Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is power?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is power?
    Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 11:42

International Relations scholars have always tried to define this term.

To me,the best one comes from Hans Morgenthau-know as the father of the realist theory in international relations.

He argues that'' power is the ability to control the minds and actions of others''.

For you?

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:05

Actually, it depends on the context;

Power (pour); noun

1. The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.
  2. A specific capacity, faculty, or aptitude. Often used in the plural: her powers of concentration.
  3. Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might.
  4. The ability or official capacity to exercise control; authority.
  5. A person, group, or nation having great influence or control over others: the western powers.
  6. The might of a nation, political organization, or similar group.
  7. Forcefulness; effectiveness: a novel of unusual power.

1. The energy or motive force by which a physical system or machine is operated: turbines turned by steam power; a sailing ship driven by wind power.
  2. The capacity of a system or machine to operate: a vehicle that runs under its own power.
  3. Electrical or mechanical energy, especially as used to assist or replace human energy.
  4. Electricity supplied to a home, building, or community: a storm that cut off power to the whole region.
  5. Physics. The rate at which work is done, expressed as the amount of work per unit time and commonly measured in units such as the watt and horsepower.
  6. Electricity.
  7. The product of applied potential difference and current in a direct-current circuit.
  8. The product of the effective values of the voltage and current with the cosine of the phase angle between current and voltage in an alternating-current circuit.
  9. Mathematics.
  10. See exponent
  11. The number of elements in a finite set.
  12. Statistics. The probability of rejecting the null hypothesis where it is false.
  13. A measure of the magnification of an optical instrument, such as a microscope or telescope.
  14. powers Christianity. The sixth of the nine orders of angels in medieval angelology.
  15. Archaic. An armed force.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 21:27
To me,power is a means of influence and relations with whomever you come in contact with,such as you hold sway over their lives,or something like that.To me,power is something that cannot be wielded,but influenced.

In Honor
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 01:04

power is to be able to command, even if people hate you or love you, if they still have to obey you that is power....

But to me personally, I think power is self improvement, whether the person or the individual, recognizing flaws and getting the vut above the competition.

I also think true power is when no one else knows the poser you wield.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Voodoo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Voodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 03:09
Power is a respect... sometimes, power is a fear for easy people or nations...
Turks managed all world with history... Others watched Turks with a big confusion...
 Post Reply Post Reply