Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Postpone Total Quiz?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should the next Total Quiz be postponed?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [50.00%]
4 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Postpone Total Quiz?
    Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 02:29
Recently, there has been a debate about whether the next Total Quiz should be postponed. 

The Total Quiz has been a long AE tradition that takes place once every three months, where a wonderful set of questions are fielded and answered by our distinguished and talented forum members, as well as by guests.

According to the TQ calendar, the next quiz should take place during the final week of July.  The timing of the next Total Quiz has raised arguments; some would like to postpone it, while others would like it to take place as usual.

Allow me to present arguments of both sides.

Those in favor of postponing argue that many forum members cannot concentrate their energies on TQ at this time of the year.  Some have demanding examinations to take, while others are away in vacation.  Therefore, the competitiveness of TQ will be diminished, and user turnout will be low.  Many forum members having exams or vacations are Total Quiz enthusiasts, and having Total Quiz at such a critical juncture presents a dilemma.  There seems little point in having TQ at a time when no one seems able to participate.

Those against postponing argue that the TQ schedule was put in place for an exact reason: to make sure that it would not be easily altered by random individual reasons.  It is an institution and therefore its rules should be respected.  Total Quiz turnout has always been cyclical, and if one misses TQ, he or she can always catch the next one.  There are also guests (non-forum members) who exclusively participate in the Total Quiz - postponing the TQ would confuse these guests and turn them off.

Now that both sides are presented, let us settle this argument in a civil and democratic way.  

Since the July Total Quiz was originally scheduled to start Wednesday next week, let us make Sunday night the deadline for voting!

Edited by poirot - 20-Jul-2007 at 02:45
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 02:43
I voted in favour of postponing the total quiz, but I'm not adamant about it. Both sides present a good case. Say, were we planning to ask for the memberships opinion on the matter, and see if there is much interest in participation? Because if a load of people say that they are up for it, I'll re-think my vote...
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 16:22
While I agree on the necessity for a set schedule for the TQ, there are at least two other things to consider planning that schedule.

To make it possible for as many people as possible to participate, I think it would be a good idea to make a shift in the schedule and exclude july and august for the obvious reasons we already know - vacations and exams.

It is very time consuming to author the questions for the Quiz, so out of respect for the authors, we should make a schedule where most people can participate.

The new schedule would then be the first week of these months:
september, december, march and june.

~ Northman 

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 16:30
I couldn't say anything... but June's the European exam time, if I am not overly mistaken.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 20:17
The only problem I have with those dates, are that none of them are in my holidays - all are during the school term. Yes it is selfish of me, so I can understand if they remain as they are Smile. I just probably shalln't be playing in many of them if school demands my attention. 
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:32
Four vs. Four.  What to do, what to do?   Shocked
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 08:54
Result 4-4, poll concluded.

Since there is no clear result in favor of either schedule, there is only one thing we can do in accordance with normal democratic rules - we keep the current schedule.

I must admit that I find the low number of total votes rather disappointing. I had expected the interest for the TQ to be greater.

Edited by Northman - 23-Jul-2007 at 08:56
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 09:05
I must admit that I find the low number of total votes rather disappointing. I had expected the interest for the TQ to be greater.

It seems to me that the general membership doesn't dare to participate in staff topics...
 Post Reply Post Reply