Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ridley Scotts(of Gladiator fame) new movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ridley Scotts(of Gladiator fame) new movie
    Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 18:55
Kingdom of Heaven.

Looks pretty good. I know most, if not all, the recent history
films have been sub-par but Gladiator was pretty good and the trailor
for this seemed really cool.
Here is a link:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/kingdom_of_heaven/trailer_ lg.html

Edited by Catt
"Europe and Asia are finally mine. Woe to Chritendom. She has lost her sword and shield."
Ottoman Sultan after hearing of the death of Skenderbeg.
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 18:56
ahh damn the link screwed up   

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 19:42
what is the movie about?
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 20:18
Its about the Crusades.    
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 22:41

Well, it really glorifies the crusades, no?

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 04:32
My thoughts exacly.. hmm I'd rather spend my 8 euro on something else.
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 23:50

Could be interesting. But who is starring? Anthony Hopkins as the wise old pope, Brad Pitt as a daring young and bold crusader and Wesley Snipes as the infidel?

I just hope it has some interesting historical romance in it and not just pure hollywoodesque epic saga.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 01:35

Originally posted by Teup

Hey! Wait to see if the movie is good as entertainment or not. Don't deny it due to pc reasons. History is always biased, so hang tough.

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 02:06
Originally posted by Infidel

Could be interesting. But who is starring? Anthony Hopkins as the wise old pope, Brad Pitt as a daring young and bold crusader and Wesley Snipes as the infidel?

I just hope it has some interesting historical romance in it and not just pure hollywoodesque epic saga.

The main role is played by good old, pointy ears, Legolas, Orlando Bloom, he's cornered the market,he never takes off his sandals, these days.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 13:54
Originally posted by Degredado

Originally posted by Teup

Hey! Wait to see if the movie is good as entertainment or not. Don't deny it due to pc reasons. History is always biased, so hang tough.

Allright allright... I don't want to a nitpicker or anything... (hey, I'm writing a game that's full of historical inaccuracies ) But I only go to the cinema if it's really spectacular/original, and IMHO some biased crusader tale isn't really all that.. I'll probably see it sometime anyway, rent it or watch it on tv.

Whatever you do, don't
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 15:06
Originally posted by Ptolemy

Well, it really glorifies the crusades, no?

Doubt it. What I've heard it's closer to the other way around. If you're interested in some light entertainment, it might be something for you. On the other hand, if you like historical movies that are accurate, move on. Several historians, British and Arab, has renounced it as rubbish in that compartment.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 15:09
(Possible spoiler They won't make it as inaccurate as Gladiator was. The outcome of the battle will be historically accurate.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:10
Most movies tend to be inacurate historically. It's part of the business and entertainment. They're never history books.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 04:32
 the major flaws in gladiator include 1) the preatorian gaurd- no one really knows how they were dressed2) most swords made for the areas where make super birttle so the fighter HAD to use there shield to defend themselve other wise the blades would snap 3) all the legionarries at the begining are wearing the same armour, the romans re-used armour, so some should have bronze helms, and where are the Auxlia ? they would have made up the main battle force. so judging on his past efforts MR.Scott needs to check his anicent armies
My peoples tale is written in blood
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 10:22

Why are you people always so serious about these movies?! C'mon, let's face it, inaccurate movies sell. But still, you don't have to nag about every little mistake the makers made. It's only a movie.

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 11:10

I don't really like what I've seen of the movie in the trailers. Unfortunatley, it seems to be the same old Hollywood action epic with exaggerated phyrrotechnic effects and the nowadays compulsory hordes of computer-animated robot-guys that we saw in "Troy" as well as in Star wars

And I hate flaming arrows and naphta used in war-scenes!  It was cool when it was used in Gladiator, but now I'm just bored since nowadays, every movie about pre-gunpowder warfare make up the lack of explosions with endless, spectacular fireshows...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 11:36
Actually, they have tried to depict the good and evil in both sides of the crusades, ambitious kings, self-righteous popes, etc
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2005 at 22:17
Kingdom of Heaven

One aspect that was pretty much true was the way they
portrayed Saladin. He was a Kurd by the way. Not a power
hungry guy, he was capable of great acts of compassion and
could be very circumspect in his treatment of the fallen. In most
ways, he was a far more civilised man than the Frankish
monsters he confronted. He was highly regarded in Europe too.
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 01:15
I think many of you are ridiculous, your constant complaints about hollywood's butchering of history merely demonstrates your own lack of historical knowledge.  Le Morte Arthur anyone?
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:57

I don't know enough about the Crusades, but I read that Saladin was a very fair man.  Treated the fallen very well.

Concerning John the Kern's statement about the Roman armor, I totally agree.  Yes, it is a movie, don't take it too seriously, but if you are making a historical movie, you want to make it as accurate as possible.

Brad Pitt in Troy.  It did not work of me.  In the movie, when he came ashore near Troy, I though he had a Greek sword in one hand and a surfboard on the other!  I just could not take that California golden boy look with the movie.  Orlando & Eric Bana (misspelled) worked.  They actually looked Greek (from what I have seen with the paintings and artifacts).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>