Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hinduism invented in north india

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pathani View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pathani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hinduism invented in north india
    Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 01:44

everyone knows hinduism was invented in North india, my question is what was south india back then?

maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 05:11
It was invented in the northern indus valley(pakistan), not "north india". And the south Indians were pagans and animalists who worshipped nature as well as some statued gods like Shiva, Ganesh, Kali etc and their belief systems were merged with the paki form of hinduism(vedic hinduism) and eventually they ended up believing that their former god statues were actually different expressions of brahma, the universals life-force and godhead of vedic religion.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 09:15
Wasn't some of the Hindu holy books written also in what is today Afghanistan as well? 
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 10:01
The word "invented" sounds rather strange in this context. Ideas were shared and passed on up and down the subcontinent. Out of this interrelationship of people grew the system of viewing the world known as Hinduism
elenos
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 05:40
Your topic itself redundant and meaningless.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2011 at 03:39
lol i never realised how funny some of these early topics were , lol "invented"

anyways where are all these members??? there some really good topics here in this section 2-3 years back
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2011 at 10:44
Originally posted by balochii

lol i never realised how funny some of these early topics were , lol "invented"

anyways where are all these members??? there some really good topics here in this section 2-3 years back

I wish I knew.  I really hope that at least one of the Indian hindus would stay active to give his prespective on topics such as these. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2011 at 21:15
I suggest the admin emails long-inactive members to get them to come back. Since i joined we've grown considerably and have the potential for much interesting debate
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2011 at 10:02
I wouldn't limit it to subcontinent only. India is an interesting case when it comes to religions. There are plenty in India side by side. I am lost in what is hinduism vs buddism vs Krishna vs Indian Christianity and what not.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2011 at 10:31
Originally posted by Karalem

I am lost in what is hinduism vs buddism vs Krishna vs Indian Christianity and what not.

Indian Christianity simply refers to ethnic Indians who are Christians. To my knowledge Indian Christians practice the same variants of Christianity as Christians in other parts of the world.  There have not been large scale mixed religions such as voodoo. Indian Christians, however, are culturaly Indian and some keep caste references out of cultural habit.  

Originally posted by Karalem

I am lost in what is hinduism vs buddism
This is harder.  There are many different opinions on whether Buddha intended to start a new religion or whether he simply intended to reform many aspects of Hinduism. Today, Buddhists see their religion as completely seperate from Hinduism.  Some, or many Hindus, however, see Buddhism as a variant of Hinduism.

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Oct-2011 at 10:38
ancienttruth View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ancienttruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 01:20
The Dravidians came from Mesopotamia (Iraq (parts of Iran)) about nine thousand years ago. 

The Dravidians  established the Indus valley and Mohenjo daro civilisations...

They came through Afghanistan..to what is now Pakistan..they had a monotheistic faith..
which obviously changed over the thousands of years after...the original people of India..i.e. people who were there before the Dravidians arrived  -thE Africans,Mongoloids and Australoids,had different religions..
so yes Hinduism started out as a monotheistic faith in the North ,by the Dravidians.,whose civilisation was as old as Egpyt but heavily down played by the media...

Any suggestions as to how this misinformation can be corrected?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 01:26
It will be good if you post links for more info and tell us more about it!?!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 10:19
Originally posted by Nick1986

I suggest the admin emails long-inactive members to get them to come back. Since i joined we've grown considerably and have the potential for much interesting debate

Be careful what you wish for.  You'll note that many of the older posters in this section have been suspended.
This forum was my assigned territory when I first became a mod here.  You will find out that there are more flashpoints than a chinese fireworks factory.

BTW, I have emailed many former members over the last 2 years.  Some have shown up, others have gone elsewhere, some have stuck with .net.  There are others that I haven't contacted, they are the ones that would be easy to get back, but tough to get rid of.Wink 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 10:33
I understand. Nobody wants troublemakers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ancient Dravidian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ancient Dravidian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 13:13
Hinduism is not a religion. It is the Indian way of life. The truth is, almost everything in Hinduism is Dravidian. Only caste system and some gods of the Aryans were assimilated into Hinduism. The confusion is only there, because a foreign language Sanskrit is used widely in our culture. It's the same thing, that happened to Christianity. To the original Semites Latin is a foreign language, still Latin dominates today as the liturgical language of Christianity. Also many foreign pagan elements from Europe were assimiliated. Our Indian culture similarly remains 95% Dravidian.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2011 at 16:27
^ yeah i agree, aryan influence on proper india is very limited, India is still a Dravidian land, even dna testing clearly indicates this. heck we have some dravdian people in Baluchistan aswell, where I come from
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2012 at 06:00
the term "Hinduism" was invented by British in 19th century
Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 12:06
Hinduism 95% dravidian ......what a joke!!!!      Hinduism as understood today is mere brahmanism  a small branch of original faith which is responsible for many ills that crept in later in this great ancient religion. Neither Lord Shiva nor Lord Ganesha or even Kartikeya have any southern connection. All of them were north .More later....
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 09:43
Dravidian Origins doesn't mean Tamilian origins. durings pre-historic times Dravidians were spread all over Indian subcontinent.
Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 13:13
In general term Dravidians refer for people of southern states or say Ethopians ,they have a deep peninsular orign as proved by DNA studies  of Sanghmitra Mukherji and others some of them might have moved nothward but they adopted the dominant religion of Aryans In South Dravidians  were taught Hinduism by northern Brahmin group that migrated southward ,even today Aiyangar brahmins of Tamilnadu have as many as fourteen haplogroups types  that are unrelated to any other neighbouring population but find match in  Kalash people of pakistan indicating  a northern brahmin group in deed moved southward .Story of Rishi Agtasya narrates same theme

To summerise Hinduism was taught to Dravidians by Northwestern people rather vice versa..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>