Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Population of India before 300 BC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Josip View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Josip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Population of India before 300 BC
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 18:48
Are there any records or estimates of the population of India, earlier than Maurya empire (1000 BC, 2000 BC and 3000 BC)? "India" would include what is today India and Pakistan, of course.

I am trying to find out how huge an army India (put together) could field at those times, upon a mobilization. So, not just a standing army. It says that in Kurukshetra battle one side had 1,530,900 troops and the other 2,405,700. How accurate are these? It's well known that some historians used to exaggerate, but I actually think it was quite possible to field an army like this one for a single battle (no need to for extensive logistical supports over the course of many months of years). 
The scent of flowers does not travel against the wind but the odour of good people travels even against the wind; a good man pervades every place. The perfume of virtue is unsurpassed.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 21:45
I believe there is a thread on this topic in Military History.  Do a search, it might be worth the effort.Smile 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Josip View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Josip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 11:27
Can you provide me with a link?

I think I ran across some similiar thread but it wasnt exactly what i needed. There was also a nice thread about the military strenght but it was all about 300BC onwards. No estimates before that.
The scent of flowers does not travel against the wind but the odour of good people travels even against the wind; a good man pervades every place. The perfume of virtue is unsurpassed.
 Post Reply Post Reply