Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue planet: deep sea (bbc doc.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue planet: deep sea (bbc doc.)
    Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 09:24
I watched it and its fking great if you ask me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-a6gVg2BRE
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 09:49
I agree - Blue Planet was a masterpiece. My favourite segment would have to be the Sardine feeding frenzy off Natal, South Africa, with the dolphins, sharks, gannets, whales and sardines (of course...).
Do you have any favourite segments?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 00:20

Is there a difference between what the british saw and what was shown in america?  I thought I saw that the british version had a male narrator while the one broadcast in america has sigourney weaver as narrator.Confused

Anyway I love this program, I saw it on sale for $50 but only had about 100 in my checking account at the time.  Now that its not so low I am definitely considering going back and buying a copy.

Edit:  I just realized what I am talking about is planet earth.EmbarrassedConfused

Edited by Justinian - 19-Jul-2007 at 00:22
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 03:31
Don't worry. I know that the English and Australian versions of Blue Planet and Planet Earth are narrated by only the greatest, Attenborough.
Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 04:10

Cant believe the David Attenborough series life on earth is now 28 years old, everybody I know seems to have a copy of the book that accompanied the series.

Theres a 24 DVD disk box set of his works on sale in the BBC shop

Ill have to start dropping hints now in time for Christmas

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 04:24
Blue planet was definitely great, but I preferred his less glossy earlier series, just because I was sure what I was seeing was really there. Like when you see a leopard chasing a baboon nowadays, the chances are that it's two seperate events edited to look like single footage. That's why the baboon gets away most of the time. Like how do they know which way the animals are going to run, or which tree the baboon will climb? Of course i'm talking about second rate shows, not Attenborough's, he kinda insists on realism.

Just don't believe all you see..!
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 09:15
The was one unintentionally funny shot where David Attanborough stands as the usual Mr Cool in a bat cave. He was saying bats have an amazing sense  of direction through their inbuilt radar and rarely ever hit anything. WHACK - one the little beasts flew straight into the side of his head! 
elenos
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 09:22
Hilarious! He has experienced several embarrassing moments out in the field, another example where he gets continuously charged by a territorial male Capercaillie (bird).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSj5XcByuA
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 18:39
Yeah! Capercaillie rules! He did try facing it but fell over!
elenos
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 18:45
Originally posted by Justinian

Is there a difference between what the british saw and what was shown in america?  I thought I saw that the british version had a male narrator while the one broadcast in america has sigourney weaver as narrator.Confused

Anyway I love this program, I saw it on sale for $50 but only had about 100 in my checking account at the time.  Now that its not so low I am definitely considering going back and buying a copy.

Edit:  I just realized what I am talking about is planet earth.EmbarrassedConfused

I think it's a pretty common phenomena. Most US documentaries shown in the UK are re-narrated by a British narrator. I presume it's the same in reverse in the US. (Funnily enough it's not so with Australian docs though which the original narrator is left).

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 22:55
We do get English and American commentators in Australia but I never take much notice, being a Nature Worshipper I follow all natural history shows.
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply