Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient People vs. Medieval People (in Geometry)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient People vs. Medieval People (in Geometry)
    Posted: 07-May-2007 at 10:22

Could people in medieval times build this 146 meters high pyramid, with a slope angle of 5150':

or this very precise circular city, 2 kilometers in diameter:

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2010 at 19:46
Yes, of course they could! I wonder just what the angle is of a large pile of salt? It has, I suppose a natural incline that cannot be exceeded?

Just whom do you think makes "crop circles?", etc.?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 27-May-2010 at 19:47
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2010 at 05:41
Theoretically yes. Practically no.

As far as the mathmatics and science behind the said constructions are concerned there is no reason why people in the Middle Ages were not capable of constructing such things. The people of the middle ages weren't any less intelligent than people who came before them, or people who came after them for that matter.

They couldnt actually build the the things in reality though, sheer costs, organisation of men and material required would have put such a massive strain on the economy and political system so as to make it all but impossible.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2010 at 18:08
DW, wrote;

"They couldnt actually build the the things in reality though, sheer costs, organisation of men and material required would have put such a massive strain on the economy and political system so as to make it all but impossible."

You see, you base your answer based upon what are, perhaps, false assumptions!

It is strange that this same society was able to build or at least start building literally thousands of churches, most of which were very large?

If this society was so encumbered with problems within the economy, just how could they afford such expenditures in the raising of great edifices to God?

Thus there just might well exist some problem with our current evaluation of this era?

Or perhaps you do not agree?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 22-Jun-2010 at 17:26
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2010 at 04:34
True, but the comparative scale between them has to be taken into account.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2010 at 16:12
well, there is a big difference between state organised and sponsored public works like piramids and churches or great cathedrals of medieval times. Piramids were build by the whole nation, cathedrals were sponsored by rich merchants of rich european cities. Thats completelly different scale. Pharaoh had all the resources and people of his country while even rich cities (most of which were autonomic republics) had usually up to 20 thousands of people.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2010 at 17:36
Dear, my little irritating, biting insect!

During any period of great empires, even during the Middle Ages,we are told that certain personages had access to a whole limitless source of labor, due to the system(s) that reportedly existed during those times!

Compare it to anything you feel belongs entirely to Egypt, and you always come up with serfs/ surfs and serf-dom!

Did Egypt actually become the ultimate burial place for kings, and queens of the world?

I would still ask some of our real scientists out there to make your own experiment! Just began making a pile(s) of salt, but there is more than one kind of salt, such as Kosher, Sea, Natron , etc., and pile it up to a height of one, two, three, or even five? feet, upon dry land!

Let it (all of the alternatives) stand for a while, and then measure the angles?

If there are any real scientists out there, then please present us the results of this experiment?

I feel you mmight well come up with angles that closely resemble the angles found in pyramids?

But, of course, I could well be wrong?

Even though I believe that Salt and its relatives, were of the utmost importance for a thousand years or so!

I therefore, propose, that these great edifices, were built to show the everlasting qualities of salt to preserve the Kings and Queens of the past!

Even Kings and Queens, much closer to today than is to be considered!

Edited by opuslola - 22-Jun-2010 at 17:52
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2010 at 17:59
Its a question of mobilising and organising the available man power for any such project. Medieval Europe in comparison to Egypt lacked those means and resources.
 Post Reply Post Reply