Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Writing a game.. your help appreciated :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing a game.. your help appreciated :)
    Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 15:35

Hi guys,

So happy to see there's actually a forum like this

Now, I have some questions for you. See, I'm writing a mass multiplayer online strategy game (it's a sequel to a previous game i wrote, which was quite a success). Don't freak out, it's mostly text based (but it does have a map). I've always been highly dissatisfied with the game systems of like Age of Empires and Warcraft, since it fails - greatly - at reproducing the whole 'conflict between tribes and cities' idea (it's always merely a military camp used for non stop training of fighters, not nearly a village or city, even Rise of Nations comes down to this ). My game is very different (I abolished the whole training of units system to start with), but i won't explain it all now.

Basically, it's about migrating through Europe (yes, as always.. Europe), taking place between like 0-1250 AD (so bit of a mixture here and there). Each player makes up his own tribe, and there are 8 main tribe civs to choose from: Byzantine, Celtic, Islamic, Roman, Norse, Slavic, Germanic and Eastmen (the latter is a repository for nomadic people from the east, like the Huns). Sooo, finally my first question, is this an OK division? or am I still really missing something or should i get rid of one?

Second, I'm giving these civs unique developments, 3 per civ (like urbanisation for the Romans, iconography for the Byzantines, druidism for the Celts, and so on), plus 1 development per area a group settles in. For example, Hungary and surroundings has Vampires, which reduces burglary. So my second question do you guys have any ideas for upgrades, either for the civs or for the regions? The civs aren't too much of a problem i think (except for Slavic and Islamic), but the areas are really hard to fill. I have nothing for Poland, Russia, Switzerland, to name but a few. So basically, I'm looking for bits of medieval local culture that could fit in more than one civ (like the vampires), or things the environment has to offer, like woad in England (which has been used by both Celts and Romans if I'm not mistaking). I'd really appreciate your ideas!!!

Thanks

Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 16:51
You could place archer (upgrades) in Switzerland. Or a safe place to store money?
And if the game starts in 0 perhaps it's best to change Islamic into something like Arab and Byzantine into Greek.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 04:44

Thanks

My game doesn't feature archers (in fact, it doesn't feature any specialized military unit types at the moment), but the money storage may be a good idea.

The main time will be, say, dark ages. I think Byzantine will do. Arab for Islamic sound better, I'll change that. If I can feature them at all - still don't really have upgrades for them.

I'm eager for more replies, you ppl don't have to give complete rules or upgrades of course, just if you have some ideas on what a civilization or a region should be good at (even if you think it's useless), just post!!

Whatever you do, don't
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 07:59

Ok, I'm putting in archery after all. Actually, I'm making it 2 abilities: Archery for hunting (groups can support +10% hunters), and militairy archery (groups damage nearby hostile groups).

Now, you guys any thoughts on which one should be associated with what region (or civ)?

Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 10:17
Do you have Greek Fire for the Byzantines/Greeks?
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 10:23

Hmm no, but according to this source it looks pretty efficient, indeed..

I'll add that too

I'll probably have to remove a current development and draw more fire (which is always pretty hard).. oh well..

Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 19:57
Romans should have a special ability at politics (like treasons and stuff, but also the maximum management skill)!
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 09:26

Yeah you're right.. I will give them +1 Organisation from the start, which means they can divide their men in more seperate groups (and thus perform more tasks at the same time). They already have the intelligence ability, which makes all Roman players share line of sight. They also capture cities more easily and gain more tax at those.

I still need to assign (military) archery and arched hunt to civs/areas... I don't know which one to put in Switzerland (if any)...

Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 10:45
Good archmen could be asians like mongols. Or germanic, english, etc. Arabs are good horsemen and could have more moral/unity points 'cause they're usually very religious driven.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 12:20
Ok, I'll definitely add the Arabs development, making groups with horses move faster and fight better. I think I'll scatter the two archery developments just all over the place a bit
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 12:39

Originally posted by Teup

Each player makes up his own tribe, and there are 8 main tribe civs to choose from: Byzantine, Celtic, Islamic, Roman, Norse, Slavic, Germanic and Eastmen (the latter is a repository for nomadic people from the east, like the Huns).

I think that instead of eastmen you should put Mongols or Turks. And what about Iberians?

PS - Instead of arabs you could name them moors or saracens. It's more stylish.

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 10:39

Tnx again for the reply. Mongols are also under eastmen. Turks and Iberians don't share their lifestyle i think, but i could be wrong... Basically I put eastmen in to get the lazy players off their buts and handling threats instead of just do a little trading and upgrading in their safe little empires, and I think Huns and Goths can do a fine job here 

Yes, Moors and Saracens are under Arab, like Saxons and Teutons are under Germanic. Celtic by the way only contains Celts so far, would be nice to add something to their family as well...

Whatever you do, don't
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 10:58

This game sounds great.

Maybe some civs can be more used to a certain type of weather that they experience where they live than the others attacking them?

F.example Arabs are more used to heat.Maybe it could affect the fighting?

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 12:29

I now use a couple of circa 100x100 pixel maps of europe for several things (each group is in 1 pixel), like wood- and stone richness, the type of local upgrade in each spot, and which civ can start there. I could add one for temperature, nice idea, but i already have 'rough terrain' sectors on the map for the alps, Norway, Africa, that sort of thing.. hmm I should only add really useful things, to prevent it from getting too complicated, but I'll keep it in mind, it might tie the civs to their 'real' locations instead of just walking around everywhere

Oh, and there is however a local nomad development in the south east, countering the effect of hard terrain (which slows down and decreases food gathering by the roaming groups). 

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 12:52

Well, that would be nice to tie them to their real locations. It would make it more realistic.

One thing you could add to spice up things a bit would be to put in Jews (pretty much everywhere) and Gypsies (also everywhere but especially in Eastern Europe - Hungary, Romania and such).

Special skills:

Jews: +1 in commerce and trading/-1 in stability; Gypsies: +1 in mystique - like higher moral for everybody -  (through fortune telling, tarot, etc.)/+2 in robbery risk (like to the money the player has).

A player could choose to have them or not in his tribe (since they are nomads) depending on pro's and con's.

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 13:32

Infidel, that's cool - I could put those in as local developments, since i have so little for eastern europe. I could also make gypsies increase robbery from enemy nations  . The jews would increase the amount you can trade per year and the money you gain, but they make the city also more likely to declare it's independence or convert back to it's original owner if it's a captured city. This can actually happen - there's a gauge for the group (city)'s happiness, if they get payed too little they eventually get angry. That's the coolest feature - you're not building military camps, train people and destroy the enemy encampments, you really have cities that change ownership.

Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 13:52

That is one of the features I dig most in a game like that. Conquering is cool, warfare and all that is the core of the business. But one thing that keeps me really interested is managing the provinces you're annexing, administrating your lands (empire) and people. All the politics and revolution events that can happen.

That's one of the reason I enjoy so much EUII. Of course, you can enfocus more on AOE-like. I fancy the idea of including jews and gypsies since they are always disregarded despite having had social relevance in real life for ages!

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 14:01
There's one big disadvantage though - it's a MMORTS actually, and there game just goes on and on, so you might be governing some city for weeks, and then suddenly it gets captured... that's pretty.. binary.. I hope people won't get mad too much about this, there's nothing i can do to make it more gradual. I'll just have to stimulate having multiple cities at the same time so it doesn't come as big shock (technically, the server can handle 200 cities at any time (over a hundred variables each), so I think that will suffice, the only limitation is the human management capability ).
Whatever you do, don't
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 15:01

I just hope you can go through with that!

Cheers

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 08:01
What exactly should the jews do for trade? Increase capacity or increase income? Or both? And for what resources: Wood, Stone, Gold, Metal, Food, Linen, Fur or all?
Whatever you do, don't
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>