Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Against Oblivion or the Denazification of the Mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Against Oblivion or the Denazification of the Mind
    Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 02:44
Occasioned by some Topics  here in our forum at the last time,
i like to work out some fundamental thoughts.

As one of the few members of our forum, who grew up in Germany, i will use my personal experiences for my argumentation.

But never the less, everyone else, born somewhere on this planet, should feel appointed to react.

Born in 1959, Germany was very busy. The reconstraction and the continuing cold-war needed all energy.
The Denazification was allready completed with the result, that there were only a few committers, some followers and much innocents.

The scholl wasn't a place of a true refurbishment. So i started to read, interviewing my dad, grandparents and other eye witnesess.

Listening to statements like that: We didn't notic all this cruels. The Fhrer hadn't knew obviouly everything which was done in his name.
The other nations weren't better at all.

A longsome proceding , that lasts till today. To talk and reflect about the own history might be painfull but is necessary, no doubt.

The person Hitler, was used in a more abstract way, for how could they all be taken in by this maniac.

A loughing stock hypnotized the masses, unbelivable.

Not so implausible.

If i read all this topics of the last time, i can notice trivilisation of the time, the doings and the persons.

Might be the authors are too young, the schools and their parents underplay or even don't know the meaning of this period of the european history.

There was a topic, called "what do yo think about interracial dating."
Folks, that couldn't  be serious? Or was it in the end ?

I have thought, with all my greeness, we have allready passed by this step of discussion.

Was Hitler a good commander ? another topic.
Pardon ? A man who founded an organisation that was responsible for the dead of millions.

I dont want to thin the threads like a ragging bull, i only want to appeal to your intellect.

And i would like to know your oppinions, so give your thoughts free rein.

Should we forget the past, or at least close this part of history overhaul ?
Are those, who still remind, anxious "objectionists" ?
What do you think ?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 02:59
We should never forget the past, we should never forget all the lives lost, however, we should also not rule out any discussions on the subject. I do not mean petty topics such as "was Hitler a good commander," but more insightful topics into understanding all the circumstances that led to WWII, and the Holocaust, shutting out completely such a topic, or becoming overly apologetic is not exactly beneficial either. I am not accusing you of it, however, I have lived in Germany as well, and I do find it odd that the entire school system is bent on blocking out 1939-1945. I understand that it is hard to deal with such events, and have your nation be involved in such events. However, such a stance seeps into the public as well, I remember two years ago when visiting my family in Munich, I was with my uncle as some school event for his kids, and we talked with a aquiantance of his, at some point during the conversation we paralleled into WWII, and he got uncomfortable with talking about it, and quicly jumped out of that whole era altogether. It is not denial, but blocking out, and that is not healthy.
"For those that do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it" is a very good qoute on this peculiar situation.

That's my two cents.

Now on such silly topics we have been belagured with, yes they should be banned, not without a proper post or two that hopefully will educate the purpotrators of them.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 00:22
We can interpret, we can argue, we can rationalize, but it was what it was.  It was pure evil in control of an entire people, government and it's resources.  Don't attempt to glorify or legitimize anything they did.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 00:37
Originally posted by red clay

We can interpret, we can argue, we can rationalize, but it was what it was.  It was pure evil in control of an entire people, government and it's resources.  Don't attempt to glorify or legitimize anything they did.

Exactly.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 04:14
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Should we forget the past, or at least close this part of history overhaul ?
Are those, who still remind, anxious "objectionists" ?
What do you think ?

If we don't forget the past it means that probably in the future question will rise about the Holocaust, about Hitler's bad habits, about racism, etc.
Can we compare Hitler with Genghis? Right now, that would be prepsterous. But 400 years in the future?
Anyway I think that it is better to let those who doubt that events like the Holocaust happened to express their doubts. It is a way to keep the people constantly in contact with recent history.
Think of this: even on this site, there wasn't a topic this year, or a continuation of a previous one, with the subject of the 6-th of June 1944.
ChickenShoes View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 10:35

One thing I have learned throughout reading and schooling is that Hitler was not the most violent anti-Semite, rather he just used it as a platform to unite other right-wing leagues, racist people, and to find a scapegoat to blame who was universally hated (Germany was practically the safest place in Europe for a Jew at that time. France witht the Dreyfus affair less than 100 years prior and Russia with its pogroms 20 years earlier seemed like much scarier places). There were much more violently racist people in Hitler's bureaucracy and Hitler just turned a blind eye to it and let his government run amok with it. I think a functionalist view is much more feasible than an intentionalist, not to say Hitler was a good man who didn't want Jews to be destroyed, he was terrible. I wanted to ask anybody else in this thread if they agreed that Nazi racial policy was not Hitler's brainchild, but rather a result of those under him being violently racist.

It is not enough that I succeed - everyone else must fail
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by ChickenShoes

I wanted to ask anybody else in this thread if they agreed that Nazi racial policy was not Hitler's brainchild, but rather a result of those under him being violently racist.

It was a product of state politics and military events on the Eastern front. Hitler was complicit, those under him were complicit, and they were all racist; but being racist doesn't necessarily lead to genocide and it may not have done so even under Nazism, without the real catalysts that transformed a racist, persecutorial system into a racist, homicidal system.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 22:08
Cezar wrote-

Think of this: even on this site, there wasn't a topic this year, or a continuation of a previous one, with the subject of the 6-th of June 1944.

There wasn't any mention of it on most of the News Channels either.  I couldn't believe it, what possibly is the single most important event of the 20th century was almost totally ignored.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 22:18
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by ChickenShoes

I wanted to ask anybody else in this thread if they agreed that Nazi racial policy was not Hitler's brainchild, but rather a result of those under him being violently racist.

It was a product of state politics and military events on the Eastern front. Hitler was complicit, those under him were complicit, and they were all racist; but being racist doesn't necessarily lead to genocide and it may not have done so even under Nazism, without the real catalysts that transformed a racist, persecutorial system into a racist, homicidal system.

Dazzel me on this one edge.Tongue How do you answer this and not come off as an apologist?

What were the "real catalysts"?

Unknown.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 22:56

Dazzel me on this one edge.How do you answer this and not come off as an apologist? What were the "real catalysts"?

Well, as for the apologist bit, I resent that. It's not an attempt to excuse anyone from their actions, which I thought I made clear. If they had not been Nazis they obviously would have found alternative solutions to genocide, right? If you find horrors that are the result of state and party politics and military events agreeable or excusable, I think you have an extraordinarily warped sense of morality. Are you saying that if the Holocaust were a product of German state politics - which obviously it was - you think it would then be just fine? Does it have to be couched in some supernatural aura of evil out of a comic book or Hollywood film before you can see it as a horror and abomination? The real horror is in the fact that Germans were not some subhuman species or a group of people affected by some strange drug, but normal human beings with all the faculties of reasoning that you and I have - and they permitted this. Dehumanizing them is just a way for us to feel more comfortable, at the expense of vigilance over ourselves.

Genocide was not a feature of the Nazi program until about 1942, after the Wannsee Conference, and it was a Nazi reaction to a certain set of circumstances. Other countries would not have responded to those circumstances in that way; the Nazi response was unique. The British had faced similar catalysts as a result of their camp systems in South Africa, for instance, yet they did not turn to extermination as a solution. I am sure, given human nature, there were some - even in high positions - who harboured sentiments in that direction, but the nature of British politics wouldn't have permitted such a development. German politics of the time did.

As for the catalyst itself, it was the acquisition of Jewish populations of Eastern Europe and the particular characteristics of those populations and the logistics of attempting to extend the ghetto and camp system to the east. This was a failure and resulted in an epidemic outbreak in the camps, which the Nazis responded to by simply exterminating the inmates. If the Germans never went east, or failed to achieve penetration beyond Poland, I'm not sure that the holocaust would have taken place - things probably would have continued on as they did prior to Wannsee, with Jews a heavily persecuted minority stripped off all rights and criminalized for being Jewish. But probably no gas chambers.

Edited by edgewaters - 25-Jun-2007 at 23:22
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 08:16
edgewaters wrote-

Well, as for the apologist bit, I resent that. It's not an attempt to excuse anyone from their actions, which I thought I made clear. If they had not been Nazis they obviously would have found alternative solutions to genocide, right? If you find horrors that are the result of state and party politics and military events agreeable or excusable, I think you have an extraordinarily warped sense of morality. Are you saying that if the Holocaust were a product of German state politics - which obviously it was - you think it would then be just fine?

Edge, I wasn't accusing you of anything, just pointing out it's not easy to intellectualize something so irrational.  You didn't dazzle me, but you did better than most.
I did not in fact say anything about the holocaust, I find no way to excuse or legitimize anything so horrible.  If you were around more and had seen my posts on any of this you would know my feelings.

My only disagreement is with the timelines.  The genocide started much earlier than the Wannsee conference.  Cyklon B was tested in late 1940, construction of Auschwitz began in early 1940.
Wannsee was set up to simply coordinate efforts and to make it as effective as possible.
Top Nazis were already calling for "the final solution" as early as 1939, genocide was on their agenda almost from the very beginning.  I don't believe movement into Eastern Europe was a catalyst, it just gave them someplace besides Germany to do it.

Edited by red clay - 26-Jun-2007 at 17:47
Unknown.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 16:53
someone explain the problem of German school text books and WW2. I've heard reference to denial or 'ignoring it' but not much else

more than anything, we talk about Hitler because he started the most incredible, and most documented war ever, one that surely will not be surpassed for an age (we hope)

personally it annoys me that many people who 'like' history know nothing pre-1914, but that is probably the fault of schools

i was reading this yesterday, excellent stuff
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 04:44

Cyklon B was tested inlate 1940, construction of Auschwitz began in early 1940.

Now this is error by omission.

Cyklon B was one in a long line of fumigation products - its original use was for the fumigation of train cars in massive gas chambers (remember, nobody had DDT yet - it was a miracle invention like penicillin when it came out). So it's not surprising it was around long before the death camps. Similar gasses were in existance long before that, in every industrialized nation, including Germany.

Auschwitz was repurposed. The original design didn't call for gas chambers. The gas chambers themselves were created by modifications to what had been the camp crematoria, and that didn't happen until much later:

Jewish Virtual Library

The Construction of Crematoria at Auschwitz

... The documents of the Building Office archive retrace the course in reverse, from the structure back to the decision, the thinking, the idea. These materials illuminate the possibilities the Germans considered and the options they chose, their ambition as well as its outcome. And they reveal the widespread and far-flung complicity of Germans in many walks of life. As we have said before, Auschwitz was neither a preordained tragedy nor a natural disaster. The SS leaders themselves did not anticipate in 1940 what they wrought in 1944. Yet, step by step, blueprint by blueprint, the architects, at the behest of their bosses, came to plan and execute the horror we call Auschwitz, and, as we have seen, they had a lot of help from bureaucrats, technocrats and businessmen.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/auconstruct.html

Top Nazis were already calling for "the final solution" as early as 1939, genocide was on their agenda almost from the very beginning.

First, that's vague rhetoric at best. Top British politicians (including Churchill) advocated genocide as a solution to various problems, too. They just never did it, because the state politics of Britain did not permit such a development. What made Nazis actually do it?

Second ... source please? According to my understanding, the term "Final Solution" was first coined by Eichmann at the Wannsee Conference.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:36
So the conclusion is to never trust Germans ever again and now even the Brits are a bit suss? Where does it began and where oh where does it all end? 
elenos
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:53
Originally posted by elenos

So the conclusion is to never trust Germans ever again and now even the Brits are a bit suss? Where does it began and where oh where does it all end?

No, that's exactly not the point. Germans are not uniquely prone to committing genocide any more than anyone else. They weren't even alone in the Holocaust; there were other participants in other countries who were just as enthusiastic. Some were even noted by concentration camp inmates as being much more enthusiastic (eg the Ustashi).

The conclusion is to never trust the state to such a degree as the Germans did, especially when the society is faced with crisis. We build safeguards into the state; if these are removed - as governments constantly strive for - anything can happen, as the state is an inhuman entity capable of inspiring us to inhuman acts.

Hitler didn't appear on the scene, sweaty and grinning with a crazy look in his eye. He appeared as the Bavarian gentleman to the public, a respectable (if controversial) politician in a nice suit who everyone agreed was charming. Even foreign politicians admired at him at first. People seem to expect the next Hitler that shows up will be a sweaty German madman with a pitchfork. He'll more likely be a respectable gentleman in a nice suit, a popular politician both at home and abroad, just like he was last time. In this age, he'll probably also be a master of television media, have a slick PR firm with catchy slogans and colourful billboards, and a strong Internet following and presence.

Edited by edgewaters - 27-Jun-2007 at 06:11
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:07
The German case is no different from Japan's case. Both States want to forget their destructive past and both States try to minimize the war in educational systems ( i am no so sure to what extent for Germany, people who have lived there or currently live there may verify this).In Japan they use anime cartoons in order to show the horror of the war! You cannot hide your past. You must live and learn from it, so you cannot do any mistakes in the future. But, forgetting it is one thing , getting preoccupied only with it is another. WWII was full with the emotion of revenge against the French and British by the German people. The Balkan Wars was full of hate against the Turkish "barbaric" occupation. The past was used to jusitfy present actions.

Therefore, do not forget the past, but also do not have in your mind a distorted past.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:53

It is debatable that under Hitler the German people had a state, the Nazis worked to destroy the mechanisms to favour a modern form of dictatorship. That they succeeded for a while shows just how close to the edge many modern democracies still are. That one personality should rule is still glamorised by the media for it makes it easier to write their grade four articles about how the world should be run.    

I hear but cannot agree that in Germany and Japan both states want to forget the past. The past has happened and now they want to get on with having a state just like everybody elses, where they can take pride in their past. There is more to learn about than the times when their government unfortunately got taken over by warmongers.

Love the lion Spartakus!

elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 10:09

If we talk abou German atrocities, then we must talk about the ones carried out by others as well. Genghis Khan. The Turks. The Brits and the Americans. The allies did not fight for freedom and they were just as guilty of genocide as the Nazis. In the Bengal on '43 and '44 there was a famine which killed 20 million people. Thats 3 times the number the Nazis killed in the Holocaust. This was occured since food was diverted away from India to Europe. In the Bengal villages were wiped out who had actually had a bumper crop, yet the right to life of people in Devonshire was more important than of those in Dacca (words to the effect of what Lord Wavell, Viceroy of India said, Wavell was against the diversion). The purpose of this example is not to demonize Britain or anyone else, but it is ridculous to expect only the Germans to be sorry for their crimes and conviniently forget others. Genocides have occured both before and after. The German or the Japanese should not singled out, or Jews, Roma, Poles, or Bengalis be singled out for special status as victims.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 12:13
Originally posted by elenos

It is debatable that under Hitler the German people had a state

EH? No it's not. A totalitarian state is just as much a state as any other. In fact, the state in a totalitarian society is much more powerful and much more involved in all aspects of life than a democratic state. All the organs of the state are more present in a totalitarian state - the military is larger, there are more police, the bureaucracy is larger, and state power over the citizens is much greater. Totalitarianism is, in fact, the ultimate expression of domestic state power.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 03:21

I stand by what I said. A totalitarian state is where many of mechanisms of good government have been disabled. Under international law to change the system of jurisprudence to suit individual interests is to nullify the legality of state rulings. Hitler introduced a code of laws that for instance made the killing of anyone that stood against the Nazi party as legal; there was no need for those who did to go to trial. Under such circumstances no other country could rightfully recognize the Nazi Party as a legal entity, therefore their state rulings were invalid.    

elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>