Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Writing a game.. your help appreciated :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing a game.. your help appreciated :)
    Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 23:01

I think that they probably deal with any resource so...But you could put gold and fur or linen.

And increasing both income and capacity.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 09:22

OK, they'll gain you more gold on any sold resource and especially linen, I had that in mind too. Also, cost and training time of merchants is decreased (so this increases capacity indirectly), and the population grows with 25% on first completing the development.

(if anyone has any other (half)ideas that might be cool, keep posting..)

Whatever you do, don't
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:49

I still need 2 things for slavic. I know slavic peoples were friendly folk who had a common language, but I don't know how to integrate this in the game. I thought about making all Slavic players share line of sight but I already have this for the romans (and i need something that can apply to seperate cities anyway, line of sight goes for the whole tribe of course).

Any Ideas for Slavic anyone? What should they be good at?

Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 16:22
They all share common faith - christian orthodox faith. Think you could put some extra skill in body-to-body combat. Like, you know, they're kind of courageous. Perhaps not.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 17:13

Hmm maybe I'll make them fight better on Slavic soil (ie. provincies of cities under Slavic control). It has come to my understanding they're pretty defensive anyway, so that would be good. I'll make them have husbandry, that eliminates the odds of having a bad harvest.

All I need now is one passive ability for them (that applies to the player as a whole, or every single group and city).

Hmm game technically it might also be cool to have them either take less casulties from plagues or have better spies or thiefs, or what would also be cool is enabling them to 'sidestep' fights if the group is outnumbered. But I don't know of a historical basis to associate this with...

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:41

Originally posted by Teup

But I don't know of a historical basis to associate this with...

Me neither...

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 08:35

What is the tribe named Islamic?

While putting the westerns in so details,you  should put Turks,Persians and Arabs in different names.Each of them were strong in different periods and times.Please separate them if you can.

I preparated a small tech tree:

Turks

Unique unit:"Topuz"(Horse Rider with mace,Quick and too strong,bald and have great muscles,he is an evil marauder)

Unique tech:"The Art of War":All horsemen has +1 attack and armour(and the the ordinary units become pretty stronger than in the other nations' ordinary units)

Arabs

Unique Unite:Zealot(camel men which is stronger against other cavalry men,he has good HP,they can walk in deserts for weeks.)

Unique Tech:"Jihad":While fighting against the westerns,warriors have much HP  and have attack bonus

Persians

Unique Unit:Royal Elephant(warrior elephant like in AOEII)

Unique Tech:"Respection":if the king or a comrade near their warriors,the warriors have +2 attack(it can change,for example the elephants don't change their attacks while the cavalries +4 attack instead of +2 with this tech)

Hope these helps

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 09:03

Thanks for your ideas Jagatai Khan. Because it's an MMORTS, fights can take place if the players are offline (sleeping maybe ), so the really detailed combat abilities I cannot add (combat is just settled instantly), but I'll do my best to convert it into something i can make

Sadly, I cannot separate them. See, I already have 8 civs, if I'd split them up I'd end up with more civs than age of empires and i'm making this game all by myself

Oh, I thought about Mathematics, making buildings stonger or built faster. I also thought about Jihad, but the game isn't much detailed on the military side (the civic side is alot more detailed) so I'm looking for other applications to it - just making them stronger wouldn't really add something new, you can already upgrade your weaponry for that. However the horses will be faster and cause more damage

thanks for your replies, keep going if you have something (especially slavic and arab) . Random facts on their society and lifestyle also help a great deal.

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:42

Did you name all of three Arabs?

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 15:00

What would you call them?

Don't be sad though, each main civ provides different tribe names, so saxons, teutons, bataves, etc. all go under germanic. Similarly, saracens and moors go under Arabs or Islamic. I could have Saracens, Moors, Turks, Arabs and Persians as suggested names for the player's tribe (so a player can still be the Turks). So they don't make a difference, but at least they're there the difference between the main civ groups isn't all that large anyway, the abilities also partly depend on the location a group settles in, as mentioned

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 16:05
perhaps you can call them 'Eastern'.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 11:56
Or simply muslims, for it is the faith that binds them. I think you could put +2 in some kind of skill for science (maths, astronomy, etc) because science was flourishing in the Umayyads Empire and was something that all muslims dedicated to in the begining.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 11:56
Better yet, the Infidels!
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 14:24

hehe

Ok, as I already have eastmen referring to tribes from asia, islamic or muslim will do.

Hmm I'd still really like to add the sidestep ability, that gives like a 50% chance for an outnumbered group to avoid a fight when charged... any civ or location i could associate this with, anyone? Can have something to do with agility, but also the ability to estimate the enemy tactics maybe..

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 16:45
Originally posted by Teup

Hmm I'd still really like to add the sidestep ability, that gives like a 50% chance for an outnumbered group to avoid a fight when charged... any civ or location i could associate this with, anyone? Can have something to do with agility, but also the ability to estimate the enemy tactics maybe..

Perhaps you could make something like that available in Basque Country.
The Basques utterly defeated a much stronger Frankish army at Roncevallesin 793 (not sure about the year).
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 13:59
That's excellent, haven't got much on the spanish side of europe so I'll add it, thanks
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:10

Skill for sailors in the iberian peninsula. Could bring more income from other lands and a better degree in innovativeness.

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:34
military or fishing?
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 15:27
Both
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 06:12

The game is doing very good, and I must say, I'm really addicted to it already, and I'm only playing it on my own with some roaming CPU groups.. imagine what it's like when multiple players join in

Hmm I can't afford being addicted to a game AND write it.. takes so much time . Here's a picture of the current situation, viewed from the CPU's perspective:

This 'world' has only been running for a week or so, after a month there should be many cities with large and expaning territories (the coloured circles around the cities). It uses some real city names based on a map it contains, the others are created from random particles.

Whatever you do, don't
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>