Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Albanian Dilema

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Albanian Dilema
    Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 08:39
This topic has entirely lost track. if there was some relevance in the beginning, now it's long gone.

Topic locked. If some are still interested to debate, please open a new, more specific, thread.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 08:32
Originally posted by exacaliber

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by ZEUS10

No my friend, he was the god of curse
nem(alb)=curse(eng)

I see someone is reading far too much Kollias, who note, wasn't a linguist but a lawyer, but do tell why on earth would she be connected to "curse" especially since there is no single account relating her to "curse" ?

THE  CAERLEON CURSE

During excavations of Caerleon's Amphitheatre in 1926 this strange lead tablet was discovered in the debris of the northern half of the arena. Approximately 10 cm square, it was pierced with two nail holes for attachment. The inscription reads:

DONNA NII
MIISIS DO TI
BI PALLIIVM
IIT GALLICVLAS
QVI TVLIT NON
REDIMAT  N**
***** SANGVINII
SVA

'Lady Nemesis, I give thee a cloak and a pair of boots; let him who took them not redeem them (unless) with his own blood.'

It seems that the writer is saying to the goddess Nemesis: 'I make you a present of the cloak and boots stolen from me and you can obtain them by seeing that the thief is killed in the arena, or let him redeem them by getting well wounded.'

The writer may not have known who stole his cloak and boots. Or maybe he does not have the courage to recover his own property, so he asks for the goddess to arrange for the death or injury of the thief in return for his (stolen) possessions - this salves his conscience. In either case, he has done his best!

Unfortunately we know nothing of the writer - presumably he was a gladiator or a soldier; nor do we know what fate befell the thief. As to how the tablet came to be there, it is thought that the rectangular enclosure just outside the main entrance to the amphitheatre contained a shrine to Nemesis - a fitting place to nail the curse!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
nm(alb)=give me back
take the Vengeance
Nema prapsh hakun -I come to you to take Vengeance

Edited by ZEUS10 - 23-Jul-2007 at 08:39
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 06:27
Originally posted by Anton

Yet two new factors emerged
because of the Slavonic invasion and the Ottoman conquest.
The introduction of Slavjanisms into Albanian should have started after the cessation
of rhotacism in the Southern Albanian dialect. The Slavonic loanwords are of various
chronological and geographical stratification. Slavonic borrowings of the Southern and
Middle Albanian dialects are of Bulgarian origin, whereas those of the Northern Albanian
dialect are of Serbian provenance. The influence of Russian was felt upon the written
language after the World War II, particularly through loan-translations.
The first Turkish loanwords date since the end of the 14th century, but the greatest
part of them penetrated into Albanian after the 17th century. Orientalisms were adopted
with the Oriental way of life, and their substitution was the main target of purist tendencies
connected with the Renaissance movement (second half of the 19th century). The status of
Orientalisms in Modern Albanian is very complex and rich with stylistic possibilities.During the last two centuries the Albanian vocabulary has been intensively enriched
through countless neologisms and borrowings. Two opposed trends have been marked out.
The first has been the purification of many Turkish, Greek, Slavonic, and Romance loanwords.
In contrast, Romance loan-words (modern Italian and French), and in recent times
English ones too, have inundated the written language, necessitated by the demands of
technology, science, culture, art, political and social life, and strongly favoured by television
and media. International words are present in Albanian in the same measure as in other
European languages.
The most comprehensive Albanian dictionary is Fjalor i gjuhs s sotme shqipe,
published by the Academy of Sciences in 1980.

Xhevat LLOSHI, Prof. Doctor of Linguistics

Were did you get this now?Big%20smile Is wrong,and whats more the translation into english seams to be corupted.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 06:23
Originally posted by Anton

So, how many villages and cities you have roughly?

Anton,villages are hundreds,( untill few years ago 70% of the albanian population lived in villages) And 36 major towns and cities.
For the topic i would like to add that there is a proportion of the villages who do have slavonic names,or at least they sound slavonic to me,but none of the major towns or cities have any slavonic names.Nobody has ever denied the fact that there are slavonic village names in albania,and there is no reason to deny it.Whats worng with that??????????But to try to prove any conection betwen the whole of albania with slavonic words and people because the names of few villages, now that is wrong.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 06:12
Originally posted by olvios

This the 1000th albanian nationalist sci-fi fantasy thread.Its  not getting old.It  is old.

And what kind of fantasy is the greek nationalism? lets not get in to deeper waters my friend.

Everyone has the right to put foward theories and ideas,are you expecting us to accept everything in history in the greek version?Then we would really be out of mind.The Topic has gone astray,it is about the Albanian villages which have slavonic names,and not about ancient greek language,which by the way has nothing to do with the fanatical defenders of that language today,of that be asured.It is a democratic right of every person to question anything he wants to,there is no need to call it sci-fi if you are not in the first place competent enough to bring it down,as is the case with OLVIOS.And is not Albanian sci-fi fantasy as you imply but this theories were first put foward by foreign scholars.So i would sugest that if you dont have a clue about albanian language or names of albanian towns dont get involved in this topic.

Me pune,me perpjekje.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 05:31
Originally posted by olvios

This the 1000th albanian nationalist sci-fi fantasy thread.Its  not getting old.It  is old.

What's the difference between Albanian and Greek nationalism?
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 03:23
http://www.hoplites.net/
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:37
And because Zeus10 even though you don't know ancient greek and dare to question some who know just because you read posts at Illyrian.com etc I found you the odyssomai word to see its read meaning...

It's all yours from Liddells and Scotts dictionary...

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3D%2372124

Odusseus, as hated by gods and men

ti nu hoi toson dusao

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:19

There is no albanian word "poreia"
Dont lie again

You completely fail to communicate. Did I ever say poreia is Albanian? I'm talking about Greek.

Οδός = road
Πορεία = course

Try babelfish and see if i'm lying or not...Clap

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:17

Dont lie again

You completely fail to communicate. Did I ever say poreia is Albanian? I'm talking about Greek.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:14

Flipper you dont know nothing about my language so arguing with me is just obstinacy,  stubbornness,tenacity from you.
See the following.

And you don't know nothing about Ancient Greek...That is why i don't take your post as serious. You're right about έχθρα meaning hostile but if you had an ancient Greek lexicon you would see that the word i mentioned is there.

Seriously, you're the 1000000000000 person who writes once more again the same things in this forum. Furthermore you have this tone not very much appreciated by this peacefull for the most community.

Some people here Zeus10 are archeologists, historians and linguists by proffession. You're none of that obviously. Neither am I. But at least I know ancient greek. I can't even spend time answering to you things that have direct translations.

exacaliber View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 10:48
Its simple logic to understand why some similarities exist since both languages belong to the indoeuropean family, but some of you attempted etymologies are indeed questionable if not totally rediculous.

Dhemitra---the god of the fertility of the land
Dhe(alb)-----land(eng)----earth
mitr {f} (definite form. mitra),------- 'The Womb of the Earth'

a) there is no "h" in the name, the "h" is added strictly for assisting  foreign readers that can't pronounce "delta" correctly.
b) since the name itself is traced to the
Pylos Tablet "Tn 316" the correct etymology according to Ventris and Chadwick would be:
deh-meh-ter (as seen in the tablet) = de-ai = barley and meh-ter = mother

artemis= art+ e(article of genitive)+mis(meat)
=art of hunting
mis( μύς)----mis(alb)----mish(alb)---meat(eng)
mύs(ancient greek)---mis(alb)---mish(alb)
ύ=i for ex (δύτης)
Art e mis-----art e mish-it(alb)---art of {hunt}meat

"μυς" has nothing to do with the name Artemis since that is written "Αρτεμις" with your "μυς" meaning muscle, mouse.
What is really a huge flaw in your theory is your use of "art"  not with its archaic meaning of manner, way, but with the word's "modern" one.
Either way, while the etymology is debated the comprehensive Liddle & Scott connects it to "αρταμος"= butcher, cook, killer

Athena (ancient Greek: Ἀθηνᾶ, Athēn, or Ἀθήνη, Athḗnē;)
goddess of wisdom, as philosophy
Athḗnē= a thene=its said(speech of philosophy)

Athena's name is directly connected to mythology.
Born from the head of Zeus, depending on the version of the myth, we find that since since her mother had been swallowed by Zeus she was raised by men either Triton, Pallas or Alalcomeneus .

Athena, A-Thena :
the privative 'a' and
thena = (θηνιων) meaning milk.

So her name actually means without mothers milk, either in an active or in passive sense not giving suck, or unsuckled, in her charter as the virgin goddess, or as springing from the head of Zeus.

Odyssey=ody+s+sey

ody=odhos(greek)=udh(alb)
s=negative prefixe in albanian
sey=she=see(eng)

Meaning

udh s'she(albanian)=

he does not see the road=he does not know the way

Again directly connected to the myth.
Derives from the verb Odyssao/Odyssomai = to be wroth against, hate.
rom the root od- also seen in the Latin Odium= hatred.
refering to the hatred of the Gods that made him wander and that is actually the whole plot of the Odyssey, nothing related to loosing his way, but being tormented by the Gods.

No my friend, he was the god of curse
nem(alb)=curse(eng)

I see someone is reading far too much Kollias, who note, wasn't a linguist but a lawyer, but do tell why on earth would she be connected to "curse" especially since there is no single account relating her to "curse" ?
She was literally the spirit of devine
retribution, so whomever commited υβρις was paid a visit by her and she unleashed the God's wrath upon them which resulted to their destruction, hence "νεμεσαω" = to be wroth against

Edited by exacaliber - 22-Jul-2007 at 10:53
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 10:26

oh really ?Wau, what a smart boy
you want to continue with that tone?

her {f} (def. form. heraplural her)-----albanian

her-------------------------quarterly(4 times a year)
her-------------------------repeatedly time
her-------------------------from time to time
her-------------------------time
her-------------------------once
her-------------------------times [math]
her-------------------------once daily
her-------------------------whenever

now compare with your site
pg 116, "The Transformation of Hera: A Study of Ritual, Hero, and the Goddess in the Iliad" By Joan V. O'Brien, Published 1993
Rowman & Littlefield

there is no comparison , you provide words, i provide sources that argue connections between words.

'here' means something in English as well, so you juvenile posts proves nothing but how infected, with myopic nationalism, your mind is. you need a book from a respected academic to make the connection back to Hera. until then you look very foolish to any reader with a bit (only a tiny bit) of common sense.

Edited by Leonidas - 22-Jul-2007 at 10:27
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 10:14
Originally posted by Leonidas

--------------------------------
now we have another hero, the ancient greek HERALOLLOL
btw even in albanian Hero=hero
means hie ra=fell honored in the battle
---------------------------------------------------

you find being educated by someone  much better informed  as something to laugh at, might explain the very silly connections you and others have tried, in vain, to do.

Spare us these long and tiresome posts. I hope you can bring some academic substance to these posts and no more of this misplaced arrogance. Pick some of your strongest words and lets test your theory, and lets see some real academic backed proof, none of this di = acorn, so di is Albanian, rubbish.  Its makes for a thread that everyone else would want to read and actually learn something.Stern%20Smile Deal?
Take this for a believable, backed up position poeple could trust as at least informed and maybe even correct. Since it amused you so much lets see if Flipper was wrong in saying what he did, so lets take 'Hera'.

"linear B tablets from Pylos and Thebes mention a goddess named Diwija, which is the feminine form for Zeus and should identify her as Zeus's original wife. Similarly, on etymological grounds , Hera's original husband should not be Zeus, but Hero. The supposition that Zeus' and Hera's union is a post-Mycenaean act of mythical integration would certainly go some way in explaining why the two were never to sit very comfortable together."
pg 105, "Ethnic identity in Greek antiquity" Jonathan Hall, Cambridge University Press 1998.
"Even without the evidence of Mycenaean Greek, one can establish Hera's Argolic link to seasonality from Homeric Greek. There, one can see a link between Hera, hero, Heracles and hora(season)."
 pg 116, "The Transformation of Hera: A Study of Ritual, Hero, and the Goddess in the Iliad" By Joan V. O'Brien, Published 1993
Rowman & Littlefield

oh really ?Wau, what a smart boy

her {f} (def. form. heraplural her)-----albanian

her-------------------------quarterly(4 times a year)
her-------------------------repeatedly time
her-------------------------from time to time
her-------------------------time
her-------------------------once
her-------------------------times [math]
her-------------------------once daily
her-------------------------whenever

now compare with your site
Rowman & Littlefield

Edited by ZEUS10 - 22-Jul-2007 at 10:16
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 09:56

--------------------------------
now we have another hero, the ancient greek HERALOLLOL
btw even in albanian Hero=hero
means hie ra=fell honored in the battle
---------------------------------------------------

you find being educated by someone  much better informed  as something to laugh at, might explain the very silly connections you and others have tried, in vain, to do.

Spare us these long and tiresome posts. I hope you can bring some academic substance to these posts and no more of this misplaced arrogance. Pick some of your strongest words and lets test your theory, and lets see some real academic backed proof, none of this di = acorn, so di is Albanian, rubbish.  Its makes for a thread that everyone else would want to read and actually learn something.Stern%20Smile Deal?

Take this for a believable, backed up position poeple could trust as at least informed and maybe even correct. Since it amused you so much lets see if Flipper was wrong in saying what he did, so lets take 'Hera'.

"linear B tablets from Pylos and Thebes mention a goddess named Diwija, which is the feminine form for Zeus and should identify her as Zeus's original wife. Similarly, on etymological grounds , Hera's original husband should not be Zeus, but Hero. The supposition that Zeus' and Hera's union is a post-Mycenaean act of mythical integration would certainly go some way in explaining why the two were never to sit very comfortable together."
pg 105, "Ethnic identity in Greek antiquity" Jonathan Hall, Cambridge University Press 1998.

"Even without the evidence of Mycenaean Greek, one can establish Hera's Argolic link to seasonality from Homeric Greek. There, one can see a link between Hera, hero, Heracles and hora(season)."
Rowman & Littlefield

Hera-----the stormy(angry) jealous wife of Zeus(gruaja e xhindosur e Zeusit-alb). She was identified as the upper air (ar).
Hera-----era(alb)------the wind
wrong. she wasn't what you described originally, nor would 'air' make any sense to the role she played. She was connected with the seasons, nature, animals, birth and sometimes death. Being both trans-spatial and trans-functional. The angry bitch type came later. Her cult was centered in Argos and also another old cult in Samos.

Some how the 'seasons' interpretation makes more sense. BTW the 'seasons' origin theory is based on a the IE language, hence not pelasgian.

Edited by Leonidas - 22-Jul-2007 at 10:13
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 08:47

At the end
because in Albanian and greek(ancient):
The Odyssey (Greek Οδύσσεια)
Odyssey=ody+s+sey
ody=odhos(greek)=udh(alb)
s=negative prefixe in albanian
sey=she=see(eng)
Meaning
udh s'she(albanian)=
he does not see the road=he does not know the way

Originally posted by Flipper

Dude...You have completely lost you mind. You do not know ancient Greek but try to reconstruct things to fit in albanian.

Are you sure about that?

ὁδός--road, path, way, journey

Ody and Odos are pretty far...You cannot just remove a Y and make it an O just because it seems fine in Albanian.

Are you sure about that?

Albanian-------------------------------------------------------------------English

udh[indefinite form nominal noun-tosk]-----------------------------way
udhi---(definite nominal GHEG)-----------------Ody------------------the way
udha---(definite tosk)--------------------------------------------------the way 
udhi---(definite accusative GHEG)-----------------Ody--------------the way

other nouns
tren-------treni
mal--------mali
trup--------trupi

people names
Aleksander---------------------Aleksandri
Artan-----------------------------Artani

If you open an ancient Greek lexicon you will see that there is a verb called Οδύσσομαι...

Οδύσσομαι is the synonym of οργίζομαι, χολώνομαι, μισώ.

Οδήσσομαι means "I hate" or "wrathful". So οδυσσέυς means actually "hated" or someone that receives wrath...He who got the wrath of the gods. Wink

Are you sure about that?

Ancient Greek---------------------------English

ἐχθρά, ἐχθρόν---- hated, hateful; hostile

Οδύσσομαι...???????
we have a expression in albanian "udhn s'mbaj=
(gheg)----odhi so maj==dont get along with somebody=
sja hap udhen=obstinate(like you)

So forget odos, cause in the sea you do not have roads...Odos is for land...In the sea you have poreia. That is why you have two verbs, odevo and porevo.

Are you sure about that?in Albanian?.....

udh------------------------------way
ὁδ-ός--road, path, way, journey

or

udh-tim {m}----------------------journey
udh-tim ---------------------------trip
udh-tim ---------------------------voyage
udh-tim ---------------------------trek
udh-tim---------------------------- getaway
udh-tim---------------------------- roundtrip
udh-tim----------------------------  commute

If you want to check those

http://www.argjiro.net/fjalor/

..Odos is for land...

ancient greek

ὁδός-------------road, yourney,path, way
(like albanian)

new greek
οδός--------------street(only for land)

..In the sea you have poreia....

poreia??????

Dont lie again

..That is why you have two verbs, odevo and porevo.

odevo and porevo in albanian?????????????????????
there are no such verbs in albanian
We have udhtoj-------in general(land=sea, long+short,way, road ,yourney)

and rrugtoj-------------------for the land specificaly
dont lie again please.

Edited by ZEUS10 - 22-Jul-2007 at 09:14
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 08:07
Flipper you dont know nothing about my language so arguing with me is just obstinacy,  stubbornness,tenacity from you.
See the following.

Edited by ZEUS10 - 22-Jul-2007 at 08:55
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 07:54

Yet two new factors emerged
because of the Slavonic invasion and the Ottoman conquest.
The introduction of Slavjanisms into Albanian should have started after the cessation
of rhotacism in the Southern Albanian dialect. The Slavonic loanwords are of various
chronological and geographical stratification. Slavonic borrowings of the Southern and
Middle Albanian dialects are of Bulgarian origin, whereas those of the Northern Albanian
dialect are of Serbian provenance. The influence of Russian was felt upon the written
language after the World War II, particularly through loan-translations.
The first Turkish loanwords date since the end of the 14th century, but the greatest
part of them penetrated into Albanian after the 17th century. Orientalisms were adopted
with the Oriental way of life, and their substitution was the main target of purist tendencies
connected with the Renaissance movement (second half of the 19th century). The status of
Orientalisms in Modern Albanian is very complex and rich with stylistic possibilities.During the last two centuries the Albanian vocabulary has been intensively enriched
through countless neologisms and borrowings. Two opposed trends have been marked out.
The first has been the purification of many Turkish, Greek, Slavonic, and Romance loanwords.
In contrast, Romance loan-words (modern Italian and French), and in recent times
English ones too, have inundated the written language, necessitated by the demands of
technology, science, culture, art, political and social life, and strongly favoured by television
and media. International words are present in Albanian in the same measure as in other
European languages.
The most comprehensive Albanian dictionary is Fjalor i gjuhs s sotme shqipe,
published by the Academy of Sciences in 1980.

Xhevat LLOSHI, Prof. Doctor of Linguistics

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 07:28

So, how many villages and cities you have roughly?
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 05:01
indeed udhe means path
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>