Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XVI - Thanks for Playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XVI - Thanks for Playing
    Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Knights

Regarding question 13; Victory referred to two things, one a lot more subtle than the other.
1) Victory, because it was the ship he had gained victory in
2) Victory, in reference to the ship's name "HMS Boadicea". The name Boadicea (Boudicca) actually means "victory".

I didn't know 'Boadicea' meant 'victory'. Did you get all this from the history books or from Patrick O'Brian Smile?

Jack Aubrey hardly died unfulfilled though.

Tongue Nah, I haven't read "The Mauritius Command" or any of his other books. I just have a general interest in Mauritian history...strangely. I got the information regarding the series of events from various internet websites. I didn't get it from a book, because the internet allows everyone to get the answer...a book doesn't (if you know what I mean...)

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 16:52
Thanks to all, I greatly enjoyed competing against the other members.  I look forward to the next total quiz.Thumbs%20Up
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 17:25
Great work everyone!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 06:28
Congratulations Justinian for joining the ranks of Total Quiz championsClap (quite a distinguished group if I don't say so myeselfWink). I also would like to extend my congratulations to all the competitors, particularly Dawn and gcle for third and second place respectively. Finally I would like to congratulate the moderaters: Northmen, Poirot and my old partner Knights who has recently moved up in the world, very well done guys- sorry I didn't give you much work this time round.

I am sorry I could not participate to anywhere near my usual extent due to varius irritating time consumers like school and a mountain of assignments that have built up while I was in europe. However don't get used to this, I shall return to the heart of the Total Quiz competition as soon as possible!

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 30-Jul-2007 at 06:33
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 16:40
Congratulations Justinian for the "convincing" victory and gcle for second place. Good job Dawn, starting late and climbing up the ranks do fast.
Quiz Mods, thank you for your efforts.
I tried to do my best, but I couldn't devote as much time as I would like this time. In any case, I've enjoyed playing. Smile

Edited by Neoptolemos - 30-Jul-2007 at 16:42
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 06:10
May I suggest making the announcement a *little* more than one day in advance next time?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 19:23
Thanks guys for running such a good quiz. I'm sorry I could not play as much as normal. Congrats. to Justinian for his first win. Nicely done.  gcle Congrats. on a well deserved 2nd. See you next time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123