Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Genographic Study

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Genographic Study
    Posted: 31-May-2007 at 17:05
I recently contributed to the Genographic Project sponsored by the Wyatt Family Foundation, IBM, and The National Geographic Society, and my results are listed below:

Heres a few quotes from the study:

My Haplogroup R1a1 M17: 

Your Y-chromosome results identify you as a member of haplogroup R1a1 (M17).   R1a1 is described by these markers: 

M168 > M89 > M9 > M45 > M207 > M173 > M17

M17: The Indo-Europeans of the Steppes of Asia

Fast Facts

Time of Emergence: 10,000 to 15,000 years ago

Place of Birth: Ukraine or southern Russia

Climate: Glaciers are retreating

Estimated Number of Homo sapiens: A few million

Tools and Skills: Possibly the first people to domesticate the horse

More info on my Haplogroup:

Today a large concentrationaround 40 percentof the men living in the Czech Republic across the steppes to Siberia, and south throughout Central Asia are members of haplogroup R1a1. In India, around 35 percent of the men in Hindi-speaking populations belong to this group. The M17 marker is found in only five to ten percent of Middle Eastern men. The marker is also found in relatively high frequencyaround 35 percentamong men living on the eastern side of present-day Iran.

From Wikipedia :

In Europe:

In Europe, the highest frequencies are found in Central and Eastern Europe. Today it is found at its highest levels in Poland, Hungary, (56%-60%), Ukraine (54%[1] or 44%), and Russia, where one out of two men has this haplogroup. In Hungary contradicting frequencies are reported 60% or 20%. Relatively high frequencies are also found among the ethnic Sorbs (63%) in eastern Germany and in Northern Europe (the largest being 23% in Iceland).

In Asia:

In Asia, high R1a1 frequencies are detected in populations of Ishkashimi (68%), Tajiks (64%), and Kyrgyz (63%).[5][6] "The exceptionally high frequencies of this marker in the Kyrgyz, TajikyKhojant, and Ishkashim populations are likely to be due to drift, as these populations are less diverse, and are characterized by relatively small numbers of individuals living in isolated mountain valleys". If the size of a population decreases, for example, in a particular fraternal family all male members will have 100% of R1a1 or 0 % of this marker

The gene has proven to be a diagnostic Indo-Iranian marker[5] and is believed to have been inherited from people who left a clear pattern of archaeological remains known as the Kurgan culture, generally identified as early Indo-Europeans, and later by the Vikings,[7] which accounts for the existence of it in, among other places, the British Isles.[8][9] Lower frequencies of R1a1 are found among populations of West Asia. Iran appears to have had little genetic influence from the R1a1-carrying Indo-Iranians,[5] attributed to language replacement through the "elite-dominance" model.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 05:21
This is a nice study. I hope you are happy with your result. I took the Y DNA test around five years ago. My haplogroup is I1b, which is Paleolithic and not as common among us Greeks as the Neolithic haplogroups E3b and J2.  
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 16:14
Mine was R1b and ther eis no suitablly detailed information on R1b in the ME other than it is a Alan/Sarmatian -> Kurdish/NW Iranian/Armenian thing.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 04:59
Does ME there stand for Middle East?

R1b is mostly a Western European thing, no?

Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R1b

In human genetics, Haplogroup R1b (M343) (previously called Hg1 and Eu18) is the most frequent Y-chromosome haplogroup in Western Europe.

Its frequency is highest in Western Europe, especially in Atlantic Europe (and due to European emigration, in North America[citation needed], South America[citation needed], and Australia). In southern England, the frequency of R1b is about 70%, and in parts of Spain, Portugal, France, Wales. In Ireland, the frequency of R1b is greater than 90%

Sorry about the italics - I don't seem able to get rid of them.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 14:42

Interesting!

I would also like to do a genographic study, how does one apply?
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Zagros

Afghanan, I can say to you that i predicted your result before opening the thread! 

Zagros,

How so?

Edited by Afghanan - 03-Jun-2007 at 14:56
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 14:54
Originally posted by Cent

Interesting!

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 17:08

Well I had a feeling it would be based on what I have seen on pashtun genetics.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 23:24
Originally posted by Afghanan

Originally posted by Cent

Interesting!

Dienekes posted an interesting study on your haplogroup, R1a1. Ancient South Siberian DNA was analyzed, and this haplogroup was found, showing evidence of Caucasoid presence in the region many years ago.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 19:54

Can you find a link for it?

It's interesting how versatile my Haplogroup is.  It also makes the world much smaller now. 
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 09:40

Can you find a link for it?

It's interesting how versatile my Haplogroup is.  It also makes the world much smaller now. 

Edited by Dinakos - 05-Jun-2007 at 09:43
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 00:18

Thanks Dinakos,

I was reading through some of the different articles I uncovered about the Siberian mummies and I came upon an article that tagged all the different STR's from different grave sites.

They had these codes on them that I dont understand fully.  I know that they signify the amount of mutations, but when I looked at the study from Siberia, I found many of the same mutations in those mummys in my own report.

Does that simply mean that they signify the pattern of R1a1?

This is the article I read:

Look at page 8.  Lots of those "DYS" are very similar, if not exactly like mine.  Granted they are not from the same people , but almost all of my STR's match or come very close to these.

Here is my STR profile:

Type: Y-Chromosome
Haplogroup: R1a1 (M17)

Edited by Afghanan - 08-Jun-2007 at 00:25
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 01:59

I recently contributed to the Genographic Project sponsored by the Wyatt Family Foundation, IBM, and The National Geographic Society, and my results are listed below:

Heres a few quotes from the study:

My Haplogroup R1a1 M17: 
Fast Facts

Time of Emergence: 10,000 to 15,000 years ago

Place of Birth: Ukraine or southern Russia

Climate: Glaciers are retreating

Estimated Number of Homo sapiens: A few million

Tools and Skills: Possibly the first people to domesticate the horse

More info on my Haplogroup:

Today a large concentrationaround 40 percentof the men living in the Czech Republic across the steppes to Siberia, and south throughout Central Asia are members of haplogroup R1a1. In India, around 35 percent of the men in Hindi-speaking populations belong to this group. The M17 marker is found in only five to ten percent of Middle Eastern men. The marker is also found in relatively high frequencyaround 35 percentamong men living on the eastern side of present-day Iran.

Are we sure this haplogroup originated in  Ukraine or southern Russia 10 to 15 thousand years ago?

One average estimate for the origin of this line in India is as much as 51,000 years. All this suggests that M17 could have found his way initially from India or Pakistan, through Kashmir, then via Central Asia and Russia, before finally coming into Europe".

For those who chose to criticize my statements, you will have to realize that you are stuck in the late 1990s where it was simply a given that M17 emerged in the Ukraine. This pillar is crumbling under the weight of solid evidence to the contrary.

PS:Why is the font size of my post so small?

Edited by Traveller - 23-Jun-2007 at 10:39
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 21:43
Traveller,

That doesnt make any sense.  If M17's oldest ancestor (M168) left Africa at 45,000 yrs ago, how could M17 be older than its own ancestor?

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 10:03
Afghanan,

The usual estimate for leaving Africa is 70-50 K.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 15:04
That still doesnt explain how M17 can be older than it's own predecessors M89, or M9, or others for that matter.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 08:01
That must mean that either it's not true or that they're older than it.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 00:15
So the scientists around the world who have come up with the ages of these haplogroups are wrong because you or Oppenheimer say so? 
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 22:58
What scientists? Cite some sources. Scientists themselves contradict each other in their dates.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 13:49
You didnt mention your research's scientists either BTW.  For the study of Haplogroups that are related to my own (M17) and other Eurasian haplogroups, there are many scientists, you can find the entire list here:

I have also provided you with a list of some of the more modern researchers who agree with these accounts, some of them as you will notice were related in the project of studying Eurasian haplogroups:

R. Spencer Wells (Genographic Project) Nadira Yuldasheva, Ruslan Ruzibakiev, Peter A. Underhill, Irina Evseeva, Jason Blue-Smith, Li Jin, Bing Su, Ramasamy Pitchappan, Sadagopal Shanmugalakshmi, Karuppiah Balakrishnan, Mark Read, Nathaniel M. Pearson, Tatiana Zerjal, Matthew T. Webster, Irakli Zholoshvili, Elena Jamarjashvili, Spartak Gambarov, Behrouz Nikbin, Ashur Dostiev, Ogonazar Aknazarov, Pierre Zalloua, Igor Tsoy, Mikhail Kitaev, Mirsaid Mirrakhimov, Ashir Chariev, and Walter F. Bodmer

Some of the different organizations, schools, and laboroties involved are:

Imperial Cancer Research Fund Cancer and Immunogenetics Laboratory and Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Headington OX3 9DS, United Kingdom

Institute of Immunology, Academy of Sciences, Tashkent, Uzbekistan  

Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 

Department of Medical Genetics, Archangelsk State Medical Academy, Archangelsk, Russia 

Department of Human Genetics, School of Public Health, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030 

Centre for Advanced Studies in Functional Genomics, School of Biological Sciences, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India  

Department of Ecology and Evolution, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637

Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 1QU, United Kingdom  

Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Headington OX3 9DS, United Kingdom 

Department of Pediatrics, State Medical Institute, Tbilisi, Georgia  

Immunology Laboratory, Mikaelin Surgical Institute, Yerevan, Armenia 

Department of Immunology, University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 14496, Iran

Tajik State Medical Institute, Dushanbe, Tajikistan;  Pamir Biological Laboratory, Khorog, Tajikistan

Genetics Research Laboratory, Chronic Care Center, Hazmieh, Lebanon 

Institute of Nutrition, Almaty, Kazakstan

Institute of Cardiology, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

State Medical Institute, Ashgabad, Turkmenistan

- You can find their research results in my initial postings or you can click to read the full article here:

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>