Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Richard Dawkin's remedy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard Dawkin's remedy...
    Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 05:55
I've been looking around at a lot of literary criticism about The god delusion after reading a fair bit of it, and I and many of the reviewers have come up with one little tick in his argument. It's not a tick in his argument against Theism - I think it's a good a well argued book which deserves its reputation. But many acedemics have argued that Richard Dawkins suffers from what is ultimatley a kind of Christian view of his ideology. He seems to come to the conclusion that by everyone being Atheist, the majority of world conflict will stop. I don't know about you guys, but I think that's rubbish. Humanity is ALWAYS going to fight over something, it's in out nature.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 09:19
South Park seems to have been way ahead of the literary establishment in this conclusion. Check out the episode where future society is based upon Dawkin's book.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 11:53
As long as there is and ideology, there will always be conflcit. One person will always rise with new ideas, and many will follow him. We are a tribal species, and if we were all Athiest, then there'd just be rules made one how to live that someone else will disagree with and start the cycle again. We are just violent animals.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 12:55
I'm actually reading the God Delusion right now and although i haven't finished it yet i dont find him concluding that all conflicts will cease to exist once religion is done away with.
Instead what would seem more accurate is that if all Abrahamic religions cease to exist then all the factions and various interpretations of those religions and variations of the various interpretations will stop arguing about who is right and who is wrong and who speaks for god and who doesn't and who is carrying out gods will and who is not and so on, then there would be no conflicts over religion.  Quite logical and obvious.

There will always be conflicts, wether over politics, territory, economy or jealousy or whatever.  Its more important that we evolve progressively in our ways of dealing with them. 

What i find is that Dawkins argues brilliantly the stupidity of religion, which without any actual proof, followers believe what is in fact (at least as far as the Abrahamic religions are concerned) the dated and primitive corrupted (and in some cases plagiarised) folk tales of a very self centred tribe from the ancient past in the Middle East.  All the three major religions and their variations evolve from them.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 13:43
If you want a better understanding of where Richard Dawkins is coming from you can check out his website www.richarddawkins.net particularly his articles and check out the forum there too.

here he is reading out his new preface to the paperback edition of the God Delusion

and asnwering questions after the reading

Id suggest for those interested to subscribe to the poster RationalResponse.  They post many videos from various atheists that are interesting.

Richard Dawkins on C-span Reading excerpts in the first part and asnwering questions (some silly ones from Jerry Falwell's Liberty "University") in the second part.

oh and heres something on a common christian excuse, not Dawkins but just as good LOL

Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 18:51
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great book! It's invaluble reading! It's just that there are many new emerging fundamentalist atheists who seem to think that if ALL religion and philosophical schools apart from Atheism ceased to practice then ALL conflict would stop. That, to me just seems ridiculous. I do like the book, but he does "rant" a little - we all understand the issue of religion (at least in this board) and some people seem to overstate the case a little. In fact, the professor of Mathematics at his university (Oxford or Cambridge, I think...) did in fact say just that.
Many Atheists seem to get rather high and mighty to anyone who is not an atheist- frankly, that's appalling. It doesn't matter what your ideology is, fundamentalism works both ways, and intolerant Atheists are in theory no better. I'm a Deist, so I see myself and others who have the same philosophy as being completely outside of the spectrum- it's just interesting from an outside perspective seeing the rational side giving irrational amounts of anger. Don't get me wrong - I fully support and respect many Atheist views and many Deistic principles are fundamentally Atheistic in nature, but I just think that the way that some Atheists go about displaying their philosophy is wrong.
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 19:26
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great book! It's invaluble reading! It's just that there are many new emerging fundamentalist atheists who seem to think that if ALL religion and philosophical schools apart from Atheism ceased to practice then ALL conflict would stop. That, to me just seems ridiculous.
I dont think there is a misunderstanding. Smile
I was just under the impression from your OP that you thought it was Richard Dawkins who believed that an end of religion would result in an end to any form of conflict.  That is an extreme position to hold, I agree some atheists might think that and it is rediculous if they do.

I do like the book, but he does "rant" a little - we all understand the issue of religion (at least in this board) and some people seem to overstate the case a little. In fact, the professor of Mathematics at his university (Oxford or Cambridge, I think...) did in fact say just that.
RD is a brilliant storyteller as well as a thinker, in his books he can go on a bit but i think its more in the meaning of telling than ranting.  Most of his "rants" are a result of the extremist accusations against him and i think its the process of having to explain the sillyness of the accusation or question that makes him go on a bit more than if he was asked a normal question.  If you view the vids where he is answering questions i posted then the questions that are asked by the fundamentalist Liberty University students are good examples, and his answers seem to me are not rantings as such but pwnage Wink
Some critics make the mistake that RD is as fundamentalist as those he opposes.  I wouldnt call it fundamental but he is just as enthusiastic in what he believes as those who he opposes.  The difference is however that he even admits himself that as a scientist if all the evidence supported creationism then even he would believe it, however those who oppose him would still believe what they believe even if all the evidence (as is the case) opposed them. 
That is fundamentalism and RD is not one of them.

Many Atheists seem to get rather high and mighty to anyone who is not an atheist- frankly, that's appalling. It doesn't matter what your ideology is, fundamentalism works both ways, and intolerant Atheists are in theory no better.
Definately agree.  I hate arrogance and if atheists show these traits then it is appaling.  However you have to also take into account who they are arguing against.  If against a religious person who doesnt wish to discuss the issue then it is appaling but most times you will find they are against extremely narrow minded religious folk who come up with the most rediculous and irrational arguments to support their so called faith.
I think some people consider some atheists to be fundamentalists because they themselves feel that religion is beyond criticism even if one disagrees mildly.  This is fundamentalism from theists not atheists.

I'm a Deist, so I see myself and others who have the same philosophy as being completely outside of the spectrum- it's just interesting from an outside perspective seeing the rational side giving irrational amounts of anger. Don't get me wrong - I fully support and respect many Atheist views and many Deistic principles are fundamentally Atheistic in nature, but I just think that the way that some Atheists go about displaying their philosophy is wrong.
I consider myself a deist too.  I can not get religion at all and ive even tried to before when i was younger but my independent mind wont agree.  Too many unfufilled questions and the more i looked into religion the less believed it. 
What exactly do you think is wrong about how some atheists go about things and what would you consider to be the right way?
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 21:26
According to nature mammals seem to live and reproduce in clusters. The higher primates the higher degree of social complexity and accountability seems to be required, since their perpetuation depends on well organized families, flocks and communities.

Growing out of the reptilian cages the mammals evolved into the more sensitive and sensible beings - until some a$oles learned how to turn off their basic instincts and re-develop a more reptilian (i.e. scruple-less) behavior. Still it seems that the human being is the only primate that have developed the ability of warfare, murder, rape, torture, bestiality, brutality, pillage and plunder - towards its own kind.

Thus it should be rather obvious - the human being was hardly born this way, from the very start. In that case we wouldn't exist today since nature seem to have rid itself of all other self-destructive species. Thankfully we're still here - still surviving the fall we once made; from the grace of the full-grown specie of a primate today labelled as "early mankind".

Today's supersonic shells of stealth-hammered steel resembles just another issue of the pre-historic reptile-format. That still doesn't prove that the concept of a Stealth killer-machine was here already during Eocene - but were used first by the "modern" man of the "atomic age"...

Only the most advanced technical knowledge and the sharpest mechanical skills of modern man - are ever recorded to have produced such ideas, projects and productions as the high-tec industry of today. To bad these skills occurs as humankind still is in a hangover from the most insensitive and anti-social period in history, as a culture of strife and war grew into the world - from the start of the "iron age" to the end of the middle ages.

We may ponder when and where men - and finally mankind - started falling out of the natural order, as in the social instincts of higher mammals and primates. When and what made the ancient men and women suddenly abandon the primary characteristics of unselfishly feeding and fostering their young, guarding their elder and always supplying their own kin' - indiscriminately?!

Edited by Boreasi - 15-Jul-2007 at 21:34
Be good or be gone.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 23:24
I read it. I also ordered the Atheist Manifesto.

I personally didnt like God Delusion. I read it a while back, i found it approaching religion like many other atheists do. The biggest problem with Atheism arguing against Christianity, i believe, is its self-centered.
Mughal e Azam
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 14:38
AyKurt, I know what you mean, and I also know what fundamentalism is. It's just that I've met many Atheists who are close friends of the family but use Richard Dawkin's book as a rallying point for their ricuolously aggresive Atheism. One of them even insulted one of my close friends- a moderate christian- at the table for no reason. If people want to speak seriously about their beliefs in open debate, that's great! But many Atheists just seem to snipe and insult religious people in an un-constructive way which doesn't help anyone. Accusations like "Religious people are all inherantly stupid" and "I don't talk to people who believe in fairy-tales" are appalling. Perhaps my fustration is clouding my judgement, but I just hate that kind of behaviour. I've highlighted the Atheist extremists in this thread not because I view them as more dangerous than religious people- far from it- I've put in it because I feel that they are ignored because relgious fundamentalism is obviously more dangerous.

Definately agree.  I hate arrogance and if atheists show these traits then it is appaling.  However you have to also take into account who they are arguing against.

Fine, if they are arguing against a religious fundamentalist, but frankly, if they are arguing against a moderate Christian or a member of a completely impartial philosophical school, then that's ridiculous.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 07:41
Funamentalists usually assumes they possess greater knowledge than others and as a result think themselves better than others, the root cause for ideolagy-based conflicts.

Atheists are no different. It has become a religion and one that shows a disturbingly large proportion (or it could be extremely vocal proportion) of fundamentalists that dismiss other's viewpoints to the point of causing conflict.

Edited by Eondt - 20-Jul-2007 at 07:43
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 12:46
The use of the word "fundamentalism" and its derrivatives in the general population is starting to grate on me. Fundamentalism is actually something to be proud of, it means sticking to the basic truth of one's beliefs. Please do not use it as a synonym for "extremist" as many people seem to do, including the world media.

In other news I have read dawkins book, and find it generally drivel. It lacks significant evidencial back-up for many of its claims, the logic is extremely poor, assumptions are made which are fundamentally flawed and the general tone of the book is offensive and arrogant. By Dawkins own logic one can prove that he does not exist, and that none of you do either. He is damaging his own cause.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 16:49
Originally posted by Earl Aster

I've been looking around at a lot of literary criticism about The god delusion after reading a fair bit of it, and I and many of the reviewers have come up with one little tick in his argument. It's not a tick in his argument against Theism - I think it's a good a well argued book which deserves its reputation. But many acedemics have argued that Richard Dawkins suffers from what is ultimatley a kind of Christian view of his ideology. He seems to come to the conclusion that by everyone being Atheist, the majority of world conflict will stop. I don't know about you guys, but I think that's rubbish. Humanity is ALWAYS going to fight over something, it's in out nature.

Somebody once said that 'atheism is a pointless creed'. It seems that Dawkins has tried to disprove that by offering a 'conflict free world' as part and parcel of atheism. Thus becoming from 'Dawkins the scientist' to 'Dawkins the prophet'. Some before him had offered peace in heaven, he seems to promise it on earth. Hey!, ..i would love that MR. Dawkins, but is that not at odd with your own nature based models of 'survival of the fittest' and 'competition'.
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by malizai_

Somebody once said that 'atheism is a pointless creed'. It seems that Dawkins has tried to disprove that by offering a 'conflict free world' as part and parcel of atheism. Thus becoming from 'Dawkins the scientist' to 'Dawkins the prophet'. Some before him had offered peace in heaven, he seems to promise it on earth. Hey!, ..i would love that MR. Dawkins, but is that not at odd with your own nature based models of 'survival of the fittest' and 'competition'.
The only problem with your analysis is that Dawkins has never said there would be a conflict free world with Atheism. 
Oh well there goes your Dawkins the Prophet theory.

There seems to be alot of empty generic criticism of Dawkins but not much actual criticism of his work and ideas. 
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 20:20
Originally posted by Zaitsev

and find it generally drivel. It lacks significant evidencial back-up for many of its claims, the logic is extremely poor, assumptions are made which are fundamentally flawed and the general tone of the book is offensive and arrogant. By Dawkins own logic one can prove that he does not exist, and that none of you do either. He is damaging his own cause.
You could just as well be describing the Bible there.
Out of interest, and i havent finished the God Delusion yet, could you give examples of where Dawkins lacks significant evidencial back up, where the logic is extremely poor, where he makes assumptions which are fundamentally flawed and of the offensive and arrogant tone of his book?

I ask because from what ive read, so far, i havent come across what you claim yet.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 05:40
Anyone that says a conflict free world could arise from atheism hasn't been to an atheist gathering! The internal politics as bad as any church and gets even worse when an old guard Marxist starts having a rant. I have nothing against Dawkins as a person, and like much of what he says, but his arguments keep repeating the same things over and over and that tendancy to rant does not endear him to me.

OK, fair enough the bible does too, but for someone who says they are opposed to dogma to yet continually uses dogma grates on the nerves. You would have to be a true believer of his point of view to listen for too long, He is an assassin "shock jock" in that he uses underdeveloped scientific arguments as a weapon, that is if he stuck to the subject rather in indulge in gratuitous comments that are designed get the obligatory round of applause or gasps of disapproval from his captive audience.
elenos
YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 14:43
Anyone who says a world based on atheism would be conflict free is nuts! Religion gave us the Crusades, Conquistadors and Islamic conquests. Atheism gave us Stalinist Russia and Hitler.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 21:29
We need a third way, a way of showing respect for the world as a whole that goes beyond boundaries. A way where we can draw our social and moral lessons from the wonders, facts and observations of nature rather than be forever tied the false opinions of those who got it wrong. 
elenos
YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 04:42
Exactly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 11:37
Originally posted by YohjiArmstrong

Anyone who says a world based on atheism would be conflict free is nuts! Religion gave us the Crusades, Conquistadors and Islamic conquests. Atheism gave us Stalinist Russia and Hitler.

I agree that it's idiotic to expect that a world without religion would be conflict free (it would probably be a bit better though, one cause of misery less), but I fail to see how atheism caused Hitler, who was a Christian, banned atheist and freethought organization while SS uniforms had "for the will of god" written on them.

And Stalin was caused by communism, not atheism.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 28-Jul-2007 at 11:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>