Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Endangered Animals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Endangered Animals
    Posted: 01-May-2007 at 11:58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_endangered_animal_species

I've just discovered this frighteningly long list of endangered species from Wiki. I cannot believe that in this day and age we have let so many of the creatures with whom we share this planet become so at risk.

Just take a look for yourself! The list speaks for itself.

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 16:03
If it cannot evolve quick enough to survive, then it deserves to die.
If a bug invades my territory (my home), i will kill it. This isn't different in the outside world either.
Life is a struggle for existence. The strongest and smartest animals triumph. There have been thousands of species that have become extinct before us, it is a natural thing. We should not feel sorry for these, but hope that the next generation can evolve to suit their surrounding better.
Same with humans, if we cannot evolve quick enough to meet the demans from global warming, we will perish. I do not feel sorry for humans, we are a species on the earth like every other animal.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 23:52
What's disturbing about that list is the numbers of minor species that are in the process of vanishing, not just endangered.    If you look closely you'll see large numbers of repitiles, fish, insects etc.  Frogs are looked on as the early warning system for major environmental shifts.  I don't recall exact numbers or source right off but I think the number of species of frogs lost in the last ten years is well over one hundred. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
darkz10 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote darkz10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 05:13
Ya this is actually very disturbing as this will surely effect us? The question is how long more before we will get effected by all this.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 16:04
Actually, as far as I know, world wide science has already made attempts to confine the eradication of species, as only momentary! That is for the last 30 years or more, it seems there has existed certain labs, who have saved (frozen) the eggs and sperm, etc., of many of the animals whose numbers had strayed below the levels to reproduce faster than the extinction rate!

These same labs, are trying to also find "dna" from old frozen "dna" and try to replicate it, in the attempt to replicate "extinct" species,etc.!

Certainly, where there is science there could also be salavation?

Fresh Wolly Mamouth steak, anyone? Thanks, is should of course be spelled "mammoth!"

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 16-Feb-2011 at 08:24
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2011 at 09:23
I've never had "Fresh Mammoth".  However, I have had "Frozen Mammoth".  It's quite tasty, but has an unusual texture.  The sample I was fortunate to have tasted came from a specimen that was approx. 18,000 years old.   There are places in the world where this is considered a delicacy.
[Very Cold places]Big smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 18:11
So are 100 year old eggs!, "Blowfish", and "mountain oysters!"

At your extreem age it must be an "acquired taste?"

Ptuii!

Edited by opuslola - 16-Feb-2011 at 18:14
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 08:34
What I have always found interesting are the accounts of Mammoth carcasses found frozen with green vegetation still in their mouths, indicating an extremely sudden freezing event. 
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 13:38
Yes, those strange reports do seem to exist, but I wonder of validity of them?

In any event, if true, then about the only thing that could cause such an event seems to me, might have been caused by a close pass by a large asteroid, or comet, etc.! Thus the atmosphere would have almost instantly have been replaced by the cold of outer-space, which was carried to ground level.

My only explanation since these beasts are found under feet of frozen tundra, mud, etc.! The resulting winds, and pressures (or lack thereof) might have formed a rolling ball of animals and detrimus, that was finally deposited across large areas that were already mostly frozen tundra, and there the bodies or pieces of bodies in most cases, were left frozen until early man discovered them and actually used the perfect tusks to build huts, etc.!

Of course this large bolide might have existed in a string form much like the sight we wintesses when a string of them struck Jupiter a few years ago! Thus multiple near misses or mid air explosions, and shock waves, that rumbled across Russia from possibly South to North!

Thus multiple quick freezed and smashes, with the resulting hurricane winds of the atmosphere returning to ground level!

Well it my theory, and until someone else comes up with a better explanation, I will stick with it!
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 00:23

This article says a baby female mammoth was found frozen in Siberia.

Wouldn't it be possible to clone this mammoth, by using its DNA with a modern elephant's egg cell? Or are modern elephants not close enough to mammoths for this to happen?

Also, if a male mammoth is ever found, could its sperm cells be used to inseminate an elephant, creating a sort of elephant-mammoth hybrid? That would be interesting...
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 16:02
Like I said Arab, it seems that many of these so called events cannot be verified! If you remember the money spent to carve what was thought an entire Mammoth from the frozed tundra a few years ago, then you will remember that all that was recovered were a number of "pieces", and in the scene I presented of these great animals being tumbled over and over for miles by gale force winds, etc., then you might well understand that the chance of finding a totally secure and well frozen adult, in any manner complete seems to be beyond chance!

But, we can only hope that such does occur!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 03:40
sounds frightening. Is it because of the polluted environment or simply the evolution theory is working?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 04:21
Top endangered animal:Human out of insects manners and behavior.Unhappy  
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 11:15
Originally posted by opuslola

Like I said Arab, it seems that many of these so called events cannot be verified! If you remember the money spent to carve what was thought an entire Mammoth from the frozed tundra a few years ago, then you will remember that all that was recovered were a number of "pieces", and in the scene I presented of these great animals being tumbled over and over for miles by gale force winds, etc., then you might well understand that the chance of finding a totally secure and well frozen adult, in any manner complete seems to be beyond chance!

But, we can only hope that such does occur!

They find carcasses all the time.  It's the state of preservation that's often the problem.

Opus, which mammoth are you ref. to. The Zarkov mammoth was recovered approx. 80% intact.  They are still working on it.  That's the only incident I know of recently.

Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2011 at 07:48
Originally posted by opuslola

So are 100 year old eggs!, "Blowfish", and "mountain oysters!"

At your extreem age it must be an "acquired taste?"

Ptuii!

I've always wanted to try century eggs. Think i'll pass on the balls though
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply