Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Role of Kings in S Asia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Role of Kings in S Asia
    Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 06:54
This news article set me thinking do Kings have any role to play in S Asia.

Tehri gets a new Maharaja

By IE
Monday April 16, 02:54 AM

After 60 long years, the people of Garhwal will once again witness the "coronation" of a Maharaja.

Manujendra Shah, son of of the last Maharaja of the erstwhile Tehri state, Manvendra Shah, will be anointed in a religious ceremony at the Narendranagar palace on Monday. Badri Prasad Namboodri, head priest of the famous Badrinath temple, will perform the 'Raj Tilak'.

Following Manvendra's death in January, the appointment of a new Maharaja became necessary as tradition dictates that the announcement of the annual opening of the 'kapats' or doors of the Badrinath shrine can only be made by the Maharaja of Tehri.

Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 08:49

Hi Songria my dad's roots are in Garhwal, the ruling family there are the Panwar Rajputs.

Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:40
Originally posted by Rajputana

Hi Songria my dad's roots are in Garhwal, the ruling family there are the Panwar Rajputs.

My ID is Sorgina Mr.Rajputana.Embarrassed

Nice to know your dad is from Garhwal and thanx for the link {it needs to be updated though as it shows Tehri Garhwal still being a part of Uttar Pradesh}.Does the white and green flag belong to the erstwhile Princely State of Tehri Garhwal.

I'd like to discuss the issue from a wholistic point of view.AFAIK all possessions of the Kings were taken over by Indian Govt. after Independece and most of the authority they have now is ceremonial.Ofcourse some royal families are engaged in politics.Do you think past rulers of India/S Asia have anything to contribute in the era of democracy or should they just fade away.
Rajputana View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rajputana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 13:32

Sorgina, its not my link but yes it needs to be kept updated but still a fairly thorough source nonetheless. 

Indian Government was not so much the culprit in the conspiracy against the Royals of India as was the Arya Samaj and Pandit Nehru and his overrated Congress Party puppets. 

As per the era of democracy we have many Rajput politicians in our ranks and many are working for the betterment of Rajputs, while many others are out for personal gains.  As far as Theri/Pauri and Garhwal are concerned the royals are very active in public affairs of the area.
ashokharsana View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote ashokharsana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 01:13

Hi Sorgina,

I should correct Mr. Rajputana here as The Royal family of Tehri Garhwal is Panwar Gurjars, They are also related to The royal family Of Landhora (Khubar Panwar)

For reference see :

King of Tehri-Garhwal Lt.Col. HH Maharaja Manvender Shah Panwar

Regards

Ashok Harsana

The Real Ranas, The Real Emperors of India. http://ashokharsana.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=gurjars
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 03:35
Thanx a lot for the link Ashok.It is very informative.

My intention is not to find out lineages of the present rulers but whether they have any role to play in a democratic setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply