Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-Christian Poland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Christian Poland?
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 19:14
I've only read two books on Polish history and it doesn't say much about it's pre-christian history. I was wondering if my fellow Poles could tell me all they learned and know about this period. (Seeing "Stara Basn" has gotten me interested lol)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 20:47

I take interest in Polish history only in the period after 963, the year when Prince Mieszko had to adopt Christianity for Poland (or else face the Teutonic extermination). To me, the idea Poland without Christianity makes no sense whatsoever.

By the way, I am your fellow but regrettably not your fellow Polanie.

Edited by Lohendrin
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 06:05
i know nothing before 1390 or so... or maybe about Kazimierz... anyway the Lithuanian Great-Duke Jagiello was a pagan before his marriage with Jadwiga...
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:19

Ya I know that Poland is WAY better off Christian, I'm just interested in learning more about something I don't know that much about.

PS: I don't midn if non-Poles answer too. I just wrote that because it's obvious that a Pole will have a better chance of knowing the answer to my question than someone else.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 13:11

We know nearly nothing about pre-christian Poland however modern polish scholars assume that in the second half of IX centaury the new ruler have take the power in Gniezno. The prince name was Siemowit and he controlled probably territory of Greatpoland. His son Lestek have conquered Kujavia, Mazovia and the land of Ledzianie (todays Sandomierz). Son of Lestek - Siemomysl have directet the expansion toward north, conquering the land between Greatpoland and Pomorie.

Mieszko was the son Siemomysl and he start to rule about 960 AC.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 18:54

Latest archeological works seems to proove that the capital of Polanie tribe was Poznan while Gniezno was a pagan religious center.This year in Poznan archeologists found huge fortifications, a city wall or rather earth/wood/stone wall about 14 metres wide and 10 metres high. 2 years ago also the palace of first polish rulers was discovered also in Poznan. Both the palace and fortifications are dated on half of the 10th century. The size of these constructions seems to proove that Polanie were a well organsied tribe and that my city - Poznan was their political center.

Edited by Mosquito
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:31

Can you guys tell me a bit about their religion, rituals habits, stuff liek that, anything you know?

PS: In Stara Basn, what's the name of the king Siemowit and Piastun kill?

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 09:36

boody4 wrote:Can you guys tell me a bit about their religion, rituals habits, stuff liek that, anything you know?

A great Polish historician said that the knowledge of the religion of Poles in the pre-christian period could take one sheet of paper.

Mosquito wrote: 2 years ago also the palace of first polish rulers was discovered also in Poznan.

A blue paint found on the walls of this palace was prepared on lapis lazuli base. That could be imported only from present day Afganistan.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 18:21

Originally posted by Rava

A blue paint found on the walls of this palace was prepared on lapis lazuli base. That could be imported only from present day Afganistan

This is somthing what i havent read in the newspapers.

Do you have more info and details on Poznan archeological research?

So far i know the archeologists didnt publish final results of their works yet.

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 03:25
An interview with prof.Kurnatowska, in "Newsweek" or "Wprost" Magazine, I should be shot I can't recall #of the issue.
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 10:54

Originally posted by Rava

A great Polish historician said that the knowledge of the religion of Poles in the pre-christian period could take one sheet of paper.

Well can you paste that sheet of paper on the thread then?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 13:21

Try Aleksander Gieysztor, Mitologia Słowian or just look here:

http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/SlavPan.html

or here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitologia_S%C5%82owian

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 21:50
So Svantavit is the name of the God shown in Stara Basn???
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 22:04

The English site was very informative and I tried reading the Polish site even though I only understood only like half of the words because written polish and spoken polish is very different and I'm only used to spoken.

Nevermind, I found the English version of the site.

Edited by boody4
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 22:20
I wonder if there's an entirely translated in English version of the Book of Veles on a site, because last time I checked I can't read Russian.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 04:22

The names of some of the pagan Slavic deities are nearly identical to those of the Indo-Aryans.

Here are a few examples off the top of my head:

Shiva (Sanskrit) = Zhiva (Russian) = Zywie (Polish)

Vishnu (Sanskrit) = Vesna (Russian) = Wisnie (Polish)

Varuna (Sanskrit) = Perun (Slavic)

BTW, I'm of mostly Polish descent, so naturally these things fascinate me.

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 10:33

Do you know from where in Poland your descendants are mostly from?

Mine are mainly from Malopolska and the territory lost to Ukraine(I don't know the name of the province/region). The later immigrated to the new acquired German territories to Silesia.

PS: Too bad there's not more documentation on pre-christian Poland. It sounds so interesting, especially finding out where exactly did the Slavs come from(b4 coming to Eastern Europe) and other stuff like that.

Edited by boody4
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 02:16

Boody4-

My Grandfather had said that our family was from Galicia.  He was born in Tarnow.  Thanks for asking.

It's good to know someone here has similiar interests.  Hopefully we can learn more here on this forum.  Rava is really good on this subject and seems to have a wealth of information.  I wonder if ScythKing from the old AllEmpires forum is here, maybe under a different name (BTW I used to be GoldenAge on AllEmpires).  He also was able to provide a lot of material on origins and migrations and that sort of thing.

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 11:20
Yes, I know a lot of things about Slavs and their migrations, but I'm also knowing the less known information like "religion" and other minor details like that.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 13:37
what was the ruling title of the pre-Christian rulers? did they have a Khaghan like the Kievan Rus?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>