Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHistorical Rivalries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Rivalries
    Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 20:17
I'm gonna say Poland's relations with most of Europe isn't so great, after looking at WW2, who was actually an ally to Poland? G Britain? yeah thanks for the phoney war, and making sure that our borders don't get messed up(losing Lwow for instance) and that we have a nice democracy, this isn't solely Britain's fault...France?...ditto, America? oh yeah they helped...in handing Poland over to USSR on a silver plater...Russia?or USSR? numer uno...Katyn, need I say more? well before katyn they placed a nice knife in the back while we were receiving knives from germany, and in a way form Britain and france. Id really like to understand the logic of Stalin when he made the decision to go with Hitler on getting rid of Poland I meanw as it really necessary? why wouldn't he help Poland? was it to get back at the Polish-Bolshevik war? I mean even Stalin knew that this treaty or w/e would not have lasted, so many oppurtunities to avoid the second world war...*sigh*. During that time also Poland was on bad terms with Lithuania, largely to the Poles own fault I guess, as well as with ukraine, Czech Im guessing also not the best, the only Nations that we were ok with are the ones who were Neutral. But in general overall History Id say the biggest enemies were the Russians or germans, Id probably think Russians more because their was a lot more wars, whereas against Germans the wars were usually in times of the Piasts or the first Jagiello's.

BUT...NUMBER ONE ENEMY OF POLAND BEFORE ANY OF THE NATIONS I HAVE MENTIONED ISSSS.....

GEOGRAPHY!!
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 20:19
P.S I noticed myself I didnt mention nazi germany but I mean, I should really have to mention that cuz how did the 2nd WW start anyways
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 06:00

I cant say Turks hated any specific nation in history even the ones betrayed us...

But I see lots of nations of today hating us like we were the main enemies of them without looking their history and see the trust we had to them. They cant understand the fact or some other powerful nations dont let them to understand the fact that their national and cultural existance wouldnt be possible today without our protection and authority...

"Kavm_i Sadk" means faithful or loyal nation. Ottomans gave that name to armenians once...  

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 07:49
Yep, Norway definatly love to hate the swedes. Although we go there to buy alcohol and boats, because most things are cheaper there than here. If there are jokes about any nationality in norway, it's either racist or about swedes.

I don't know how the swedes feel, but it seems that norwegians and swedes unite against the danes though. The danes are just plain odd, and have a very... special language

And to the guy whop says he can spot a german a long way away. Totally agree
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 08:13
Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

I don't know how the swedes feel, but it seems that norwegians and swedes unite against the danes though. The danes are just plain odd, and have a very... special language

Don't be mean, you would sound silly with a potatoe stuck in your throat too.
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 23:05
Mongolians do not have any pet hatred towards anyone...maybe except the Russians.  THEY BROUGHT US COCKROACHES!!  THE FIENDS!!!

As for pure hatred, even before the formation of the Mongol Empire, we hated our southern neighbour.  The Sino people aggravated us ever since.  Their culture is so different from our with their settled down farming agriculture and disdain for milk and meat.  Once I took a stroll down the China town in Philadephia and I came out gaggin, almost throwing up.  How I hate to be mixed with them!  That said, I have 1 Hong Kong friend and 2 Taiwanese friends.  Not mainlander so it was ok I guess.

I do see some sorta reconciliation between the two nations and I hope our relationship will improve overtime.  I still hate them though.
I'm awake, I'm awake.
Exorsis C View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 05:03
Originally posted by Mangudai

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Russia, since the days of Nevskij. Not really since the breakup of the USSR though, but you never know for the future

Don't forget Denmark, those guys will never admit that they've lost Skne and other provinces

Well, if you ask some people from Skne they will actually tell you that they are being occupied by Sweden and want to be liberated. Read the book Skneland by Uno Rnnblom if you don't believe me.

Don't put your mouth into motion before your brain is in gear.
Member of "the exclusive group of women on AE".
Aristoteles View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 07:48

Greeks have a millenia old (almost...) animosity with Turks, but things go much better now. Our animosity with the Bulgarian is even older, although that one is retreating as well. There is in some minds a three-millenia old vendetta with the Jews, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for proof on that one.

In the antiquity the main enemies of Greeks were the Persian - until we managed to bring them under the Greek yoke... I mean, bring the Greek culture to them . We had many contacts despite the animosity and lots of Greeks served Persian kings or wannabe kings, but in the end we conquered them nevertheless.

The Romans were never considered "enemies" by the Greeks. Even by the time they conquered us, we thought of them as kin, trying to settle our petty internal rivalries (yes, we Greeks have a long history of internal struggle... even up to our days). Later we even went so far to adopt their name (Romeoi, Romioi - pronounced Roh-mjee) and we still don't hesitate to refer to the common culture as "Graeco-Roman". Today we say "Graeco-Italiano, one face, one race".

As to which the ages-long friends of Greeks are... hmm... The Armenian were always on good terms with us, and also the eastern Slavs (the Orthodox ones). The Romans (and the modern Italians, the incident in WW2 was just that - an incident... something we can't say for the Venetians in the middle ages though - but seems we have a long tradition of becoming vassals of our friends ) also.

In ancient times Greeks had lots of contacts and long-lasting friendship with the Skythes and most of all the Egyptians. The latter must've been the best friend the Greeks had and it's quite fascinating the fact that the same people constantly under rebellion when ruled by the Persian, were the best and more obedient subjects under the Greek Lagides dynasty. They did see Alexandros as a liberator and they cheered him as god. And that wasn't the first attempt of the Greeks to liberate Egypt from the Persians - the Athenians send at least two large expedition force to aid Egyptians in two rebellions.

There are more, rivals and friends, I am forgetting right now.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 19:13

Originally posted by Aristoteles

There are more, rivals and friends, I am forgetting right now.

Most of the western states are friendly of Greece, especially and mostly because of the great heritage the Graeco-Roman culture left to the West and the world. So, as friends, you're forgetting the great amount of philiellines like Britain, France or US (but I would include all western Europe), that actually promoted and supported the Greek War of Independence as well.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 19:18

I mean, just see the amount of tourists per year, that come flooding from all around the globe to Greece to take a glimpse at the Akropoli and other ruins.

Of course, there's also those wonderful sandy islands of the Aegean!

Modern Greece isn't about Plato, Archimedes or Pericles. It is a different reality. But their heritage still lives on, echoing through the centuries...

Edited by Infidel
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 21:44

How can the greeks and ancient macedonians be the same? Wasn't there any kind of ethnical mixing throughout the centuries? Only if you're meaning ancient greeks and ancient macedonians.

I think that modern greek ethnicity has little to do to that of ancient times... 

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 10:32
I think i can presume that there is some degree of rivalry between greece and macedonia, and greece and turkey?
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 10:39
Apparently yes...
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

I think i can presume that there is some degree of rivalry between greece and macedonia, and greece and turkey?

The last time I heard an example of this fine, but subtle Norwegian humour was when Norway beat England at soccer, sometime in the Middle Ages, and your commentator went on about how you gave Margret Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson.......a hell of a beating. Very funny.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 12:53
Originally posted by Exorsis C

Well, if you ask some people from Skne they will actually tell you that they are being occupied by Sweden and want to be liberated. Read the book Skneland by Uno Rnnblom if you don't believe me.

Yes I'm very aware of that, since I'm currently studying at the university of Lund (can't stand the place, I'll move back to my beloved forrests in Vrmland and study there after summer). My Sknian landlord at the farm where I'm lodging actually speaks about us as "the swedes" 

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 17:03
Well, this comes as a cliche, but for China it wud definitely be Japan...and now politically wud be the US. This main factor would be the events of WW2 when the Japanese invaded China(Nanking incident, sex slavery, beheadings, Manchuria etc.) .This comes as a parody, as Japan and China are basically of the same people and share many cultural similiarities(as do Korea, China, Vietnam and Japan)Legend tells that the tyrannical first emperor of China sent a group of youths to recover the Elixir of Life, but they escaped and settled down in some eastern islands, which came to be known as the Ryukyu islands(old name for Japan). Buddhism also arrived in Japan through China, and so did many other cultural norms
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 06:35

FRANCE...

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 10:30
Generally for Finns, there are the Swedes and the Russians, but only Russians are hated to the point of threatening behaviour. The Swedes are thought to be dumb and gay(not my opinion though). I think both are hated because they have ruled Finland. Other than that, there is an increasing amount of overall xenophobia due to the recent refugees taken, strating from the Vietnamese in the 70's.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:07

Well because I'm from Balkan district you can imagine how many they are... but I DON'T HATE them I just don't like them. Well on the first place-Turks. The reason is simple - Ottoman's slavery! On the second place all others balkans nations except this from far west and Albania. Why - the key word for most Balkans arguments is Macedonia.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:56

THE ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ignorant also have an irrational contempt for the Irish- by the by i blame the english- completly ignorant that ireland is their ancestoral home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>