Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For you religious nuts: Do babies have souls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For you religious nuts: Do babies have souls?
    Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:26
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Ignoring the complexities of the human language.
Babies certainly have souls - and complex personalities - from before the day they are born, and exist in the afterlife in whatever form the rest of us do. Which is something no human can answer.
That's very true, babies can be very witty, and have a personality beyoned the hardwired instincts of feeding, cyring for food, and diaper changes.

Not in the first few months, no way. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:30
Originally posted by Seko

When the soul enters a body is difficult to figure.

[32:7] He is the One who perfected everything He created, and started the creation of the human from clay.

[32:8] Then He continued his reproduction through a certain lowly liquid.

[32:9] He shaped him and blew into him from His spirit. And He gave you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brains; rarely are you thankful.

[4:1] O people, observe your Lord; the One who created you from one being (soul), and created from it its mate, then spread from the two many men and women. You shall regard GOD, by whom you swear, and regard the parents. GOD is watching over you.

22:5. O people, if you have any doubt about resurrection, (remember that) we created you from dust, and subsequently from a tiny drop, which turns into a hanging (embryo), then it becomes a fetus that is given life or deemed lifeless. We thus clarify things for you. We settle in the wombs whatever we will for a predetermined period.* We then bring you out as infants, then you reach maturity. While some of you die young, others live to the worst age, only to find out that no more knowledge can be attained beyond a certain limit. Also, you look at a land that is dead, then as soon as we shower it with water, it vibrates with life and grows all kinds of beautiful plants

When God created Adam he told the angels to bow down before His creation:

Once I design him, and blow into him from My spirit, you shall fall prostrate before him.

The Soul is the real person.

2:286] GOD never burdens a soul beyond its means: to its credit is what it earns, and against it is what it commits.

The soul is not the physical body. It came with God's spirit. However, people can wrong or do good for their own soul. The soul matures as the person experiences life. People cannot kill their soul. They can kill their body. The soul may enter a body once a fetus is formed (from 40 days to maturity 35-40 weeks). I would think that babies do have a soul.

OK, I have had a revelation. Seko you've cracked it for me.  Is this from the Qur'an?  If so, I am a Muslim.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:36
Originally posted by Zagros

Ignoring the complexities of the human language.
Babies certainly have souls - and complex personalities - from before the day they are born, and exist in the afterlife in whatever form the rest of us do. Which is something no human can answer.
That's very true, babies can be very witty, and have a personality beyoned the hardwired instincts of feeding, cyring for food, and diaper changes.

Not in the first few months, no way. 

Observe one when you have one, and ask others who do, just by that you can see that many do. 

It is not expanse as ours, however it is there.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:47
In the first few months? nop.  I have a baby nephew and his dad just said he was an eating and pooing machine for the first few months only after that did he start being intellectually responsive - the process of learning.

Human babies are born prematurely anyway, though it is by design.  The danger with our physiology is that if the baby develops to the correct extent in the womb then it will not fit thru the pelvic cavity.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:50
The quotes are from the Qur'an Zagros. The small summary at the bottom are my thoughts. I hope you will have many more revelations. As I hope we all will continueously subject ourselves to critical self awareness. We submit to the will of God.Smile
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:53
I'm being serious btw.   Though I am still very dubious of the five pillars.  I must get myself a copy of the Qur'an.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 16:10

I'm being serious btw.   Though I am still very dubious of the five pillars.  I must get myself a copy of the Qur'an.

Try several if it is an English translation, and in Farsi too, the translations differ greatly in some aspects.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 17:06

Originally posted by Northman

PS..  You didn't answer my question Zagros - how or when do we qualify for having a soul - is it age, IQ or level of education? 

Sounds sarcastic, that's why.

Admittedly, I sharpened the question a bit from the original one that you didn't answer - but sarcastic - no!
I frased it this way for you to realise that it couldn't be answered without creating a conflict to your previous statements.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 00:06
In the first few months? nop.  I have a baby nephew and his dad just said he was an eating and pooing machine for the first few months only after that did he start being intellectually responsive - the process of learning.

Considering babies have very little motor control in the first few months, how do you know he wasn't self-conscious?

I know I was at 7 months, because I have very vivid memories as I said before.

Try several if it is an English translation, and in Farsi too, the translations differ greatly in some aspects.

Yusuf Ali or Muhammed (formerly Marmaduke) Pickthall are two of the best into English.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 02:41

He became intellectually active from about 4 months on.

Admittedly, I sharpened the question a bit from the original one that you didn't answer - but sarcastic - no!
I frased it this way for you to realise that it couldn't be answered without creating a conflict to your previous statements.

Not really, since I made no definitive assertion on souls and was wondering if they wer eocnsaidered to have intellects or whetherthey wee just floating masses of cabbage like energy.

But I have my answer now.

Thanks Omar.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 03:34

Considering babies have very little motor control in the first few months, how do you know he wasn't self-conscious?

I know I was at 7 months, because I have very vivid memories as I said before.

Yusuf Ali or Muhammed (formerly Marmaduke) Pickthall are two of the best into English.

I have both of those at home aside from a Bosnian/Arabic version,  you are right they are good.

Edited by es_bih - 10-Aug-2007 at 03:34
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 05:35
Originally posted by HEROI

AN OLD APE HAS THE SAME SELF-COUNSCIOUSNES AS AN 4 YEARS OLD HUMAN BABIE,DOES THAT MAKE THE APE,WHO IS JUST AS SELF AWARE OF ITS EXISTANCE AS THE BABIE IS,AND RESPOSIBLE OF ITS ACTIONS JUST THE SAME AS THE BABIE,SO DOES THAT APE HAS A SOUL?

IF YES--------- WHY ? WHERE IS IT MENTIONED IN RELIGION,AND WHEN.

IF NOT ----------------WHYYYY,THE OLD APE IS PROVEN TO BE AS MUCH OF AN LIVING CREATION OF NATURE AS TO SCIENTIFICALY QUALIFY AS AN 4 YEARS OLD HUMAN BABIE.

Me pune,me perpjekje.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 06:18

I believe the most widely acknowledged perception or definition of "soul" is the disembodied spirit of a dead human. As follows, only the soul  gets an afterlife - the body (with its brain/intellect) remains here.

I would say most widely acknowledged Northman, but according to orthodox christian teaching, our bodies and souls are united in the afterlife.

If soul is connected to intellect doesnt that just weaken the case for a soul?
I mean if a soul is made of supernatural energy, a substance that is beyond natural observation, then its development would be independant of natural influences and would only be subject to the rules set down by its supernatural origin, or its creator.
By connecting a soul to intellect is nothing more than just confusing your subconscious with "soul".

Agreed in full.

Does spirit or soul mean supernatural? (Meaning beyond the natural or expected state of the world). Not always. We talk of black spiritual songs. Hey bro! you gotta have soul! Soul music is part of modern life. The music has soul, the inner feelings we get by listening. Get on down! Move to the beat brothers and sisters! Nothing supernatural takes place by hearing the music. The word is therefore to do with the release, uplifting or freeing of mood, attitude and feelings. You can feel happy at a party for the spirit of the occasion has lifted you up rather than dragged you down.

Ah, yes, but this is not the definition of the "proper" soul. By that I mean the essence that makes us unique independent of the operations of the world. It would be like me saying the Holy Spirit and the spirit of being pumped up for a football match were the same.

Well in that case the spirit has an intellect meaning that a baby spends its entire existence with the intellect of a baby.

Souls do not have an independent intelligence, since intelligence comes from our brain tissue, souls are not made of brain matter, so therefore souls are not intelligent. They operate under different rules since they exist outside of this world. Intelligence determines what actions you take, but your soul determines nothing, it's just there from the moment you are granted life.

What is a soul?  Is it just an energy force? Our body is the appliance and our soul is the electricity?  That I can accept, it makes sense, but then again this energy cannot be self aware if it has no intellect...

Your soul is not a separate force from your body. You exist as three divisions, body, mind and soul. Your body is your physical form that can manipulate the world around you. Your mind is a metaphysical form that you can use to manipulate ideas, and form thoughts. Your soul is a spiritual form, however this form we are unaware of consciously, just as we are unaware of our bodies internal processes (digestion) and our minds internal processes (dreams).

You're completely misconstruing what I said - I stated that a baby does not have a consciousness beyond that of crying, eating and pooing and judging by Seko's posty it appears that i am 100% spot on. The point is, that if a baby dies within the first year, its soul will be of no more significance than that of a new born kitten.

Wrong on principle, who says that usefulness of souls is based on physical or mental ability. My own thoughts are that you cannot combine the three. Perhaps human souls just have a more innate "worth" than that of a kitten, even if they are braindead (cat is smarter) or enfeebled (cat is stronger).

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 10:46

Not really. Outdated classical style interpretation. Since then a few revised translations from others are more consistent with modern linguistics.

Reformist Translation

The Message

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 11:15

Not really. Outdated classical style interpretation. Since then a few revised translations from others are more consistent with modern linguistics.

Reformist Translation

The Message

I have not come across those two, thank you so much Seko. kran arkadas.

Edited by es_bih - 10-Aug-2007 at 11:16
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 14:40

AN OLD APE HAS THE SAME SELF-COUNSCIOUSNES AS AN 4 YEARS OLD HUMAN BABIE,DOES THAT MAKE THE APE,WHO IS JUST AS SELF AWARE OF ITS EXISTANCE AS THE BABIE IS,AND RESPOSIBLE OF ITS ACTIONS JUST THE SAME AS THE BABIE,SO DOES THAT APE HAS A SOUL?

IF YES--------- WHY ? WHERE IS IT MENTIONED IN RELIGION,AND WHEN.

IF NOT ----------------WHYYYY,THE OLD APE IS PROVEN TO BE AS MUCH OF AN LIVING CREATION OF NATURE AS TO SCIENTIFICALY QUALIFY AS AN 4 YEARS OLD HUMAN BABIE.

HEROI, no need to post your question twice, i'm pretty sure they saw your question the first time around, especially with all those caps Confused.   Rest assured, if someone has an opinion/answer they will post it. 
Kilroy was here.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 16:22
I had already become sure of that.But since you posted it for the third time i thought that you had an opinion/answer,it seams you came in this topic to dissapoint me Confused
Now would you please delete my second time post if posible,cause it was a mistake,andn do what you wish with your third time post??

Edited by HEROI - 10-Aug-2007 at 16:22
Me pune,me perpjekje.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 16:33
I quoted you to be as specific as possible.

I'll leave your second post, it was an honest mistake.  Just remember not to double post in the future. 

-kilroy. 

Edited by kilroy - 10-Aug-2007 at 16:39
Kilroy was here.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 01:06

I am highly suspicious of anyone who calls themselves "Progressive" or "Reformist". To me it suggests that they may not be able to stand up to extensive questioning, so they have to qualify themselves. With classical styles as you put it, you know your what getting is cold hard conservatism untouched by political correctness - well, political correctness of this century at least, but it is easier to adjust for 1930s thinking in my opinion.
The one on amazon doesn't even say who the translator is.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 11-Aug-2007 at 01:07
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 05:11
Well bless my soul, where do we come from? For those who believe in reincarnation the spirit or point of awareness, enters the body at birth and leaves the body at death. The relationship between spirit and body is like horse and rider.  However the brain with intelligence is hardwired into the body and must be properly exercised to bring out the full potential.  
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>