Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

62nd anniversary of Hiroshima

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62nd anniversary of Hiroshima
    Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:15
I don't see why not. Nobody is more worth than an innocent Japanese baby.
Babies are buying Coke now? Guess the Japanese are very advanced!
I didn't realize the Atomic Bomb was the first time a baby died in the world. Anymore more facts you'd like to share?
Were the Japanese invading others with a pillow fight in mind? Is there first hand killing of civilian babies not worth a mention? And believe me, there are horrific stories that the Japanese soldiers caused first hand and not by the outcome of a explosive.
Just realized Constantine's post had what I had in mind.
Constantine, what type of mentality is this? You killed my children so I have right to kill your children?
The fight was still going on on mainland Asia if I'm not mistaken. So not like what your saying, but if your going to bring up the "Baby killing" as your main arguement then it could be argued that the bomb only stopped them from killing babies of parents who never even wanted apart of the war. People's who's government wasn't even the AGREESOR.
OK, kill those bastards and stay away from children. Or is this too complicated for you to understand?
That was tried through Island hopping for how many years? Despite losing considerable parts of their Navy and Airforce, losing Islands that only inched closer to their mainland, they still killed those poor innocent little babies and didn't not want to stop.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:22
The fight was still going on on mainland Asia if I'm not mistaken. So not like what your saying, but if your going to bring up the "Baby killing" as your main arguement then it could be argued that the bomb only stopped them from killing babies of parents who never even wanted apart of the war. People's who's government wasn't even the AGREESOR.

Pardon me but you  cannot justify a mass killing with saying If we dont mass kill them, they will mass kill us or They already mass killed us..

I should also add, this argument can be used against USA babies too..

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:27
Pardon me but you  cannot justify a mass killing with saying If we dont mass kill them, they will mass kill us or They already mass killed us..
I didn't, I was just answering one of your arguements. I still believe the bomb was dropped to end the war and to prevent further American Soldier's deaths.
I should also add, this argument can be used against USA babies too..
And despite me hating to admit it, I'd agree. I blame Bush for the Iraq war which was nothing but a slaughterhouse, and still is...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:28
Originally posted by Bulldog

So let me get this straight, you think throwing an atomic bomb on two cities, killing 150,000 civillians and many more injuries and health problems for years to come is "civillised"?

It seems your idea of being "civillised" is seriously warped, anything the side you support is humanitarian and civillised be that dropping nukes, wiping out cities, targettin civillian populations...
The actions may have been necessary to win the war but it definately was uncivillised barbarism.

It was war. Japan chose war, the Allies were forced into it. If you enter into war, you put the welfare of your people at risk, the only way to ensure their safety is to gain military primacy and win. Japan failed to do that, and so the Allies had both the right and the capacity to inflict a relatively small amount of civilian damage (yes, 150,000 is small compared to tens of millions) to end the worst war in human history.

Why does no one object to the firebombing of Tokyo which killed even more people? Does a mushroom cloud really change things? Bombing civilians in warfare isn't an aberration, it is the norm. Virtually every participant did it and suffered from it in that war. War is itself uncivilised and cruel, not necessarily the participants who must adjust themselves to it, so we can all thank the Japanese for so cruelly changing the game.

I never claimed every action of the Allies was good, only the they were qualitatively better than those of the Axis. And they were. The Axis began the war, killed the most people, and killed in the crueller and more macabre ways.

So to answer your question, yes war is bad. But we knew that already. So to place Hiroshima and Nagasaki as somewhere over and above other actions in that war is flawed. The bombings were simply a novel and efficient way of doing what conventional bombing was already achieving, except at much less risk and cost to US airforce servicemen.

There are alot of people and groups who say the same about the U.S.

Then it is great that most of the world disagrees with them and disagrees with the use of violence against the US at home. Back in WWII, however, virtually the entire planet was quite happy for Japan to receive liberal punishment. That's saying something.

So by your logic, to protect their "civillised" way of life and for the benefit of humanity they can drop nukes on America, attack civillian targets, bomb cities and create a state of fear.

Then I guess you must support Iran's nucleur ambitions, terrorist organistions against the U.S, Iraqi resistance fighters, North Korea's nucleur ambitions.

I don't support nuclear proliferation, especially to small and scared nations, as those nations are the most likely to use them. If I had my way no one would have nukes, and if I couldn't have that then it would only be the three most powerful. As for the Iraqi resistance, I certainly can't blame them for trying to defend hearth and home. As for terrorist organisations, no I don't support organisations who are trying to engineer a return to the middle ages, much as I like to study that period of history it was an awful time to be alive.

And as I said before, most of the world opposes the use of violence against the US at home. So if a deranged fringe group has some extreme opinion, that doesn't make it valid. When most of the world holds an opinion, then we should start paying attention.

When 9/11 happened the world poured out its grief to the USA. When Hiroshima and Nagasaki turned to charcoal, the world at large had little sympathy. It was the attack to end an awful war, and no more destructive than many others attacks in that war. It is just used as a dramatic pin-up today by anyone who wants to potray the US as some sort of monster because they have some other axe to grind, and in WWII she was regarded as exactly the opposite by virtually the whole globe.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:30
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I didn't realize the Atomic Bomb was the first time a baby died in the world. Anymore more facts you'd like to share?

This is the stupidest justification attempt for nuclear bombings of Hiroshima & Nagazaki I have ever heard.

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Were the Japanese invading others with a pillow fight in mind? Is there first hand killing of civilian babies not worth a mention?

Either prove that I was advocating the Japanese regime and its crimes, or simply shut up.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:35

didn't, I was just answering one of your arguements. I still believe the bomb was dropped to end the war and to prevent further American Soldier's deaths.

I am sure If USA first priority is life of her soldier, She can find a better way..

Infact, even one bomb is enough to show japan that they lost war.

why two?

Then it is great that most of the world disagrees with them and disagrees with the use of violence against the US at home. Back in WWII, however, virtually the entire planet was quite happy for Japan to receive liberal punishment. That's saying something.

If you only listen yourself.. If you listen all world, dont be sure about it...
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 20:53
This is the stupidest justification attempt for nuclear bombings of Hiroshima & Nagazaki I have ever heard.
You caught on quick, it was ment to be...LOL
Either prove that I was advocating the Japanese regime and its crimes, or simply shut up.
Well you don't seem to have a comprehension of it, so will I shut up, nope, don't think so buddy.
I am sure If USA first priority is life of her soldier, She can find a better way..
Well, Military might didn't work, Politics didn't work, can't really see another option. Were we just to turn around and let them have Asia?
Infact, even one bomb is enough to show japan that they lost war.
Common sense says that, but if you read the History you'd know that the motions for surrender only went into motion after the second by the Emperor, and even then the Military tried stopping it.

galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 21:27
I can say what Japan get is what come arounds goes arounds ,they get this bomb because the act of the goverments on Korea ,China and south east asian,this is part of Karma  .
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 03:05

In 1937 Japan launched an unprovoked war of aggression against China, slaughtering millions.  The Japanese followed this up in 1941 by attacking the US, Britain, British Commonwealth and Dutch territiries.  Again the death toll ran into millions.  The Japanese in their killing made little distinction between military or civilian - the Rape of Nanking has already been mentioned, but they also carried out large scale massacres of civilians in the Philipines and murdered many in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, countless millions in China etc.  Other crimes of the Japanese included the enslavement of women in the occupied territories to use as prostitutes for their troops.  The Japanese also set up a chemical warfar centre in China where they carried out experiments using toxic chemicals on thosands of Chinese civilians.

By July 1945, while the Japanese aggressors had been pushed back substantially  they still occupied a large part of China and all of Korea and were still murdering civilians and POWs in the territories they controlled.  Further the Japanese were preparing to resist an invasion, even training and arming school girls to resist the Allies as well as in more practicle terms keeping thousands of troops and planes in reserve to attack the Allies once they had landed.  Casualty projections (including Japanese civilian losses) for an invasion of Japan were estimated to be upwards of a million.

At the Potsdam conference the Allies give there terms of surrender to the Japanese see below -

"The proclamation stated that the full force of the United States, the British Empire, and National Government of the Republic of China would strike the final blows upon Japan. They warned that "The might that now converges on Japan is immeasurably greater than that which, when applied to the resisting Nazis, necessarily laid waste to the lands, the industry and the method of life of the whole German people" and this power of the Allies would lead to "the inevitable and complete destruction of the Japanese armed forces and just as inevitably the utter devastation of the Japanese homeland" unless Japan ended the war. Also that:

• Militarism in Japan must end.
  • Japan would be occupied until the basic objectives set out in this proclamation were met.
  • The terms of the Cairo Declaration would be carried out and Japanese sovereignty would be limited to the islands of Honshū, Hokkaidō, Kyūshū, Shikoku, and such minor islands as the Allies determined.
  • The Japanese army would be completely disarmed and allowed to return home.
  • Those who had led Japan to war must be permanently and finally discredited, and abandoned.
  • War criminals would be punished including those who had "visited cruelties upon our prisoners". Freedom of speech, of religion, and of thought, as well as respect for the fundamental human rights shall be established.
  • Japan should be permitted to maintain a viable industrial economy but not industries which would enable her to re-arm for war.
  • The treaty was not intended to enslave the Japanese as a race or as a nation.
  • Allied forces would be withdrawn from Japan as soon as these objectives have been accomplished
  • "We call upon the government of Japan to proclaim now the unconditional surrender of all Japanese armed forces, and to provide proper and adequate assurances of their good faith in such action. The alternative for Japan is prompt and utter destruction." "

The Japanese Governement rejected out of hand these terms, which were significantly more generous than those given to Germany in May 1945.

The consequence for the Japanes of their refusal to agree peace was the declaration of war by the Soviets as had been agreed by the Allies and the atomic bombings on Japan. 

Even after the bombings and Soviet attack the Japanese war cabinet was deadlocked and it was only the deciding vote of the Emperor that caused them to surrender. 

The responsiblity for the dead of Hiroshima, Nagassaki and all those forgotten millions who dead in the war in the far east lies entirely with the Japanese militarists and their supporters who launched a war of aggression.  If they had not gone to war none would have died and if they had surrendered when given the oppurtunity it would not have been necessary to drop the atomic bombs.

Edited by Patch - 07-Aug-2007 at 03:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 03:17
Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were tagets of an enemy country. Nanking was a surrenderd city. Thats why the latter was not justified.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 04:33
I don't think those against the use of nukes on Japan are against attacking Japan per se, but that using the Nukes was unnecessary in itself to win the war and that killing civilians is morally the same thing no matter on who's side your on. I fail to see the reason or justice in targeting and killing of civilians on such a large indiscriminate scale. The military gains are questionable, for that particular option. The war could of been won differently.

While Japan needs to go a  very long way in understanding its own dark past, i am equally chilled by the shrugging of shoulders 'they had it coming' attitude to the mass incineration of civilians.

Originally posted by Feanor

If everybody is a legitimate target, what the f**k is terrorism?
an adjective that gets used to describe everyone else's behavior.

Edited by Leonidas - 07-Aug-2007 at 04:36
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 04:54
Originally posted by Leonidas

The military gains are questionable, for that particular option. .

On the contrary the military gains from the bombing could not have been greater - they forced the Japanese surrender saving perhaps 1 million lives.  Ending the war in days rather than 6 months or more.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 06:06
By 1946  it was clear to the occupying powers that the Japanese would have been compelled to surrender by November and the bomb was in the final analysis not necessary. In August 1945 all that was known was that the Japanese had fought for every mm of territory and the Americans would have to undertake a very dangerous invasion, and the British Empire, a very difficult clearing opertaion in SE Asia.

Hindsight is great, but the decision made in 1945 was the correct one with respect to information that was available.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 07:16
'Let me say only this much to the moral issue involved: Suppose Germany had developed two bombs before we had any bombs. And suppose Germany had dropped one bomb, say, on Rochester and the other on Buffalo, and then having run out of bombs she would have lost the war. Can anyone doubt that we would then have defined the dropping of atomic bombs on cities as a war crime, and that we would have sentenced the Germans who were guilty of this crime to death at Nuremberg and hanged them?' Le Szilrd
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 07:55
As usual, we are supposed to forgive the Americans and the British when they commit atrocities. When they drop nukes on civilians, nukes become instruments that save lives, and transform countries to peaceful pacifists.

If this is true, someone should nuke US ASAP, so that they become a civilised country.

Some question why not mention Japanese atrocities or other bombing campaigns. The reason is the Japanese are neither killing the Iraqis by the millions nor have thousands of nuclear warheads targetting major cities on the planet today.

The Japanese have mended their ways, but Americans haven't. It is our duty to fight the evil empire of our time.

Much that is written here, about the Japanese fighting to the end, etc. are lies. They knew they lost the war, and they were trying to arrange surrender for months. They were talking to the Soviets about it as well.

Americans wanted to dictate the terms of surrender, and they wanted to keep the Soviets out of the negotiations. They also wanted to show off their new weapon, so that Soviets wouldn't get any ideas about expanding by force into Europe and China.

So they obliterated the Japanese cities one after the other. Nagasaki was bombed only 3 days later than Hiroshima, which is not enough time for arranging surrender. In fact Japanese haven't surrendered immediately after the nukes, Americans launched a huge fire bombing campaign the next week. Surrender came on the 15tth August, 6 days after the second bomb. If the Americans wanted to wait for surrender, they would have waited for a week after the first bomb.

The reason they destroyed two cities was they had two bombs of different types ready. If they had had three bombs they would have destroyed three cities, and Anglos and their coconuts worldwide would be telling us why it was absolutely necessary to bomb three cities, and the Japanese would never have surrendered with just two bombs...

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 07-Aug-2007 at 07:56
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:56
something i dont get is why the americans used the excuse "we prevented more civilians dying by trowing a atomic bomb". If this can be a excuse for it, then they should also trow another one above bagdad to prevent civilian killings...

I had heard they where planning to trow one into vietnam, but it didnt happend because of some factors.

With such cheap excuses they cover their atrocities up.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 09:11
Originally posted by Patch

Originally posted by Leonidas

The military gains are questionable, for that particular option. .

On the contrary the military gains from the bombing could not have been greater - they forced the Japanese surrender saving perhaps 1 million lives.  Ending the war in days rather than 6 months or more.
The Japanese were a spent force; the US owned seas around them, they had no fuel and stuff all air power. Not much of real danger to me. So why the rush? The soviets of course. Otherwise the best way to handle them was to surround, contain and let them implode.

Either way the conventional bombings was just as effective, so i cant see any reason beyond what Bey has already mentioned to use these brand new weapons. At least with the normal bombs you can pretend to aim for the factories.

This was a war crime, but the winner writes the rules.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 14:51
USA said they wouldn't accept an unconditional surrender - but they did! japan said we want to keep our emperor and voila, they have kept it. why?

japan after the meiji restauration created an imerpialist empire similar to western european powers at the time, first annexing Korea and later Manchuria, eventually staging war with China. those were hard fought gains over the years but the Red Arym destroyed the Kwantung Army in a matter of weeks, taking away for that the japanese needed years to built up, e.g. the industry in Manchukuo. a much celebrated event of the pacific war was the raising of the flag on mt. suribachi which was considdered Japanese soil. well, Red Army sodliers also already occupied Sachalin and Kuriles islands and were already on the jump to Hokkaido.

one thing that makes the Red Army unresistable is its indifference to the loss of human lifes, if you studied the Eastern Front you'll know. on the eastern frotn another itnerstign thing happened. German untis were defeated by Soviet Forces and surrednered....to the Allies! why did they do that? of course because they didn't wanted to end up in Siberian Gulags but in warm and comfortable Allied PoW camps. but everyoen agrees correctly it was the Red Army who brought about the downfall of the 3. Reich.

so now back to Japan and the Emperor. as we all know the US was still calculating possible victims in a possible invasion of Japan while the Red Army ivnasion was basically already udnerway. so, by now Japan has already lost everyhting they gained after the Meiji restauration and now they were going to lose something that brought about this raise to power at all - their emperor! as we all know Emperors in Peoples Republics don't have a considderable lifespan. so the Japanese did what every smart Wehrmacht soldier in europe did, they escaped the Communist thread by surrendering to the allies! and voila, they keep the emperor. mission accomplished.

in relation to the topic. as we all know the Red Army is pretty indifferent to the loss of their own soldiers lives which was the primary argument of the US for the bombs. well, the bombs were a clear signal to the Soviets that the US was goign to claim their prize by all means necessary as it was probably expected that the Red Army would still invade the Japanese mainland despite its surrender to the Allies and install a pro-Soviet regime. afterall US troops occupied southern Korea well after the Japanese capitulation.... to prevent it falling to the Red Army.

if we look at the events the battle for Japan was in fact not the last battle of ww2 but the first battle of the Cold War.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 16:29
As someone pointed out earlier the fire bombings of tokyo and the bombing of all the other major japanese cities caused a great deal more damage and casualties than the atomic bombs by quite a bit.  I think what this arguement comes down to is whether people believe it is alright to do a little evil for the greater good or not.  My opinion is that the atomic bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima was necessary and the best option to take versus an invasion of the homeland.  Again as others have said the japanese civilians were being armed with pitchforks to fight the invading soldiers.  Even the estimated fatalities for the soldiers and civilians are incredible.  I should add that I probably never would have existed if the bombs hadn't been dropped and we had been forced to invade the mainland (my grandfather was in the marine corps and if I remember correctly would have been amongst the first or second wave landing).  Kudos to whoever mentioned the plot of the militarist officers trying to prevent the emperor from issuing an order for surrendering.  We dropped two bombs because the Japanese didn't surrender after the first, the psychological effect of dropping the bomb on cities was much greater than if they had been dropped on a mountain or in the sea.

Excellent points Temujin.

Edited by Justinian - 07-Aug-2007 at 16:35
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 23:57
Justinian, whether the bomb had been dropped or not, your grand father would have not gone ashore, by 1946 as I said it was clear the Japanese were finished.
Howevere it was still the right decision since the US did not have that knowledge in 45.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>