Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iraqi-U.S. troops seek kidnapped Britons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iraqi-U.S. troops seek kidnapped Britons
    Posted: 30-May-2007 at 08:55
BAGHDAD - Hundreds of Iraqi and U.S. troops cordoned off sections of Baghdad's Sadr City slum early Wednesday and conducted a series of raids in an apparent effort to find five British citizens abducted from a nearby government building the day before, local residents and police said.

British Embassy officials held ongoing talks Wednesday with Iraqi officials to discuss the situation, Britain's Foreign Office said.

The five men were pulled out of a Finance Ministry office by about 40 heavily armed men in police uniforms in broad daylight Tuesday and driven in a convoy of 19 four-wheel-drive vehicles toward Sadr City, according to the British Foreign office in London and Iraqi officials in the Interior and Finance ministries.

A senior Iraqi official said the radical Shiite Mahdi Army militia was suspected in the attack.

Soon after the abduction, Iraqi forces established a special battalion of Iraqi soldiers and police officers to search for the men, said Brig. Gen. Qassim al Musawi, an Iraqi army spokesman.

"We are conducting search operations near the site where the abduction took place," he said Wednesday. "Maybe today or in the coming few days, we will find them with the help of secret intelligence."

Residents of Sadr City said hundreds of American and Iraqi troops sealed off areas of the Shiite neighborhood overnight and carried out a series of arrest raids that lasted until dawn. The residents spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of reprisals for speaking to the Western media.

The U.S. military said in a statement Wednesday that it had arrested five suspected militants and one suspected leader of a militant cell during early morning raids in Sadr City. Those arrested were believed part of a cell that smuggled weapons in from  < =yqin =http://yq.search.yahoo.com/search method=post>  Iran and sent militants to Iran for training, the statement said.

The statement did not link the raid to the missing men.

Two civilians were killed and four others injured in crossfire from gunbattles that broke out during one of the raids, police said. The civilians had been sleeping on their roofs in a traditional Iraqi custom to escape the brutal heat, police said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

U.S. military officials declined to immediately comment on the reported deaths.

A roadside bomb that apparently targeted a passing police patrol in Sadr City, missed and killed one civilian and wounded four others, police said.

Hours after the kidnappings, Joe Gavaghan, a spokesman for Montreal-based security firm GardaWorld, confirmed that four of its security workers and one client were kidnapped. All four GardaWorld workers are British citizens, he said, declining to provide more details.

A spokesman for BearingPoint, a McLean, Virginia-based management consulting firm, said one of the company's employees, apparently the client referred to by Gavaghan, was among those abducted.

The kidnappings, if the work of the Mahdi Army as asserted by several Iraqi officials, could be retaliation for the killing by British forces last week of the militia's commander in Basra.

Canon Andrew White, the Anglican vicar of Baghdad, who lives in the GardaWorld compound and is involved in efforts to free the men, said it's "a strong possibility" the kidnapping was a retaliation for the killing.

"We have been in contact with (the Mahdi Army) and are doing our best to try and continue that contact throughout the day," he told BBC radio.

The raid was reminiscent of an attack by the Shiite militiamen, dressed as Interior Ministry commandos, who stormed a Higher Education Ministry office Nov. 14 and snatched away as many as 200 people. Dozens of those kidnap victims have never been found.

"We are pursuing this case very vigorously, first to release them, secondly to establish the truth of what happened, who was responsible," Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told BBC radio on Wednesday.

the 3 soldiers first and those britons,this tactic by disguise as iraqi security forces is not a new but was used against civilians only in sectarian violence conflict,but now I consider it a big operation it will dameged the already weak relationship between Coalition forces and Iraqi forces,no trust anymore,maybe  some clashes by accident in the future.
outside this topic I think Iraq is going to be the second vietnam,not necessarily in all directions but at least we will see an American withdrawal like 1975.
there are many operations didn't cover by media cause the night due to the curfew we hear only the gunfire,or other circumstances for example I saw a striker destroyed by roadside bomb to days ago,today near my neighborhood a humvee destroyed by RPG7 and a ramdom shooting happened as usual.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 15:17
Again?

Join us.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 15:46
The 3 soldiers that were captured happened in a ambush. A new tactic the insurgents use to to destroy a vehicle, whther it be ground or a helicopter, then setup a ambush because they know help will always be sent.

When the IED hit the striker, could you tell if the soldiers inside were alright or not? I've been wondering how well they do against IEDs.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 16:12
I have seen some footage before, it doesn't look very promising since the explosions are so big and literally throw the vehicle up into the air and if EFPs are used then even worse.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 19:04
RPGs are a form of EEPs. They use a shaped piece of copper that turns molten and injects into armor I believe. But with the EEPs your talking about, they get pretty big right?
I know the M! Abrams have been very good with roadside bombs, atleast in saving the crew. But alot of them need to go in for armor repair amongst other things too. I was wondering if Strikers perform just as well, the back door looks like it's 10inches thick alone from pictures I've seen.

Humvees also have recently gotten armor upgrades all around, though I have my doubts that the government has even upgraded half of them. It still pisses me off that they canceled the Dragon Armor for our troops and coming up with lame excuses why they did so. The real reason I belive is just money, because those things would save even more lives.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 07:26
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

The 3 soldiers that were captured happened in a ambush. A new tactic the insurgents use to to destroy a vehicle, whther it be ground or a helicopter, then setup a ambush because they know help will always be sent.

When the IED hit the striker, could you tell if the soldiers inside were alright or not? I've been wondering how well they do against IEDs.
I think they were alright but the striker became out of service,the new IED is small and very effective,they suspected they coming from Iran.
it happened in Sadr city the stronghold of Mahdi Army,I think the IED that used to destroy the Striker was the new one because the old that used in Anbar province or Baghdad cannot destry it.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 14:57

All u need to make a highly effective efp is a copper sheet, a metal pipe, some clips and some plastic explosive.

Post Reply Post Reply