Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Barbarian" in the Ancient Greek mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Barbarian" in the Ancient Greek mind
    Posted: 06-May-2007 at 20:00

Claedy, silence is more prefered than ignorance. Think twice before posting.

claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by Athanasios

Claedy, silence is more prefered than ignorance. Think twice before posting.

WHAT IS PREFERED BY YOU IS INSIGNIFICANT!!!
so save yourself the time
claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 20:46
Originally posted by olvios

The Aegyptians in ancient greek eyes were of a lower culture as was all the world.In their eyes and athenians eyes especially they (the athenians) were above all men culturaly.

Other words for foreign are  Xeinos,allotrios,eterocthon,alloethnis,allofyllos,allogenis,allognos,
allodapos,ektopios...and many more which were never used to describe greek nations such as the Spartans,Macedons,Epirots,Athenians,Cretans....
When one is called a greek nation by texts and then with a derogatory term pertaining to language first and cultural level second he is being called something derogatory he is being insulted.The conflicting studies and opinions exist of course and  are on the exact form of greek dialect and wording like syntax and grammar of norhtwest greek not their ancient greek ethnicity.

Also are you implying with no proof at all and slandering that Liddel and Scott and the whole or the greater part of the academic community of planet earth has been paid off by the greek goverment for the last century? From what i read you are not implying but directly accusing all the above mentioned.There is a world conspiracy against albania you mean well i await for proof of the Slandering of science and scientists and the whole of the greek nation.

no i complitely disagree with this comment!
the ancient greek were not so bord as to use a doesnt of diferent words for the none ancient greek!  every single word used implyes a diferent meaning!
words had always meaning in the ancient world, and there would be no single word withought a meaning, every word had to derive from somwhere!  therefore everywords synthesys will be required to be studied before we can drw up simple conclusions, which are unacauntable on the above work you recomend!
"the dialect and wording like syntax and grammar of norhtwest"-!this is very important!
this matter canot be a closed matter!
this implies a lot more than what you would be confortable with!
on our view this is a concrete prove along with the demonstration of architectural organisation on their towns as well as the way of leaving which defered in a huge contrast from the real ancient greek city states.
they were pure Illyrian people by origin as every evidence proves to be same as the Illyrian remains, and ofcourse their ancient greek as a second language would be of a bad condition indeed! so bad spoken and writen on inscription ancient greek is not actualy a dialect is it?
this is where you are comming in to sugest dialects!
well maby perhaps you should imply the same for the romans as well who spoke ancient greek(ofcourse with a dialect), or the people of Illyria, and any other tribe that was known and that the ancient greek city states had conections with!
no ofcourse you are complitely wrong!
what you are trying to defend is undefendable!
there are no ancient greek texts from makedhon!
there are no Illyrian either, but even if there were any you would destroy the evidence, and nobody should be mistaken about that!
what has been found so far are only remains on tumes and other graves!
inscriptions.. and truly highly disputable colourful paintings on tums walls!
oh i forgot ur arc Tongue
this stuff would be of a tremendas importance for you to open a new topic, so we can have a good hot discusion about the claim over them, and draw a more acceptable view by the rest of us!

by no means am i trying to manipulate anything, but considering the reality of the political situation during the last 2 centuries, nothing anymore can be taken for granted!
however it would not even be scientificaly corect to just agree and have no objections!

so it is for the best and a contribution to the reality of history
kind regards

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by claedy

there are no ancient greek texts from makedhon! 

Houston do you copy? Where do you live Claedy? Welcome to the real world...

http://epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/gis?region=4&subregion=11

7000+ inscriptions and counting...Amongst them 3 pre attic ones.

Edited by Flipper - 07-May-2007 at 01:28

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 03:37
For athanasios only-  i didnt write the word Xenios but Xeinos it used for non-local mercenary  troops among other things.Xenios was used to characterise the Greek visitors indeed.

Also you are implying with no proof at all and slandering that Liddel and Scott and the whole or the greater part of the academic community of planet earth has been paid off by the greek goverment for the last century or 2 centuries? From what i read you are not implying but directly accusing all the above mentioned.There is a world conspiracy against albania you mean ?Well i await for proof of the Slandering of science and scientists and the whole of the greek nation.

Edited by olvios - 07-May-2007 at 04:42
http://www.hoplites.net/
claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 06:05

For athanasios only-  i didnt write the word Xenios but Xeinos it used for non-local mercenary  troops among other things.Xenios was used to characterise the Greek visitors indeed.

Also you are implying with no proof at all and slandering that Liddel and Scott and the whole or the greater part of the academic community of planet earth has been paid off by the greek goverment for the last century or 2 centuries? From what i read you are not implying but directly accusing all the above mentioned.There is a world conspiracy against albania you mean ?Well i await for proof of the Slandering of science and scientists and the whole of the greek nation.

no u dont wait for proof you discredit!but explain here where were their and indeed also your theories based on!
give me the mekedhonian or the epirotan texts!
what kind of proof do u have?
and then we can judge
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 06:23
We have given the a Gargantuan refenrece in  blibliography of all kinds.

I am waiting an apology and refutal on your insults on the greek nation and the academic community.
claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 06:32

I am waiting an apology and refutal on your insults on the greek nation and the academic community.

no i am not insulting anything or anyone!
it is indeed sad that you are incapable of understanding, those i cant be of help to you on that matter!
i do not seack references withought your own specific conclusions on them or their particular study!
i sugest you open a new topic that deals with archeological proofs!
i will enjoy giving you all the counterarguments that may exist on everything you claim, or i may indeed agree with your assumption if it is to be correct!
so i do not know what the subject here is anymore, are we stil talking about the word "barbarian"=-in the ancient greek mind?

then if so you have to demonstrate why you claim what you do!
claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 06:35
Originally posted by Flipper

Originally posted by claedy

Originally posted by Penelope

Sparta actually considered Athens and the rest of the Greek cities as barbarians.

true-the partans were not ethnic ancient greek, but belonged to the Illyrian-Pellasgian group

Stop trolling and show us something indicating they were...Everybody knows Spartans were Dorians.

and what were the dorians?
do you know where they came from?
or what ethnicity they belonged to?
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 06:51

Barbarian, -on (a.) - [word for expression of sound of foreign language ]. Not Greek, foreigner, barbarian, the foreigners mainly the Medes and the Persians , barbaric, the barbarians, Barbaroomai   I become barbarian, Bebarbaromenos - - being inapprehensible, Barbarophone, - on, the one that speaks a foreign language, the one that does not speak Greek correctly. When it is used for Greeks as Spartans, Macedonians, Epirotes, Thessalians and other imply the use of Greek dialect minus Attica of (Athenians) or a cultural level lowest than that of Athenians. Usual offensive characterization of Athenians for the remainder Greeks. Depreciatory vilification between Greek nations.

Barbarize  , I speak as a barbarian (while I am Greek), I take part of barbarians "Medise" take the  Persian side , I violate the rules of Greek language, I make grammatical error,  barbarism , Grammatical error, mistaken use of Greek language, At a barbaric way, In the barbaric language.

Barbarofylos , barbarian in the race # non Greek 

Philellene [ filos+E'llin ] Foreigner that loves Greece and the Greeks, Greek patriot panhellene (if only particular Homeland Then is philopatris) in the antiquity, Opposite.Mishellene=Greek Hater.

"Hellenicity" by Jonathan Hall Liddel, X. and Scott, R. Big Dictionary Greek languages, Greek publication A C.D.Hamilton's "Agesilaus and the Failure: of Spartan Hegemony (cornell University Press, 1991)

This is still the case for interested parties such as iranian friends and others.Lets stay in topic.
claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 06:54
this is stil the case, and do u imply that this words were used by the ancient greek?
when was ecch used first and in what situation?
give the exampels on those texts.
this conclusions are insignificant otherwise without your own conclusion
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 07:07
Now you are just Mega trolling

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 07:09

Greek-English Lexicon
With a Revised Supplement, 1996

Ninth Revised Edition

Compiled by H. G. Liddell and R. Scott

Revised and augmented throughout by Henry Stuart Jones

with the assistance of Roderick McKenzie, Supplement edited by P. G. W. Glare, and with the assistance of A. A. Thompson

Price: 140.00 (hardback)
ISBN-10: 0-19-864226-1
ISBN-13: 978-0-19-864226-8
Publication date: 27 June 1996
2446 pages, 290x220 mm
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 07:29

You ave insulted the greek nation and the academic community on their actions in the past 200 years.

Detailed Apology and Detailed refutal

claedy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 07:47
i dont care if you get insulted at all!  this is not about apriciating anybodys work, but about objectively asesing their conclusions!
and yes indeed on what i have noted are true and serious matters to be taken fully into acount before being so forth and claiming all the ballkans to be greek!
no need for that!
we dont have to mix modern day reality with historical reality, so indeed you should not be ofended but enlightend
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 08:34
This topic has totally derailed and has nothing more to offer.

Closed!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123