even make it a war.

Yeah i forgot about Switzerland because I always drive trough Austria.

Nah, Austria wouldnt join NATO. After WW 2 Austria was occupied by Soviet Union and Soviet Army left Austria making deal with them, that they will stay neutral.  Considering it i guess that austrians wouldnt like to risk as long as their borders wouldnt be violated.

As for Sweden, theyu did nothning when Germans took Norway in 1940 so I see no reason why should they act and join Nato against Soviet Union. They also didnt help Finland in 1939 against Soviets. And belive me, the decision about resignation from neutrality in Sweden would take years.

And still noone answered on my question about the strenght of NATO Air Forces in Europe. I still cant see the NATO air superiority in such conflict. In such conflict if the WP had air superiority, it could change the result of war and highly limit possibility of getting reinforcements from USA and Canada.

Edited by Mosquito - 15-Jul-2010 at 02:21
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 02:33
I don't think either side would have AS per see. I think the Air defeses in western europe coupled with better US/ Euro Air forces to include the French Mirage which was a battle tested excellent Air craft would prevent the WP from any type of air cover into the west.
However, I don't think NATO would have free skies over eastern europe either.

By 77 AD and ADA (Air Defense and Air Defense Artillery) had an advantage over Air power on both sides, thats why Stealth became so important. By 87 NATO had the ability to disect WP AD becuase of stealth, therefore being able to stifle or stimey WP air power by destroying there air bases.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 02:39
I just found that not only Germany but also Italy, Spain, Norway and Denmark had obsolete Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. I such situation there is no way that NATO would have superiority in case of conflict in Europe. In Italy F 104 was in use till 2004!!!!

Edited by Mosquito - 15-Jul-2010 at 02:43
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 02:40

Air Defense   1987 US study of WP

The USSR continues to modernize and expand what is already the most extensive strategic air defense network in the world. The mission is to be carried out by a strong pre-positioned national air defense force established in peacetime according to a unified concept and plan. The leadership appears to be in constant search for the optimum organizational structure of the air defense assets.

Major organizational changes instituted in 1980 transferred control of air defense aircraft, SAMs, and radars from national air defense authorities to local military district commanders. This change was probably implemented to provide battlefield commanders with greater flexibility. Even after reorganizing, the Soviets appeared to be dissatisfied with their air defense structure.

More recent shifts are apparently resubordinating surface-to-air missiles and aircraft back to the national air defense forces. The rationale may involve a desire for greater centralized control over weapons rather than the flexibility of the local commander in making certain decisions.

The Soviets have deployed a large number of strategic air defense systems with capabilities against aircraft flying at medium and high altitudes. They are now in the midst of a major effort to improve their capabilities against aircraft and cruise missiles that operate at low altitudes.

This effort includes upgrading their early warning and surveillance systems; deployment of more efficient data-transmission systems; as well as development and initial deployment of new aircraft, associated air-to-air missiles, SAMs, and airborne warning and control system (AWACS) aircraft.

Currently, the Soviets have more than 9,000 strategic SAM launchers, nearly 5,000 tactical SAM launchers (excluding handheld), and some 10,000 air defense radars. Approximately 2,250 air defense forces interceptor aircraft are dedicated to strategic defense. An additional 2,100 interceptors assigned to Soviet air Forces could be drawn upon for strategic defense missions. Collectively, these assets present a formidable defense barrier.

Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 02:42
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 02:47
Maximus you are showing aircraft which most of european airforces were not equipped with.
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 03:08
Originally posted by Mosquito

How many Tomcats, F16, Hornets and eagles were in Europe? As I said before, The British and Germans had only harriers and Tornados (if I rmember well the Germans had also outdated F104 starfighters).

RAF also has Jaguars, everybody always forgets those, poor Jaguars, dont worry I remember you and your funny noses.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 03:09
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 03:38

"Out of all armored vehicles that entered Grozny, 225 were destroyed in the first month alone, representing 10.23% of all the tanks committed to the campaign. The T-80 performed so poorly that General-Lieutenant A. Galkin, the head of the Armor Directorate, convinced the Minister of Defence after the conflict to never again procure tanks with gas-turbine engines.  After that T-80 MBTs were never again used to capture cities and instead supported infantry squads from a safe distance.

It wasnt the matter of quality of tanks. No intelligent commander will send the tanks into the city to fight on the narrow streets knowing that enemy has great opportunity to use anti tank weapons. And only an idiot will send the tanks to the city without infantry cover.

The Germans learned it in 1944 in Warsaw during Warsaw Uprising that tanks became easy targets so one can only be astonished that Russian generals used mass tank force to fight in the city and didnt even provide enough infantry to protect the sides and backs of those tanks.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 04:36

The French and the Dutch would not sit it out. More than likley it would be France and Holland saving Europe in 77 becuase at that time the plan called for a sacrifice of West Germany create as much hell is you could in Germany then make a stand at The Rhine.
Realistic WP goals would be blitzing West Germany, Denmark and maybe parts of the Netherlands and then declaring victory.   

The French also had a conscript army during the cold war.  The French commitment seems tailor made for them: a small number of elite, all volunteer units weaken Soviets in Germany then fall back, Germany gets swallowed (darn), the larger French conscript Army is only used to defend France proper. 

But.... Soviets on the Rhine and offering a cease fire effectively means a Soviet victory.  

The T-80 performed so poorly that General-Lieutenant A. Galkin, the head of the Armor Directorate, convinced the Minister of Defence after the conflict to never again procure tanks with gas-turbine engines.  
Though I agree that western tanks completely outclassed T-8os and T-72s, the first Chechen was saw a totally unprepared Russian army fight determined defenders.  The Second Chechen war with motivated Russians using the same equipment had far different results.

Edited by Cryptic - 15-Jul-2010 at 04:48
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 05:03
And if I remember well someone posted that USA had in Europe about 3000 tanks. It means that all together about 70.000 WP tanks would fight against about 10000-12000 NATO tanks. 
So even if inferior WP could have win a tank battle.
Its like Shermans or T 34's during WW2, to destroy 1 German tiger they had to use 4 or 5 but had enough to do it.

And considering WP superiority in the air those inferior WP tanks would have air cover while NATO tanks would have to trust its anti - air defence.
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 06:47
Where do you get your info?  the F-16 was standard NATO since 1979 for the Dutch, Danes and Nords.

The Dutch: From 1979 until now all remaining RNLAF squadrons (306, 311, 312, 313, 315, 322 and 323) are using NATO's standard fighter-bomber the multi role F-16 Fighting Falcon.

The US had around 4,000 of them, even if they weren't in Europe they could be there oh in about 12 hours. Not to mention the F-15, 18, 14.

How do you figure Air Sup of the WP--When Pakistan flying F-16s shot down 10 Russian piolted MIGs in the 80's. The F-15 in all air forces had an air-to-air combined record of 104 kills to 0 losses in air combat as of February 2008

Bottom line there was no Air Sup, for the WP. They had denail of Airspace over Eastern Europe due to ADA, as NATO could deny Airspace over Western Europe.

Plus you forget about the stealth fighter and bomber, they had penetrate Eastern Airspace and destroy air fields.
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 06:51
There was about 6,000 more tanks in the WP then NATO--However, they have to advance thr/ citites and difficult terrian, they need bridges and rivers--They would not have Aircover--NATO warthogs and Apaches (along with TOWs) had neutralize any numbers and to attack on that kind of terrian which would include Urban combat you need to have a 5 to 1 ratio--When you figure the quality of the NATO tanks into the numbers game NATO has about a 2 to 1 advantage, figure in Air Power and Attack Helios it isn't even a contest.
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 06:53
I don't doubt that the Russians could make it to the Rhine but that is where they had lose, they then would be in a protracted war with NATO and they could not sustain it. For the Russians to win they need to take the COGs of NATO (Paris and London) only then would a peace be brokered, they couldn't so WP would lose.
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 06:54
MOSQ where are the WP jets going to land, a jet can't fle forever, 117s along with Cruise missles would devesate WP Air Fields, no matter how far they fly into Russia
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 06:59
Well, we tend to leave out the Western Navies! I know that it is said that the WP had a plan to destroy all Western carriers! But, that is easier said than done! For one, if the Western carrier groups were placed in a stand off position, they could, as was mentioned, only be attacked in a conventional manner by either long range bombers, who would be easy prey for the F-14's, etc., and/or by one way suicide attacks. In other words the attacking aircraft could reach the carrier groups but had no chance of returning to a safe airfield.

If indeed WP pilots had the desire to make a one way attack, then I would suspect that the WP was also willing to loose at least 500 aircraft and pilots! Of course my 500 is merely a guess, but F-14's could take out enemy aircraft over 1,000 miles from the fleet, then return and reload.

But, if such an attack was not successful, then the WP faced even more problems. And, one has to realize that not all Western carriers whould actually be in a position to be attacked in force by the WP! They would then form up again, and face the next attack, if any could then be organzed.

Again, the WP number of actual tanks, and tanks actually capable of fighting is somewhat of a fake number, that is, as I have already mentioned, a big difference when that is taken into account! Thus, it is possible that after the first three days of the conflict, their might well be but about 15,000 to 20,000 WP tanks still in service?

If the West only had 9,000 battle ready tanks available, and assuming that these tanks were formed into battle some where West of the initial attacks, then with a 4 to 5 to one kill ratio, they could actually take care of the 15 to 20 thousand WP tanks! Especially if the WP was forced into the already designated killing areas! It is mostly a matter of the distance the Western tanks could take on and destroy the WP tanks!

Thus you would attack, destroy and move back to another safe distance and repeat step one, etc.! Taking this scenerio as possible, then the WP tanks would rarely get off a good shot at the Western tanks!

Note, that if the WP was able to control the skies for very long, then this scenerio would not hold for long, but as has been mentioned, there is little doubt that NATO forces whould have long since have bombed or mined all of the attacking forces airfields, leaving them forced to abandon their aircraft or die!

Note again, this is 1987!

But, all of war is sometimes based upon pure chance! And, communications! Thus a "convential EMP device or devices" spread arround W. Europe, might well have taken out most of NATO's communications and radar coverage?

Take that away, and NATO could well be overrun!

Who really knows?

But, it is fun to consider all of the "what if's?"

Edited by opuslola - 15-Jul-2010 at 08:00
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 07:20
In the case of such great conflict the Dutch Air Forces are simply too small to be taken into account. And the fact is that major western european powers did have obsolete air forces. Even in the Dutch Air Forces F 16s were less than half of their planes, the rest were.... good old F 114 and canadian CF - 5.

You raised interesting questions about landings. The WP planists saw this problem and prepared for it. Only in Poland were built hundrieds of places where jets could land. Usually it were parts of the roads situated in the forests prepared to become fully operational in case of need with underground facilities. As far as I remember, most of them were empty, but could have been used if needed. I do belive that in case of conflict the WP was better prepared for the situation that airfields were destroyed than NATO. While Im really not sure if Western Europe was prepared to host a 1000 or more US planes in case if their own aierfields were destroyed or damaged.

This is the fact - in the end of 70ties most of western European NATO countries had outdated Air Forces - and belive me or not - they still have outdated Air Forces. For last over 30 years Germany, Italy, Spain and Great Britain are working on the contruction of new modern fighter plane. If I remember well they started in the end of 70ties and are about to finish it right now. They just proudly presented a jet which is called "EUROFIGHTER"..... and guess what..... they were working on it so long that it is obsolete now ;)

Edited by Mosquito - 15-Jul-2010 at 07:23
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 07:31
As for anti aircraft defence NATO didnt have anything better than this Soviet system:

Even if Soviet fighters werent able to neutralise all NATO apaches and other helicopters - S 300 could do it.

Do not understimate the power of the dark side Max.

Edited by Mosquito - 15-Jul-2010 at 07:39
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2010 at 07:50
The Soviet helicopter lacked the long range weapons of the Apache (some apaches were armed with stingers of all things, Didn't they do a number on the Russians) I agree that both AD was formidable and wit out stealth the allies could not pentrate it, in 77 it would have been tough but in 87 we have 117s and cruise missles.

Landing Planes is one thing but servicing re fueling and rearming is a nother, with 117s, and CMs denying Air fields and logistics hubs the WP would be in a bad way.

I still think the Poles, Czechs and Hungarians would have risen up simply becuase they knew if the WP won they would never be free of them.

The East Germans wouldn't they would be to happy ttrying to take over the rest of Germany.

Op makes a good point the standoff range of the F14 and F15 was so great they would be blowing Migs out of the sky before the migs new what hit them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>