Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are the best armies ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
ronin2k5 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ronin2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the best armies ever?
    Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 23:14
19th century : Replace Prussians with Napoleon's troops, it only took him 2 major battles with the Prussians and they surrendered.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 05:15
Replace the Gustavus Swedes with Gustavus Finns
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 07:21
Originally posted by warhead

"

"The samurai who "withstood the Mongol attack" in the 13th century dealt mainly with Chinese and Korean auxiliaries, who, with all due respect, weren't the most formidable troops of their day."

On infantry warfare they certain were.

They had only recently been conquered by the Mongols, so their morale and overall effectiveness was not particularly high.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by Mahti

Replace the Gustavus Swedes with Gustavus Finns

Moot point, since the Finns are (East-)Swedes anyway
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 14:28

"They had only recently been conquered by the Mongols, so their morale and overall effectiveness was not particularly high."

Thats obviously not the case when they defeated Kaidu. In fact what evidence do you have that their morale is low? There wasn't any concept of nationality back then and these soldiers are paid and would serve any master that gives them benefit. And many served them to the end fighting against the Ming. 

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 02:03

[/QUOTE]

C'mon pal, do you actually believe that the mongols had anything near 300 000 men?

[/QUOTE]

well the thing I read stated that they got most of their soldiers from their provinces

Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 16:50
Pre-conquest, the Inca army did some great work, conquering most of the western slope of South America in less than 100 years, mostly within about 50 years. They did this on foot, without the wheel or any animal better then the Llama, they were a cut above all of their adversaries.
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 06:43

"They had only recently been conquered by the Mongols, so their morale and overall effectiveness was not particularly high."

Thats obviously not the case when they defeated Kaidu. In fact what evidence do you have that their morale is low? There wasn't any concept of nationality back then and these soldiers are paid and would serve any master that gives them benefit. And many served them to the end fighting against the Ming. 

Warhead, you can argue against the obvious until you're blue in the face, but the hard fact is that the 13th century was not the best time for China or Korea, militarily speaking.  If you want to talk about times when they kicked some major butt, then go ahead, but don't carry on about this issue.

I can't speak specifically for the Chinese or Koreans, but there most certainly was a concept of nationality in Medieval times, at least among some groups (the Normans come to mind).  And in any case, I suspect that the Chinese and Koreans at least had some sort of cultural identity.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 14:01

Pardon me if I seem needlessly nationalistic, but I would like to mention Afonso de Albuquerque's troops.

Now I know Portugal would never be on the top ten list of nations with mighty armies, but Albuquerque managed to achieve a lot with so little. He conquered Hormuz, Goa, Malacca, and God knows what else, thus really establishing Portuguese dominance in the Indian ocean.

And what about the Persians during the antiquity? Yeah, they lost to the Greeks, but I'm sure that under Cyrus, things could have been different

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 15:00

"Warhead, you can argue against the obvious until you're blue in the face, but the hard fact is that the 13th century was not the best time for China or Korea, militarily speaking.  If you want to talk about times when they kicked some major butt, then go ahead, but don't carry on about this issue."

Please spare me your poor lecture, care to elaborate just what "FACT" I'm arguing against? There is nothing to argue against and its facts alone, if you've never read such accounts, then don't bother attempting to argue, since you are simply wrong. You can deny until you're red in the face but it would still not change the fact that these infantry were used to a successful degree that they defeated the old style of Mongol warfare based purely on cavalry.  Why shouldn't I carry on about this issue when you are the one thats misinformed? You are the one that should not carry on this issue.

"I can't speak specifically for the Chinese or Koreans, but there most certainly was a concept of nationality in Medieval times, at least among some groups (the Normans come to mind).  And in any case, I suspect that the Chinese and Koreans at least had some sort of cultural identity."

Id  suggest that you read Pamela Crossleys A Translucent Mirror: History and Identity in Qing Imperial Ideology  her point is to show how politically motivated the concept of "nation" are, and always have been. Her implications are that as opposed to the DNA trails and ' ethnic bloodline' ideas we tend to hold now, previous to modern nationalisms what is called 'race' today was determined by judgments of loyalty to a particular state.
Even the persuasive theory that locates the origin of what we today call ethnicity in the way individuals have been classified according to loyalty to a particular state is based, inevitably, given the general nature of the vast majority of the records from this area, on the stories of the kings and bureaucrats running these states. The common people, though, are for the most part left out of the histories, as we have only become a political force in very, very recent times. (Obviously this is a worldwide phenomenon and its not only ancient Chinese history that has failed to emphasize any role played by the masses.)

The fact is that there are no decrease in moral no matter what you want to think, and if you want to insist on it you're going to have to prove it through the primary documents or evidence in war which obviously does not show a decline in morale whatsoever.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 15:53

The Mongol myth is pathetic, no different from the myth of the third reich; only perhaps more exaggerated. Most medieval East asian medieval armies are comparable in efficiency, all belong to whats categorized as the "Eastern School" of warfare. Utilizing similar tactics, the armies of the steppe and cavalries of Northern China are essentially the same in organization, formation and dicipline with only slight difference in emphasizes. For example, Jin emphasize more on the heavy cavalry and place them in the front as the major striking power. While the Khitan Liao and Mongols emphasize light cavalry. Both use the decimal system of organization with same formations placing ten regiments into a division, with ten division making up an army. Attacks were carried out through a succession of controlled charges, each regiment advancing in turn before being replaced and withdrawn to rest. The attack is made by the 1st of the 10 squadrons, if it was successful then the other 9 would charge forward, but if it fail it was called to the back of the line to rest while the next squadron take its place. If necessary, it would be repeated for days until the enemy is exhausted. Then all 10 squadrons would charge with the heavy cavalry to break the enemy formation. Its the command that makes the difference. While the Mongols were able to defeat the Jin in Hu Pu Da Gang and Huan Er Zui, the early Jin under Wang Yan Aguda also defeated a much larger Liao army at huang long hill which used the same tactics as the mongols. The Jin also defeated the Naiman and Mongol forces repeatedly in the mid 12th century that their was a saying before Genghis rose to power, that the cavalry of Jin would shatter the army of the Khans like the leaves before the autumn wind. Its the commander, morale in different circumstances and chance just like 18th century European warfare that sets the armies different from each other.

While the Southern armies of Song, Dali, and Tibetans all have their own style of warfare that is just as efficient in countering these northern cavalries. The Tang and Song armies used the Zhang ma Dao and produced them in great quantity, used to cut down heavy cavalry and their armours in just one stroke, and the Song used the Sheng Bi nu and Han composite bow which outranged the Mongolian bows on horseback and could pierce their heavy armour.

the khitan and mongol tactics would have depended on the enemy remaining passive and waiting to be attacked; it was actually difficult to apply in practice. Certainly there were cases where Chinese opponents successfully took the initiative against them, one of which is at Dingxian in 945, a Khitan invasion was opposed by the Later Jin army under Fu Yanqing, who pinned the enemy by advancing in the centre with his main body of infantry, while concentrating 10,000 Shatuo [Turk] cavalry against one flank. The Khitan army was routed, and their emperor escaped in a cart pulled by camels. This proved not to be fast enough, and he transferred ignominiously to a riding camel. Many horses and weapons were captured by the Jin. Another example was Tang general Su Ding Fangs campaign in Altai against the Tujue, The Turkut chieftain Landulu led more than 10,000 men to surrender to the Tang army, and Dingfang treated them humanely. Shaboluo Kaghan, however, led more than 100,000 men of the Huluwu, Wunushibi and other tribes to resist the Tang. Dingfang attacked with more than 10,000 Uyghur and Han troops. Shaboluo Kaghan saw that the Tang forces were outnumbered 10 to 1, and eagerly surrounded them on all sides. Dingfang ordered his infantry to hold a gentle slope to the south of his position, formed up in a circle formation with long spears to defend against cavalry. He himself led the Han cavalry to form up on a slope to the north of the position. The Turkut first attacked the infantry, but could not break the formation after three charges, with both sides suffering quite a number of casualties. At this point Dingfang launched a sudden attack with his cavalry, while his infantry counterattacked in support. The Turkut army broke and fled, and was pursued for more than 30 li, with several tens of thousands killed.
More examples include The Tang general Li Si Qis deployment which numbered 60,000 plus 5,000 tujue auxiliars against the Xue Yang Tuo which numbered some 200,000. These tribes used the same tactic of arrow assault, while the Tang army suffered heavy casualty, they dismounted and charged at the center while the cavalry concentrated at the flanks with Tujue auxiliars returning the fire and crushed the Xue Yang Tuo. In the Tang, crossbowmen also carried the modao (a version of the zhanmadao) as a close-quarters weapon against cavalry, while in the Song dynasty large crossbows and pole-axes proved effective against heavy cavalry charges.
The more famous battle are those done by Song general Yue Fei. In his battle against Jin Wu Shu, he charged his infantry battalion with the Zhangmadao to cut down the Jin Guaizima, and also the powerful Shenbi Crossbow against the heavy cavalries to deadly affects which the jin emperor Wu Shu says he never suffered such defeats, and the saying goes "its easy to topple a mountain but hard to topple the Yue Jia army"

The Dali battle sword is similar and are all coated with poison to cut through the cavalries. Dali and Nan Zhao infantry are said to have inhumane discipline on all soldiers including conscripts, their metallurgy level is just as developed as the Song, and defeated the Mongols in the battle of nine dragon hills in their first invasion. Only fell to a much larger Mongol force of 100,000 under Kublai, and only because the most effective Dali forces were prevented from war by the dictator to take power, but too late to use.

Similarily the Tubo infantry have also defeated the Uighurs in the battle of Gao Cang by charging at them in formation and routing them with the strength of the Tubo armament in 792. Tibetan armour are well made and their metallurgy also reached a quite high level, while they are also experts in mountain warfare.

Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 17:37

Wow! Warhead, these are quite amazing battles.

Some of those battles remind me of the 300 Spartans.

My list (not in order yet) the Greeks, Romans, Spanish, Germans, and the Mongols are on my list so far.

I did buy a books about the Roman military, the book is called The Complete Roman army.

I bought this books last Sunday.

I think this book is cool because I skipped around a little bit to see whats in it, and I read a page that caught my eyes, it had a small list of some men that joined the Roman army.

These were simple free men, not generals or heroes of any sort, these men in their free will decided to join the military (this was an ancient record, a record dated in 10-15 February AD 103).

Copy C. Minucius Italus to Celsianu"

"Give instruction that the six recruits approved by me for the cohort under your command be entered on the records with effect from 19 February. I have appended their names and distinguishing-marks to this letter.

C. Veturius Gemellus age 21 no distinguishing marks

C. Longinus Priscus age 22 scar on left eyebrow

C. Julius Maximus age 25 no distinguishing marks

-. Julius Secundus age 20 no distinguishing marks

Well theres more names, but this is off subject so Im going to try keep it short.

This is translated into English (the names are not changed at all its original) there is the same letter in Latin of the same one in a different page (I look back in the book).

Although this is off subject, the point Im trying to make is that men with free will that join the army will be more affect force, then people that had bin forced to join.

Edited by Praetorian
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
the_ancient_lunatic View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote the_ancient_lunatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 18:05
The American military

............who ya gonna call.........?
...jag lskar mina svrd...
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 19:51
I'll add that on my list
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 22:09
how come warhead has so many details from his head. that's amazing!
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
redimus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote redimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 16:48

The Mongol myth is pathetic, no different from the myth of the third reich

?   What "myths" are you referring to? 

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 22:48
warhead, i think too that the mongols didnt developed new tactics; but the solution to the special rise of mongols is most simple and more complicated: the character of the Song Empire, a antimilitarist state suspicious to all military stament (without precedent in chinese history), with an army very inneficient. The crucial element was not the horse or other elements, was, i think, that the chinese from main chinese state didn't want fight; the doors of Asia was opened for mongols.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 23:07

"   What "myths" are you referring to?  "

The myth that their army is revolutionary and that Genghis Khan invented the decimal system and their cavalry's discipline and mobility is unmatched by any before world war 2, such BS are the mongol myths.

"i think too that the mongols didnt developed new tactics; but the solution to the special rise of mongols is most simple and more complicated: the character of the Song Empire, a antimilitarist state suspicious to all military stament (without precedent in chinese history), with an army very inneficient. The crucial element was not the horse or other elements, was, i think, that the chinese from main chinese state didn't want fight; the doors of Asia was opened for mongols."

The Mongol cavalry fought Jin not Song. Against Song they used Much Chinese conscripts to fight since the Northern Cavalry is not suitable for the southern terrain. 

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 12:23

warhead, you should look with a strategical perspective, not only tactic: the most greatest steppe empires, huns and turks (and then mongols at XV century), must fight with a chinese state that domain the north of China and a portion of the steppe. The Song empire first refused conquest the ancient frontier and the lands that gave horses to chinese armies, then the jurchens conquest north China with small opposition; and then they permited that the empire of all the oriental steppe take the north china, Song empire allied with mongols attacked to Jin empire!! So one nomad empire domain the lands of horse and the lands of infantry, by first time in history; others conquerors of north China like Topa Wei don't domain the entire oriental steppe and must fight with other nomads peoples or chinese states. Correct, now the nomads attack to Song with infantry, but this element shouldn't be crucial; the last and more important element, is that the Song empire killed to the very best generals of their armies!!

Thats is my arguments: we must not talk about the expansion of mongols, we must talk about the decline of chinese empire; mongols grew where the chinese didn't walk.

bye

Edited by Ikki
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 13:06

I may get flamed for this, but I don't think the japanese should be anywhere near such a list as this one. Perhaps the 13th century samurai, but the 16th and 17th century samurai were not very efficent. Only against each other.

Saying that a samurai was a superior warrior is like saying that a cowboy is a superior gunslinger. There were cowardly samurai, samurai who had little experience in the field (and those are the worst kind) and samurai who were to greedy. In common, they all shared one thing: arrogance. There were many weaknesses in the japanese army system, but as long as they fought each other (which they almost always did) who cared? Then Odo Nobunaga came along and conquered most of Japan, using new tactics. THEN Tokugawa Ieyasu decided to invade Korea with the empire that Odo had left for him. Guess what happened? A complete fiasco. Twice! Surely, the Japanese took the koreans by surrprise and they were by no means horrible fighters, but the koreans and chinese just proved superior. They beat the samurai back, twice. The second time with little effort. Even the samurai naval ships proved inferior to that of the Koreans (under the leadership of Admiral Yi).

The mongols won so many battles because they were warriors (as with the huns and other steppe people). They were more disciplined, lived by their bow and by their horse. They used them all the time, so of course they'd be more skilled at fighting than a chinese heavy cavalryman who'd practice twice a week. Real warriors were no pushovers, as has been proved many times, and steppe people were more often than not: Real warriors! Had it not been for Kamikaze, Japan would probably have been utterly crushed by the mongol cavalrymen (that'd make a good flick).

As for my opinion on the best army... Hmm... Well, as someone said, the Byzantines were left out from the original list. But in the middle ages, they employed a large number of mercenaries, and should these really be considered as part of the byzantine army? Well, no matter, I'm sure that their 100% byzantine infantry proved more efficent than any other infantry at that time, since they were descendants of the romans (who were quite nasty, as everyone knows).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>