Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean - Turkic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean - Turkic
    Posted: 25-Dec-2007 at 20:10
Originally posted by retaxis

Koreans, Manchurians, Northern Chinese and Japanese are known as the "superior asians" by some as they are genetically superior. Southern Chinese, vietnam/other SEA countries share similar DNA traits. Koreans however like to think of themselves of mongoloid decent to look cool or whatever.

Very funny.   

In regards to Chinese, try looking comparing overseas southern Chinese and Hong Kong Chinese to northern Chinese economically. The southerners are economically dominant over their northern bethren. The lion's share of "foreign" investment in China now is contributed by overseas Chinese, who are overwhelmingly southern Chinese with ancestry from Canton and Fujian provinces.

They are also intellectually dominant. Shiing-Shen Chern (Zhejiang, Chinese American), Shing-Tung Yau (Cantonese, Chinese American) , Terence Tao (Hong Kong,Cantonese,Chinese Australian/American) are the only three Chinese Fields Medalist. They are all southern Chinese, not to mention all trained in the West under WESTERN teachers.

The newer, less prestigious but no doubt equally august, Clay prize in math has four Asians, one Vietnamese (Bảo-Chu Ng), one Chinese (Terence Tao), and two Asian Indians, but no Koreans nor Japanese, yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Research_Award
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal

There's some overlap between the Fields and Clay awards. This overlap should inform one that they are equivalent in how they are handed out. (The Fields Medal is only awarded to those who did their dirty deeds while under 40 years of age.)

Japan has three Fields Medalists. But then again, Japan industrialized and has followed the West since 1858. Practically ALL Asian Nobel Laureates, Fields Medalists and whatnot were trained in the West. Compared to their Western counterparts, the Japanese win very few Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are "inferior", just that Japanese culture, i.e. confucian culture, has always been more concerned with regurgitation rather than innovation. Think of centuries, if not millenia of those uber competitive Confucian civil service exams carried out throughout all of confucianist Asia. Asians are good test takers, but mediocre innovators. )

On a different note, South Asian Indians (as opposed to SE Asians), match Chinese in such prestigious awards. Asian Indian Americans also dominate in the various uber prestigious computer science awards. (I don't have time to check the very modest list of Chinese and Japanese Nobel Laureates; regardless, I suspect all the Chinese ones are southern Chinese.)

FYI, Vietnam routinely beats S. Korea and Japan in those (irrelevant) math, physics, computer science olympiads. Oddly enough, Vietnam also routinely beats India at these too. China typically, but not always, beats Vietnam and everyone else in Asia simply because of China's super massive population advantage. Eastern Europeans are quite possibly the strongest at these competitions, however, their populations are generally too small for them to dominate.

Vietnam also typically beats every Western country in math, but for the US and Russia. That is Vietnam consistently loses to only three countries which are all both richer and more populous, namely China, Russia & the US!

I fully expect East Asia to continue lagging behind the West in those types of Earth-shattering intellectual discoveries which garners Nobels, Fields Medals, Turing Awards, Clay Awards, etc., for decades if not centuries to come. However, I also fully expect the southern Chinese to dominate over the northern Chinese, albeit perhaps only slightly in this respect. I also fully expect Vietnamese to do the same, when Vietnam becomes a rich first world country--in about 40-50 years. Meanwhile, overseas Vietnamese seem to be doing quite well. (Note: Overseas Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Asians Indians, Filipinos, etc., particularly in the West, are by and large economically elite immigrants, unlike the "boat people" who came from Vietnam.)

--------------------
Wow, as a Vietnamese, I had no idea I was so inferior to Koreans, Japanese and northern Chinese!      

Edited by TranHungDao - 25-Dec-2007 at 20:45
SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 21:39
Please note, Korean people are have diverse origins too, but because Korean formed at very earlier stage of human migration dating back to last major ice age, approx. 10,000 BC. Koreans have very old & unique genes. Korean people in terms of genetic is much older than Chinese, Mongolian and Japanese people.

The Peopling of Korea Revealed by Analyses of mt DNA and Y-Chromosomal Markers
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2615218&tool=pmcentrez

Today, modern Koreans have multiple ancient origins but remained one of most homogeneous people on earth, and I would say probably the most homogeneous people among other homogeneous people. This was possible because Korean kingdom was largely unknown or mysterious to foreigners other than Chinese, Mongolian, Japanese and few NE Asian tribes. Due to last dynastic ruler of Korean kingdom blocked foreigners entering Korea, Korea earned the name of hermit kingdom. Btw, Korea was only open its door to foreigners well after late 19th century.

Myth 1: Koreans are Mongolian or came from Mongolian tribes
Answer 1: Wrong, Koreans are one of the Mongoloids but not actually related to Mongolian.

Physical appearance of average Korean people reflects the geography of Korea hence there are many theories relating to founding legends of Korean people.

Myth 2: Koreans and Japanese are related
Answer 2: Not that related as originally thought, Koreans and Japanese shared some common physical traits which again only reflects the climate/geographic location.

If you read the scientific DNA research papers, Koreans and Japanese are most closest among other Asians if we use the mt-DNA analysis. But not so similar when using Y-chromosome analysis (Full analysis of comparison can be view from above scientific research paper link provided).

Myth 3: Koreans were came from ancient Chinese people
Answer 3: It depends how people want to trace back far, if Koreans came from ancient Chinese, then we might just call it all Asians are related each other hence modern humans have began from African continent. The answer is big 'No'.
Using mt-DNA analysis, Koreans have totally different patterns from Chinese mt-DNA, however Koreans do carried one prominent Y-chromosome that largely exist in Chinese people, however we can't just use one Y-chromosome marker as 'related' due to every Asians have this Y-chromosome marker.

Myth 4: Koreans are Tungusic people or related to Tungusic tribes
Answer 4: Not really, only 50% of Koreans show Tungus origin patterns. I would say Koreans have multi-tribal origins of NE Asian continent.

Misunderstandings:
1. Where the hell ancient Korean tribes immigrated from?

There are many theories what, where, how they originated. There isn't definite answer to this question as humans are constantly moving around. It is believed to be oldest human + relic remains in Korean peninsula dating back to 8000BC, which roughly translate 10,000 years of early human migration during ice age. When ice melted during last major ice age (around 11000BC~10000BC), tribes started immigrating to warming climate lands. I'm guessing this is where first ancient Korean appeared in Korean peninsula.

Here is what most Korean scholars believes where ancient people moved into Korean peninsula.

2. Korean language is related to Japanese or Chinese or what ever

Please note modern Korean language is different from ancient Korean language (Old Korean or Proto-Korean tribal language). Modern Korean language is largely owed to creation of Korean alphabet back in 1446AD and largely have not changed until today other than imported foreign words and phrases. Grammar, accent & dialects are kept largely unchanged since 15th century.

Also, modern Korean vocabulary use many Sino-Korean words (Chinese words pronounced in Korean), around 60% of words in Korean is Sino-Korean words but this has been decreased to around 40% due to other foreign words replaced the old words (mainly from English/European).

Korean language also have slang words, accents, dialects and native Korean words (some are still used or others are simply not used today, but still kept records of them).

There are some nationalistic approach movement in Korea to use 100% native Korean words in order to preserve them to next generations. By using native Korean words, Korean language will sound very different.

There are some theory of Mongolian and Japanese language could have influenced Korean language as Korean was once under Mongolian empire as many Mongolian princesses married Korean princes in order to kept Korea under Mongolian influence and during early 1900s (1908~45) Korea was under Japanese control, and during this time Japanese government have attempt to forcefully assimilate Korean people as Japanese people, hence Japanese government banned usage of Korean language even banned many Korean folk cultures. But it wasn't successful.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2009 at 22:29
Korean Genes 02b.

02b is shared by Koreans, Mongols, Manchurians, Ainu, Japanese, and Asian Turkish. ( All groups are Altaic tribal groups).
SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2010 at 19:46
This will explain why Koreans are Altay people.
A: Locations where gene samples was taken
B: Y-Hap C3 Groups
C: Y-Hap P/R/J Groups (Indo-Aryan gene)
D: SE Asian Y-Hap Groups (Commonly Chinese Yangtze origin)
E: Y-HAP O2b/O2b1 Groups (Commonly Korean origin)
F: Asian Gene Y-HAP "O" (Commonly Indian-India origin)

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2010 at 19:41
SNK:  In re your " Modern Korean language is largely owed to creation of Korean alphabet back in 1446AD and largely have not changed until today other than imported foreign words and phrases. Grammar, accent & dialects are kept largely unchanged since 15th century."

Pardon me, but when did the Korean aphabet come into general use in Korea? I am  under the impression that Koreans continued to use Chinese characters and Hanju for their writing up until the early 20th Century, and that the Korean aplhabet did not come into general use until the very late 19th century. And that, indeed, the first Korean alphabet printing type was manufactured in Japan and brought into Korea. As for the Japanese assimilationist policies, my information is that such began in 1937, after the Japanese coup that brought the hard liners to power, and resulted in the China War. You are telling me that I will be able to find a single book or paper published in Hangul in Korea for the period 1910-1936?  As for "imported words and phrases", my impression is that such are substantial. Many Korean I worked with told me that 70% of the words in Korean had chinese roots. (example: Il Tong (reunification) in Chinese is Dong-il in Korean. My credit "ka-da' was issued by my "oeng haeng" (bank) a word as immediately recognizable to any Chinese as"kaad" would be to a Bostonian.)

I was greatly impressed by Korea's literary and economic achievments during my time there, and I don't believe they have any need to overstate them. But for some perverse reason, many ultr-nationalists do just that.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2010 at 03:06
Originally posted by lirelou

SNK:  In re your " Modern Korean language is largely owed to creation of Korean alphabet back in 1446AD and largely have not changed until today other than imported foreign words and phrases. Grammar, accent & dialects are kept largely unchanged since 15th century."

Pardon me, but when did the Korean aphabet come into general use in Korea? I am  under the impression that Koreans continued to use Chinese characters and Hanju for their writing up until the early 20th Century, and that the Korean aplhabet did not come into general use until the very late 19th century. And that, indeed, the first Korean alphabet printing type was manufactured in Japan and brought into Korea. As for the Japanese assimilationist policies, my information is that such began in 1937, after the Japanese coup that brought the hard liners to power, and resulted in the China War. You are telling me that I will be able to find a single book or paper published in Hangul in Korea for the period 1910-1936?  As for "imported words and phrases", my impression is that such are substantial. Many Korean I worked with told me that 70% of the words in Korean had chinese roots. (example: Il Tong (reunification) in Chinese is Dong-il in Korean. My credit "ka-da' was issued by my "oeng haeng" (bank) a word as immediately recognizable to any Chinese as"kaad" would be to a Bostonian.)

I was greatly impressed by Korea's literary and economic achievments during my time there, and I don't believe they have any need to overstate them. But for some perverse reason, many ultr-nationalists do just that.

1. You're forgetting why Korean Hangeul (alphabet) was created at first place because using Hanja (Chinese characters) Koreans could not pronounce their native tongue and sounds. Creation of Hangeul corrected the Korean pronunciation and sounds, btw before hangeul, Koreans largely depended on their Idu script to pronounce Hanja characters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idu_script

2. During upon creation of Korean alphabet, there are many story & folk tale books were published in pure Korean alphabet, which were popular among commoners and women. But aristocrats and nobles still stuck to their Hanja learning and because it distinguish them from lower class people & commoners. Just that you don't know any Hangeul books published during 16~18th century.

3. As I said, it was nobles and aristocrats used more Hanja words than native words, commoners did not extensively used Hanja words. I think 70% of Hanja words is bit extreme and probably used at palace and courts more often than outside.

4. Please note there are no extract Korean native words for "unification"  or "bank", all these ideas were imported from ancient China hence they replaced with Hanja words.

I.e.
"Unification" - Tong-IL (통일) can be said in various native words such as "Hapcheu" "Bu-t-iyja"
"Bank" - Eun-heng (
은행) is totally imported word and there was no Korean native word for this.
Besides this there are thousands of other words which are not associated with imported Chinese words.
shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2013 at 13:09
I am ethnic Korean and my wife is Kazakh.  Her family has wide mix of heritage and we have been told that we look alike.  I recall President Nazerbayev stating that Kazakhs are descendants of Sakas, Huns, and Turks from one of the economic forums.

My wife and I speak English to each other but we did sort out some words that have similar meaning in both Korean and Kazakh which was surprising.  For example - circle, small, village, etc.  I did lurk on various forums and found that many words in Korea may have been borrowed during the Yuan reign while others thought these links were older.

I was also surprised to find out that many ancient kings were referred as Gan or Khan.  There are many kurgans in the former southern kingdom of Korea where my ancestors are from.  I saw kurgans in Kazakhstan and made me wonder why they had similar burial patterns.  My ancestor was one of the tribe leaders who seemed to have met in conference like kuraltai during the Shilla Kingdom.  His name was (according to wiki) 구례마(俱禮馬) or 구례마(仇禮馬)...in English it would sound like 'Gu Rae Ma'. BTW, if anyone has more info on what this name means, I would really appreciate it.

Given that some Korean royalty married princesses as far as India, I would not be surprised to find the link between Turks and Koreans in the distant past.  I also want to add that my cousins have last name Kong and they recognize that they are descendants of Confucius from China.  IMO, during turmoils of East Asian history, due to war, famine, etc would have allowed people to migrate and settle.  

As for my own view of Turks and Koreans, I literally see them as part of the family.

shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2013 at 14:03
I also wanted to add - I saw an article few years back where they found drawings of Goguryeo diplomats in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.  At first I was surprised and somewhat skeptical.  I found that there was an actual Korean TV documentary trying to figure out the details of who, what why, when, etc.  Apparently confederate of Turk nomads and Goguryeo stood against Tang Dynasty in time of need.

Here's a link : http://www.sutiben.com/link/connections-between-turks-goguryeo-tang-china-in-ancient-korean-war-history.html

shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2013 at 19:41
Piggy backing on SNK's post, I always wondered why Korea is called 대한민국 or 'Dae Han Min Gook' since Koreans are not referred as ethnic Hans.

It would only make sense if there was a time when Korea would have been referred as 'Han' in their own terms.  Here's what wiki says: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhan

'The Samhan period of Korean history (also Proto–Three Kingdoms Period) comprises confederacies of MahanJinhan, and Byeonhan in central and southern Korean peninsula, during the final century BCE and the early centuries CE. These confederacies were eventually absorbed into two of the Three Kingdoms of Korea by the 4th century CE. The Samhan period is generally considered a subdivision of the Three Kingdoms Period.

Sam (三) means "three", and Han is a Korean word meaning "great" or "leader" (cognate with "khan" used in inner Asia for leaders). Han was transliterated into Chinese characters 韓, 幹, or 刊, but is unrelated with the Han in Han Chinese and the Chinese kingdoms and dynasties also called Han (漢, 韓). Ma means south, Byeon means shining and Jin means east.[1] The names of these confederacies are reflected in the current name of South Korea,Daehan Minguk (literally, "Great Han People's Nation").'

To my understanding, Khan (also referred as 'Han or Gan' in Korean) is the term for a leader in Turkic tradition.  I suppose people in the past knew about this as a matter of fact since no one objected to naming modern Korea as such.  What do Koreans today think about this?  Sadly most were clueless when I asked.

shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2013 at 21:10
Here's an interesting information on the good ole Kim clan, the most populous last name in Korea, including the dictators in North Korea.

wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_(Korean_name)

"Kim, sometimes spelled Gim, is the most common family name in Korea. The name is common in both modern-day North Korea and South Korea along with the Korean diaspora. The hanja used for the name (金) means "gold", and although the character is usually pronounced 금 [kɯm] geum, it is pronounced 김 [kim] gim when used for the family name and names of some cities, e.g. Gimhae (김해, 金海) and Gimpo (김포, 金浦). The surname is also used in China (as Jin) along with Cambodia and Vietnam, although it is less common in Vietnam. In Japan some Koreans use the hanja read Kim either by itself or as a combination with another hanja, per Japanese rules. Often they are read Kane- in kun'yomi, (e.g. Kaneda, Kanemoto), but not every Japanese person who bears such name is of Korean descent."

"As with other Korean family names, the Kim clans are distinguished by the place from which they claim to originate. A very large number of distinct Kim clans exist, besides those listed here. The 2000 South Korean census listed 348 extant Kim lineages.[1]

Uiseong [edit]

The Uiseong (의성) Kim Clan traces its lineage back to the last prince of Silla, who later became a Monk. Some research[clarification needed] states that the Old Kims are descended from the Great Huns: north Asian people, including MongolsTurks and Koreans. Linguists say that old Koreans are derived from the Hun which were called "Xiongnu" by the Chinese.

Gimhae (Kimhae) [edit]

According to a story recorded only in the Samguk Yusa, in 48 CE, Princess Heo Hwang-oktravelled from a country called "Ayuda" to Korea, where she married King Suro of Geumgwan Gaya and gave birth to 10 children, thus starting the Kim dynasty of Geumgwan Gaya, the capital of which was in present-day Goryeong County. The country of Ayuda is often identified with Ayodhya in India.[2]

Famous ancient members of this clan, aside from the kings of Geumgwan Gaya, include the Silla general Kim Yu-shin. In the Unified Silla period, members of the Gimhae Kim family were admitted to all but the highest level of the Silla bone rank system.

This clan is by far the most populous of all Korean clans. The 2000 South Korean census found it to contain more than four million people.

Distribution of ancestral lines of the Kim surname. (1988)

Gyeongju [edit]

The Gyeongju Kims trace their descent from the ruling family of Silla. The founder of this clan is said to have been Kim Alji, an orphan adopted by King Talhae of Silla in the 1st century CE. Alji's seventh-generation descendant was the first member of the clan to take the throne, as King Michu of Silla in the year 262.

This clan is also extremely populous. In the South Korean census of 2000, more than 1.7 million citizens claimed to be Gyeongju Kims.

shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2013 at 01:20
Prior to meeting my wife, I thought Koreans were the only ones who discussed their family lineage in terms of 'bone rank system'.  Though my ancestor was one of the tribe leaders in Silla, my family tree never consisted of royal blood so I never paid too much attention to it. From wiki, I understand it to be in three categories - "sacred bone", or seonggol (성골, 聖骨), "true bone", or jingol (진골, 眞骨), and then the head ranks (두품, 頭品).  Also according to the wiki, it was hereditary caste system and it defined who you were in the aristocrat pecking order.

In Kazakhstan, I was informed that there are "white bone", or ak suiuk and "black bone", or kara suiuk.  Nobility was also determined by hereditary hierchy and white bones were the nobility and the black bones were the ordinary.  I am not sure if how much of this affects one in modern society, but my father in law did tell me that he knew the seven generations ahead of him as tradition dictated (he is a retired public school teacher).  My wife is Argyn, a part of the middle horde (juz) but I am not sure if this makes one either white or black bone since white bones are supposed to have lineage to the khan.  

Again, it is interesting at least to me that Koreans and Kazakhs share a bone rank system.  It would be interesting to know if other cultures in Asia identify their status with 'bone rank'?  
baydlag View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote baydlag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2013 at 03:03
See the Korean history. I don't think they are isolated. Some of Korean ancestors were making their kingdoms in the middle of Manchuria. Must be well connection between Xianpei and proto Manchus. Also they long term of war with Kitans, Mongols and Tang. Their culture adopted many things from China. Cultural elements must come with Chinese people too.
shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2013 at 11:38
Here's another fun fact about the mythology in the origin of kings in Korea.  They speak about kings harching from egg, from a chicken dragon egg also known as cockatrice or basilisk.  Also in Kazakhstan, they speak of a magical bird that lays its egg on top of poplar tree and they have made a tower in its capital to commemorate.  Both cultures see significance in egg and bird.  I have seen documentary where they super impose the Bayterek egg on the flag of Kazakhstan, the symbol of the sun. I would be interested in hearing about other Asian cultures where they place importance on bird/dragon and egg.  I have placed all three wiki references FYI.

1). From wiki: "Notably, a number of Korean kingdoms besides the six Gaya made foundation legends with ties to chickens and eggs. Jumong, the founding king of Goguryeo, is said to have been born from an egg laid by Lady Yuhwa of BuyeoBak Hyeokgeose, the first king of Saro-guk, or Silla, is said to have hatched from an egg discovered in a well; and Kim Alji, the progenitor of the Kim dynasty of Shilla, is said to have been discovered inGyerim Forest by Hogong in a golden box, where a rooster was crowing. Aspects of the legend have been mined for information about the customs of Gaya, of which little is known."

2)  In fact, according to this wiki, Silla it self may be a word that was derived from a chicken dragon.  From wiki "The name of either Silla or its capital Seora-beol was also widely used throughout Northeast Asia as the ethnonym for the people of Silla, appearing as Shiragi in the language of the Yamato Japanese and as Solgo or Solho in the language of the medieval Jurchens and their later descendants, the Manchus, respectively. In the modern Mongolian language,Korea and Koreans are still known as Солонгос Solongos, which seems to be an alteration of Silla influenced by the Mongolian word for "rainbow" (солонго solongo).

Silla was also referred to as Gyerim (鷄林, 계림), literally "chicken forest," a name that has its origins in the forest near the Silla capital where by legend the state's founder was hatched from the egg of a cockatrice (Kor.gyeryong, 雞龍, 계룡, literally "chicken-dragon").

3) Bayterek (Kazakh: Бәйтерек, Bäyterek, "tall poplar [tree]"), is a monument and observation tower in AstanaKazakhstan. A tourist attraction popular with foreign visitors and native Kazakhs alike, it is emblematic of the city, which became capital of the country in 1997.

The shape of Bayterek represents a poplar tree holding a golden egg. These come from a folktale of the tree of life, a central symbol inTurkic mythology, and Samruk the magical bird of happiness, said to have laid its egg between the branches of a poplar tree.

The 105m tall structure rises from a wide flat base within a raised plaza. It consists of a narrow cylindrical shaft, surrounded by white branch-like girders that flare out near the top, supporting a gold-mirrored 22m-diameter sphere. The base contains a ticket booth and exhibition space, with two lifts rising within the shaft to the observation deck within the 'egg'. Entrances to the monument are sunk below eye level, reached by stairs from the surrounding plaza.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123