Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Vladimir I of Kiev chose Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Vladimir I of Kiev chose Islam?
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 05:36
The year 988 represents a very important date in the history of the Eastern Slavs, as it  marks the beginning of a process, called chritianization of The Kievan Rus.

The Kievan Rus leader at that time Vladimir I. Prior to 988, he sent his best advisors to several places, where different faiths are practices. Their task was to get information and find the best faith that fits the Kievan people.

The rituals of Catholic faith was found to be very boring. It was not easy for outsiders to massconvert to Judaism. As for Islam, altough the advisors of Vladimir I liked its interpration of the world, and collectivist way of living, evaluated it negatively as Islam stricly prohibited the consumption of alcohol. Therefore The Orthodox branch of Christianity, with its astonishing church-Aiga Sofia led to the advisor to the belief that it was the faith that fit their people best.

My question with regards to historical amusement is that what if The Kievan Rus chose Islam and all the Eastern Slavs-Russians, Ukrainians..etc were muslims today? how would it shape the course of history? Would it lead to a less conflictual history in Eurasia?

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:36
We would probably have a Kyaba Emirate first and then Mushkaf Sultanat. Smile

In fact, some of Vladimir's envoys are believed to convert to Islam in Bokhara.

However I don't think it would make European history more conflicting. Perhaps it would ever trigger smth like the Great European Crusade against "Russian Saracens" or smth. like that.
Σαυρομάτης
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 23:18
Therefore The Orthodox branch of Christianity, with its astonishing church-Aiga Sofia led to the advisor to the belief that it was the faith that fit their people best.

No, actually the reason was that the catholics were very meticoulus with the formal processes of the ceremonies etc.etc (boring indeed), but the orthodoxy was closer (according to the Rus responsibles of this selection)  to their people's temperament.The first contact that the Russian had with those 4 religions were the merchants(Khazars,Byzantines, Arabs and westerners). Don't think that Vladimir knew in detail the caesaropapism , or the cruelty  were  the Byzantine citizens were suffering.  Of course  in his eyes and ears (according to  the byzantine envoyes saids probably), the Orthodox faith seemed ideal. The russian cities and the kingdom of Kyiev had lived their most prosperous days (materially and intelectually)after their convertion to orthodoxy. It is characteristic that the Prince of Kyiev became one of the most educated people/monarchs in Europe , speaking Greek and Latin perfectly when the king of England put his signature whith his thumb.

As we know the succesion system in Kiev's Kingdom could create plots and aggressions between the royal members. Ac civil war was avoided when Boris and Gleb had chosen their death in order to prevent the death of thousands, when their brother Svyatopolk threatened their lives so that he could succed the throne. Both were assasinated. They are considered as saints, because indirectly, they acted with a truly christianic way. This act was commented as a nonsense by the byzantine bishop of Kiev... obviously used to the byzantine cruelty and plotting...
I don't want to be harsh but if they were devoted to the mosaic law for example , can you imagine what could have happened? I'm not sure about islam but as we know the islamic leaders were not the most peaceful men on the planet (well , of course nor the christian). The point is that due to the great distance from Constantinople , the Kiev citizens considered orthodoxy as something ideal,and they reformed their way of lives in what we call proto-christianic society. It seemed that they really caught the "meaning"... Of course the Byzantine bishop of Kiev had a really difficult intellectual work to do, and usually those bishops were equally important , as personalities , to the patriarch.

Of course the choose of the kingdom's religion was a geopolitical subject, not only based in the excessive and ideal narration of the "glory-land"

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 05:22
Crusades to the north would have been far more popular....
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 02:27
I think his alcohol loving subjects would have rebelled and that's the end of his line and Islam as a state religion.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 08:55
are you assuming that the Russian/Slavic populace were already alcoholics? Stern%20Smile
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 09:05
I am not sure at past but I think, their life would be longer now, If they choose islam..LOL (If I am not wrong, Alchol consumption is decreasing life expectation of russians.)

But hell, closing beauty of slav women would be a big sacrifice.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 11:31
I'm pretty sure that in case they would like to protect their selves from  the freezing cold winter of Russia, they would eat pork as well, so...

Edited by Athanasios - 10-Sep-2007 at 11:32

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 22:03
Originally posted by mamikon

are you assuming that the Russian/Slavic populace were already alcoholics? Stern%20Smile
Loving alcohol is not the same as being an alcoholic.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 03:09
I'm pretty sure that in case they would like to protect their selves from  the freezing cold winter of Russia, they would eat pork as well, so...

Why? Its not as if Tatars do.

I think the only difference it would make is that Russia would be Catholic. The Khazars were Jewish and it didn't make the whole of Eastern Europe jewish, so if Kiev was muslim I don't think it'd make eastern europe muslim either.
Since the Golden Horde, Crimeans & Kazan Tatars were all muslim, I don't think one extra muslim group in the region would have changed that. However it would mean Novgorod may have less influence from and contact with the Orthodox church, meaning they would be more likely to be Christianised by the Baltic states a few hundred years later. Resulting in Novgorod, and Moscovy being Catholic.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 13:56
Yes, this is a likely version of what would have happened if the Rus were islamized by Golden Horde or Tatars but us we know the choose of Orthodoxy was a decision of policy, connected with geopolitics, so it has its results in the next centuries which were obvious and connected mainly to the Russo - Byzantine relationship (especially after the fall of Constantinople and the heritage of "third Rome") .This choose, the adoption of Orthodox faith, had its special gravity into diplomacy until 19th century and the early 20th during the balkan wars or the revolutionary wars of the balkan states against Ottoman empire . At least relegion was used by Russians as "pretext" to invade the Ottomans or change the status quo , in favor of the Balkan Orthodox people (Kioutsouk - Kainartzi treaty). So , history would be different -at least- in balkan provinces as we know it today, don't you think?

Edited by Athanasios - 14-Sep-2007 at 13:57

Post Reply Post Reply