Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Control/Gun Ownership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Control/Gun Ownership
    Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 17:59
I am and always have been against guns, I've expressed this before. The British ban on Handguns was a great idea and the result of a horrific incident. Since then, no such incident has occurred in over 10 years.

In my opinion, banning guns stops Massacres. It will not reduce gun crime, but will stop crimes such as the one we saw in Virginia fairly easily. If kids and deranged people cannot EASILY get hold of guns, their rampages will quickly stop. The fact that in most of the massacres ACCROSS THE WORLD have occurred because the person involved has been able to get a gun easily or has already owned the gun they used.

Gun crime in big cities is a FACT, it will continue always. However, I live in one of the worst Gun Crime areas of London. I have not seen a gun, seen a gun crime or directly experienced anything to do with gun crime - nor has my family. It goes on generally between people who are already basically criminals or in criminal related gangs. It will not stop, as Maharbbal expressed guns are available to criminals if they want them.

However, I believe that if guns are only available in criminal circles, the massacres in schools etc will not happen or are certainly less likely to happen.

As for Gun control in the US, its not easy to do the lobbys in favour of guns are strong. I don't even know if gun control in the US can ever work.

But the fact is, in the UK it does work, it worked overnight.

No private citizen should have the right to wield such lethal force at their whim.

Indeed. This is the problem. People believe they should have the right to kill someone if they threaten their property in anyway. Which I think is ridiculous. Taking justice into your own hands is against that Justice. You should not be dealing out punishments in the street. That is what society is about, what is civilisation if people go around shooting people that commit crimes.

Yes, if your life is threatened - which means if anyone enters your home or attacks you, then you have the right to use what means is neccessary. If they die as a result of that, fine. However, a Gun really does just lead to 'shoot first, ask questions later'. It also leads to criminals doing the same, 'shoot first, rob later'. Personally, I'd rather be mugged by a big guy with a knife, then be mugged by any person with a gun.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:15

Originally posted by Ovidius

I am and always have been against guns, I've expressed this before. The British ban on Handguns was a great idea and the result of a horrific incident. Since then, no such incident has occurred in over 10 years.In my opinion, banning guns stops Massacres. It will not reduce gun crime, but will stop crimes such as the one we saw in Virginia fairly easily. If kids and deranged people cannot EASILY get hold of guns, their rampages will quickly stop. The fact that in most of the massacres ACCROSS THE WORLD have occurred because the person involved has been able to get a gun easily or has already owned the gun they used. Gun crime in big cities is a FACT, it will continue always. However, I live in one of the worst Gun Crime areas of London. I have not seen a gun, seen a gun crime or directly experienced anything to do with gun crime - nor has my family. It goes on generally between people who are already basically criminals or in criminal related gangs. It will not stop, as Maharbbal expressed guns are available to criminals if they want them.However, I believe that if guns are only available in criminal circles, the massacres in schools etc will not happen or are certainly less likely to happen. As for Gun control in the US, its not easy to do the lobbys in favour of guns are strong. I don't even know if gun control in the US can ever work. But the fact is, in the UK it does work, it worked overnight.
No private citizen should have the right towield such lethal force at their whim.
Indeed. This is the problem. People believe they should have the right to kill someone if they threaten their property in anyway. Which I think is ridiculous. Taking justice into your own hands is against that Justice. You should not be dealing out punishments in the street. That is what society is about, what is civilisation if people go around shooting people that commit crimes.Yes, if your life is threatened - which means if anyone enters your home or attacks you, then you have the right to use what means is neccessary. If they die as a result of that, fine. However, a Gun really does just lead to 'shoot first, ask questions later'. It also leads to criminals doing the same, 'shoot first, rob later'. Personally, I'd rather be mugged by a big guy with a knife, then be mugged by any person with a gun.

You have a right to your faulty logic, but I really do not care about world opinion. People kill people not guns. If you ban guns and destroy the 2nd Amendment then people will find other ways to kill such as; bombs, cars, knifes and yes black market guns. I am not totally against some level of gun control and background checks but a total ban - it could lead to a civil war in the U.S. This is a very touchy subject here and most people in the east half of Washington State, Montana and Idaho are very pro gun ownership. There are millions of legal gun ownders in the U.S. and it is sad a few incidents like this give legal gun owners a bad name.
I will try and get a web site I heard about that will give you the facts about guns in the USA.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:28
Originally posted by Adalwolf

What is your stance on gun control and gun ownership? As an American, I view guns as my right. As long as somebody is properly trained and is not a criminal they have the right to own a gun. Furthermore, in the wake of the recent shooting I feel that if several students or teachers had carried a handgun they could have stopped the killers rampage and saved many of the victims lives. This is true for any place where somebody snaps and goes on a rampage: people will have chance to fight back and defend themselves. Also, if everybody had a gun, people would think twice before trying to do criminal acts such as robbery, rape, breaking and entering, etc. What do you think?

Amen,but most of these are not aware of the real reason our founding fathers created the 2nd Amendment. It is a responsibility though and can be taken away. If someone cannot get a legal gun there are plenty in the black market. China got caught in the late 90's selling ilegal guns to LA gangs- our good trading partner.

I once heard an ex officer from Romania testify that one fear the Russians had of having a coventional war with America is that the citizens are too well armed - Afganistan.

It is a right I will fight for but hopefully only in the political arena.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:30
'faulty logic'. The fact is, guns are an extremely easy, very impersonal way of killing people.

Bombs require skill to make. Knives are slow and very personal. Other methods again, its just not easy. Guns are the simplest way, in a country where guns are easy to get hold of, to kill people. They are also the most common weapon of choice in nations where guns are readily available. So yes my 'faulty logic' is really the problem here.

As I said IN MY POST, ban guns and people will still kill people with guns, I don't deny that.

'and its a few sad incidents'. A few? how many does it take. They are almost yearly. In Britain it took one horrific incident - Dunblane in 1996. People stood up and said WE DO NOT WANT TO SEE CHILDREN BEING MURDERED AGAIN. We do not want to see a school shooting in our country again, regardless of any laws or anything. Very soon afterwards the law was created and put into place.

Since that time there have been NO massacres in British Schools. Since then there have been approximately 10 in American schools? I personally think that it is faulty logic on the other side.

But yes, I realise in the US it would be difficult. Its not been easy in the UK, we still have murders with guns. But Guns, like I said, are in CRIMINAL circles in the main. Hence, the normal person that commits a massacre cannot or cannot easily get hold of a gun, certainly not without suspicion from people who know that person.

I just don't understand how anyone can see 5, under 7yr old children get murdered and stand by liberal gun laws.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:46
Why should the right to bear arms be taken away from the majority when its only a few deranged individuals who commit massacres? Isn't that like punishing the entire class when one child is acting up? It doesn't make sense.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:49
While I admire Adalwolf for standing up for the conservative view on gun ownership, I will also say that he should have been able to predict the outcome of this discussion before it started. 

It is the perfect opportunity for certain people to bash America and yet again make it seem like the country has absolutely no rule of law, that all its citizens are gun-toting vigilantes, and that people are being gunned down in the street on a genocidal level because of so-called "lax gun laws." Ermm

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 19-Apr-2007 at 18:53
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:55
Originally posted by eaglecap

Amen,but most of these are not aware of the real reason our founding fathers created the 2nd Amendment. It is a responsibility though and can be taken away. If someone cannot get a legal gun there are plenty in the black market. China got caught in the late 90's selling ilegal guns to LA gangs- our good trading partner.

I once heard an ex officer from Romania testify that one fear the Russians had of having a coventional war with America is that the citizens are too well armed - Afganistan.

IIRC the 2nd Amendment was meant to apply to the right of militias to bear arms and defend the country, it wasn't meant to allow the average citizen to take the law into his own hands.

All to often gun owners' weapons are turned against them and stolen weapons end up on the street quite often. Unless you're willing to invest in quality security systems and adequate gun lockers, having firearms can actually make you a target for crime.

Edited by DukeC - 19-Apr-2007 at 18:55
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:55
I knew this was going to happen, but I thought I'd voice my opinion, even if it contrary to the majority of AE. I genuinly do like to hear everyone elses opinions, though, even if I do disagree with some of them. 
     Edward Abbey
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:56

Why should the right to bear arms be taken away from the majority when its only a few deranged individuals who commit massacres? Isn't that like punishing the entire class when one child is acting up? It doesn't make sense.

You are right Adalwolf, and there are obviously strong opinions from both sides.

However such analogies are really not relevant.

To say that taking away guns is some sort of punishment or means that most the people will miss out I believe is wrong. The concept of ownership of guns is the starting point of the problem, in my opinion. Why can you not look at it from the perspective of a victim. Say, why should we have a deadly weapon that is being used to kill people in such horrendous ways. Something like that?

Does it make sense to own a lethal weapon, that could be played with by a young child, or yourself.

I respect that this issue will NEVER be solved, but I believe there are better arguments for the ownership of guns than this.

Sacrificng a lethal weapon for the greater good of society. Surely thats a good thing, not a punishment?
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:56
Originally posted by DukeC

Originally posted by eaglecap

IIRC the 2nd Amendment was meant to apply to the right of militias to bear arms and defend the country, it wasn't meant to allow the average citizen to take the law into his own hands.

All to often gun owners' weapons are turned against them and stolen weapons end up on the street quite often. Unless you're willing to invest in quality security systems and adequate gun lockers, having firearms can actually make you a target for crime.

As far as I know, the courts have never made a ruling that firearms are only for militias.
     Edward Abbey
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:01

I knew this was going to happen, but I thought I'd voice my opinion, even if it contrary to the majority of AE. I genuinly do like to hear everyone elses opinions, though, even if I do disagree with some of them.

It is likewise with me, to be sure.  I just thought I would point this out as my observation.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by Ovidius

You are right Adalwolf, and there are obviously strong opinions from both sides.

However such analogies are really not relevant.

To say that taking away guns is some sort of punishment or means that most the people will miss out I believe is wrong. The concept of ownership of guns is the starting point of the problem, in my opinion. Why can you not look at it from the perspective of a victim. Say, why should we have a deadly weapon that is being used to kill people in such horrendous ways. Something like that?

Does it make sense to own a lethal weapon, that could be played with by a young child, or yourself.

I respect that this issue will NEVER be solved, but I believe there are better arguments for the ownership of guns than this.

Sacrificng a lethal weapon for the greater good of society. Surely thats a good thing, not a punishment?

I agree with you to a point, but if rights of individuals are taken away for the 'good of society', where does it stop? How long will it be until individuals have almost no rights. I feel that banning guns would be a slippery slope, because it would take away a right given to US citizens by the constitution in the name of 'security'. That sounds a bit like a...dystopia? Wasn't it Jefferson (I think it was him) who said something to the effect of "Those who value security of freedom deserve neither." (I'm not sure if these are the exact words, but I think this captures of the meaning of the quote).
     Edward Abbey
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:21

SECOND AMENDMENT

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of

a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms

shall not be infringed.

It is a little ambiguous, the first part refers to militias but the second to the people. America was a different country at that time though and depended on it's militias to defend the country from outside threats.

I do understand how many American feel about their guns, my step-dad is a life-long member of the NRA and had one of those "You can have my gun, when you take it from my cold dead hands" bumper stickers. Growing up in Canada though, I appreciate how gun control has kept a lot of the same violence found in American cities from being as prevalent up here. That's changed in recent years though, as many more handguns have shown up on our streets due to the growing drug trade.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:30
I disagree Adalwolf, if you take away something for the greater good based on certain horrific incidents, it does not lead to more things being taken away.

It is far more likely to be an exception.

Without attempting to come accross as Anti-American, which I certainly don't believe I am. I believe that the 'war on terror' and the acceptance by the American people of changes to the law to accept torture and allow their civil liberties to be eroded are perhaps more of a threat then any potential occurance if guns were outlawed. Lots of changes in American law have occurred as a reaction to 9/11, which i think, partially is fair but certainly went too far. What is really needed is a measured reaction, I think forming new laws on Guns or at least taking steps to tighten laws on guns would be a positive reaction to a number of horrific incidents.

As for the constitution, although I realise that this is the 'holy grail' of the American nation, I think holding a 200 year old set of ideas up to the modern world is perhaps a bit too much. Ammending something for a world that has changed so substantially over the years is not dangerous but important. Fluid constitutions are extremely positive, so long as they are not meaningless! They should reflect the values of the society, not restrict the potential for positive change.

Anyhow, I'd suggest that the biggest threat to American life is reaction to terrorist. Another serious Terrorist attack in the US could easily cause the complete collapse of the American constitution.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:44
You bring up good points about the Patriout Act (which does take away some civil liberties), and I was hoping someone would bring it up!

If the government is starting to take away civil liberties, now is definatly NOT the time to take away the guns of the populace, otherwise there would be absolutely no deterrent for the government to take away even more liberties.

Again, I end with a quote, but like before, I don't remember who said it:
"And armed populace is the greatest deterrent to a prospective tyrant."
     Edward Abbey
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:56
hehehe, twisting something on its head.

I think this came up elsewhere to be honest. What exactly would the 'people' do, start a revolution against an oppressive government? It would only ever be civil war and it would only ever be a minority acting.

I don't believe an armed populace is a detterant at all. Infact, due to hte nature of that armed populace and its leanings, they are more likely to be a hinderance to a revolutionary majority, not supportive of anti-tyrant fighters.

I also stand by Ghandi in everything. The most powerful protest is the peaceful protest.

'Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary'
"Nonviolence is a weapon of the strong"

Even though this makes me sound like a Hippy, I believe Ghandi has Historical precedence over all this. He overthrew a tyrannical leadership with peace. Passing his statue everyday merely makes me more sure of the importance of peace over violence, even in struggles. Sacrifice will make more of an example then selfish violence.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Cezar

I mean, if you see two people firing at eachother how do you know who's the "good guy" and who's the "bad guy"? They're not wearing labels or uniforms.

Asking that question is unamerican Cezar
Originally posted by Decebal

Ask yourself a question: could this fellow have gone on a rampage and killed 30 people armed with a knife, or a bat? The posession of a gun makes it much easier for this type of people to kill.

Exactly. If no-one has a gun, then it becomes much easier to defend yourself. If your that worried about security in a disarmed society all a person needs is a bow. You can't go on a killing rampage with a bow.
Originally posted by Genghis

And indeed, legalized guns does make it easier for criminals to get guns, but they will regardless.

It depends how effective the police are at enforcing a ban. In America I doubt that the police could ever prevent guns getting into criminal hands, making a gun ban counter-productive. Gun bans in more controlled countries are much easier to enforce, and more likely to suceed.

I think this is another argument that you should not perform cross-culture and cross country. For Europe and the South Pacific, gun control is an excellent thing for all the posted reasons. For America and most of the rest of the world, it is impossible to enforce and therefore counter-productive to try. This does not imply that either group is superior to the other, they are just different.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 20:49
There's a town in Texas where all citizens are required to gun. It has one of the lowest crimes rates in the State of the Union. Maybe we should just require all citizens to own one!LOL
Virginia has one of the most relaxed laws on buying a gun, there's no waiting time for one. And you can be considered to have a mental illness, but you have to be mentally incompasitated not to get one in Virginia. If there was a waiting period, maybe 32 students could have been saved if they looked at his background.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 23:03

What is the rationale behind the constitutional right to bear arms?

The rational is that if a government becomes tyrannical it is up to the citizens to correct the situation, similar to the mandate of heaven.

No private citizen should have the right to wield such lethal force at their whim.

So we should ban baseballs, fenceposts, automobiles, rat poison? People will find ways to kill each other, we are very good at that.

Ask yourself a question: could this fellow have gone on a rampage and killed 30 people armed with a knife, or a bat? The posession of a gun makes it much easier for this type of people to kill.

Decebal although I respect your opinions, I disagree with your assumption, that only a gun could kill as many people as he did, the information to build a deadly explosive device is found easily enough and the construction of such a devise could easily be concealed until said person attacked. Many of the chemicals in such a devise are easily purchased and harmless, you can't ban something that may be dangerous.

Oh by the way: Damn you red clay for expressing my opinion first.

Gun control in the US is much more complex than it would be elsewhere.  Your dealing with one of the cornerstones of American culture.  The right to carry arms is provided for in the Constitution and there is a substantial percentage of the population that will not allow that to be messed with.  I am not talking about Chuck Heston and his boys either.  Consider this statistic from the early 90's,  The State of Pennsylvania alone had more registered firearms than the US Army owns.  Notice I said registered, in an anonymous survey 40% of the legal gunowners in that state stated they owned more than one unregistered firearm.  And this isn't even the "from my cold dead hands" heartland.

This I thoroughly agree with firearms have been a part of american culture simply because up until just recently america for the most part was still frontier country, and sometimes you only have yourself to rely on in the frontier. Maybe the rest of the world seeing us as cowboys isn't too far off.

Wow, DukeC, I stand 100% behind your statements of the real reason of the 2nd Amendment. It is meant to apply to militias of whom every male citizen should belong too and these militias should be controlled by the states and not the federal government (The national guard is not a militia, especially if they can be sent to other nations Dead)

You can't go on a killing rampage with a bow.

I don't know, I've seen what some bow hunters can do.......

Virginia has one of the most relaxed laws on buying a gun, there's no waiting time for one. And you can be considered to have a mental illness, but you have to be mentally incompasitated not to get one in Virginia.

For some reason I believe that this will be changed very shortly.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 00:18
I think missed in all the anti- firearm discussion here is the fact that many countries such as Switzerland or Finland have even more "pro-gun" societys than the US. ANd except for that thing for one incident in Bern, I do not remember any thing there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>