Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USA vs. USSR in 1945

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: Who would win?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [54.76%]
15 [35.71%]
4 [9.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
WolfHound View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WolfHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA vs. USSR in 1945
    Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 03:42
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I also want to add again. On these "mighty bombings"

It was already repeated several time in this thread that you can't win the war by bombings.

A good example is Vietnam which was hit with more bombes than were used during the whole WWII, yet American were unable to crush this tiny peice of land.

Now, look at the map and compare Vietnamese territory and the Soviet land mass. It says it all...

Well were the Vietnamese manufacturing their own weapons in Vietnam? I thought they got a lot of their weapons from China and Russia. Heavy bombings of Russian industry, would have decreased output of tanks. Thus leading a reduction in war materials. I'm sure the US would win but it also depends on when they would have invaded. The Russian winter is a huge obstacle for any armies trying to invade Russia.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 05:04
Originally posted by WolfHound

Well were the Vietnamese manufacturing their own weapons in Vietnam? I thought they got a lot of their weapons from China and Russia. Heavy bombings of Russian industry, would have decreased output of tanks. Thus leading a reduction in war materials. I'm sure the US would win but it also depends on when they would have invaded. The Russian winter is a huge obstacle for any armies trying to invade Russia.

It seems like you are not really familiar with history of invasion to Russia. Please go and check the thread "Did the Russian winter defeat Germany?"

Russian winter never had a DECISIVE role in the failure of the invasions.

You said you are sure?

Why are so you sure?

The USSR had a larger army, very well armed, with much more experience. Moreover, it had fanatic soldiers which were ready to fight till the end.

Were Americans ready to die? No.

Did they have experience that Russians had? No

Was there ever a precedent when a country was destroyed by bombings? No

Even Germany despite all the "devastating bombings" was increasing its military production year by year.

Despite massive bombings US wasn't unable to destroy the system of weapons supply in Vietnam.

Moreover. It's much easier to transport all the Russian reserves to Europe
than all the Americans reserves through the Atlantic ocean.

All the above factors make the American victory very unlikely.

You say, that you are sure, because you certaintly has a perseption of the Soviet army as an undisciplned grey horde, that won only because of their numbers.

And for sure, you think that American army defeated Germany in WWII.

Both of the above are false.

Soviet Army was perhaps the strongest land army which ever existed in history ever.

And American contribution to the defeat of Germany was very far from decisive.

I understand, that it would be very hard for you to accept this. But if you do more in debth research on this topic, you will understand that I'm right.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 16-Oct-2007 at 05:54
Σαυρομάτης
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by Tyranos

Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Justinian

^^ The US had many former german scientists like Einstein that fled Nazi germany; the US was arguably far ahead of all the other allied powers, including USSR, in regards to technology.  Nuclear technology especially.

Wrong. USSR for example got most of the Nazis rocket equpment as well as many scientists in the field. Why do you think USSR was able to become the first in the exploration of space?

I don't find that a deciding factor really, the Soviets had to reverse engineer Allied war planes( B-29 bombers)just to keep up, we couldve bombed Moscow and their Industrial zones into oblivion while launching a massive ground assault . The Soviets were also pretty badly beat up, they lost over 1 million men taking Berlin alone.

why do you refer with "we"?...and why is it thet most of americans(not all) vote for US despite the facts, at least say the reasons...

How would the bomber reach Moscow,Kursk and other industrialized cities unnoticed...i do not think the soviets would stand still,
The atomic bomb where dropped on a small island...and you comepare it with the Soviet Union...
The allias had difficulties only in doing the operation Overlord and breaking the Ghotic line, and while they fought 30 divisions the soviets fought 260
The germans ground to dust Coventry and other cities and did the british surrended? No

For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
WolfHound View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote WolfHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 20:49
Well that is true, the Soviet Army did a lot more than the American armies. It would still be tough to say who would win. 
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 19:38
I think this debate would be helped a lot if we were able to look at some numbers.  Population of opposing countries, size of current army, navy, airforce including numbers of tanks, aircraft etc.  Location of current armies and other military personnel.  Industrial capacity, war potential. 
I'll try and look these up later.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456