Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Pope: A Discussion of the Roman Primacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pope: A Discussion of the Roman Primacy
    Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 08:50
What is offtopic in my message?

I don't look at the subject from within the Church's teachings because I don't consider these teachings are absolute.

I try to be objective.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by Menumorut

What is offtopic in my message?

I don't look at the subject from within the Church's teachings because I don't consider these teachings are absolute.

I try to be objective.

What is off topic about your message?

Well, first it is redundant, seeing as you are simply reiterating what you have said earlier. We actually gave you the last word on the subject, if you will recall. Second, everyone gave this thread a break for two months because of the interminable discussions over whether or not Peter was at Rome, which is part of the Tradition of both East and West. I then asked everyone to return to the original topic, which is supposed to be considered within the context of Church teaching, and you responded with a regurgitation of your pet theory. This thread is supposed to deal with the traditional historical narrative; anything as speculative as what you are proposing should be discussed in a new thread. You will return to the topic, or you will start your own thread.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 22-Dec-2007 at 16:24
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 16:33
We actually gave you the last word on the subject, if you will recall.

You gived the last word but ignored what I have sayed. So, I can believe only that you are joking when you say you gived me the last word.

This thread is supposed to deal with the traditional historical narrative; anything as speculative as what you are proposing should be discussed in a new thread. You will return to the topic, or you will start your own thread.

You didn't figured in the opening message that we should remain in the traditional view of the historical events and if you would have did this, would not have been dialogal.

Why is speculative what I have sayed? Why is the oficial theory more authoritative? The oficial theory is based only on uncheckable legends, while what I have presented has strong objective suport.

I see that I haven't with whom to discuss, because you are afraid to put in discussion the corectitude of the Church's tradition and I will not continuate any more, but my apreciation is that you are not interested for the truth but for something else.

Edited by Menumorut - 22-Dec-2007 at 16:51

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 16:53
Originally posted by Menumorut

I see that I haven't with whom to discuss, because you are afraid to put in discussion the corectitude of the Church's tradition and I will not continuate any more, but my apreciation is that you are not interested for the truth but for something else.

Yes, yes: I am interested in everything but the truth, the whole world is a conspiracy, etc. LOL

Like I said, start a thread if you feel the subject has merit. Such a topic would deserve its own thread precisely because it is so speculative. Here we are discussing things in context of the traditional historical narrative, and "correcting" it would take -- as we have seen -- an inordinate amount of time, and would detract from the discussion of anything else.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 26-Dec-2007 at 01:32
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 20:15
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by arch.buff

The one belief of the Orthodox that seems to slip my understanding or nature of beliefs is how Christ can give a position of honor without giving pastoral duties as well, it almost seems empty in that aspect, I speak lightly....it is empty in that aspect.

Quite alright, quite alright; I shall forgive you for speaking lightly. After all, with the plethora of extant documents from the patristic era, I could hardly expect you to research a subject fully before commenting on it. Ok, now I speak lightly (in an altogether new third context). Wink Couldn't resist. Anyway, on to the analysis.

It really isn't all that difficult to understand, and the reason for it is clear. The problem with the whole issue is that Romanists through the ages have attempted to construct a strict either or dichotomy: the maximalist -- and unjustifiable -- Roman interpretation of the primacy or absolute anarchy. Unfortunately, this method doesn't apply all that well to reality.

I think I shall refer you back to something I wrote on the first page of this thread, in response to Jackal God:

"The gift of the keys to Peter (Matthew 16) does signify a special authority given to Peter. Indeed Peter generally speaks for the rest; still, we must remember that Peter's status cannot be separated from his confession. If his successor falls into error, he cannot exercise the prerogatives that rightly belong to the See of Peter.

That said, each of the Patriarchal sees possesses certain prerogatives. Rome's include, among other things, the right to hear appeals, the right to sit in the first seat at an ecumenical council, etc. The gift of the keys and ancient Roman prerogatives cannot, however, be taken to imply an absolute monarchical authority. Indeed Peter himself never presumed to act in an authoritarian fashion. While he spoke first, he spoke with the Church and never in its despite."

I think that sums up the basics of how the Orthodox view the exercise of primacy. The proper exercise of primacy within the Church is further illustrated by the 34th Canon of the Holy Apostles:

Can. 34 "The bishops of every nation must acknowledge him who is first among them and account him as their head, and do nothing of consequence without his consent; but each may do those things only which concern his  own parish, and the country places which belong to it. But neither let him (who is the first) do anything without the consent of all;  for so there will be unanimity, and God will be glorified through the Lord in the Holy Spirit."

It should be noted that this could be applied on the local level, in order to affirm the position and role of a metropolitan, or on a broader level, in order to affirm the position and role of a patriarch. Note, however, that those who hold various forms of primacy are required to receive the "consent of all; for so there will be unanimity." As the eminent Orthodox theologian Ioannis Zizioulas puts it:

"Now primacy in the Church has never been exercised by rotation. This is a clear indication that primacy is attached to a particular office or ministry and to a particular person. Since, however, this office or ministry finds its raison d'tre in the synodical institution of which it is a part, it can only function in relation to those who comprise the synod, and never in isolation. Primacy, like everything else in the Church, even in God's being (the Trinity), is relational. There is no such thing as individual ministry, understood and functioning outside of reality of communion."

Zizioulas goes on to note that "primacy is not a legalistic notion implying the investment of a certain individual with power, but a form of diakonia, that is, of ministry in the strict sense of the term."

We also need to understand that the primacy enjoyed by the Roman see was attributed to her by virtue of her location in the capital of the Roman Empire, and not by virtue of her Petrine foundation. Consequently, the idea of any special charisms passing to the Roman bishops by virtue of the their claim to be the geographical successors of Peter is untenable. Indeed, it is believed that the first bishop of Rome to invoke the Petrine text (Matt. 16) was Stephen, in the third century, but we will shall come back to him. The Councils of Constantinople and Chalcedon amply demonstrate that the root of the position of Rome at the head of the Church is derived from the position of Rome as the capital of the oikoumene. The third canon of Constantinople clearly states:

Can. 3 "The Bishop of Constantinople, however, shall have the prerogative of honour after the Bishop of Rome; because Constantinople is New Rome."

and the twenty-seventh of Chalcedon reaffirms the point in more explicit language:

Can. 27 "Following in all things the decisions of the holy Fathers, and acknowledging the canon, which has been just read, of the One Hundred and Fifty Bishops beloved-of-God (who assembled in the imperial city of Constantinople, which is New Rome, in the time of the Emperor Theodosius of happy memory), we also do enact and decree the same things concerning the privileges of the most holy Church of Constantinople, which is New Rome. For the Fathers rightly granted privileges to the throne of old Rome, because it was the royal city. And the One Hundred and Fifty most religious Bishops, actuated by the same consideration, gave equal privileges to the most holy throne of New Rome, justly judging that the city which is honoured with the Sovereignty and the Senate, and enjoys equal privileges with the old imperial Rome, should in ecclesiastical matters also be magnified as she is, and rank next after her; so that, in the Pontic, the Asian, and the Thracian dioceses, the metropolitans only and such bishops also of the Dioceses aforesaid as are among the barbarians, should be ordained by the aforesaid most holy throne of the most holy Church of Constantinople; every metropolitan of the aforesaid dioceses, together with the bishops of his province, ordaining his own provincial bishops, as has been declared by the divine canons; but that, as has been above said, the metropolitans of the aforesaid Dioceses should be ordained by the archbishop of Constantinople, after the proper elections have been held according to custom and have been reported to him."

To sum it up, Rome owed her primacy to her position as the capital of the oikoumene. All of the bishops are Peter's successors (more on this in our discussion of Cyprian below). And finally, the proper exercise of primacy -- the right to which the Roman Church has forfeited due to her manifest heresy -- always takes place in an ecclesial context.

Hello Ako,

Wow, its been quite some time but, among other things, I had the priviledge of becoming sick(flu I think) so as to slow my response time down even slower. It turns out that was, infact, possible LOL 

So onto our merry discussion....

In regards to Ioannis Zizioulas, it would seem this vary theologian you prescribe to doesnt seem to see eye-to-eye on all issues with other Orthodox theologians, mainly his view of the Holy Trinity. He preposes a "relation" in which constitutes "communuion" and even goes onto prepose analogies(ie. Trinity is communion , so thus Church must be communion) of the created world and the un-created Trinity! Something that is not patristic theology. So for Zizi(excuse the shorthand) the concept of "communion" and "relation" are one and the same. So for Zizi, a person who is relation must also be in communion. This is a personal and very much philosophical belief. So, in Zizi's logic, wherby he makes no distinction between the Trinity and all created human beings, a person not in relation(ie a hermit or monk in isolation) cannot possibly be in communion!

Also in a site I found, in which I suspect you may have came across as well by your reference to the 34th Canon of the Apostles, we see Zizi's answer to varying questions on the subject of Rome's primacy. His interesting answer to one such question goes as follows:

So, in your opinion what is a realistic common ground for common answers to such open questions?
     ZIZIOULAS: For the future development of dialogue on this issue, it is of crucial importance that the Orthodox accept that primacy is part of the essence of the Church and not a matter of organization. They must also accept that there must be a Primacy on a universal level. This is difficult at the moment, but it would become easier if we thought more deeply about the nature of the Church. The Church cannot be local without being universal and cannot be universal if is not local.

Notice how he instructs the Easterners to acknowledge Romes primacy as the essence of the Church and not just a part of its organization.  This hits at the heart of Chalcedon's 28th Canon.

So, in keeping with the flow of discussion let us address Chalcedon and subsequently Constantinople.
Now, the reason I have highlighted the 28th Canon, as you may see above is becuase that is its proper Canonical numerical ordering. This specific Canon was refused by The Popes legates at the council and when the refusal was made clear the legates were then to stand and address the council as to why they were refusing this specific Canon. They refused on grounds of  overstepping the 6th Canon of Nicea, which ordered the preservation of jurisdiction to Alexandria and Antioch,  and on grounds that Rome has never owed her authority due to a simple caveat such as location. In response the pro-28th Bishops cited the 3rd Canon of Constantinople that was not by any means recognized and or approved by Rome. So, as history would tell us Pope Leo refused the 28th Canon and refused it would stay by the entire Church which included the Eastern Chruches as well.

Now onto the subject more in depth of the 28th where Constantinople assumes Rome owes its authority to its location as the ancient capital of the Roman Empire. This, I would gather, is more the reason for Romes rejection of this Canon. This very logic at its core seems "un-christian", but if we are to follow this logic then what are we to do with Ravenna or Milano? They too were once the capitals of the Roman Empire.

In closing I'll leave a letter from Anatolius Patriarch of Constantinople to Pope Leo after Leo's ordering of the Canon ommitted from council documents:

As for those things which the universal Council of Chalcedon recently ordained in favor of the church of Constantinople, let Your Holiness be sure that there was no fault in me, who from my youth have always loved peace and quiet, keeping myself in humility. It was the most reverend clergy of the church of Constantinople who were eager about it, and they were equally supported by the most reverend priests of those parts, who agreed about it. Even so, the whole force of confirmation of the acts was reserved for the authority of Your Blessedness. Therefore, let Your Holiness know for certain that I did nothing to further the matter, knowing always that I held myself bound to avoid the lusts of pride and covetousness. -- Patriarch Anatolius of Constantinople to Pope Leo, Ep 132 (on the subject of canon 28 of Chalcedon).

Edited by arch.buff - 03-Jan-2008 at 20:24
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 21:10
arch.buff,

So I will assume that you concede that St. Cyprian never believed in the concept of papal jurisdictional primacy as it is held by the Roman Church today. Thus, we shall move on to some of your objections to Zizioulas' analogy.

Oh, and before we begin: good show! Clap As will be noted below, you have justly corrected my misattribution of a number to a canon.

In regards to Ioannis Zizioulas, it would seem this vary theologian you prescribe to doesnt seem to see eye-to-eye on all issues with other Orthodox theologians, mainly his view of the Holy Trinity. He preposes a "relation" in which constitutes "communuion" and even goes onto prepose analogies(ie. Trinity is communion , so thus Church must be communion) of the created world and the un-created Trinity! Something that is not patristic theology. So for Zizi(excuse the shorthand) the concept of "communion" and "relation" are one and the same. So for Zizi, a person who is relation must also be in communion. This is a personal and very much philosophical belief. So, in Zizi's logic, wherby he makes no distinction between the Trinity and all created human beings, a person not in relation(ie a hermit or monk in isolation) cannot possibly be in communion!

Well first, analogies of this sort are very much present in patristic theology, as well as Scripture; indeed, the fathers often wax philosophical. I leave you two options:

1) Concede the point, the which will be easier for the both of us.
or...
2) Allow me some time to find a few citations which exhibit the grandiose nature of patristic analogies, which I would put in a separate post.

That is the ultimatum, which you are to consider under threat of a frown... LIKE THIS ONE: Stern%20Smile (I know that's not very threatening, but I don't like using the angry emoticon.) LOL

Really, this sort of thing exists in the Roman Church as well; take the oft cited analogy (and here I am paraphrasing: "Just as there is One supreme Lord of Heaven, so there is only one supreme head of the Church on Earth." Anyway, I think that you may be reading "Zizi" a bit too literally. An analogy is not an equation -- an analogy is designed to illustrate certain similarities between two separate situations or things. Zizioulas is using a divine example to describe an analogous earthly situation. And here the analogy is apt. You may try to argue against it, but it would be quite a mistake, indeed, to try to discard it simply because it is an analogy. Anyway, I am amused; I was expecting you to cite a bad Roman source, and you have cited a bad Orthodox source instead. Wink

Second, communion and relation may be one and the same, given the proper context. Indeed, it is through relation with God that our communion with Him grows. Since the point at issue is whether the nature of the Church is relational and communal, I don't quite see how this is too the point.

Finally, a monk or hermit is in communion in the sense that he is united to the Church. Saint Basil actually did quite a lot of work in this field, to strengthen the understanding of communion as it existed among the eremitic monks of the fourth century. Even monasteries are under the episcopal hierarchy.

I don't undertand what purpose you had in stating that Zizioulas "doesn't see eye-to-eye on all issues with other Orthodox theologians"; could you show me one theologian of any faith that does "see eye-to-eye on all issues" with any other individual theologian? Anyway, I would encourage you to avoid our apologetics as well; they are just as bad as -- and sometimes worse than Wink -- yours. This is especially so, in the first webpage you cited, which -- in addition to being poorly written -- is an obvious polemic. The second link didn't work. Try reading Zizioulas' theology on the subject for yourself. He wrote an article for a book called The Petrine Ministry: Catholics and Orthodox in Dialogue, which was a compilation of the contributions of eminent scholars on both sides. You will pardon me if, having read the man himself, I do not take seriously the uncharitable attacks of those who would be his foes. Though I, too, have my reservations about some of Metropolitan Zizioulas' theological and ecclesiological postulations, I would not dismiss him as "un-Orthodox" because of them; any individual theologian will often be wrong (and Zizi wasn't even speaking ex-cathedra). Wink This sort of nonsense exists in the Catholic Church as well, and is even pronounced among the laity, so you should be familiar with it.

Now, I will leave my defense of the single analogy I cited from Zizioulas intact, and turn to the canonical discussion.

Notice how he instructs the Easterners to acknowledge Romes primacy as the essence of the Church and not just a part of its organization.  This hits at the heart of Chalcedon's 28th Canon... Now, the reason I have highlighted the 28th Canon, as you may see above is becuase that is its proper Canonical numerical ordering.

First, mea culpa. I have absolutely no idea how I wrote that down as the 27th while I was looking at the source. Doesn't bode well for my chances at avoiding senility later in my life, does it? LOL

I assume you must be referring to the link that doesn't work, and so I will only be able to address your statement. Of course primacy is part of the essence of the Church, as the quote I put in my first post demonstrated. The issue isn't over whether or not primacy exists, the issue is over the nature of that primacy. Once again, this is the false maximalist/minimalist dichotomy that the Roman church has fallen back on in lieu of honestly examining the nature of the Church of the Ecumenical Era.

So, in keeping with the flow of discussion let us address Chalcedon and subsequently Constantinople.
Now, the reason I have highlighted the 28th Canon, as you may see above is becuase that is its proper Canonical numerical ordering. This specific Canon was refused by The Popes legates at the council and when the refusal was made clear the legates were then to stand and address the council as to why they were refusing this specific Canon. They refused on grounds of  overstepping the 6th Canon of Nicea, which ordered the preservation of jurisdiction to Alexandria and Antioch,  and on grounds that Rome has never owed her authority due to a simple caveat such as location. In response the pro-28th Bishops cited the 3rd Canon of Constantinople that was not by any means recognized and or approved by Rome. So, as history would tell us Pope Leo refused the 28th Canon and refused it would stay by the entire Church which included the Eastern Chruches as well.

Here I would refer you to the "Excursus on the Later History of Canon XXIII, which may be found in vol. 14 of the NPNF, ser. 2. In addition to this, Archbishop Peter L'Huillier has done wonderful work in the field of canon law. You might check out his The Church of the Ancient Councils: The Disciplinary Work of the First Four Ecumenical Councils; it is an excellent monograph.

Pope Leo's refusal to accept canon 28 did nothing to prevent it from going into force, as he, himself, lamented. He stated, in a letter to the Empress Pulcheria (Ep. CXVI) that the Illyrian bishops, who were in the Roman ecclesiastical sphere, had subscribed to the decree. Indeed, his words were as the squeakings of a mouse, and echoed only in those parts of the West where the canon was not intended to have all that much practical effect, anyway.

Let us turn, however, to the actions of the Roman legates, which render untenable Leo's assertion that Roman objections were based upon the fact that the 28th canon of Chalcedon overstepped the 6th of Nicaea. At the first session of Chalcedon, the acts of the Latrocinium (robber-council of Ephesus) of A.D. 449,  were examined, and it was noted that Flavian, who was then bishop of Constantinople, was given the fifth place. When Anatolius, who was the reigning bishop of Constantinople at Chalcedon, inquired, "Why did not Flavian receive his position?", Paschasinus, who was a Roman legate, stated: "We will, please God, recognize the present bishop Anatolius of Constantinople as the first [i.e. after us], but Dioscorus made Flavian the fifth."

Later, the Roman legates objected to the 28th canon of Chalcedon on the grounds that it referred to the Council of Constantinople, the canons of which, they said, were not to be found in Roman collections. This was probably true, since you will note that the Council of Constantinople -- the Second Ecumenical Council -- to which the Pope was not even invited (incidentally, Chalcedon was called in spite of the objections of Pope Leo), was provided over by Meletius of Antioch, who was out of communion of Rome (and died in that state, though he is now venerated  as a saint in both the East and the West), decided against the wishes of Damasus in the matter of the Antiochene episcopal succession, and prayed for the emperor Theodosius, not the pope, to validate what had been decreed. Back to the matter, at the first session of Chalcedon, the Roman legates already recognized Constantinople as second in honor among the ecclesiastical sees, despite their objections that the canonical decrees of Constantinople had not been promulgated in the West. The fact that they recognized this is clear proof of the duplicity of Pope Leo's later statements.

Anyway, the whole thing is a moot point. None of the Patriarchs has the authority to exercise a line-item veto. Revisionist Roman theory on this point simply does not match up with historical fact. This is borne out by the fact that Leo's refusal to accept the canon did not prevent it from going into force; you might say that the Holy Spirit guided the Church away from such presumption. The whole question, however, is purely academic in light of the subsequent actions of the Church during the Ecumenical Period. The 28th canon of Chalcedon was approved by the 31st of Trullo (Quinisext), and all of the canons of Trullo were approved by canon 1 of the Second Council of Nicaea (Seventh Ecumenical) in A.D. 787. Incidentally, I do not see how the Roman Church can reject the Trullan canons in light of their acceptance by Nicaea II, which condemned Iconoclasm.

Now onto the subject more in depth of the 28th where Constantinople assumes Rome owes its authority to its location as the ancient capital of the Roman Empire. This, I would gather, is more the reason for Romes rejection of this Canon. This very logic at its core seems "un-christian", but if we are to follow this logic then what are we to do with Ravenna or Milano? They too were once the capitals of the Roman Empire.

I assure you it is not. It is the principle of "territorial accomodation", and has always been an essential part of the nature of the Church. If I have led you to believe that this is a mere geographical principle -- through imprecise -- or even incorrect -- phrasing, I apologize. It rather has to do with the status of the city, which involves the accrued "dignity" in both secular and religious affairs. The treatment of Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem) by the seventh canon of Nicaea is a perfect example of this:

Can. 7 Since custom and ancient tradition have prevailed that the Bishop of Aelia should be honored, let him, saving its due dignity to the Metropolis, have the next place of honor.

Jerusalem was to be honored, due to that city's religious status, as well as an existing tradition within the Church, yet her bishop was not to possess the jurisdictional authority due to a proper metropolitan. This was, however, amended by Chalcedon, which enumerated the bishops of Jerusalem among the ancient Pentarchs. As you can see, the rules are not as simple as they are often made out to be; this is precisely why the ranking of the sees -- which is, as is evident from the history of the Ecumenical Era, an ongoing process -- is reserved to the Ecumenical Councils. Remember, for a long time the bishops of Lyons verged on a semi-Patriarchal status, and while he is still afforded the title "Primate of Gaul" in the Roman Church, he has little canonical authority. Oh, and the reason that Ravenna and Milan were not enumerated in the rankings of the Councils, quite simply, is because they did not last as centers of prominence, or were overshadowed by metropolitan or Patriarchal sees.

That said, Ambrose of Milan provides another interesting example of the principle of territorial accomodation as it existed in a specific time, and specifically as it pertains to Rome. This example will also, I trust, serve to elucidate the nature of the status of Rome and the other ancient churches in the early Church. You will note that Ambrose was far more influential in ecclesiastical affairs than Damasus -- indeed, it is Ambrose who imposed a penance upon Theodosius, and it was to Ambrose that Theodosius came to repent of his massacre of the citizens of Thessalonica. Indeed, Ambrose was the most influential churchman in the West. Still, Damasus generally appears before Ambrose on letters written to the bishops of the West. Why? Quite simply because while Milan may have been a rising city with an influential bishop, and Rome might have been in the early stages of her decline, Rome still possessed a greater measure of Christian dignity. Thus, while Ambrose was influential in reality, the bishops -- even Ambrose -- were always deferential to the head of the Roman Church, by virtue of the respect due to the dignity of the Roman see.

Why have I provided these examples? To demonstrate that the question of the ranking of ecclesiastical sees is not as simple as you may think. It is not something to be grasped, but rather something to be sought after. There are so many things to be taken into account that oversimplifications present a host of problems. Thus, the principle of territorial accomodation, while it may be difficult to understand, and while it may seem un-ecclesiastical -- though I would not go so far as to say "un-Christian"; after all, the practical concerns related to a bishop's ability to serve his flock, which are the foundation of the principle, are very Christian in nature -- it was certainly a great part of the reason for the ranking of the sees, as Nicaea, Constantinople, and Chalcedon bear out. We must seek to understand the question in its proper historical context, as the holy fathers of the fifth century understood it. Here we turn to a reiteration of the 28th canon of Chalcedon and the 3rd of Constantinople, as well as the analysis of two noted ecclesiastical historians. (I'm requoting the canons so that people can keep up with what we are talking about).

Can. 28 Following in all things the decisions of the holy Fathers, and acknowledging the canon, which has been just read, of the One Hundred and Fifty Bishops beloved-of-God (who assembled in the imperial city of Constantinople, which is New Rome, in the time of the Emperor Theodosius of happy memory), we also do enact and decree the same things concerning the privileges of the most holy Church of Constantinople, which is New Rome. For the Fathers rightly granted privileges to the throne of old Rome, because it was the royal city. And the One Hundred and Fifty most religious Bishops, actuated by the same consideration, gave equal privileges to the most holy throne of New Rome, justly judging that the city which is honoured with the Sovereignty and the Senate, and enjoys equal privileges with the old imperial Rome, should in ecclesiastical matters also be magnified as she is, and rank next after her; so that, in the Pontic, the Asian, and the Thracian dioceses, the metropolitans only and such bishops also of the Dioceses aforesaid as are among the barbarians, should be ordained by the aforesaid most holy throne of the most holy Church of Constantinople; every metropolitan of the aforesaid dioceses, together with the bishops of his province, ordaining his own provincial bishops, as has been declared by the divine canons; but that, as has been above said, the metropolitans of the aforesaid Dioceses should be ordained by the archbishop of Constantinople, after the proper elections have been held according to custom and have been reported to him."
[Chalcedon, 451] 

Can. 3 "The Bishop of Constantinople, however, shall have the prerogative of honour after the Bishop of Rome; because Constantinople is New Rome."
[Constantinople, 381] 

They really speak for themselves, and I don't feel that I need to explain anything further. I will simply note that it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and the Council Fathers -- to paraphrase the blessed Evangelist -- to accept the principle of territorial accomodation as a factor in ranking the sees. But is this how it was understood by secular historians of the day? As the ecclesiastical historian Sozomenus noted, in the mid 5th century:

They likewise decreed that the affairs of each church should be subjected to the investigation and control of a council of the province; and that the bishop of Constantinople should rank next in point of precedence to the bishop of Rome, as occupying the see of New Rome; for Constantinople was not only already favored with this appellation, but was also in the enjoyment of many privileges, -- such as a senate of its own, and the division of the citizens into ranks and orders; it was also governed by its own magistrates, and possessed contracts, laws, and immunities in equal degree with those of Rome in Italy.
[Soz., Hist. Eccles., 7.9]

...and Socrates confirms:

The same prelates moreover published a decree, prescribing 'that the bishop of Constantinople should have the next prerogative of honor after the bishop of Rome, because that city was New Rome.' They also again confirmed the Nicene Creed.
[Soc., Hist. Eccles., 5.8]

In closing, I will also turn to the letter of Anatolius of Constantinople. And first I want to thank you for providing me with a link to this source -- although since I googled it, you and I may be looking at different articles (if so, thanks for the quote, which helped me find an article that I thought I'd never see again). When I first encountered it, long ago, I couldn't stop laughing at one point -- and, never fear; this has naught to do with the translation of the letter. The thing I couldn't get over, when I first read this, was the following quote:

Originally posted by Some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about

Thereafter, Pope Leo succeeded in getting both Emperors to call the Council of Chalcedon in 451.

LOLLOLLOL

Suffice it to say that we have already noted that the Council of Chalcedon was called by the emperor over the express objections of Pope Leo; that someone would assert that he called it... LOL It is sad that some people's modern biases blind them to the historical realities of an era long-since past. I do not fault you here, for the source does contain a fair bit of reliable information, and it is written -- if not researched -- in a manner consistent with scholarly style. I am actually quite glad that you found it; it speaks to the fact that you have been doing a fair amount of reserach -- as I recall, it was somewhat difficult to find (I think I was searching for something specific). Anyway, moving right along...

If you study the subject long enough, you will start to view letters like this in a manner entirely different than the way you view them now. I would recommend searching for as many collections as you can find, checking them out, and going over them, paying particular attention to forms of address. I would imagine that this letter began in an extremely self-effacing manner, the which is nothing out of the ordinary, and ended with profuse blessings and professions of undying love in Christ. The text, as you have implied, is decidedly self-effacing in tone.

Have you ever seen what he was responding to? LOL

For all of his saintliness, Leo was a decidedly arrogant and intractable man. Upon reception of the decrees of the Council he began a letter campaign against Anatolius and the 28th canon of Chalcedon. He wrote a series of increasingly inflammatory letters to the emperor Marcian and the empress Pulcheria, the Patriarch Anatolius, and the Gallic bishops. Anatolius was, to use the language of Scripture, humbling himself that he may be exalted; that is to say that he was abasing himself in order to maintain the unity of the Church, which was being threatened by Leo's arrogant, futile, and ultimately embarrasing attempts to destroy it. Anatolius responds to Leo's accusations that it was he who procured his own elevation by noting that it was called for by others. In essence, Leo is guilty of the very crime of which he accuses Anatolius -- pride -- and Anatolius is guilty (if it imparts any guilt) only of humility.

Well done, well done! This is certainly a fascinating conversation, and your willingness to delve into the depths of the sources with me is fully appreciated. I do not often get the chance for a thourough conversation like this, on an ecclesiological/theological topic. God bless you for providing me with one. Feel free to take as long as you want with your reply; the Lord knows I have been horribly slow in getting back to you.

May God bless and keep you and yours. Smile

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 11-Jan-2008 at 21:49
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 18:24

Ako,

Good responses! I fear this bit of response will be rather short and will address a single topic, that of St. Cyprian. You must be careful in your assumptions!! First off, it should only be seen as proper that I, in my search for truth, am at the moment trying to schedule an appointment with my local Priest on the subject of St. Cyprian. He happens to be an immensely educated and faithful man that Im sure can shed more light on this issue for me.

Lets first start off with what we know of St. Cyprian. He was a very educated man, and he was indeed a man(adult) upon his conversion and very soon after that conversion found himself Bishop. For all the education St. Cyprian had there were many to testify that he did not possess an abundance of knowledge in theology or philosophy and at times could be very near-sighted and unable to see where the road traveling down would take him.

As for the Roman editing you spoke of, can you produce some evidence for this?

In any case if we take the first text of Ch. 4 that is found everywhere are we still to toss out this "Roman interpretation"? Is unity still not derived from one? Can unity be seen as communion? If not, what is the difference?

Now to address the Seventh Council of Carthage, which was in itself a simple synod. In the synod held under St. Cyprian he sent envoys to Rome for the Popes approval but only found that the Pope treated them as heretics. He writes as if all bishops are equal and that baptism is a concern only for the local church and that if the details differed from church to church, that this was permissible. To God alone is the local bishop responsible. This would seem contrary to his theory of 254 that bishops are to be judged by the people who elected them and, if bad, deposed. It would seem he weaves theories to jusify his policies. In his declaration(letter to Rome) he elaborates that the validity of baptism is one that bishops of the Catholic faith can differ. A far cry from his explanation to Marcian in 255 that it was an article of faith. In any case the errors of the 7th of Carthage were retracted in a synod under Gratus (345-348)

To me, St. Cyprians writings of Roman primacy are very evident and his actions, like so many of his contradictions, at times did not mirror this. The Roman ruling of baptism, or should we say the custom, was that of the Church universal. St. Augustine is very clear on this and even goes onto state that through St. Cyprians martyrdom he atoned for his anger.

I am rather interested in St. Cyprian, theres a reason he is a Saint. I would love a in depth dialogue on him.
Sorry for not addressing your other responses. I assure you, my reply draws near however at the moment I seem to be knee-deep in essays, Already!! Sorry if this response is sloppy, I blew right thru it and did I mention Im at work! Dont tell on me!

God bless,

arch.buff 

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 05:01
arch.buff,

I am enjoying this discussion, and I assure you that I will continue to tolerate your lack of punctuality if you continue to tolerate mine. LOL It is nice to have a discussion on AE where I do not feel pressured to post a response as soon as possible, and it certainly gives us both ample opportunity to research. Smile

Good responses! I fear this bit of response will be rather short and will address a single topic, that of St. Cyprian. You must be careful in your assumptions!! First off, it should only be seen as proper that I, in my search for truth, am at the moment trying to schedule an appointment with my local Priest on the subject of St. Cyprian. He happens to be an immensely educated and faithful man that Im sure can shed more light on this issue for me.

And what assumptions, dear arch.buff, must I be careful of? Wink

I certainly look forward to hearing what you priest has to say about the matter. It is always interesting to hear the views of a learned man with whom I disagree. What is really interesting about discussions such as this is that while two educated individuals may disagree, they are bound largely -- though not entirely -- by the same scholarship. Anyway, let me know what he says.

Lets first start off with what we know of St. Cyprian. He was a very educated man, and he was indeed a man(adult) upon his conversion and very soon after that conversion found himself Bishop. For all the education St. Cyprian had there were many to testify that he did not possess an abundance of knowledge in theology or philosophy and at times could be very near-sighted and unable to see where the road traveling down would take him.

With regard to your second assertion, concerning Cyprian being near-sighted, I certainly agree, and will note that near-sightedness is a common malady, among ecclesiastics and laymen alike. With regard to your first assertion, that Cyprian "did not possess an abundance of knowledge in theology or philosophy," I must vehemently disagree. In addition to De Unit. Eccles. -- which is currently under discussion, and which should have given you ample proof that Cyprian was a gifted theologian, there are many other extant treatises which bear witness to his skill in theology, philosophy, and ecclesiology. Though Cyprian, like all the fathers, has been criticized (sometimes justly, sometimes unjustly), he has been praised as well. If you would care to cite some specific criticism, we can discuss it; if you are simply issuing a general challenge to his credentials, I shall simply offer a general refutation. Wink

As for the Roman editing you spoke of, can you produce some evidence for this?

Interesting. So there is an entirely new theory, in addition to those mentioned above. With regard to this, I will simply repeat what I said on this point earlier, to give the proper context:

We will find, however, that this Roman interpretation is flawed, for two reasons. First, there exist two versions, as well as some evidence of interpolation, or, at very least, redaction. The text you have quoted is the longer recension (or "Primacy Text")... The textual issues are outlined in the second elucidation of the text in the Ante-Nicene Fathers set, which ascribes their origin to a corruption of the text by the "Romish editors". LOL It would appear that more recent scholarship has tended to ascribe the textual anomalies to a redaction, possibly made by Cyprian himself either 1) to reemphasize the collegiality of all bishops, that he consistently upheld throughout his career, against misinterpretations by those who supported the later Roman interpretation of the passage and/or 2) to counter the pretensions of Stephen, bishop of Rome, in the controversy over the rebaptism of heretics. [Akolouthos]

With regard to evidence of the editing/redactions, you may find a full scholarly treatment of the issue in the elucidation mentioned above. The elucidation is a bit dated, as is the Catholic Encyclopedia (both were published around the turn of the century), but I think you will find it useful.

In any case if we take the first text of Ch. 4 that is found everywhere are we still to toss out this "Roman interpretation"? Is unity still not derived from one? Can unity be seen as communion? If not, what is the difference?

Communion is an essential part of unity; indeed, it is because the bishop of Rome is not in communion with the Church that an onlooker can know that he is not part of the Church. Communion with the bishop of Rome as it has been interpreted by the Vatican, however, is not necessary for an individual to be a member of the body of Christ. Rather, the Cyprianic ideal, which is one of collegiality, as we have demonstrated above, is the only true manner in which we may consider the communion of bishops with one another. Finally, unity is derived from One, not one -- unity is derived from Christ, the invisible bishop who guides His body.

Now to address the Seventh Council of Carthage, which was in itself a simple synod. In the synod held under St. Cyprian he sent envoys to Rome for the Popes approval but only found that the Pope treated them as heretics. He writes as if all bishops are equal and that baptism is a concern only for the local church and that if the details differed from church to church, that this was permissible. To God alone is the local bishop responsible. This would seem contrary to his theory of 254 that bishops are to be judged by the people who elected them and, if bad, deposed.

Could you please provide a citation from Cyprian's letter to the pope, as well as a citation with regard to his assertion that bishops are responsible to the people?

There is no contradiction here, for one who is versed in early ecclesiology. A bishop -- and especially a bishop in the early Church -- is/was responsible to his flock, in that he is entrusted with the preservation of their souls and the integrity of their faith. Eusebius of Caesarea, who felt the need to justify his subscription to the Nicene decrees to the people of his diocese, provides a perfect example. In addition to this, a bishop is responsible to his fellow bishops, in that the communion of bishops who hold the true faith is an expression of the unity of the Church. Ultimately, however, a bishop is responsible to God alone, because he presides over his flock in persona Christi, and must seek their good in spite of the wiles of the evil one. As you can undoubtedly see, there is not a contradiction if the matter is considered in context.

It would seem he weaves theories to jusify his policies.

Of course Cyprian, like all bishops, was sometimes guilty of weaving his theories to justify his policies. In point of fact, it is in precisely this way that the Roman interpretation of primacy developed over the centuries. Heavenly treasures, earthen vessels. Still, the issue -- with Cyprian, as with the Roman interpretation of the primacy -- is not why the early ecclesiastics arrived at the conclusions at which they arrived, but rather whether or not those conclusions are valid. While we must seek to consider peripheral issues in order to gain a true understanding of the context in which thought developed, we must never allow the consideration of these peripheral issues to obscure the central question.

In his declaration(letter to Rome) he elaborates that the validity of baptism is one that bishops of the Catholic faith can differ. A far cry from his explanation to Marcian in 255 that it was an article of faith. In any case the errors of the 7th of Carthage were retracted in a synod under Gratus (345-348)

To me, St. Cyprians writings of Roman primacy are very evident and his actions, like so many of his contradictions, at times did not mirror this. The Roman ruling of baptism, or should we say the custom, was that of the Church universal. St. Augustine is very clear on this and even goes onto state that through St. Cyprians martyrdom he atoned for his anger.

First, I would note that the Roman ruling on baptism was not the view of the Church universal at the time. This is borne out by the fact that Cyprian was able to secure support from those in his own province as well as one as far away as Firmilian of Caesarea. Incidentally, the fact that Firmilian supported Cyprian against Pope Stephen, and the fact that he rebuked Stephen for his pompous language, demonstrates, beyond even the faintest shadow of a doubt, that what would become the Roman interpretation of the primacy -- an interpretation which was then in its infancy -- was utterly unknown in the East at this point. Rather, collegiality according to the Cyprianic ideal was the manner in which the unity of the Church was conceived by the fathers.

Second, I would note that the manner in which heretics are received is still a matter of contention in the Church. We do have some hints from the fathers of the early Church, since it was a major issue for them. Generally, it would appear that the manner of receiving heretics depended upon what kind of heretics they were. The early Church always sought to exercise oikonomia, but certain heresies were so far from the Truth that they required rebaptism -- the original "baptism" having not been valid. The Council of Constantinople (A.D. 381) actually dealt with this question, and we may turn to it for an indication of how we should act today.

I am rather interested in St. Cyprian, theres a reason he is a Saint. I would love a in depth dialogue on him.
Sorry for not addressing your other responses. I assure you, my reply draws near however at the moment I seem to be knee-deep in essays, Already!! Sorry if this response is sloppy, I blew right thru it and did I mention Im at work! Dont tell on me!

God bless,

arch.buff

First, in the interest of transparency and for the benefit of those reading our discussion, I would like to note that at least part of the reason arch.buff has not responded to my earlier points is not because he did not feel up to the task, but rather because I asked him to wait on my reply to his post regarding Cyprian, which I have delayed writing due to a series of time constraints. I would also like to thank arch.buff for doing this, so I will: thank you, arch.buff. Smile

That aside, I would certainly enjoy a discussion of St. Cyprian, but I would suggest that we confine it to the periphery, unless it deals specifically with the question of the perceptions of the Roman primacy. I look forward to hearing what your priest has to say, as I look forward to your response to the other points I raised in my last post. That said, feel free to take your time, as you have so graciously allowed me to do. Smile God bless and keep you, arch.buff.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 12-Mar-2008 at 05:24
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 18:48
***Let my first formal word in this reply be....OOPS!, followed by pleading forgviness!!

In Akolouthos' request for citation he has made me aware of the fact that I have forgotten to cite my source from my previous post. Now, I understand that in the scholarly world this sort of "mistake" is not taken lightly and so I add that I accept any and all disciplinary action that may be heaved my way. I will be sure to re-read my posts directly after posting them, as is my usual custom.

My source in question is "A History of the Church"- by Philip Hughes

I will be using this book, and other sources, for refutations of your responses in this post as well.

Having thrown myself at the mercy of the courtEmbarrassed I shall continue with my responses

arch.buff,

I am enjoying this discussion, and I assure you that I will continue to tolerate your lack of punctuality if you continue to tolerate mine. LOL It is nice to have a discussion on AE where I do not feel pressured to post a response as soon as possible, and it certainly gives us both ample opportunity to research. Smile

***I greatly appreciate the aspect of this discussion wherein, as you have noted, neither person feels the need to post too hastily. I must also add that I will be replying to your other concerns regarding the councils and the Roman bishops actions therein. However, the reason for my dormancy is due to some "explaining" of some key beliefs in the church that should also be taken in connection with historical realities and, having been afforded this by the discussion, I need not post too hastily. 

And what assumptions, dear arch.buff, must I be careful of? Wink

***Your assumption that I concede your POV in all matters concerning St. CyprianBig%20smile

I certainly look forward to hearing what you priest has to say about the matter. It is always interesting to hear the views of a learned man with whom I disagree. What is really interesting about discussions such as this is that while two educated individuals may disagree, they are bound largely -- though not entirely -- by the same scholarship. Anyway, let me know what he says.
[quote]

***I look forward too his words as well, Ive been immensely busy lately. I also was going to pose the question to him of possibly getting a tattoo. Ive read up on the subject but would not make such a decsion without consulting my local priest. St. Michael slaying the dragon would be mighty fierce on my right arm Wink

With regard to your second assertion, concerning Cyprian being near-sighted, I certainly agree, and will note that near-sightedness is a common malady, among ecclesiastics and laymen alike. With regard to your first assertion, that Cyprian "did not possess an abundance of knowledge in theology or philosophy," I must vehemently disagree. In addition to De Unit. Eccles. -- which is currently under discussion, and which should have given you ample proof that Cyprian was a gifted theologian, there are many other extant treatises which bear witness to his skill in theology, philosophy, and ecclesiology. Though Cyprian, like all the fathers, has been criticized (sometimes justly, sometimes unjustly), he has been praised as well. If you would care to cite some specific criticism, we can discuss it; if you are simply issuing a general challenge to his credentials, I shall simply offer a general refutation. Wink
[quote] 

***To your testimony of St. Cyprian being praised I would only add an AMEN!
However, as has already been stated, St. Cyprian had not been in the ecclesiological sphere very long and there were times where this was made painstakingly apparent. As for your request of citations of Cyprian's lack of "abundance of theology and philosophy", here are a few-

"His gift of eloquence is evident in his writings. He was not a thinker, a philosopher, a theologian, but eminently a man of the world and an administrator, of vast energies, and of forcible and striking character."  --Taken from the new advent site from which we have been dealing.

'It has been well said of St. Cyprian that "He was a practical man
without any philosophy or theology." He repeats the tradition; he
borrows very largely from Tertullian; he writes a highly
cultivated Latin; but there is nowhere evidence that he possessed
any power of seeing general principles in the learning he had, nor
of deducing thence, in his day to day application of it, further
general truths. The one subject which he ventures to explore is
this question of the Church and its nature. He explores it simply
because exploration of it is forced on him by controversies he
cannot escape. And it is in the spirit of a practical
controversialist, eager to find arguments and confirmation of his
policy, that he explores it. The pitfalls to which such a
character is exposed, in such a work, are very easy to imagine.
St. Cyprian was to experience them in very full measure.'

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CHISTORY/HUGHHIST.TXT -Copy of Hughes' book on internet but if you like there is a treatment on Google books. Sadly they have pages missing, naturally.

This, I believe, is a very accuarte, broad, and general description of Cyprian.

Interesting. So there is an entirely new theory, in addition to those mentioned above. With regard to this, I will simply repeat what I said on this point earlier, to give the proper context:

We will find, however, that this Roman interpretation is flawed, for two reasons. First, there exist two versions, as well as some evidence of interpolation, or, at very least, redaction. The text you have quoted is the longer recension (or "Primacy Text")... The textual issues are outlined in the second elucidation of the text in the Ante-Nicene Fathers set, which ascribes their origin to a corruption of the text by the "Romish editors". LOL It would appear that more recent scholarship has tended to ascribe the textual anomalies to a redaction, possibly made by Cyprian himself either 1) to reemphasize the collegiality of all bishops, that he consistently upheld throughout his career, against misinterpretations by those who supported the later Roman interpretation of the passage and/or 2) to counter the pretensions of Stephen, bishop of Rome, in the controversy over the rebaptism of heretics. [Akolouthos]

With regard to evidence of the editing/redactions, you may find a full scholarly treatment of the issue in the elucidation mentioned above. The elucidation is a bit dated, as is the Catholic Encyclopedia (both were published around the turn of the century), but I think you will find it useful.
[quote]

***I will definately take a look at the elucidation once I get some real free time. This quote taken from the site seems pretty clear: 

"The old contention that it is a Roman forgery is at all events quite out of the question."

Communion is an essential part of unity; indeed, it is because the bishop of Rome is not in communion with the Church that an onlooker can know that he is not part of the Church. Communion with the bishop of Rome as it has been interpreted by the Vatican, however, is not necessary for an individual to be a member of the body of Christ. Rather, the Cyprianic ideal, which is one of collegiality, as we have demonstrated above, is the only true manner in which we may consider the communion of bishops with one another. Finally, unity is derived from One, not one -- unity is derived from Christ, the invisible bishop who guides His body.
[quote]

***"It is certain that where internal discipline was concerned he considered that Rome should not interfere, and that uniformity was not desirable -- a most unpractical notion. We have always to remember that his experience as a Christian was of short duration, that he became a bishop soon after he was converted, and that he had no Christian writings besides Holy Scripture to study besides those of Tertullian. He evidently knew no Greek, and probably was not acquainted with the translation of Irenaeus. Rome was to him the centre of the Church's unity; it was inaccessible to heresy, which had been knocking at its door for a century in vain. It was the See of Peter, who was the type of the bishop, the first of the Apostles. Difference of opinion between bishops as to the right occupant of the Sees of Arles or Emerita would not involve breach of communion, but rival bishops at Rome would divide the Church, and to communicate with the wrong one would be schism.

"They dare to sail...to the chair of Peter and to the principal church whence sacredotal unity has sprung."

Quoted from both books "Papal Primacy- From its Origins to the Present" by Klaus Schatz and "Scribe of the Kingdom: Essays on Theology and Culture" by Aidan Nichols

First off, I would suggest to you a very good read in Schatzs' "Papal Primacy". Written by a Catholic in one of the most un-partial pieces I have read to date. It is a purely historical treatment and emphasizes the development of papal primacy.

Also Nichols' "Scribes of the Kingdom" goes on to say:

"This interpretation of Cyprian's view of the Roman see, drawn from his Letters, enables us to say that both versionsof the De Unitae may be authentic. Both versions are compatible with Cyprian's doctrine as thus expounded."

Of course you will have to go to the site, which I will refer you to, in order not to take this quote out of context and allow you to discern in what way "Cyprian's doctrine has thus been expounded".

Could you please provide a citation from Cyprian's letter to the pope, as well as a citation with regard to his assertion that bishops are responsible to the people?

There is no contradiction here, for one who is versed in early ecclesiology. A bishop -- and especially a bishop in the early Church -- is/was responsible to his flock, in that he is entrusted with the preservation of their souls and the integrity of their faith. Eusebius of Caesarea, who felt the need to justify his subscription to the Nicene decrees to the people of his diocese, provides a perfect example. In addition to this, a bishop is responsible to his fellow bishops, in that the communion of bishops who hold the true faith is an expression of the unity of the Church. Ultimately, however, a bishop is responsible to God alone, because he presides over his flock in persona Christi, and must seek their good in spite of the wiles of the evil one. As you can undoubtedly see, there is not a contradiction if the matter is considered in context.
[quote]

***"We can, however, note the affair as a cause of discord between St.
Cyprian and Rome at the very beginning of St. Stephen's
pontificate, and we can also note, m connection with it, the
appearance of some disturbing new theories in St. Cyprian's
theology of Church government. One such theory is that it is for
the people to depose bishops who are sinners. They are the judges."

I believe there are more, let me know if you wish for me to dig some up.

Dear Ako, I fail to see you can not discern Cyprian's contradictionsConfused He feels that baptism, a crucial aspect of salvation, can be an option for each bishop of his flock?? It is an issue of the utmost importance, yet bishops can differ as they see fit!

Also it must be noted that through all his dealings with roam he takes a defensive stance and even under the threat of ex-communication, still remains passive.

Of course Cyprian, like all bishops, was sometimes guilty of weaving his theories to justify his policies. In point of fact, it is in precisely this way that the Roman interpretation of primacy developed over the centuries. Heavenly treasures, earthen vessels. Still, the issue -- with Cyprian, as with the Roman interpretation of the primacy -- is not why the early ecclesiastics arrived at the conclusions at which they arrived, but rather whether or not those conclusions are valid. While we must seek to consider peripheral issues in order to gain a true understanding of the context in which thought developed, we must never allow the consideration of these peripheral issues to obscure the central question.
[quote]

***On the contrary, I must enthusiastically disagree with you. What conclusion the church ultimately came to is exactly the point of the issue at hand. One who wishes to do no injustice to historical realities will concede this orthodox interpretation, or ruling rather, on Rome's part seems to be a familiar stance she often takes, even in the face of eloquent bishops who would take opposition against her.

First, I would note that the Roman ruling on baptism was not the view of the Church universal at the time. This is borne out by the fact that Cyprian was able to secure support from those in his own province as well as one as far away as Firmilian of Caesarea. Incidentally, the fact that Firmilian supported Cyprian against Pope Stephen, and the fact that he rebuked Stephen for his pompous language, demonstrates, beyond even the faintest shadow of a doubt, that what would become the Roman interpretation of the primacy -- an interpretation which was then in its infancy -- was utterly unknown in the East at this point. Rather, collegiality according to the Cyprianic ideal was the manner in which the unity of the Church was conceived by the fathers.

Second, I would note that the manner in which heretics are received is still a matter of contention in the Church. We do have some hints from the fathers of the early Church, since it was a major issue for them. Generally, it would appear that the manner of receiving heretics depended upon what kind of heretics they were. The early Church always sought to exercise oikonomia, but certain heresies were so far from the Truth that they required rebaptism -- the original "baptism" having not been valid. The Council of Constantinople (A.D. 381) actually dealt with this question, and we may turn to it for an indication of how we should act today.
[quote]

***"Now at Rome, as at Alexandria, the teaching had always been that
the baptism of heretics was valid, as it had been the teaching in
Africa until about thirty years before St. Cyprian's time."
Excuse me I mispoke, I was trying to convey the point that the church adopted the Roman ruling. Now, before this ruling took place there were differences in re-baptism but as Hughes notes this was no problem for Rome or Alexandria and at a time, North Africa herself.

St. Jerome explains in better detail:

"Blessed Cyprian attempted to avoid heresy, and therefore rejected the baptism conferred by heretics, sent [the acts of] an African Council on this matter to Stephen, who was then Bishop of the city of Rome, and twenty-second from St. Peter; but his attempt was in vain. Eventually those very Bishops, who had decreed with him that heretics were to be rebaptized, returned to the ancient custom, and published a new decree."

This is how St. Stephen views the matter:

"If therefore anyone shall come to you from any heresy
whatsoever, let there be no innovation contrary to what has been
handed down
, namely that hands be imposed upon them in [sign of]
penance."

That the Easterners differ on re-baptism, as with other issues, is of no cause for surprise. Rome, however, in what has been handed down to her, has no such dilemma.Wink

First, in the interest of transparency and for the benefit of those reading our discussion, I would like to note that at least part of the reason arch.buff has not responded to my earlier points is not because he did not feel up to the task, but rather because I asked him to wait on my reply to his post regarding Cyprian, which I have delayed writing due to a series of time constraints. I would also like to thank arch.buff for doing this, so I will: thank you, arch.buff. Smile

That aside, I would certainly enjoy a discussion of St. Cyprian, but I would suggest that we confine it to the periphery, unless it deals specifically with the question of the perceptions of the Roman primacy. I look forward to hearing what your priest has to say, as I look forward to your response to the other points I raised in my last post. That said, feel free to take your time, as you have so graciously allowed me to do. Smile God bless and keep you, arch.buff.

-Akolouthos

***And thank you, Akolouthos. I too look forward to all discussions in and around this subject of church history, especially with such a learned sophisticate such as Akolouthos. Might I be so bold as to fancy myself a Stephen, outmatched in eloquence and persuasiveness by my opposition, yet holing steadfast in what is truth?LOL Wink

God bless,

arch.buff

Edited by arch.buff - 19-Mar-2008 at 19:06
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 18:56
Sorry, I really chopped that last post up. I meant to seperate my responses from your previous posts, really donked that one I guess. However, my responses are there. You'll just have to carefully sift through the post as our words are lumped together in one large quote. Again, my apologies.

EDIT- I have taken extra measures to make things more clear. I have listed a few(***) at the start of my responses. Hope that helps.

Edited by arch.buff - 19-Mar-2008 at 19:09
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 21:20
Hey arch.buff,

I had some spare time, and decided to get back with you a bit earlier than has been my habit. Please do not get used to it; punctuality has never been my strong suit. Still, since this conversation provides a pleasant diversion from the cares of the world, I must hasten to it when I can. Smile

To your testimony of St. Cyprian being praised I would only add an AMEN!
However, as has already been stated, St. Cyprian had not been in the ecclesiological sphere very long and there were times where this was made painstakingly apparent. As for your request of citations of Cyprian's lack of "abundance of theology and philosophy", here are a few-

"His gift of eloquence is evident in his writings. He was not a thinker, a philosopher, a theologian, but eminently a man of the world and an administrator, of vast energies, and of forcible and striking character."  --Taken from the new advent site from which we have been dealing.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CHISTORY/HUGHHIST.TXT -Copy of Hughes' book on internet but if you like there is a treatment on Google books. Sadly they have pages missing, naturally.

I concur, at least within the proper context. I will add another description, for the purposes of expanding that context:

The second African theologian, Cyprian of Carthage, was a personality totally different from Tertullian. He had nothing of the latter's intemperance nor of his domination genius, but rather those noble qualities of heart that attract charity and gentleness, prudence and spirit of union; these Tertullian lacked. [Quasten, Patrology, Vol. 2]

Cyprian's literary activity was intimately connected withy his life and times. All of his works are written for specific occasions and served practical purposes. He was a man of action, interested in the direction of souls rather than in theological speculation. He had neither Tertullian's depth and gift of expression nor his fiery passionateness. On the other hand, his practical wisdom avoids the exagerrations and provocations which did so much harm to the other. His language and style are more polished, and show a greater influence of the vocabulary and imagery of the Bible... In Christian antiquity, as in the Middle Ages, he was one of the most popular authors and his writings are extant in a great number of manuscripts. [Quasten, Patrology, Vol. 2]

The reason I have cited the quotes from above is to demonstrate that we must needs examine Cyprian within the context of this discussion. True, he was not a master speculative theologian. As Quasten notes, he was more concerned with the practical aspects of the faith. Still, it is precisely this practical wisdom that is relevant to our discussion of De Unit. Eccles. If we were speaking of his opinion on the transmigration or pre-existence of souls, on apocatastasis, or on any of the variations of Adoptionism that were to cause so much trouble, we would need to consider his gifts for speculative theology. Since we are speaking of his ecclesiology, defined in terms of his views of the episcopacy, it is much more important that we take into account his "noble qualities of heart that attract charity and gentleness, prudence and spirit of union," as well as the fact that "all of his works are written for specific occasions and served practical purposes."

Within this context, St. Cyprian's interpretation of his own writings, as well as his view of how his ecclesiology manifests itself, becomes very important.

I will definately take a look at the elucidation once I get some real free time. This quote taken from the site seems pretty clear: 

"The old contention that it is a Roman forgery is at all events quite out of the question.

As I have noted, I do not personally hold to the Roman forgery theory. That said, it is a theory, and I am certainly not surprised that the Catholic Encyclopedia believes that its validity is "out of the question." After all, you wouldn't expect them to credit it, would you? LOL

Still, it is worth noting that only a couple of decades had passed between the publishing of the Ante-Nicene Fathers -- from which the elucidation is drawn -- and the Catholic Encyclopedia, and I would doubt that enough was gleaned in the intervening years to dismiss the theory out of hand. It is far more likely that the ANF and the Catholic Encyclopedia are simply manifesting the biases of their respective editors. Still, I'd suggest you read that elucidation. The editors of the ANF have posited one particularly interesting piece of evidence for their interpretation. That said, I continue to prefer the view that St. Cyprian, himself, redacted the text when it became apparent that it had been misinterpreted/abused by Pope Stephen.

What is apparent -- and, more importantly, what is relevant to our discussion -- is that the collegiality of bishops is upheld in both the "primacy text" and, in more specific terms, in the variant. The acceptance of this view of the collegiality of bishops is corroborated generally by what we know of the history of the Church to this point, and specifically by the testimony of Firmillian of Caesarea -- you have done nothing to refute this. The Roman account is corroborated by the Catholic Encyclopedia. Take your pick. Wink

It is certain that where internal discipline was concerned he considered that Rome should not interfere, and that uniformity was not desirable -- a most unpractical notion. We have always to remember that his experience as a Christian was of short duration, that he became a bishop soon after he was converted, and that he had no Christian writings besides Holy Scripture to study besides those of Tertullian. He evidently knew no Greek, and probably was not acquainted with the translation of Irenaeus. Rome was to him the centre of the Church's unity; it was inaccessible to heresy, which had been knocking at its door for a century in vain. It was the See of Peter, who was the type of the bishop, the first of the Apostles. Difference of opinion between bishops as to the right occupant of the Sees of Arles or Emerita would not involve breach of communion, but rival bishops at Rome would divide the Church, and to communicate with the wrong one would be schism.

First, the Roman interpretation of Irenaeus' Adv. Haer. -- which is, I assume, what the article is referring to -- is historically and theologically untenable for the same reasons that the Roman interpretation of St. Cyprian's De Unit. Eccles. is historically and theologically untenable. I have treated this subject previously here:

Second, if there was anyone who believe that Rome was "inaccessible to heresy", they were to be disabused of this notion in the seventh century.

Third, it would appear that the editors of the Catholic Encyclopedia are attempting to cast St. Cyprian as a man who held that Rome was the center of Church unity, according to the Roman interpretation, and who held that Rome should not interfere in matters of internal discipline -- which is not held according to the Roman interpretation. Once again, the collegiality of bishops is the chief point Cyprian was trying to get across, and, according to this, Stephen was not permitted to interfere with the affairs of the African church.

"They dare to sail...to the chair of Peter and to the principal church whence sacredotal unity has sprung."

Quoted from both books "Papal Primacy- From its Origins to the Present" by Klaus Schatz and "Scribe of the Kingdom: Essays on Theology and Culture" by Aidan Nichols

First off, I would suggest to you a very good read in Schatzs' "Papal Primacy". Written by a Catholic in one of the most un-partial pieces I have read to date. It is a purely historical treatment and emphasizes the development of papal primacy.

Hm. It would seem that Schatz's scholarship actually supports the traditional view of Cyprian's collegial theory, and refutes the traditional Roman interpretation of De. Unit. Eccles. Take special note of the following quote from Papal Primacy:

The issue here was the "acknowledgement of a higher authority belonging to Peter's successors that cannot be adequately described in juridical terms. In principle, the Roman bishop had no greater authority than any other bishop, but in the hierarchy of authorities, his decision took the foremost place."

On the other hand, Cyprian regarded every bishop as the successor of Peter, holder of the keys to the kingdom of heaven and possessor of the power to bind and loose. For him, Peter embodied the original unity of the Church and the episcopal office, but in principle these were also present in every bishop

For Cyprian, responsibility for the whole Church and the solidarity of all bishops could also, if necessary, be turned against Rome. There is a striking example of this from the same period involving two Spanish bishops, Basilides and Martial. During the persecution they had not sacrificed to the idols, but like many other Christians they had bribed officials to obtain "certificates of sacrifice" (libellie). As a result, they had lost credibility in their congregations and had been expelled. Nevertheless (in Cyprian's opinion by misrepresenting facts) they succeeded in obtaining recognition from Stephen of Rome. Cyprian reacted immediately by calling an African synod to warn the two communities to reject Stephen's decision and refuse to readmit the two bishops. [Schatz, Papal Primacy]

"This interpretation of Cyprian's view of the Roman see, drawn from his Letters, enables us to say that both versions of the De Unitae may be authentic. Both versions are compatible with Cyprian's doctrine as thus expounded."

Both versions of the text are compatible with Cyprian's doctrine; what they are not compatible with is the Roman interpretation. This, I repeat, is the most likely explanation for the fact that there are two texts: Cyprian redacted it to counter the pretensions of Pope Stephen, which subsequently became the basis for the Roman interpretation of the text.

I would refer you to the following passage from Nichols' Scribes of the Kingdom

In principle, it is possible that Cyprian's interest in Rome depended on Rome's civil position within the empire. Since so many local churches had dealings with Rome, a Roman schism would -- purely empirically -- divide the Church more successfully than any other. But it is also equally possible that Cyprian regarded Rome as occupying a theologically unique position within the intercommunion of episcopally ordered churches. [Nichols, Scribes of the Kingdom]

The text in bold sums up the view of the history of the ante-Nicene era which was prevalent at the Ecumenical Councils. It is also relevant to our discussion. If you wish to debate Nichols' views on the papacy, we can do so; I actually have quite a lot to say. For the purposes of brevity, however, I shall confine myself to this passage and suggest that we resolve the issues currently pending in our discussion.

"We can, however, note the affair as a cause of discord between St.

I would actually like a citation from one of Cyprian's writings to this effect, so I could see the proper context. Mind you, I don't doubt that he said it -- the laity in the early Church had much more say than the laity in the modern Church. I would also like to see an account of Cyprian's communication with Stephen, if we are to discuss it.

Dear Ako, I fail to see you can not discern Cyprian's contradictionsConfused He feels that baptism, a crucial aspect of salvation, can be an option for each bishop of his flock?? It is an issue of the utmost importance, yet bishops can differ as they see fit!

As for the supposed contradiction you posited before, you were, if you will recall, referring to the issue of lay influence on the episcopacy. I responded to this. If you would like, we can discuss it. As I said earlier:

As for the supposed contradiction which you now posit, I cannot address the issue in context without the citation I have requested from you, as well as an outline of where you feel the contradiction lies. Please provide both.

On the contrary, I must enthusiastically disagree with you. What conclusion the church ultimately came to [re. the rebaptism of heretics -Ako] is exactly the point of the issue at hand. One who wishes to do no injustice to historical realities will concede this orthodox interpretation, or ruling rather, on Rome's part seems to be a familiar stance she often takes, even in the face of eloquent bishops who would take opposition against her.

I agree that it is important, but only insofar as it speaks to their validity/invalidity. As we shall see below, the issue is nowhere near as simple as modern Roman apologetics posit.

"Now at Rome, as at Alexandria, the teaching had always been that

Excuse me I mispoke, I was trying to convey the point that the church adopted the Roman ruling. Now, before this ruling took place there were differences in re-baptism but as Hughes notes this was no problem for Rome or Alexandria and at a time, North Africa herself.

But earlier you said:

Dear Ako, I fail to see you can not discern Cyprian's contradictionsConfused He feels that baptism, a crucial aspect of salvation, can be an option for each bishop of his flock?? It is an issue of the utmost importance, yet bishops can differ as they see fit! -arch.buff

May I now assume that you are no longer confused regarding my position on the matter? Wink

"Blessed Cyprian attempted to avoid heresy, and therefore rejected the baptism conferred by heretics, sent [the acts of] an African Council on this matter to Stephen, who was then Bishop of the city of Rome, and twenty-second from St. Peter; but his attempt was in vain. Eventually those very Bishops, who had decreed with him that heretics were to be rebaptized, returned to the ancient custom, and published a new decree."

handed down
penance."

Hm. The only place I could find the Jerome quote was at an apologetics site, which noted that it couldn't be corroborated. It would be interesting to know what happened. As for the Stephen quote, I will note that he had every right to venture a personal opinion and define the rules for his own diocese. If the quote is taken as a command to the Church universal, it should be noted that the Ecumenical Councils were only too happy to correct him, but more on this below. The Roman ruling was not universally held throughout Church history, as we shall see in a moment.

That the Easterners differ on re-baptism, as with other issues, is of no cause for surprise. Rome, however, in what has been handed down to her, has no such dilemma.Wink

And here we get to the meat of the issue. Rome does not define the rules regarding baptism for the Church universal. In fact, she does not even define the rules regarding baptism for her own diocese if she is overruled by an Ecumenical Council, and the Roman Church has recognized this. First, we shall cite Canon VII of the Second Ecumenical Council (Const. AD 381):

Those who from heresy turn to orthodoxy, and to the portion of those who are being saved, we receive according to the following method and custom: Arians, and Macedonians, and Sabbatians, and Novatians, who call themselves Cathari or Aristori, and Quarto-decimans or Tetradites, and Apollinarians, we receive, upon their giving a written renunciation [of their errors] and anathematize every heresy which is not in accordance with the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of God. Thereupon, they are first sealed or anointed with the holy oil upon the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth, and ears; and when we seal them, we say, "The Seal of the gift of the Holy Ghost." But Eunomians, who are baptized with only one immersion, and Montanists, who are here called Phrygians, and Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son, and do sundry other mischievous things, and [the partisans of] all other heresies--for there are many such here, particularly among those who come from the country of the Galatians:--all these, when they desire to turn to orthodoxy, we receive as heathen. On the first day we make them Christians; on the second, catechumens; on the third, we exorcise them by breathing thrice in their face and ears; and thus we instruct them and oblige them to spend some time in the Church, and to hear the Scriptures; and then we baptize them. [Const. I, Can. 7]

It should be noted that this canon probably cannot be authentically attributed to the Second Ecumenical Council, but rather represents a later recognition of ancient practices regarding rebaptism. Still, what it does demonstrate is that there were differences regarding the practice of receiving heretics around two centuries after the conflict between Cyprian and Stephen. These differences centered upon the degree to which any given heresy deviated from the orthodox faith. Still, this is the least of the problems a modern Roman apologist will face in treating the acts of the Second Ecumenical Council (one of which being that there weren't even any Roman representatives present; we may discuss these problems further, if you like Wink), so let us turn to the acts of the First Ecumenical Council (Nicaea I, AD 325):

Concerning the Paulianists who have flown for refuge to the Catholic Church, it has been decreed that they must by all means be rebaptized; and if any of them who in past time have been numbered among their clergy should be found blameless and without reproach, let them be rebaptized and ordained by the Bishop of the Catholic Church; but if the examination should discover them to be unfit, they ought to be deposed. Likewise in the case of their deaconesses, and generally in the case of those who have been enrolled among their clergy, let the same form be observed. And we mean by deaconesses such as have assumed the habit, but who, since they have no imposition of hands, are to be numbered only among the laity. [Nicaea I, Can. 19]

The Roman legates assented to the promulgation of the canons of Nicaea. Thus, the Roman church has not always held to a universal decree regarding the validity of the baptism of heretics, anymore than any of the other churches have done so. As we have seen, the practice regarding the rebaptism of heretics was a matter to be defined on a case by case basis with a general set of principles in place.

And thank you, Akolouthos. I too look forward to all discussions in and around this subject of church history, especially with such a learned sophisticate such as Akolouthos. Might I be so bold as to fancy myself a Stephen, outmatched in eloquence and persuasiveness by my opposition, yet holing steadfast in what is truth?LOL Wink

God bless,

arch.buff

You might, but I would prefer that you actually hold to the truth, rather than just fancy yourself as doing so. Wink

Seriously though, this is quite the interesting discussion. I'm actually learning a lot about St. Cyprian as we go along, which is a great blessing. I doubt I would've cracked several of these books had I not had a purpose in doing so, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten this much of a feel for the character of one of the most popular figures -- as well as one of the most oft-recurring controversies (after all, the issue of rebaptism is still a matter much discussed) -- in Church history. For this you have my thanks. Smile I eagerly await your reply.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 27-Mar-2008 at 21:46
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 08:00

Hey arch.buff,

I had some spare time, and decided to get back with you a bit earlier than has been my habit. Please do not get used to it; punctuality has never been my strong suit. Still, since this conversation provides a pleasant diversion from the cares of the world, I must hasten to it when I can. Smile

To your testimony of St. Cyprian being praised I would only add an AMEN!

I concur, at least within the proper context. I will add another description, for the purposes of expanding that context:

The second African theologian, Cyprian of Carthage, was a personality totally different from Tertullian. He had nothing of the latter's intemperance nor of his domination genius, but rather those noble qualities of heart that attract charity and gentleness, prudence and spirit of union; these Tertullian lacked. [Quasten, Patrology, Vol. 2]

Cyprian's literary activity was intimately connected withy his life and times. All of his works are written for specific occasions and served practical purposes. He was a man of action, interested in the direction of souls rather than in theological speculation. He had neither Tertullian's depth and gift of expression nor his fiery passionateness. On the other hand, his practical wisdom avoids the exagerrations and provocations which did so much harm to the other. His language and style are more polished, and show a greater influence of the vocabulary and imagery of the Bible... In Christian antiquity, as in the Middle Ages, he was one of the most popular authors and his writings are extant in a great number of manuscripts. [Quasten, Patrology, Vol. 2]

The reason I have cited the quotes from above is to demonstrate that we must needs examine Cyprian within the context of this discussion. True, he was not a master speculative theologian. As Quasten notes, he was more concerned with the practical aspects of the faith. Still, it is precisely this practical wisdom that is relevant to our discussion of De Unit. Eccles. If we were speaking of his opinion on the transmigration or pre-existence of souls, on apocatastasis, or on any of the variations of Adoptionism that were to cause so much trouble, we would need to consider his gifts for speculative theology. Since we are speaking of his ecclesiology, defined in terms of his views of the episcopacy, it is much more important that we take into account his "noble qualities of heart that attract charity and gentleness, prudence and spirit of union," as well as the fact that "all of his works are written for specific occasions and served practical purposes."

Within this context, St. Cyprian's interpretation of his own writings, as well as his view of how his ecclesiology manifests itself, becomes very important.

I will definately take a look at the elucidation once I get some real free time. This quote taken from the site seems pretty clear: 

"The old contention that it is a Roman forgery is at all events quite out of the question.

As I have noted, I do not personally hold to the Roman forgery theory. That said, it is a theory, and I am certainly not surprised that the Catholic Encyclopedia believes that its validity is "out of the question." After all, you wouldn't expect them to credit it, would you? LOL

Still, it is worth noting that only a couple of decades had passed between the publishing of the Ante-Nicene Fathers -- from which the elucidation is drawn -- and the Catholic Encyclopedia, and I would doubt that enough was gleaned in the intervening years to dismiss the theory out of hand. It is far more likely that the ANF and the Catholic Encyclopedia are simply manifesting the biases of their respective editors. Still, I'd suggest you read that elucidation. The editors of the ANF have posited one particularly interesting piece of evidence for their interpretation. That said, I continue to prefer the view that St. Cyprian, himself, redacted the text when it became apparent that it had been misinterpreted/abused by Pope Stephen.

What is apparent -- and, more importantly, what is relevant to our discussion -- is that the collegiality of bishops is upheld in both the "primacy text" and, in more specific terms, in the variant. The acceptance of this view of the collegiality of bishops is corroborated generally by what we know of the history of the Church to this point, and specifically by the testimony of Firmillian of Caesarea -- you have done nothing to refute this. The Roman account is corroborated by the Catholic Encyclopedia. Take your pick. Wink

It is certain that where internal discipline was concerned he considered that Rome should not interfere, and that uniformity was not desirable -- a most unpractical notion. We have always to remember that his experience as a Christian was of short duration, that he became a bishop soon after he was converted, and that he had no Christian writings besides Holy Scripture to study besides those of Tertullian. He evidently knew no Greek, and probably was not acquainted with the translation of Irenaeus. Rome was to him the centre of the Church's unity; it was inaccessible to heresy, which had been knocking at its door for a century in vain. It was the See of Peter, who was the type of the bishop, the first of the Apostles. Difference of opinion between bishops as to the right occupant of the Sees of Arles or Emerita would not involve breach of communion, but rival bishops at Rome would divide the Church, and to communicate with the wrong one would be schism.

First, the Roman interpretation of Irenaeus' Adv. Haer. -- which is, I assume, what the article is referring to -- is historically and theologically untenable for the same reasons that the Roman interpretation of St. Cyprian's De Unit. Eccles. is historically and theologically untenable. I have treated this subject previously here:

Second, if there was anyone who believe that Rome was "inaccessible to heresy", they were to be disabused of this notion in the seventh century.

Third, it would appear that the editors of the Catholic Encyclopedia are attempting to cast St. Cyprian as a man who held that Rome was the center of Church unity, according to the Roman interpretation, and who held that Rome should not interfere in matters of internal discipline -- which is not held according to the Roman interpretation. Once again, the collegiality of bishops is the chief point Cyprian was trying to get across, and, according to this, Stephen was not permitted to interfere with the affairs of the African church.

Hm. It would seem that Schatz's scholarship actually supports the traditional view of Cyprian's collegial theory, and refutes the traditional Roman interpretation of De. Unit. Eccles. Take special note of the following quote from Papal Primacy:

The issue here was the "acknowledgement of a higher authority belonging to Peter's successors that cannot be adequately described in juridical terms. In principle, the Roman bishop had no greater authority than any other bishop, but in the hierarchy of authorities, his decision took the foremost place."

On the other hand, Cyprian regarded every bishop as the successor of Peter, holder of the keys to the kingdom of heaven and possessor of the power to bind and loose. For him, Peter embodied the original unity of the Church and the episcopal office, but in principle these were also present in every bishop

For Cyprian, responsibility for the whole Church and the solidarity of all bishops could also, if necessary, be turned against Rome. There is a striking example of this from the same period involving two Spanish bishops, Basilides and Martial. During the persecution they had not sacrificed to the idols, but like many other Christians they had bribed officials to obtain "certificates of sacrifice" (libellie). As a result, they had lost credibility in their congregations and had been expelled. Nevertheless (in Cyprian's opinion by misrepresenting facts) they succeeded in obtaining recognition from Stephen of Rome. Cyprian reacted immediately by calling an African synod to warn the two communities to reject Stephen's decision and refuse to readmit the two bishops. [Schatz, Papal Primacy]

"This interpretation of Cyprian's view of the Roman see, drawn from his Letters, enables us to say that both versions of the De Unitae may be authentic. Both versions are compatible with Cyprian's doctrine as thus expounded."

Both versions of the text are compatible with Cyprian's doctrine; what they are not compatible with is the Roman interpretation. This, I repeat, is the most likely explanation for the fact that there are two texts: Cyprian redacted it to counter the pretensions of Pope Stephen, which subsequently became the basis for the Roman interpretation of the text.

I would refer you to the following passage from Nichols' Scribes of the Kingdom

In principle, it is possible that Cyprian's interest in Rome depended on Rome's civil position within the empire. Since so many local churches had dealings with Rome, a Roman schism would -- purely empirically -- divide the Church more successfully than any other. But it is also equally possible that Cyprian regarded Rome as occupying a theologically unique position within the intercommunion of episcopally ordered churches. [Nichols, Scribes of the Kingdom]

The text in bold sums up the view of the history of the ante-Nicene era which was prevalent at the Ecumenical Councils. It is also relevant to our discussion. If you wish to debate Nichols' views on the papacy, we can do so; I actually have quite a lot to say. For the purposes of brevity, however, I shall confine myself to this passage and suggest that we resolve the issues currently pending in our discussion.

"We can, however, note the affair as a cause of discord between St.

I would actually like a citation from one of Cyprian's writings to this effect, so I could see the proper context. Mind you, I don't doubt that he said it -- the laity in the early Church had much more say than the laity in the modern Church. I would also like to see an account of Cyprian's communication with Stephen, if we are to discuss it.

As for the supposed contradiction you posited before, you were, if you will recall, referring to the issue of lay influence on the episcopacy. I responded to this. If you would like, we can discuss it. As I said earlier:

As for the supposed contradiction which you now posit, I cannot address the issue in context without the citation I have requested from you, as well as an outline of where you feel the contradiction lies. Please provide both.

On the contrary, I must enthusiastically disagree with you. What conclusion the church ultimately came to [re. the rebaptism of heretics -Ako] is exactly the point of the issue at hand. One who wishes to do no injustice to historical realities will concede this orthodox interpretation, or ruling rather, on Rome's part seems to be a familiar stance she often takes, even in the face of eloquent bishops who would take opposition against her.

I agree that it is important, but only insofar as it speaks to their validity/invalidity. As we shall see below, the issue is nowhere near as simple as modern Roman apologetics posit.

"Now at Rome, as at Alexandria, the teaching had always been that

But earlier you said:

Dear Ako, I fail to see you can not discern Cyprian's contradictionsConfused He feels that baptism, a crucial aspect of salvation, can be an option for each bishop of his flock?? It is an issue of the utmost importance, yet bishops can differ as they see fit! -arch.buff

May I now assume that you are no longer confused regarding my position on the matter? Wink

handed down
penance."

Hm. The only place I could find the Jerome quote was at an apologetics site, which noted that it couldn't be corroborated. It would be interesting to know what happened. As for the Stephen quote, I will note that he had every right to venture a personal opinion and define the rules for his own diocese. If the quote is taken as a command to the Church universal, it should be noted that the Ecumenical Councils were only too happy to correct him, but more on this below. The Roman ruling was not universally held throughout Church history, as we shall see in a moment.

And here we get to the meat of the issue. Rome does not define the rules regarding baptism for the Church universal. In fact, she does not even define the rules regarding baptism for her own diocese if she is overruled by an Ecumenical Council, and the Roman Church has recognized this. First, we shall cite Canon VII of the Second Ecumenical Council (Const. AD 381):

Those who from heresy turn to orthodoxy, and to the portion of those who are being saved, we receive according to the following method and custom: Arians, and Macedonians, and Sabbatians, and Novatians, who call themselves Cathari or Aristori, and Quarto-decimans or Tetradites, and Apollinarians, we receive, upon their giving a written renunciation [of their errors] and anathematize every heresy which is not in accordance with the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of God. Thereupon, they are first sealed or anointed with the holy oil upon the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth, and ears; and when we seal them, we say, "The Seal of the gift of the Holy Ghost." But Eunomians, who are baptized with only one immersion, and Montanists, who are here called Phrygians, and Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son, and do sundry other mischievous things, and [the partisans of] all other heresies--for there are many such here, particularly among those who come from the country of the Galatians:--all these, when they desire to turn to orthodoxy, we receive as heathen. On the first day we make them Christians; on the second, catechumens; on the third, we exorcise them by breathing thrice in their face and ears; and thus we instruct them and oblige them to spend some time in the Church, and to hear the Scriptures; and then we baptize them. [Const. I, Can. 7]

It should be noted that this canon probably cannot be authentically attributed to the Second Ecumenical Council, but rather represents a later recognition of ancient practices regarding rebaptism. Still, what it does demonstrate is that there were differences regarding the practice of receiving heretics around two centuries after the conflict between Cyprian and Stephen. These differences centered upon the degree to which any given heresy deviated from the orthodox faith. Still, this is the least of the problems a modern Roman apologist will face in treating the acts of the Second Ecumenical Council (one of which being that there weren't even any Roman representatives present; we may discuss these problems further, if you like Wink), so let us turn to the acts of the First Ecumenical Council (Nicaea I, AD 325):

Concerning the Paulianists who have flown for refuge to the Catholic Church, it has been decreed that they must by all means be rebaptized; and if any of them who in past time have been numbered among their clergy should be found blameless and without reproach, let them be rebaptized and ordained by the Bishop of the Catholic Church; but if the examination should discover them to be unfit, they ought to be deposed. Likewise in the case of their deaconesses, and generally in the case of those who have been enrolled among their clergy, let the same form be observed. And we mean by deaconesses such as have assumed the habit, but who, since they have no imposition of hands, are to be numbered only among the laity. [Nicaea I, Can. 19]

The Roman legates assented to the promulgation of the canons of Nicaea. Thus, the Roman church has not always held to a universal decree regarding the validity of the baptism of heretics, anymore than any of the other churches have done so. As we have seen, the practice regarding the rebaptism of heretics was a matter to be defined on a case by case basis with a general set of principles in place.

And thank you, Akolouthos. I too look forward to all discussions in and around this subject of church history, especially with such a learned sophisticate such as Akolouthos. Might I be so bold as to fancy myself a Stephen, outmatched in eloquence and persuasiveness by my opposition, yet holing steadfast in what is truth?LOL Wink

God bless,

arch.buff

You might, but I would prefer that you actually hold to the truth, rather than just fancy yourself as doing so. Wink

Seriously though, this is quite the interesting discussion. I'm actually learning a lot about St. Cyprian as we go along, which is a great blessing. I doubt I would've cracked several of these books had I not had a purpose in doing so, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten this much of a feel for the character of one of the most popular figures -- as well as one of the most oft-recurring controversies (after all, the issue of rebaptism is still a matter much discussed) -- in Church history. For this you have my thanks. Smile I eagerly await your reply.

-Akolouthos

Greetings Ako,

I was anticipating discussing the topics of both the 2nd and 4th Ecumenical councils, but it has become clear that what is more urgent an issue, at the present,  is the topic of re-baptism. I promise to address the councils in the following week *crosses fingers* LOL

First off, I am glad you quoted the canons regarding re-baptism. However, I fear they more oppose your point-of-view, than affirm it. In retrospect, maybe this is too stern a statement. Having said that, I feel you have complicated the situation and may be a lil hazy on the Roman ruling in all its truthfulness.

Let us first turn to the Council of Arles(314). Before I quote the canon associated with re-baptism let us first turn to St. Augustine:

"The question relating to re-baptism was decided against Cyprian,
in a full council of the whole Church" (Hefele, His. Coun.).

The more important question remains, what council was the saint refering to? Either the Council of Arles or 1st of Nicea are the options. Either way, he views it as opposing Cyprian's stance.

Hefele notes on the 8th canon of Arles(314):

"We have already seen that several African synods, held
under Agrippinus and Cyprian, ordered that whoever had been
baptized by a heretic, was to be re-baptized on re-entering the
Church. The Council of Arles abolished this law of the
Africans, and decreed that those who had received baptism
from heretics in the name of the holy Trinity were not to be
again baptized, but simply to receive the imposition of hands,
ut accipiat Spiritum sanctum. Thus, as we have already said,
the imposition of hands on those converted was ad paenitentiam
and ad confirmationem. The Council of Arles promulgated in
this eighth canon the rule that has always been in force, and
is still preserved in our time, with regard to baptism conferred
by heretics: it was adopted and renewed by the nineteenth
canon of the Ecumenical Council of Nicea."

Thus St. Vincent of Lerins states in the 6th chapter of his Commonitory:

"Great then is the example of these same blessed men, an example plainly divine, and worthy to be called to mind, and medirated upon continually by every true Catholic, who, like the seven-branched candlestick, shining with the sevenfold light of the Holy Spirit, showed to posterity how thenceforward the audaciousness of profane novelty, in all the several rantings of error, might be crushed by the authority of hallowed antiquity.

Nor is there anything new in this? For it has always been the case in the Church, that the more a man is under the influence of religion, so much the more prompt is he to oppose innovations. Examples there are without number: but to be brief, we will take one, and that, in preference to others, from the Apostolic See, so that it may be clearer than day to every one with how great energy, with how great zeal, with how great earnestness, the blessed successors of the blessed apostles have constantly defended the integrity of the religion which they have once received.

Once on a time then, Agrippinus, bishop of Carthage, of venerable memory, held the doctrine—and he was the first who held it—that Baptism ought to be repeated, contrary to the divine canon, contrary to the rule of the universal Church, contrary to the customs and institutions of our ancestors. This innovation drew after it such an amount of evil, that it not only gave an example of sacrilege to heretics of all sorts, but proved an occasion of error to certain Catholics even.

When then all men protested against the novelty, and the priesthood everywhere, each as his zeal prompted him, opposed it, Pope Stephen of blessed memory, Prelate of the Apostolic See, in conjunction indeed with his colleagues but yet himself the foremost, withstood it, thinking it right, I doubt not, that as he exceeded all others in the authority of his place, so he should also in the devotion of his faith. In fine, in an epistle sent at the time to Africa, he laid down this rule: Let there be no innovation—nothing but what has been handed down. For that holy and prudent man well knew that true piety admits no other rule than that whatsoever things have been faithfully received from our fathers the same are to be faithfully consigned to our children; and that it is our duty, not to lead religion whither we would, but rather to follow religion whither it leads; and that it is the part of Christian modesty and gravity not to hand down our own beliefs or observances to those who come after us, but to preserve and keep what we have received from those who went before us. What then was the issue of the whole matter? What but the usual and customary one? Antiquity was retained, novelty was rejected.

But it may be, the cause of innovation at that time lacked patronage. On the contrary, it had in its favor such powerful talent, such copious eloquence, such a number of partisans, so much resemblance to truth, such weighty support in Scripture (only interpreted in a novel and perverse sense), that it seems to me that that whole conspiracy could not possibly have been defeated, unless the sole cause of this extraordinary stir, the very novelty of what was so undertaken, so defended, so belauded, had proved wanting to it. In the end, what result, under God, had that same African Council or decree? None whatever. The whole affair, as though a dream, a fable, a thing of no possible account, was annulled, cancelled, and trodden underfoot.

And O marvellous revolution! The authors of this same doctrine are judged Catholics, the followers heretics; the teachers are absolved, the disciples condemned; the writers of the books will be children of the Kingdom, the defenders of them will have their portion in Hell. For who is so demented as to doubt that that blessed light among all holy bishops and martyrs, Cyprian, together with the rest of his colleagues, will reign with Christ; or, who on the other hand so sacrilegious as to deny that the Donatists and those other pests, who boast the authority of that council for their iteration of baptism, will be consigned to eternal fire with the devil?"

As far as the more ancient custom goes, Cyprian himself tries to relate that the re-baptism of heretics is of no innovation. However, Cyprian , just as St. Vincent, attributes the earliest he knows of the custom to Agrippinus; which is to say in the early 3rd Century (possibly 220 A.D.) He only replies:

"Is antiquity, then, more precious than truth?"

Moreover, he states:

"In spiritual things we must observe what the Holy Spirit has (afterwards) more
fully revealed (id in spiritualibus sequendum, quod in meliiis
fuerit a Spiritu sancto revelatum)."
He acknowledges, therefore,
in his practice a progress brought about by the successive
revelations of the Holy Spirit (Hefele, Hist. Coun.).

*NOTE* I will be posting, in the future, in regards to the above quote.
If it hasnt become clear yet that Cyprian acknowledges the older custom of not re-baptizing; he further states:

"Divine mercy may well come to their aid; but because one has
erred once, it is no reason for continuing to err (non tamen, quia
aliquando erratum est, idea semper errandum est)."

But what was Firmilian's stance on the antiquity of the two customs? He writes in a letter documented with the Letters of Cyprian:

" You Africans, can answer Stephen, that having found
the truth, you have renounced the error of your (previous) custom
(vos dicere Afri potestis, cognita veritate crrorem vos consududinis reliquisse)."

Firmilian acknowledges the older custom, but wishes to attribute it to purely human tradition. But how did Firmilian respond when he felt the need to defend his territory(Asia Minor) against his adversaries? He responds with the greatest answer of all: "We do not remember when this practice began amongst us!"Confused He finally appeals to the synod of Iconium, which is to say, about the year 230 A. D.

Now, having dealt sufficiently with the traditions antiquity let us turn to the other canons of the Church:

"Concerning the former Paulinists who seek refuge in the catholic church, it is determined that they must be rebaptised unconditionally. Those who in the past have been enrolled among the clergy, if they appear to be blameless and irreproachable, are to be rebaptised and ordained by the bishop of the catholic church. But if on inquiry they are shown to be unsuitable, it is right that they should be deposed. Similarly with regard to deaconesses and all in general whose names have been included in the roll, the same form shall be observed. We refer to deaconesses who have been granted this status, for they do not receive any imposition of hands, so that they are in all respects to be numbered among the laity. (Canon 19, 1st Nicea)

Now, let us address this canon. I take it you assert that the Roman ruling on the matter must be false because the canon simply states "re-baptism". If you have came to this conclusion, dear friend, let me make clear what may at first be cloudy. The canon is addressed to the Paulinists that wish to revert Catholic, and so the canon relates they must, in fact, be re-baptised. The reason for their re-baptism is precisely because they come from Paul of Somosata. They need to be re-baptised, and here's the fine point, because their baptism is invalid.

"The baptism of Christ, as usual was regarded by Paul as a step in His junction with the Logos. If He had been God by nature, Paul argued, there would be two Gods. He forbade hymns to Christ, and openly attacked the older (Alexandrian) interpretations of Scripture.

The party of Paul did not at once disappear. The Council of Nicæa declared the baptism conferred by the Paulianists to be invalid. There is something, though not much, of his teaching in the Lucianist and Arian systems which issued from -->Antioch. But their Christology was the very opposite of his, which was rather to reappear in a modified -->form in Theodore of Mopsuestia, -->Diodorus, Nestorius, and even Theodoret, though these later Antiochenes warmly rejected the imputation of any agreement with the heretic Paul, even in Christology.   http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11589a.htm

Onto the 7th canon of Constantinople which, in itself, really should own its own discussion. For the canon can not even be attributed to the synod of 382. Nevertheless, its words are as follows:

Those who embrace orthodoxy and join the number of those who are being saved from the heretics, we receive in the following regular and customary manner: Arians, Macedonians, Sabbatians, Novatians, those who call themselves Cathars and Aristae, Quartodeciman or Tetradites, Apollinarians-these we receive when they hand in statements and anathematise every heresy which is not of the same mind as the holy, catholic and apostolic church of God. They are first sealed or anointed with holy chrism on the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth and ears. As we seal them we say: "Seal of the gift of the holy Spirit". But Eunomians, who are baptised in a single immersion, Montanists (called Phrygians here), Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son and make certain other difficulties, and all other sects -- since there are many here, not least those who originate in the country of the Galatians -- we receive all who wish to leave them and embrace orthodoxy as we do Greeks. On the first day we make Christians of them, on the second catechumens, on the third we exorcise them by breathing three times into their faces and their ears, and thus we catechise them and make them spend time in the church and listen to the scriptures; and then we baptise them. (Canon 7, consolidated with 1st Const.)

We see the same thing here with this canon. The special note that should be taken from these canons is thus: If the baptism is valid, then they are NOT to be re-baptised.

But what is Stephen's viewpoint for this ancient custom? And more importantly does it agree with the canons?

In Cyprian's 73rd Epistle he writes:

"Those who forbid the baptism of heretics lay great stress upon this, that
even those who had been baptized by Marcion were not re-
baptized, because they had already been baptized in the name of
Jesus Christ."

In this very same Epistle Cyprian openly ackowledges that heretics baptise in nomine Christi. Moreover, he acknowledges that those who oppose him accept this baptism even if administered outside the Church. In the name of the Trinity, baptism in valid.

Hefele gives testimony to what Firmilian felt about Stephen and the Trinitarian formula:

"He relates, indeed, that about twenty-two years before
he had baptized a woman in his own country who professed
to be a prophetess, but who, in fact, was possessed by an evil
spirit. Now, he asks, would Stephen and his partisans approve
even of the baptism which she had received, because it had
been administered with the formula of the Trinity (maxime
cui nee symbolum Trinitatis defuit)?"

Moreover, in the anonymous letter written during the time of Cyprian: De Rebaptismate starts:

"I Observe that it has been asked among the brethren what course ought specially to be adopted towards the persons of those who, although baptized in heresy, have yet been baptized in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ..."

So, then, what of penance and confirmation? Where does Stephen stand on these issues, or did he even address them at all?

Hefele notes: 'Stephen adds, in panitentiam, that is, that " it is necessary
that a penance should be imposed on the convert."'

Again he makes note of Cyprian's words:

"If baptism out of the Church is valid, it is no longer necessary even to lay hands on the
converts, ut Spiritum Sanctum consequatur et signctur;" that
is to say: You contradict yourselves if you attribute a real
value to baptism by heretics; you must also equally admit
the validity of confirmation by heretics. Now you require
that those who have been confirmed by heretics should be so
again. S. Cyprian here forgets the great difference,which
exists between the value of baptism and of confirmation;1
but his words prove that Stephen wished that penance and
confirmation should be bestowed upon converts.

And he lastly concludes:

"The same conclusion is to be drawn from certain votes of
the bishops assembled at the third Council of Carthage (256).
Thus Secundinus Bishop of Carpi said: " The imposition of
hands (without the repetition of baptism, as Stephen required)
cannot bring down the Holy Spirit upon the converts, because
they have not yet even been baptized." Nemesianus Bishop
of Thubuni speaks still more clearly: " They (the adversaries)
believe that by imposition of hands the Holy Spirit is imparted,
whilst regeneration is possible only when one receives
the two sacraments (baptism and confirmation3) in the Church."
These two testimonies prove that Stephen regarded confirmation
as well as penance to be necessary for converts."

As you are familiar, I have taken much from Hefele. I encourage you to read his work in its entirety. http://books.google.com/books?id=ifECAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA116&output=html
The re-baptism controversy deals in pgs. 98-116

In conclusion, as we have seen, the Roman ruling on re-baptism conforms to the latter canons and does not contradict them. We, also, could have stated the Apostolic canons 46 & 47, but the dating of these is somewhat a controversy in itself as well. I really am enjoying our conversation, I have learned much thru my research and hope to learn much more. Through all of our dealings it pleases me to no end to note that we have kept charity as our common denominator, and I hope our course of "dialogue through undestanding" can retain its path. I eagerly await your reply.

Cheers

God bless,

arch.buff

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 05:28

Greetings Ako,

I was anticipating discussing the topics of both the 2nd and 4th Ecumenical councils, but it has become clear that what is more urgent an issue, at the present,  is the topic of re-baptism. I promise to address the councils in the following week *crosses fingers* LOL

First off, I am glad you quoted the canons regarding re-baptism. However, I fear they more oppose your point-of-view, than affirm it. In retrospect, maybe this is too stern a statement. Having said that, I feel you have complicated the situation and may be a lil hazy on the Roman ruling in all its truthfulness.

Of course I have complicated the situation; in fact, my entire contention is precisely that the rules regarding heretic baptism are complicated. And no, the canons do not oppose this point of view.

I think, perhaps, that you may have misunderstood me, I may have misunderstood you, or we may have misunderstood each other. It would appear that you acknowledge that when a baptism is ruled invalid -- generally a non-Trinitarian baptism -- rebaptism is required. This has been my contention all along. If you will recall, I said that there is no general principle that can be universally applied -- though there are canonical precedents to take into account, each situation may be handled on an individual basis. This is really nothing all that odd; after all, the return of heretics, former soldiers, etc. to the fold was one of the major issues at the first two Ecumenical Councils.

It would appear, if you acknowledge this, that the only disagreement we have on this point deals with the who, rather than the what of the situation. The question we should be asking ourselves runs thus: "Who has the right to determine baptismal policy in the case of heretics who wish to return to the fold?"

This also brings us back to the initial question of the Roman primacy. If you will recall, the entire point of bringing up Firmillian had little to do with his views on baptism, and everything to do with his views on Stephen's interference in Cyprian's diocese. If you acknowledge all of the above -- go back and check through my posts; if you have any questions regarding the nature of my contention, I shall answer them -- I would suggest that it would be more profitable to return to the issue at hand: that being the issue of Stephen's interference in Cyprian's diocese. I would also like to eventually see the outstanding issues in this discussion addressed, but with our mutual procrastination well established, I am willing to wait a bit more. LOL Always a pleasure, arch.buff. Let me know if you have any questions. Smile

-Akolouthos
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 01:49

Pope Leo's refusal to accept canon 28 did nothing to prevent it from going into force, as he, himself, lamented. He stated, in a letter to the Empress Pulcheria (Ep. CXVI) that the Illyrian bishops, who were in the Roman ecclesiastical sphere, had subscribed to the decree. Indeed, his words were as the squeakings of a mouse, and echoed only in those parts of the West where the canon was not intended to have all that much practical effect, anyway.

Let us turn, however, to the actions of the Roman legates, which render untenable Leo's assertion that Roman objections were based upon the fact that the 28th canon of Chalcedon overstepped the 6th of Nicaea. At the first session of Chalcedon, the acts of the Latrocinium (robber-council of Ephesus) of A.D. 449,  were examined, and it was noted that Flavian, who was then bishop of Constantinople, was given the fifth place. When Anatolius, who was the reigning bishop of Constantinople at Chalcedon, inquired, "Why did not Flavian receive his position?", Paschasinus, who was a Roman legate, stated: "We will, please God, recognize the present bishop Anatolius of Constantinople as the first [i.e. after us], but Dioscorus made Flavian the fifth."

Later, the Roman legates objected to the 28th canon of Chalcedon on the grounds that it referred to the Council of Constantinople, the canons of which, they said, were not to be found in Roman collections. This was probably true, since you will note that the Council of Constantinople -- the Second Ecumenical Council -- to which the Pope was not even invited (incidentally, Chalcedon was called in spite of the objections of Pope Leo), was provided over by Meletius of Antioch, who was out of communion of Rome (and died in that state, though he is now venerated  as a saint in both the East and the West), decided against the wishes of Damasus in the matter of the Antiochene episcopal succession, and prayed for the emperor Theodosius, not the pope, to validate what had been decreed. Back to the matter, at the first session of Chalcedon, the Roman legates already recognized Constantinople as second in honor among the ecclesiastical sees, despite their objections that the canonical decrees of Constantinople had not been promulgated in the West. The fact that they recognized this is clear proof of the duplicity of Pope Leo's later statements.

Anyway, the whole thing is a moot point. None of the Patriarchs has the authority to exercise a line-item veto. Revisionist Roman theory on this point simply does not match up with historical fact. This is borne out by the fact that Leo's refusal to accept the canon did not prevent it from going into force; you might say that the Holy Spirit guided the Church away from such presumption. The whole question, however, is purely academic in light of the subsequent actions of the Church during the Ecumenical Period. The 28th canon of Chalcedon was approved by the 31st of Trullo (Quinisext), and all of the canons of Trullo were approved by canon 1 of the Second Council of Nicaea (Seventh Ecumenical) in A.D. 787. Incidentally, I do not see how the Roman Church can reject the Trullan canons in light of their acceptance by Nicaea II, which condemned Iconoclasm.

I assure you it is not. It is the principle of "territorial accomodation", and has always been an essential part of the nature of the Church. If I have led you to believe that this is a mere geographical principle -- through imprecise -- or even incorrect -- phrasing, I apologize. It rather has to do with the status of the city, which involves the accrued "dignity" in both secular and religious affairs. The treatment of Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem) by the seventh canon of Nicaea is a perfect example of this:

Can. 7 Since custom and ancient tradition have prevailed that the Bishop of Aelia should be honored, let him, saving its due dignity to the Metropolis, have the next place of honor.

Jerusalem was to be honored, due to that city's religious status, as well as an existing tradition within the Church, yet her bishop was not to possess the jurisdictional authority due to a proper metropolitan. This was, however, amended by Chalcedon, which enumerated the bishops of Jerusalem among the ancient Pentarchs. As you can see, the rules are not as simple as they are often made out to be; this is precisely why the ranking of the sees -- which is, as is evident from the history of the Ecumenical Era, an ongoing process -- is reserved to the Ecumenical Councils. Remember, for a long time the bishops of Lyons verged on a semi-Patriarchal status, and while he is still afforded the title "Primate of Gaul" in the Roman Church, he has little canonical authority. Oh, and the reason that Ravenna and Milan were not enumerated in the rankings of the Councils, quite simply, is because they did not last as centers of prominence, or were overshadowed by metropolitan or Patriarchal sees.

That said, Ambrose of Milan provides another interesting example of the principle of territorial accomodation as it existed in a specific time, and specifically as it pertains to Rome. This example will also, I trust, serve to elucidate the nature of the status of Rome and the other ancient churches in the early Church. You will note that Ambrose was far more influential in ecclesiastical affairs than Damasus -- indeed, it is Ambrose who imposed a penance upon Theodosius, and it was to Ambrose that Theodosius came to repent of his massacre of the citizens of Thessalonica. Indeed, Ambrose was the most influential churchman in the West. Still, Damasus generally appears before Ambrose on letters written to the bishops of the West. Why? Quite simply because while Milan may have been a rising city with an influential bishop, and Rome might have been in the early stages of her decline, Rome still possessed a greater measure of Christian dignity. Thus, while Ambrose was influential in reality, the bishops -- even Ambrose -- were always deferential to the head of the Roman Church, by virtue of the respect due to the dignity of the Roman see.

Why have I provided these examples? To demonstrate that the question of the ranking of ecclesiastical sees is not as simple as you may think. It is not something to be grasped, but rather something to be sought after. There are so many things to be taken into account that oversimplifications present a host of problems. Thus, the principle of territorial accomodation, while it may be difficult to understand, and while it may seem un-ecclesiastical -- though I would not go so far as to say "un-Christian"; after all, the practical concerns related to a bishop's ability to serve his flock, which are the foundation of the principle, are very Christian in nature -- it was certainly a great part of the reason for the ranking of the sees, as Nicaea, Constantinople, and Chalcedon bear out. We must seek to understand the question in its proper historical context, as the holy fathers of the fifth century understood it. Here we turn to a reiteration of the 28th canon of Chalcedon and the 3rd of Constantinople, as well as the analysis of two noted ecclesiastical historians. (I'm requoting the canons so that people can keep up with what we are talking about).

Can. 28 Following in all things the decisions of the holy Fathers, and acknowledging the canon, which has been just read, of the One Hundred and Fifty Bishops beloved-of-God (who assembled in the imperial city of Constantinople, which is New Rome, in the time of the Emperor Theodosius of happy memory), we also do enact and decree the same things concerning the privileges of the most holy Church of Constantinople, which is New Rome. For the Fathers rightly granted privileges to the throne of old Rome, because it was the royal city. And the One Hundred and Fifty most religious Bishops, actuated by the same consideration, gave equal privileges to the most holy throne of New Rome, justly judging that the city which is honoured with the Sovereignty and the Senate, and enjoys equal privileges with the old imperial Rome, should in ecclesiastical matters also be magnified as she is, and rank next after her; so that, in the Pontic, the Asian, and the Thracian dioceses, the metropolitans only and such bishops also of the Dioceses aforesaid as are among the barbarians, should be ordained by the aforesaid most holy throne of the most holy Church of Constantinople; every metropolitan of the aforesaid dioceses, together with the bishops of his province, ordaining his own provincial bishops, as has been declared by the divine canons; but that, as has been above said, the metropolitans of the aforesaid Dioceses should be ordained by the archbishop of Constantinople, after the proper elections have been held according to custom and have been reported to him."
[Chalcedon, 451] 

[Constantinople, 381] 

They really speak for themselves, and I don't feel that I need to explain anything further. I will simply note that it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and the Council Fathers -- to paraphrase the blessed Evangelist -- to accept the principle of territorial accomodation as a factor in ranking the sees. But is this how it was understood by secular historians of the day? As the ecclesiastical historian Sozomenus noted, in the mid 5th century:

They likewise decreed that the affairs of each church should be subjected to the investigation and control of a council of the province; and that the bishop of Constantinople should rank next in point of precedence to the bishop of Rome, as occupying the see of New Rome; for Constantinople was not only already favored with this appellation, but was also in the enjoyment of many privileges, -- such as a senate of its own, and the division of the citizens into ranks and orders; it was also governed by its own magistrates, and possessed contracts, laws, and immunities in equal degree with those of Rome in Italy.
[Soz., Hist. Eccles., 7.9]

...and Socrates confirms:

The same prelates moreover published a decree, prescribing 'that the bishop of Constantinople should have the next prerogative of honor after the bishop of Rome, because that city was New Rome.' They also again confirmed the Nicene Creed.
[Soc., Hist. Eccles., 5.8]

In closing, I will also turn to the letter of Anatolius of Constantinople. And first I want to thank you for providing me with a link to this source -- although since I googled it, you and I may be looking at different articles (if so, thanks for the quote, which helped me find an article that I thought I'd never see again). When I first encountered it, long ago, I couldn't stop laughing at one point -- and, never fear; this has naught to do with the translation of the letter. The thing I couldn't get over, when I first read this, was the following quote:

Originally posted by Some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about

Thereafter, Pope Leo succeeded in getting both Emperors to call the Council of Chalcedon in 451.

LOLLOLLOL

Suffice it to say that we have already noted that the Council of Chalcedon was called by the emperor over the express objections of Pope Leo; that someone would assert that he called it... LOL It is sad that some people's modern biases blind them to the historical realities of an era long-since past. I do not fault you here, for the source does contain a fair bit of reliable information, and it is written -- if not researched -- in a manner consistent with scholarly style. I am actually quite glad that you found it; it speaks to the fact that you have been doing a fair amount of reserach -- as I recall, it was somewhat difficult to find (I think I was searching for something specific). Anyway, moving right along...

If you study the subject long enough, you will start to view letters like this in a manner entirely different than the way you view them now. I would recommend searching for as many collections as you can find, checking them out, and going over them, paying particular attention to forms of address. I would imagine that this letter began in an extremely self-effacing manner, the which is nothing out of the ordinary, and ended with profuse blessings and professions of undying love in Christ. The text, as you have implied, is decidedly self-effacing in tone.

Have you ever seen what he was responding to? LOL

For all of his saintliness, Leo was a decidedly arrogant and intractable man. Upon reception of the decrees of the Council he began a letter campaign against Anatolius and the 28th canon of Chalcedon. He wrote a series of increasingly inflammatory letters to the emperor Marcian and the empress Pulcheria, the Patriarch Anatolius, and the Gallic bishops. Anatolius was, to use the language of Scripture, humbling himself that he may be exalted; that is to say that he was abasing himself in order to maintain the unity of the Church, which was being threatened by Leo's arrogant, futile, and ultimately embarrasing attempts to destroy it. Anatolius responds to Leo's accusations that it was he who procured his own elevation by noting that it was called for by others. In essence, Leo is guilty of the very crime of which he accuses Anatolius -- pride -- and Anatolius is guilty (if it imparts any guilt) only of humility.

Well done, well done! This is certainly a fascinating conversation, and your willingness to delve into the depths of the sources with me is fully appreciated. I do not often get the chance for a thourough conversation like this, on an ecclesiological/theological topic. God bless you for providing me with one. Feel free to take as long as you want with your reply; the Lord knows I have been horribly slow in getting back to you.

May God bless and keep you and yours. Smile

-Akolouthos

Greetings brother!

As promised, I am again here present to offer a lil "Papist" insight!Big%20smile

I too agree with your assertion that we may have, in our prior discussional topic of re-baptism, misunderstood eachother. I will just leave note that all historians I have encountered hold to the opinion that the Roman ruling thus triumphed. The situation may be, as you have argued, complicated, but its foundations lay in what Rome had declared so many long years ago.

Before I begin, you may remember me stating that I felt the need to explain certain theological beliefs that directly relate to our discussion of primacy. First off, let me take this time to clearly relate to you that I believe the Roman primacy to be a development. From the outset, a Vatican I belief there was not. Of course, this in no way lays opposition to the validity there of; or does it mean that the primacy was not a divinely given gift to the Church by our Savior.

You may, at this point, be onto where Im going.....Development of Doctrine.

I have read some Orthodox rejections to this and some to that of Cardinal Newman, however, due to inadequacy, to no effect.

One such rebuttal- The Reply of the Synod of Constantinople to Pope Leo XIII- runs thus:

"It is manifest that the universal Church of God, which holds fast in its bosom unique, unadulterated and entire this salutary faith as a divine deposit, just as of old it was delivered and unfolded by the God-bearing Fathers moved by the Spirit, and formulated by them during the first nine centuries, is one and the same forever, and not manifold and varying with the process of time: because the gospel truths are never susceptible to alteration or progress in the course of time, like the various philosophical systems; 'for Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today, and forever.' Wherefore also the holy Vincent [of Lerins] who was brought up on the milk of piety received from the Fathers in the monastery of Lerins in Gaul, and flourished about the middle of the fifth century, with great wisdom and orthodoxy characterizes the true catholicity of the Faith and of the Church saying 'In the Catholic Church we must especially take heed to hold that which has been believed everywhere, at all times, and by all. For this is truly and properly catholic, as the very force and meaning of the word signifies, which moreover comprehends almost everything universally. And this we shall do, if we walk following universality, antiquity, and content.' But as has been said before, the western Church, from the tenth century onwards, has privily brought into herself through the papacy various and strange and heretical doctrines and innovations, and so she has been torn away and removed far from the true and orthodox Church of Christ. How necessary it is, then, for you to come back and return to the ancient and universal doctrines of the Church..."

As seen, the Easterns take from the venerable church father St. Vincent of Lerins. But how are the postulations of the Easterns to be reconciled when in the very same work they take from the saint also states:

"But some one will say, perhaps, Shall there, then, be no progress in Christ's Church? Certainly; all possible progress. For what being is there, so envious of men, so full of hatred to God, who would seek to forbid it? Yet on condition that it be real progress, not alteration of the faith. For progress requires that the subject be enlarged in itself, alteration, that it be transformed into something else. The intelligence, then, the knowledge, the wisdom, as well of individuals as of all, as well of one man as of the whole Church, ought, in the course of ages and centuries, to increase and make much and vigorous progress; but yet only in its own kind; that is to say, in the same doctrine, in the same sense, and in the same meaning.

The growth of religion in the soul must be analogous to the growth of the body, which, though in process of years it is developed and attains its full size, yet remains still the same. There is a wide difference between the flower of youth and the maturity of age; yet they who were once young are still the same now that they have become old, insomuch that though the stature and outward form of the individual are changed, yet his nature is one and the same, his person is one and the same. An infant's limbs are small, a young man's large, yet the infant and the young man are the same. Men when full grown have the same number of joints that they had when children; and if there be any to which maturer age has given birth these were already present in embryo, so that nothing new is produced in them when old which was not already latent in them when children. This, then, is undoubtedly the true and legitimate rule of progress, this the established and most beautiful order of growth, that mature age ever develops in the man those parts and forms which the wisdom of the Creator had already framed beforehand in the infant. Whereas, if the human form were changed into some shape belonging to another kind, or at any rate, if the number of its limbs were increased or diminished, the result would be that the whole body would become either a wreck or a monster, or, at the least, would be impaired and enfeebled.

In like manner, it behoves Christian doctrine to follow the same laws of progress, so as to be consolidated by years, enlarged by time, refined by age, and yet, withal, to continue uncorrupt and unadulterate, complete and perfect in all the measurement of its parts, and, so to speak, in all its proper members and senses, admitting no change, no waste of its distinctive property, no variation in its limits..."

I have felt necessary to at least touch upon this subject since it directly relates to our subject matter at hand. Perhaps, though, this specific doctrine warrants its own discussion? Either way, I would love to hear what you have to say, as always.Big%20smile

Now, onto the counils!

Allow me to first address the First of Constantinople. You seem to make emphasis, as many Orthodox do, of the fact that 1st Constantinople was not attended by Rome. You should also make not that no see in the entire West was present. Here I will allow the church historian Theodoret to more fully explain why:

"Upon this Gratian departed for Italy and despatched Theodosius to the countries committed to his charge. No sooner had Theodosius assumed the imperial dignity than before everything else he gave heed to the harmony of the churches, and ordered the bishops of his own realm to repair with haste to Constantinople. That division of the empire was now the only region infected with the Arian plague, for the west had escaped the taint." (Theodoret, Eccles. Hist. Bk. V Ch. VI)

As you see, and church history as our witness tells us, the second ecumenical council was not intended at all to be ecumenical and for quite some time could not obtain such a title.
It is true that Pope Damasus approved of the dogmatic decrees set forth but as for the canons, he did not. For when Theodosius writes to the churches explaining to them what had been done at the council must be observed by all he also explains to what bishops(regarded in high esteem) must communion be met, but he makes no reference to Western bishops. Are the Eastern clergy not to maintain communion with also the Western orthodox clergy? Of course, but as has been shown, the West laid not upon the mind of the Emperor for the council that had been done was not at all universalis. Moreover, the 3rd Ecumenical Council of Ephesus made no note to that of Constantinople, eventhough it spoke in high esteem for that of Nicea. Also, Ephesus II(Robber Synod) made no note of Constantinople as well; eventhough, again, it had spoken of the first two Ecumenical Councils of both Nicea and Ephesus. It seems that around Chalcedon it finally achieves the level of ecumenical, even then, not entirley.

Now, onto Chalcedon. First allow me to address your claims of the papl legates recognizing Constantinople as second in rank behind the apostolic see. Indeed, it would appear that the legate Paschasinus acknowledges, although in no formal way, Constantinoples ambitious pretensions. But this can easily be explained when we view First: The Patriarch of Alexandria Dioscurus and Juvenal of Jerusalem were in positions of ones accused. Second: In Antioch it was doubtful whether Maximus or Domnus was the legitimate bishop. 

In regards to the convocation of the synod, in which you find humorous that Leo's is responsible, allow me to expound.

-Ako quotes: "Thereafter, Pope Leo succeeded in getting both Emperors to call the Council of Chalcedon in 451."

By your laughter I take it you dont agree with the historical truism quoted above. However, in October of 449 Leo writes to Theodosius II that it should be business as usual(as if the Robber synod had never happened) until he(the Emperor) gave orders to hold an ecumenical council in Italy, just as Flavian had appealed. Leo also wrote to Pulcheria requesting her support with her brother. Also he writes to the clergy and laity of Constantinople to refuse all that had been done at Ephesus under Dioscurus. Around Christmas of the same year Leo writes again to Theodosius with much the same message- the formation of an ecumenical council in Italy- also accompanied by his stedfastness in the Nicene faith. Before Leo received any word from the Eastern Emperor the Western Emperor Valentinian III, accompanied by his wife Eudoxia(Daughter to Theodosius II) and his mother Galla Placida(Aunt of Theodosius),  came to Rome for the Festival of the holy Apostle Peter. During their time in Rome Leo earnestly asks them for their intercession with Theodosius. Upon request, not only Valentinian but also the two exalted ladies write to Theodosius and Pulcheria towards the end of the year 450. Around easter of 450 the Emperor responds to Leo with a refusal based on the "orthodoxy" and truthful actions of the previous synod. Around the same time Leo receives letters from the clergy and laity of Const. & one from Pulcheria. Constantinople tells Leo that they, for the most part, have held to orthodoxy and ask him for his support. Leo responds with a letter commending them on their faith and briefly expounds the orthodox doctrine of the person of Christ. Pulcheria had written, for the first time in a clear sense, of her acknowledgment of the errors of Eutyches. Leo returns mail in a style of commendation and renews his request of support even now in a more urgent manner.
Shortly thereafter Theodosius writes to Leo asking for his recognition of Anatolius as Bishop of Constantinople. This, to Leo's pleasure, gave occasion to the possibility of a ecumenical council. For Leo writes in response that he should have Anatolius subscribe orally and publicly to the orthodox faith. Also, Leo would send his legates to Constantinople to more fully expound the orthodox creed and should Anatolius accept this then this would accomplished; however, if there would be any who would disagree with the orthodox faith then this would be ample proof that a great synod should be assembled in Italy.
*NOTE*-It should be especially noted here that Leo himself sees that if all the bihops and clergy of the empire universal were subscribed to the orthodox faith(his Tome in particular) then there is no such need for the calling of council, more on this in a bit.

Theodosius was probably already dead before the papal legates had arrived in Constantinople. So his sister Pulcheria (off topic, but Ive always pictured in my mind Pulcheria to be a very pretty womanBig%20smile, eventhough to my knowledge there is no scholarship to attest this, a sort of pseudo-Theodora, if you willLOL") and not his daughter ascended to the throne. She chose Marcian as her man and Emperor. Thankfully, like Pulcheria, Marcian was a man who was wanting of orthodoxy and so around September of 450 he writes to Leo telling him that he is favourable to the suggestion of Leo to the holding of a synod.
Leo sent again 4 letters dated June 9th, 451 with 4 papal legates to Constantinople. The legates charge was to work in unison with Anatolius in the reception of those that agreed to those things taken place at Ephesus. One of the letters accompanied with the legates was to Marcian relating that he too wished for the synod but because of the dangers of the time, speaking specifically of Attila and his raiding Huns, did not allow those bishops that were most needed(Western) to attend in any abundance. However, as we presently see, Marcian on May 17th, 451 had already, before receiving Leo's letter, officially call for the synod which was to open on September 1st, 451. 

Nonetheless, let me share with you a laughLOLLOLLOL. For I never wish my words to be seen in a negative light. Having said that, I think I have expounded with success the orthodoxy of the statements made by "Some guy who doesnt know what hes talking about".

Historians have often wondered why Leo had felt later that a synod might not be neccesary. As has already been stated, during the life of Theodosius before the synod had been called Leo explained that had all bishops subscribed to the orthodox faith then there be no real need for the holding of a synod. And since the elevation of Marcian the ecclesiastical picture of the empire certainly developed more to the side of orthodoxy, with the help of Leo's letter that became circular. However, I tend to agree with Hefele when he sates:

"How easily misled, however, and how uncertain in doctrine, many Greek bishops were, the Robber Synod had more than sufficiently shown. the desire of the Pope, that the synod should be held in the West, that is, should be attended by many Latin bishops, was therefore quite legitimate, and dictated by his interest in orthodoxy."

Now, on to the 28th canon. Leo thoroughly rejected this canon and for many of the 5th century, also Greek copies, speak only of 27 canons. I will be honest, it surprises me your language of Leo in regard to historical reality:

"Anatolius was, to use the language of Scripture, humbling himself that he may be exalted; that is to say that he was abasing himself in order to maintain the unity of the Church, which was being threatened by Leo's arrogant, futile, and ultimately embarrasing attempts to destroy it"-Ako

Quite the contrary, for Leo makes note himself that in the preservation of unity had Anatolius himself ascended to Patriarch by his gentleness, and not his justice, and the favour of the Emperor. You may find Leo's letters on the New Advent site and I think, if you take an impartial gander, you will certainly come to the conclusion that unity and orthodoxy were, by far, that of Leo's main concerns. Really, the council itself acknowledges Leo as taking the foremost place as preserving the faith in his vigorous pursuits at unity.

Of course we both, I assume, are familiar with the actions held at Chalcedon and so I will mainly deal with its aftermath. Leo writes to Marcian and Pulcheria wishing to uphold the canons of Nicea and writes to Anatolius in response to the letter written to him by the Synod.

On Feb 15th, 453 Marican writes a letter expessing that Leo should not delay his confimation for all that had been done at Chalcedon, blatantly showing the weight of the Bishop of Rome in regards to the confirmation of Ecumenical synods for the adherence of the church universal. Of course long before this Leo had written to Anatolius affirming the conucil, but Anatolius had kept it silent precisely because of the Pope's speech that entailed the annulling of canon 28. Leo speaks of the matter thus:

What therefore our most clement Emperor deemed needful I have willingly complied with, by sending letters to all the brethren who were present at the Synod of Chalcedon, in which to show that I approved of what was resolved upon by our holy brethren about the Rule of Faith; on their account to wit, who in order to cloke their own treachery, pretend to consider invalid or doubtful such conciliar ordinances as are not ratified by my assent: albeit, after the return of the brethren whom I had sent in my stead, I dispatched a letter to the bishop of Constantinople; so that, if he had been minded to publish it, abundant proof might have been furnished thereby how gladly I approved of what the synod had passed concerning the Faith. But, because it contained such an answer as would have run counter to his self-seeking, he preferred my acceptance of the brethren's resolutions to remain unknown, lest at the same time my reply should become known on the absolute authority of the Nicene canons. Wherefore take heed, beloved, that you warn our most gracious prince by frequent reminders that he add his words to ours and order the letter of the Apostolic see to be sent round to the priests of each single province, that hereafter no enemy of the Truth may venture to excuse himself under cover of my silence. (Leo Ep. 114)

If this action, which threatened the unity of the church, does not clearly relate to you Anatolius' ambitions, then I must rest my case here.

Anatolius himself acknowledges that Leo has the duty of confirming the canons, when he writes to Leo(which we have already discussed), and Hefele makes note:

But the confirmation of it depended on the Pope(cum et sic gestorum vis omnis et conformatio auctoritati vestrae Beatitudinis fuerit reservata)

In the synodical letter to the Pope(Ep. Leo 98), which was most probably written by Anatolius himself, they write:

In order to show that we have done nothing from favour or dislike towards anyone, we have brought the whole contents of what we have done to thy knowledge, and have communicated it to thee for confirmation and assent." (Hefele, Hist. Coun.)

Rome did not consent to this canon in the Trullan synod, as you have asserted.

"The seventh oecumenical Council (787) readopted the 102 canons, and erroneously ascribed them to the sixth oecumenical Council.The Roman church never committed herself to these canons except as far as they agreed with ancient Latin usage" (Schaff, Hist. Chur. Vol. IV Ch. XI Sec. 114)

I'll leave my arguement about the Quinisext council here. However, if you'd like to speak more about the 7th Ecumenical council and the council of Trullo just let me know.

Please forgive me Ako, but for now I am pressed for time. As you may note, I havent touched upon the civil/ecclesiastical rank of a city. I hope to be back tomorrow to more fully post and explain. Indeed, there is more to be talked about regarding the 28th canon.

Always a pleasure Ako, I hope to hear from you soon. Hopefully I will be able to post again before you respond, but make no significant note of this. Fire at will! LOL

God bless brother,

arch.buff

Cheers

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 06:42

I assure you it is not. It is the principle of "territorial accomodation", and has always been an essential part of the nature of the Church. If I have led you to believe that this is a mere geographical principle -- through imprecise -- or even incorrect -- phrasing, I apologize. It rather has to do with the status of the city, which involves the accrued "dignity" in both secular and religious affairs.

Dear brother Ako,

Greetings In Christ!

I am, again, here to offer my small trickle of words into our ever expanding discussional pond.

So it seems to me, at the present, that I do not fully understand your position regarding the Roman church. As I have quoted above, you state,"which involves the accured 'dignity' in both secular and religious affairs". My question to you would be: What exactly do you mean by "religious affairs". And still, there must be another question I must ask of you that relates, not only to our present ecclesiastical discussion, but also those that loom upon the proverbial horizon. And so: If the ecclesiastical rank of a city is "ever changing" in the undivided church, then would it be, not only possible, but seen as a normal "changing of the times" for the Roman church to be last in rank? -theoretically- 

Now, the reason I have put stress on the undivided church is because, obviously, the Orthodox do not see Rome even in the church, let alone holder of its (theoretical)least place in rank.

I offer no arguement to your assertion of the church's territorial accomodation. What I, and Rome, do disagree with you on, assuming by all your prior words, is the undivided church's view of the Roman see. Again, I am eager to hear from you regarding my questions, but I can only assume that you view Rome's "preeminence" due solely to her being the capital of the Roman Empire. From numerous extant writings of the saints and fathers of the church, such a position is undoubtedly false.

Theodoret of Cyprus serves as a good exponent to how the church viewed the Roman see:

"If Paul, the herald of the truth, the trumpet of the Holy Ghost, hastened to the great Peter in order that he might carry from him the desired solution of difficulties to those at Antioch who were in doubt about living in conformity with the law, much more do we, men insignificant and small, hasten to your apostolic see in order to receive from you a cure for the wounds of the churches. For every reason it is fitting for you to hold the first place, inasmuch as your see is adorned with many privileges. Other cities are indeed adorned by their size, their beauty, and their population; and some which in these respects are lacking are made bright by certain spiritual boons. But on your city the great Provider has bestowed an abundance of good gifts. She is the largest, the most splendid, the most illustrious of the world, and overflows with the multitude of her inhabitants. Besides all this, she has achieved her present sovereignty, and has given her name to her subjects. She is moreover specially adorned by her faith, in due testimony whereof the divine Apostle exclaims your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. And if even after receiving the seeds of the message of salvation her boughs were straightway heavy with these admirable fruits, what words can fitly praise the piety now practised in her? In her keeping too are the tombs that give light to the souls of the faithful, those of our common fathers and teachers of the truth, Peter and Paul. This thrice blessed and divine pair arose in the region of sunrise, and spread their rays in all directions. Now from the region of sunset, where they willingly welcomed the setting of this life, they illuminate the world. They have rendered your see most glorious; this is the crown and completion of your good things; but in these days their God has adorned their throne by setting on it your holiness, emitting, as you do, the rays of orthodoxy. Of this I might give many proofs, but it is enough to mention the zeal which your holiness lately showed against the ill-famed Manichees, proving thereby your piety's earnest regard for divine things. Your recent writings, too, are enough to indicate your apostolic character. For we have met with what your holiness has written concerning the incarnation of our God and Saviour, and we have marvelled at the exactness of your expressions." (Theodoret to Leo, Letters, 113)

As you may see, Theodoret recognizes that which you may recognize, viz. her splendidness, illustriousness; basically her Orthodox interpreted "honor". For all of Rome's past administrative prestige, these words are directed. But he doesnt stop there, he also alludes to Rome's renowned faith, which St. Paul spoke highly of. And lastly he concludes with the most pronounced reason for Rome's recognition: the tombs of Peter and Paul and uses that analogy that all of us are so fond with- Peter and Paul, like the sun, rose in the East and set in the West. From there they illuminate the world and in the words of Theodoret "They have rendered your see most glorious".

I am sure you are familiar with the apostolica sedes. For of these, Rome is no doubt the most eminent. St. Irenaeus says at least this much, with his many laudatory words. Ive seen your rebuttal to the Catholic interpretation of the saints words and hope to offer my insight shortly.

Theodoret goes on to say:

"But I await the sentence of your apostolic see. I beseech and implore your holiness to succour me in my appeal to your fair and righteous tribunal. Bid me hasten to you, and prove to you that my teaching follows the footprints of the apostles. I have in my possession what I wrote twenty years ago; what I wrote eighteen, fifteen, twelve, years ago; against Arians and Eunomians, against Jews and pagans; against the magi in Persia; on divine Providence; on theology; and on the divine incarnation. By God's grace I have interpreted the writings of the apostles and the oracles of the prophets. From these it is not difficult to ascertain whether I have adhered to the right rule of faith, or have swerved from its straight course. Do not, I implore you, spurn my prayer; regard, I implore you, the insults piled after all my labours on my poor grey head.

Above all, I implore you to tell me whether I ought to put up with this unrighteous deposition or not; for I await your decision. If you bid me abide by the sentence of condemnation, I abide; and henceforth I will trouble no man, and will wait for the righteous tribunal of our God and Saviour. God is my witness, my lord, that I care not for honour and glory. I care only for the scandal that has been caused, in that many of the simpler folk, and especially those whom I have rescued from various heresies, cleaving to the authority of my judges and quite unable to understand the exact truth of the doctrine, will perhaps suppose me guilty of heresy."

He has appealed to the bishop of Rome because of accusations that have been brought against him. This, in the strictest sense of the word, is the norm of the day. When individuals are accused and need proving of orthodoxy, it is to Rome that they turn. And not just individuals, when schism arises, I mean real crisis, when real strife enters the church; it is Rome that is looked towards as the seal of orthodoxy. (I can see you now, smiling, just thinking of Honorius, Liberius, Vigilius. We may certainly talk of these later; surprisingly, I have much to say) For when Theodosius wishes to reach orthodoxy he points to communion with Pope Damasus and Peter of Alexandria. Notice how he points to both Rome and Alexandria, but only to Rome does he explain that he hopes communion can be met with the Romans, to which that faith that St. Peter preached and is now professed by Damasus.

In Constantinople III the conciliar fathers proffesed:

"The supreme prince of the apostles struggled with us; his emulator and the successor to his chair is on our side and has explained to us through a letter the mystery of the divine incarnation. The ancient city of Romehas brought forth a confession written by God and has caused day to dawn in the West for this dogma. It appeared in paper and ink, and Peter spoke through Agatho."

And although the council also speaks in high regard of the Emperor, this is to be expected,  it still serves to show that the charism of Peter is to found in the apostolic see. They do not bestow words of grand senate houses and what a great seat of power Rome once was(for at that time it was merely an ideal)

Really, I could give countless historical examples but I will rest here. I really do look forward to your reply and especially your answers to my questions(regarding your position). They would help out tremendously, as I hope this response was not written in vain.

God bless brother,

Cheers

arch.buff  

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 00:37
Hey arch.buff,

I'm afraid I won't be able to respond in any detail for around a month; life has been rather busy lately. I'll have time to moderate and post here and there, but unfortunately I fear I won't have the time to give the documents under discussion the credit they are due. Thus, paradoxically, the only thread I won't be able to participate in for the next month is the one I'm enjoying the most; every now and then it's nice to have a little salt rubbed in the wound, eh? LOL I'll try and get back with you soon. I have not addressed any arguments, below, for I fear I don't have the time to do them justice. That said, I have attempted to answer the question in your most recent post -- I didn't want to leave you hanging entirely. This is off the cuff -- really the first things that came to mind -- so don't hold me to it. Wink I'll look back over these around the end of June and expand on this if I feel it needs it. God bless, and read a book or two for me, if you would. Smile

1) Could Rome be reduced in rank in a reunited Church?
- I believe it is possible. After all, Constantinople was elevated above Alexandria and Antioch. Right now, the official position of the Church is that Rome is outside of the body of believers and consequently her bishop does not enjoy any primacy. That said, by precedent it would seem that the only body that has the authority to establish the rank of various patriarchal sees would be an Ecumenical Council. I'd imagine Moscow must be eager to revisit this matter. Wink

-Akolouthos
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 19:42

- I believe it is possible. After all, Constantinople was elevated above Alexandria and Antioch. Right now, the official position of the Church is that Rome is outside of the body of believers and consequently her bishop does not enjoy any primacy. That said, by precedent it would seem that the only body that has the authority to establish the rank of various patriarchal sees would be an Ecumenical Council. I'd imagine Moscow must be eager to revisit this matter. Wink

-Akolouthos

Hey Ako!

Thank you for your answer. As for Ecumenical Councils "establishing" ranks of patriarchal sees, this is something that definitely has shown itself through the progress of church history. Having said that, I do not believe Rome was ever ranked in and of itself. The Ecumenical councils, however, have recognized Rome; which is a word I believe fits better given the context of our discussion. 

"Let the ancient customs in Egypt, Libya and Pentapolis prevail, that the Bishop of Alexandria have jurisdiction in all these, since the like is customary for the Bishop of Rome also. Likewise in Antioch and the other provinces, let the Churches retain their privileges." (Coun. Nice Canon 6)

If we are to note every subetly, it immediately becomes recognizable that Rome here is never given any formal priviledges(although it is assumed), such as Antioch and Alexandria are. Rome is only used as that one example. "Let Alexandria", "let Antioch", are all foreign to the way Rome is approached. Furthermore, Rome here is never, formally, declared first see. But from the years 325 to 381, the next Ecumenical coucil(which wasnt even seen as such for quite some time) was held and in between this time, and also long before, we can already see that Rome is regarded as the most eminent. Now, you can argue why Rome was seen as most eminent, but it is certainly clear that no council set up Rome as the first see. As Pope St. Damasus notes:

"Likewise it is decreed: . . . We have considered that it ought to be announced that . . . the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by the conciliar decisions of other churches, but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior..."
(Decree of Damasus from the Roman council of 382 where he states the 73 canonical books that were to be accepted by the church)

Just a short reply to your answer. Hope to from you soon, but before this; take care of bitnez first!Cool

God bless,

arch.buff

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 23:14

-Akolouthos

Hey Ako!

Thank you for your answer. As for Ecumenical Councils "establishing" ranks of patriarchal sees, this is something that definitely has shown itself through the progress of church history. Having said that, I do not believe Rome was ever ranked in and of itself. The Ecumenical councils, however, have recognized Rome; which is a word I believe fits better given the context of our discussion. 

"Let the ancient customs in Egypt, Libya and Pentapolis prevail, that the Bishop of Alexandria have jurisdiction in all these, since the like is customary for the Bishop of Rome also. Likewise in Antioch and the other provinces, let the Churches retain their privileges." (Coun. Nice Canon 6)

If we are to note every subetly, it immediately becomes recognizable that Rome here is never given any formal priviledges(although it is assumed), such as Antioch and Alexandria are. Rome is only used as that one example. "Let Alexandria", "let Antioch", are all foreign to the way Rome is approached. Furthermore, Rome here is never, formally, declared first see. But from the years 325 to 381, the next Ecumenical coucil(which wasnt even seen as such for quite some time) was held and in between this time, and also long before, we can already see that Rome is regarded as the most eminent. Now, you can argue why Rome was seen as most eminent, but it is certainly clear that no council set up Rome as the first see. As Pope St. Damasus notes:

"Likewise it is decreed: . . . We have considered that it ought to be announced that . . . the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by the conciliar decisions of other churches, but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior..."
(Decree of Damasus from the Roman council of 382 where he states the 73 canonical books that were to be accepted by the church)

Just a short reply to your answer. Hope to from you soon, but before this; take care of bitnez first!Cool

God bless,

arch.buff

As to the 6th canon of Nicaea, the majority of canonical scholars usually agree that it recognizes rights and priviledges that were already being exercised by all of the Patriarchal sees -- in essence, it recognizes de jure what had already been true de facto. And yes, the major point of disagreement would be whether or not there is a significant difference as to the evolution of these priviledges. As for the Council of Constantinople (2nd Ecumenical), which is also deemed the Council of Saints, whether or not it was recognized as Ecumenical from the start is irrelevant to the current discussion -- the fact is that it is Ecumenical, and presents real problems for the Roman interpretation of the primacy. As for Damasus, I would expect him to hold that opinion, but it is certainly nothing more than the interpretation of one of the holy Fathers; in fact, that is precisely what we are discussing. Wink The essence of the dispute is not how Damasus viewed the situation, but what the Nicene Fathers felt they were doing when they enumerated the sees.

-Akolouthos
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 00:26

[/QUOTE]

As to the 6th canon of Nicaea, the majority of canonical scholars usually agree that it recognizes rights and priviledges that were already being exercised by all of the Patriarchal sees -- in essence, it recognizes de jure what had already been true de facto. And yes, the major point of disagreement would be whether or not there is a significant difference as to the evolution of these priviledges. As for the Council of Constantinople (2nd Ecumenical), which is also deemed the Council of Saints, whether or not it was recognized as Ecumenical from the start is irrelevant to the current discussion -- the fact is that it is Ecumenical, and presents real problems for the Roman interpretation of the primacy. As for Damasus, I would expect him to hold that opinion, but it is certainly nothing more than the interpretation of one of the holy Fathers; in fact, that is precisely what we are discussing. Wink The essence of the dispute is not how Damasus viewed the situation, but what the Nicene Fathers felt they were doing when they enumerated the sees.

-Akolouthos
[/QUOTE]

As to your last point, I completely agree! I would only add that we also observe the way in which they went about dealing with the sees. However, I must disagree with you in your assertion of the irrelevancy of the historical ecumenical character of Constantinople I and its relation to Rome as regards our discussion, as broad as it may be. Also, it would do us well to not belittle the words of Damasus especially in light of the time in which he spoke them. There had only been only one Ecumenical council that had been recognized by the church universal(highlight Const. I), and still this early on Damasus professes that it is not conciliar decisions that render the apostolic see first, but is due to divine institution. Really this belief stretches farther back still. Just one example

God bless,

arch.buff 
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 00:57

-Akolouthos

As to your last point, I completely agree! I would only add that we also observe the way in which they went about dealing with the sees. However, I must disagree with you in your assertion of the irrelevancy of the historical ecumenical character of Constantinople I and its relation to Rome as regards our discussion, as broad as it may be. Also, it would do us well to not belittle the words of Damasus especially in light of the time in which he spoke them. There had only been only one Ecumenical council that had been recognized by the church universal(highlight Const. I), and still this early on Damasus professes that it is not conciliar decisions that render the apostolic see first, but is due to divine institution. Really this belief stretches farther back still. Just one example

God bless,

arch.buff 

It stretches back farther still in the West, but it was also a matter of great disputte, as we have discussed.

And I think you may have misinterpreted my earlier post -- or perhaps I did not make myself clear (not the first time LOL). I did not mean to insinuate that the recognition of Constantinople as Ecumenical was irrelevant to Damasus' statement -- indeed, we must view Damasus' statement in the context of his beliefs about the Council. However, Damasus' opinion was not adopted by the Church universal -- although it was based on interpretations of the primacy by earlier popes, and ultimately prevailed among the Roman bishops and their subordinates. By stating that it is irrelevant to our discussion, I was simply safeguarding against any weakening of the canonical decrees of Constantinople, and reemphasizing that they must be interpreted within the consensus patrum. The fact is that Constantinople is Ecumenical, and this is held in the West as well as the East; thus, while we may interpret Damasus' remarks in the cultural and historical context in which they were delivered, we must also seek to discuss them within the modern ecclesiological context.

-Akolouthos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>