Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why is Swiss Bank so successful?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is Swiss Bank so successful?
    Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 14:21
Why is Swiss Bank so successful. Yes, I know that Swiss bank don't have cool robotic security as shown in Da Vinci Code movie... but really, why is it so successful? Is it really because of privacy only, or are there are factors that make Swiss bank a popular choice?

Join us.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 04:46
Privacy mostly: If you put your money there, the tax-collector of your country will never find out. When you have a couple of million and live in a country that charges you up to 60%, it pays of to hide that money. Wink 

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 10:20
I think the neutrality helps too. The real banking boom in Switzerland came post WWII, and that was down to people realising how valuable that neutrality was during WWII. Secrecy laws just sealed the deal.
Arrrgh!!"
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Privacy mostly: If you put your money there, the tax-collector of your country will never find out. When you have a couple of million and live in a country that charges you up to 60%, it pays of to hide that money. Wink 

Aren't their some kind of policy to ensure that this does not happen? I mean, the other government will get mad at Swiss bank... I don't know if US is just going to watch the rich people to get away with taxiation by stuffing them in Swiss bank...

I heard that despite their secrecy, they have to reveal the information if the transfered money is questionable by the authorities to ensure that Swiss bank is not used for criminials... So, getting away with taxation is also a crime... no?

Join us.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 18:01

Privacy, all for privacy.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 12:52
Privacy, indeed. And also the fact that the people that want privacy the most are usually the ones that get more money.... by illegal or inmoral means: dictators, drug lords, gun merchants, exploiters of women, etc.
All that money could rest in peace in a swiss account without any throuble at all.

Pinguin

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 23:31
Perhaps because they are aliens? I don't mean that in an unkind way, but have you ever heard of the gnomes of Zurich? Rumor has it they live like Scrooge McDuck diving in and out of swimming pools filled with money!
elenos
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 16:39
Swiss banks made their fortunes during WW II when they became the depositories for the German loot that had been taken from Jews throughout Europe. Is there a time prior to WW II when the banks had become so "popular"? I don't think so. If the emergence of the dominance of the Swiss banking system is a post-WW II phenomenon, then it must be tied to Nazi gold. Hence all the privacy. 
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 19:46
They will never tell!
elenos
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 10:22
This whole Privacy thing is a rather silly myth.

Security, ease and profit.

Switzerland is an established banking centre, the Swiss Franc is an established and stable currency and Switzerland is a neutral country with a strong stable economy which is based on the successful banking.

This means that if you leave you money in a Swiss bank, regardless of the secrecy (which is generally not important to most people), its secure, its going to increase and the likelhood of that money disapearing altogether or decreasing in value is small.
 Post Reply Post Reply