Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most heroic place of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most heroic place of your country
    Posted: 20-May-2005 at 03:05

& dont get me wrong, i respect all who fall defending someones life (theirown, family & similar...)

but it takes only a second of good will & clear thinking to realise that no war has ever solved a problem, only created new...

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 04:37

Dear Serdarot,

I can understand you. War is the worst thing that human can do.

But we have to get some lessons from what our ancestors did in the past and respect each other now.

On the other hand, war seems as if a reality of human nature. We have to think about how we can change this mind. I think that your rationality reminds me more materialist which cannot help to change the situation but serves nothing more than a romantic criticism.

The war can be prevented by only unmetarialistic way of thinking. The best way to understand this unmetarialism is trying to understand soldiers who sacrifice their lives in battlefields. It may seems as if a pradox but what is the cost of your life?

We have to understand their mind, we have to preserve our spiritual values and at the same time we have to understand "our enemies" by respecting them for the future to live together with them.

Otherwise your critics cannot bring solution to the problems that you complain about.  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 05:49
[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

What can I say about this? Turkish soldiers tried to help each other in that poor conditions and they even helped the Anzac soldiers who were dying...

Why they had to shoot eachother? To help eachother? [/QUOTE]

No, you got me wrong. I said during the battle, when the guns were being shut and bombardment was continueing, the enemy soldiers were trying to help each other, and they had peaceful relations, because they werent real enemies, but just forced to fight against each other. Anzacs were only colonial soldiers who were used to be sacrificed for the queen of Britain.

There is a legend which I was also an eyewitness of that no birds make this place dirty or noisy even though there are lots of birds in that region...

I do not concider bird singing as "making the place dirty", but it is irrelevant now... i know what you talk... i was on several such places... no birds singing, no other noise, strange fog years & years after the battle... we have several places like that in "ex-YU" countries, from Macedonia to Slovenia, old & new batle places

I didnt mean the bird singings with the dirt, but the bird excrements.

And no, you dont have any single places like Gallipoli in that region. Because our history is full of battles like Gallipoli, Manzikert etc., but yours is not. Because we cant accept living under others' rule, but you can. And this is why we are called Turks. If those values mean nothing to you, just dont try to empose your them to us, because our values are totally different than yours.

But it was worth for my ancestors. Their lifes werent such important when considered with the future of their wifes, sons and great sons... And dying with honor for God was the inheritence of their great ancestors... 

Reading such a sentences is giving me more worries than all that kriminal & similar outside...

Unfortunately, I see that you dont respect some national values . If you judge sacrificing yourself for greater purposes as a crime, we should just sit in our house with your family, and drink our milk, while the men are dying for our sons to have their freedom in the future.

HOW STUPPID YOU ARE??? ALL OF YOU???

What is heroic in killing other people?

isnt it forbiden by laws? what give us the right to kill some1 in war?

the "patriotismus" & "heroismus" are made up, you idiots...

It is "romantic" "patriotic" "heroic" story, PURE BRAINWASHING

think AGAIN: If those turkish Soldiers refused to fight, & their "enemies" as well, THEY WOULD ALL LIVE HAPPY WITH THEIR FAMILIES.

The right to protect yourself and your family/nation/believs/freedom gives you the total right of killing your enemy.

The thing heroic with killing other people in a war is to sacrifice your life bravely for a greater purpose than your single life. The lives of the whole future generations, your families, their freedom, and of course, your country and believs.

You call us brainwashed but in fact, brainwashing is the losing procedure of national identities and values. So here, I am not the one who is assimilated.

If those Turkish soldiers refused to fight with their enemies, they would live happily with their raped wives, with their new adopted language, with their sons/daughters who would never learn their past and their national identities/values, in their burned houses as happy converted Christians. They would become people like you, and they would be assimilated in the world's history as colonial slaves.

But if those things doesnt bother you, I am not here to discuss our values with cowardish ideas.

Is this your kind of ideal and happy lifestyle? If so, I dont want to live in the same way as some cowards live.

- NO NEED for HEARTBREAKING LETTERS to Mama, Wife & rest of the Family

is it so hard to UNDERSTAND that WAR IS NOT A SOLUTION???

you have to go in 1 & get yourself killed to realise it is stupid??

(war at all, & your taking part of it specialy)

i had luck to survive the Slovenian / Croatian War (meaning the fighting between the Yugoslav Army & the "separatists" in Slovenia & Croatia...)

you wanna know how many from my "kamaraden" are dead?

i guess it is faster if i tell you how many survived - FEW from 120!

Imagine, there is a war, & noone goes there...

p.s.

about topic: most heroic place in my country... my fathers / some1 fathers workin place, where they work hard 30 years for their families, every hospital where children are born.

1 mother is much more heroic than a soldier

the soldier is ready to die for something

the mother or the father who are prepared TO SPEND THEIR WHOLE LIVE dedicated to their children are much bigger heroes...

so much for now, kids.

The right to protect yourself and your family/nation/believs/freedom gives you the total right of killing your enemy.

Of course, I visited the museums and monumental cemeteries, and those heart breaking letters to families in Gallipoli. And then, I realized how could they easily leave their families. Because they sacrificed themselves for them. It isnt only for Gallipoli, but history witnessed lots of examples of such sacrifices. Maybe they prefered their families and their grandsons to live freely instead of their own lives.

Sometimes, war is the only solution for peace. I think you should understand it better than me, since you are a survivor of a bloody battle.

- HOW CAN YOU DIE FOR GOD??? GOD FORBIDS ALL KILLING!!! SUICIDE IS A DEADLY SIN IN CHRISTENTUM & IN THE MUSLIM WORLD

Please, if you dont know somethinbg, just dont write about it. You can die for God in Islam, as a "shehit". This is why all those Turkish soldiers in history could easily sacrifice their lives in wars. In the beginning, they believed they were dying for "Tenri", and they still believe it, as an ancient Turkic cultural element of being "yighit"s of "alp"s.

I totally agree with you that a mother is much more heroic than a soldier. This is why the soldiers could easily sacrifice their lives for their much more worthy mothers. Because those mothers were always ready to sacrifice themselves for their sons, and they alwasy sacrifice their whole lives for their sons/daughters. This is why mothers are that holy.

I wish one day, as a survivor of a war, you would realize that martyrs dont die for nonsense. Let them rest in peace...

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 13:08

Oguzoglu and Alparslan,

I think you dont have the right to comment on anyones identity. You dont even consider the Ottomans Turks, and say that you are Turcomans. You wrote many times that Ottomans are not your ancestors. You say that the Ottomans oppressed the Turks (by which you mean Turcoman nomads) in Anatolia, and then here you say Turks fought for their freedom in Gallipoli, because Turks cannot live without freedom? Make up your mind, man, are Ottomans Turks or not?

Back to the question, that nagging Turkophobe character is right for once, you failed to explain us why you think Gallipolli is the most heroic place in Turkey? Why havent you chosen the battles, for instance, during the Turkish war of resistance where the Turks defending their homeland were outnumbered and outgunned, but still won? Why not mention Antep, officially renamed Antep the Veteran after its people sent the French Army packing? And these are real Turkish victories, you know, not wars of the Ottomans. Maybe too many other ethnicities were involved in Antep for your liking, though, but in Gallipolli an important portion of Ottoman casualties were Arabs and Kurds and other non-Turks as well. 

Still, Ill help you with explaining things, because I think even though you believe in nationalist myths of racial purity and ethnic superiority, you can feel that there is something terribly wrong in denying your Ottoman ancestry, and know perfectly well, even though you are bending over backwards (i.e. making up silly arguments) not to admit that Turkish ethnicity and culture encompasses much more than that of nomadic Turcomans.

People believe Gallipoli is a heroic place, because that battle was such a huge one. 14 divisions deployed, with up to 250000 casualties at a time when the whole population of the whole empire was around 20 millions. Its (and in general the World Wars) repercussions were felt in every community, even more than those of the Turkish war of resistance that followed. Gallipoli was the last stand for the Ottomans, a 600 year old dynasty. And even as it was collapsing, in its darkest hour, it won the battle in Gallipoli. It was a heroic effort. Because of that the house of Osman, the sick man of Europe, actually survived a few years longer than all their arch-enemies, the Habsburgs and the Romanovs. Hell, it even lasted longer than the powerful German Empire.

Edited by Beylerbeyi
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 17:43

And no, you dont have any single places like Gallipoli in that region. Because our history is full of battles like Gallipoli, Manzikert etc., but yours is not. Because we cant accept living under others' rule, but you can. And this is why we are called Turks. If those values mean nothing to you, just dont try to empose your them to us, because our values are totally different than yours.

lol, you talkin to wrong guy, i come from Makedonija, we always fought those who tried to ocupy us we won most of the wars, but aways lost our teritory on piece conferences

here only few

in the last few centuries: Marica - Othomans, Kosovo (alongside the serbs) - Othomans again, continium of uprisings & rebbelions during the Othoman ocupation of our land (my ancestors inclusive )

The Both Balkan Wars - warplace = Makedonija, Macedonians were forced to fight to the Bulgarian or Serbian army, Many also self-organized (my ancestors inclusive)

First World War - Solun Front - splitting my fathers villige (& the whole region of Mariovo - Makedonija) on 2, Macedonians were forced to fight to the Bulgarian or Serbian & other armies, Many also self-organized (uh, echo?)(my ancestors inclusive)

second World War - Macedonians rase up against the Fascist Bulgarian Regime first attacking the Bulgarian Police Stations in Prilep & Kumanovo, later Spreading the attacks also on Germans, Italians, Albanians & other FASCIST & fascist alies.(my ancestors inclusive)

But, it was not nessesery to try to insult me, couse i thought on Vukovar - Croatia when i was talkin about birds not singing & strange fog years after the batlle, but angry words based on i-dun-no-what can not insult me, i know very good who i am

But it was worth for my ancestors. Their lifes werent such important when considered with the future of their wifes, sons and great sons... And dying with honor for God was the inheritence of their great ancestors... 

One of my Turkish friends here in Germany have more hunderts of years Altai - Turkish family roots, from respected family of Suni(t) muslims. He told me CLEAR that Islam IS STRICT against SUICIDE & ANY KIND OF TAKING HUMAN LIFE. or you read another Koran?

Unfortunately, I see that you dont respect some national values...

sure i respect national & family values, how you come to that conclusion?

i only asked "What is heroic in killing other people?"

dont you think you can do more for your nation if you work / create in your land / FOR your land & family, if you rase up GOOD CHILDREN, who will RESPECT eachother & the rest of the world.

or it is better just to die couse someone tell you to do that?

think AGAIN...

i think if somehow some "Ghandi" (meaning massive unviolent resistance) showed up in the Turkish lands & if those 250.000 soldiers made a fest on the beach where Anzac wanted to land, noone would died & the Anzac would turned their ships back & sealed way Aussieland...

Conflict is not a Solution, remember this words & maybe one day you will remember me

But what give you right to attack someone? if you read my text good, you will see that i am "asking" the "Anzac" also WHAT THE HELL THEY WANTED THERE? how they protected their families?

& every agressor ...

How could few thousand Aussies assimilate between 20 & 25 million Turks, Kurds & rest of the Folks living there?

i see your hart is poisoned with hatered as a result from the lots of UNJUSTFULL things that are happening in the World.

But you are reacting exactly like the those who are your Real Enemies want that.

Im not yur enemy, or i dont think some regular Greek or Kurd or Albanian or Chinese is your enemy

Call me again coward, i will brake your nose, than we will drink a DRINK (can be beer, caffee, tee, limonade, milk, something...)

But if you dont insult me, we can drink & have fun, respect & love our Nations & Religions, change experiances & knowledge WITHOUT BRAKING THE NOSE

conflict bring only conflict

has been prooven, & i am not less brave than you or i luv less my country than you, i am only not SO STUPID to make the same mistakes like our ancestors...

big difference...

& as p.s.

i respect everyone WHO ALREADY DIED to PROTECT other.

But it is so clear that NO NEED OF FUTURE KILLING

peace with you & all

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 17:47

Beylerbeyi asilzadesi,

I didnt have any single words or sentences in this topic about the Ottomans, but I realize you are a passionate topic changer, and you like to discuss your ntional identities in every foreign forums, making yourself and the other forumers ashamed here.

Alparslan have never had any claims or even comments about the Ottomans' identity and being a Turkmen. These were topics that I have discussed about, so dont make generalizations.

Ottomans had a Turkish origined identity until the beginnign of the declining period, and the beginning of total degenerations. But they have never considered themselves as Turks, since they were a multi-ethnical empire whose subjects were differed according to religious groups/sects, not ethnicities. But still, the Empire and the dynasty were totally Turkish origined until that last period. So they were our past and all Turks should be proud with their pasts.

Turks fought for their freedom in Gallipoli, and if you dont believe this, I suggest you to look for a new citizenship of a foreign country, and you can adopt their national values much more easier than yours. All those hundreds of thousands of Turks and a minority Kurdish soldiers sacrificed their lives for you to still speak Turkish and have your life with your own will.

Of course I am aware of the very heroic battles in our war of Independence, and I totally respect every single one of those battles that unarmed Turkish villagers had kicked some heavily armed, populated invader forces out of our home, you arent the one to teach this to me. I am a member of a family who had sacrificed a couple of its members' lives in this goal of independence. So I am happy to share at least some national values of independence with you, this can be the first step to Turkify you...

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 05:49

Beylerbeyi,

I couldn't find any relation between what I have said and your critics to "my words".

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Oguzoglu and Alparslan,

I think you dont have the right to comment on anyones identity. You dont even consider the Ottomans Turks, and say that you are Turcomans. You wrote many times that Ottomans are not your ancestors. You say that the Ottomans oppressed the Turks (by which you mean Turcoman nomads) in Anatolia, and then here you say Turks fought for their freedom in Gallipoli, because Turks cannot live without freedom? Make up your mind, man, are Ottomans Turks or not?

Show me my words saying that "Ottomans were not Turks" or "they are not our ancestors". You are dreaming or you did not understand what I have said.

I said that Ottomans oppressed Turks at the border areas with Safavids. This is an undeniable historical fact. 

Back to the question, that nagging Turkophobe character is right for once, you failed to explain us why you think Gallipolli is the most heroic place in Turkey? Why havent you chosen the battles, for instance, during the Turkish war of resistance where the Turks defending their homeland were outnumbered and outgunned, but still won? Why not mention Antep, officially renamed Antep the Veteran after its people sent the French Army packing? And these are real Turkish victories, you know, not wars of the Ottomans. Maybe too many other ethnicities were involved in Antep for your liking, though, but in Gallipolli an important portion of Ottoman casualties were Arabs and Kurds and other non-Turks as well. 

For me Turkish war of resistence had a predictable end. Eventough it had a major effect in emergence of modern Turkey, Greek army wouldn't have any chance against Turks. They were a peace of cake for us. Moreover Gallipoli is the "birth place" of Ataturk. Just compare the two ; 1) fighting against combined army of British, French and ANZAC armies or 2) Greek army. Beating Greeks cannot be a symbol of heroism. At the first Turkish offence Greek army has been crashed and they evacuated the Anatolia in 10 days. In Antep and Marash there were urban wars against French armies. The scale is small.

In Gallipoli, only a small part of army was not Turk. Only the 77. regiment was Arab whose task was to defend the left front of 27th regiment. Unfortunately they have retreated easily. This event had taken place at the first days of the land battles. After this it has been decided not to use Araps in Gallipoli battles. (They simply did not want to fight in a foreign country. I respect them) Just to remember 57th, 27th and 77th regiments defended against allied forces at Conkbayiri front of the peninsula but due to the 77th regiment retreat from the battlefield all the soldiers of the 57th regiment lost their lives but did not retreat. The number of Kurds in the army again was almost zero. The most effective use of Kurds in Ottoman army was Hamidiye Alaylari (regiments) which had nothing to do in Gallipoli. 

Still, Ill help you with explaining things, because I think even though you believe in nationalist myths of racial purity and ethnic superiority, you can feel that there is something terribly wrong in denying your Ottoman ancestry, and know perfectly well, even though you are bending over backwards (i.e. making up silly arguments) not to admit that Turkish ethnicity and culture encompasses much more than that of nomadic Turcomans.

I have never told about racial purity nor ethnic superiority. You are saying that "Turkish ethnicity and culture encompasses much more than that of nomadic Turcomans."

That was what I said. But you are insisting not to understand that Turks were not composed only nomadic Turcomans. You are still fixed into the idea that Turks = nomadic Turcomans. Wrong. You ,still do not know how and under which circumstances Turks came to Anatolia. Just read a bit history.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 11:18

BULGARY ROCKS!!

I went there the weekend befor,i couldn't see much but it was a great trip.I enjoyed it alot though i HAVE TO make a suggestion to the bulgarian people

keep the girls out of historical buildings,the skirts they wear are just tooooo small and distract us from seeing nice places

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 08:02
Patton Nagar, in India. My present signature explains it.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 09:13

Tolpuddle in Dorset England,

During the industrial revolution men, women and children were forced to work in appalling conditions with little pay.

The Tolpuddle Martyrs were formed in the 1830s by a group of labours that formed a friendly society, the society demanded a reasonable wage before they would work, but they angered the local landowner who had them prosecuted and were found guilty of swearing oaths to each other, they were then transported to Australia.  

They became popular heroes and were eventually freed in 1837, they had in effect formed an early trade union movement.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 11:09
LOL Reading through this post, its hilarious to see some of Turkey's "neighbours" foaming at the mouth over this great victory. Jeeez you guys just can't stomach it can you. Whatever you say it was an EPIC battle, it was heroic and has become legendary and not only just for Turks also for Australlia and New Zealand.

Not only was the heroics on the battlefield to be admired, the way the enemies conducted theirselves after the war in my opinion was very noble and gets my respect.

Its beautiful.

Instead of crying about it and making excuses for why you lost, tell us heroic places of your country, or are you taking out your own feeling of inadequecy on others. You won't find an answer at the bottom of the bottle guys.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 15:36
calm down bulldog-
the conversation is 1,5 year old.
U dont have to re-start a flame war.
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:13
There are many places but this is one of the most important:
The Shipka Memorial dedicated to the bulgarians and russians who fell at the ferocious battles at Shipka pass during the Russo-Turkish liberation war 1877-78.
At one of the battles 2000 bulgarians managed to hold 60 000 turks!!!

Kynsi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kynsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:08

For us Finns it would probably be the Winterwar (more than the Continuation war). This is just a quick overview of the happenings.

The Winterwar was fought in 1939 when Germany and the Soviet Union made a secret plan in the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact to devide Europe and Finland, among the Baltic countries, Moldova and eastern Poland ,were in its sphere of intrest. The table was set and and the pieces were moving.

The war began in 28th of November with the incident called "Mainilan laukaukset" the shots of Mainila. The Soviet artillery fired shots near the village of Mainila and the Soviets claimed that 13 soldiers had died in an artillery attack from the Finland's side though Mainila was no way near the rage of Finnish artillery. The artillery had been ordered far away from the boarder. Later on it turned out that there were no evidence from that any soldiers had died and it was only in 1998 when Russia admitted they indeed fired the shots.
The Soviets pointed the finger at Finland and started to prepare for war in dispite of Finlands offers to diplomaticly sovlve the situation together.

The invasion began in 30th of November with Soviet artillery fire and air bombings to cities. The situation was very scary to Finland the sheer numbers were petrifying. The Soviet side was formed of 3000 tanks 3800 aircrafts and near to 1 million infantry. Finland had about 30 tanks 250 000 infantry and 130 old fighters.
And this time Germany, Finland's long term ally, was out of the picture.
The allies offered assistance but the plans would have taken too long time to execute so the most help came from the neighbouring countries Sweden helped with humanitarian aid and soldiers and Estonia, officially an ally of the enemy, gave valuable information through intelligence. But the military commad knew that in the end Finland was alone in this.

The first big battle was the battle of Tolvajrvi where the Finns stopped the advancing division 139 and repelled back. This gave Finns hope and more moral to the fight. The casualties were 600 from about 4000 men on the finnish side. Soviets suffered 5000 dead and another 5000 wounded from 20 000 men. The whole invasion grinded to a halt during the december. A assault wich was suposed to be a parade march over Finland was to become a bleeding wound to the Soviets.

In the winterwar Finland became famous of "motti" tactics. The tactic was to slice the big marching soviet ranks to small sections and surround them. Finns would not try to attack, partly because they had very little tanks etc., the surrounded Soviets but they waited them to deplete the supplies. When the Soviets were tired and hungry the motti was "ripe" and they closed in and quickly after destroying the soviet forces moved on to help other "motti"s.

Two big battles, battle of Suomussalmi and the following battle of Raatteentie, are fine examples of the motti tactics and its effectivity. In Suomussalmi Finns surrounded with 11 000 men two divisions and one tank brigade which equals to about 50 000 men. The casualties were 27 000 dead and missing for soviets and 900 dead and 1300 wounded for Finns.
The following battle of Raatteentie(Raate road) where an Ukranian division was sent to help the 163rd division which was beeing destroyed in Suomussalmi. The casualties were 17 000 from 25 000 for the Soviets. Finnish casualties 900 out of 6000. Thease two battles became the symbol of the Winterwar.

Other famous battle from the Winterwar is the battle of Kollaa where the Finns held off 4 divisions and 1 tank brigade. The famous dialog between General Major Hgglund asked Leutnant Juuttila would kollaa hold where Juuttila laconicly answerd "It will, if we are not told to run". In the end finnish forces came to a braking point and retreated from the positions but a counter attack was formed the next day.

Thease were the decisive battles which stopped Finland of being over run and gave grounds to the truce with Soviets. The table was set for the next encounter with the Soviets only two years later and a similar scenario was to come.

If your intrested the Finnish Defence Forces have telegrams from each day of the Winterwar.

Edited by Kynsi - 28-Oct-2006 at 10:13
If you keep one eye on the past then you are blind in one eye, but if you
forget the past then you are blind in both eyes -old russian saying
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:05
As a citizen of South Korea, Myongryang Straits should be among the most heroic battlefield. This the where Lord High Admiral Yi Sun-shin brought the 13 ships survived from another Korean general's defeated fleet to crush the invading 333 Japanese ships. 50 ships survived the battle, but the Japanese admiral retreated by saying, "What will you do with only 50 ships? The enemy is Yi Sun sin!"

Also, this is the last major sea battle between Korea and Japan. During the battle, the Korea's greatest military commander received fatal wound. Before he died, he ordered his son to wear his armour and said, "Don't let my death be known". His body was covered by shields throughout the battle. He did such thing in order to prevent his troops to demoralize.

What is so honorable other than his victory and his death is that his government was tricked by Japanese scheme, which allowed the king of Korea to believe Sun-shin as traitor. Without any fair trials, he was arrested, beaten, and was forced to be in the lowest rank stationed in Northern border of Korea. After the Won Gyun's tragic loss, which costed 117 Korean ships, the Korean government called Yi Sun-shin to gather the survived ships (12 in total) and his flagship (So 13 in total) to protect Korean shore. He, apart from his patriotic will, had no reason to answer the aid of Korea's corrupted government. Korean government was divided into many corrupted factions that weakened the nation, much to my disgust. Many talented Koreans fled government's persecution, which is the reason why there's very few well known Korean throughout the Korean history... even today. (Much to my embarrassment)  

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 01:58
Inside Australia, the Melbourne Cricket Ground. For Australians Gallipoli.

Originally posted by BeylerBeyi

Gallipoli was the last stand for the Ottomans, a 600 year old dynasty. And even as it was collapsing, in its darkest hour, it won the battle in Gallipoli. It was a heroic effort. Because of that the house of Osman, the sick man of Europe, actually survived a few years longer than all their arch-enemies, the Habsburgs and the Romanovs. Hell, it even lasted longer than the powerful German Empire.

I had never thought of it like that before.
Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 20:52
U talking about the Holy Roman empire?

and the Habsburgs lasted a little more than the Ottomans.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:20
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

In Iran, I think it is the Babak Castle:

Babak Castle lies 16 kilometers from Kaleybar in East Azarbainan Province. It is 2,300 meters above the sea level and is surrounded by valleys measuring up to 600 meters in depth. The only access to the castle is a corridor-shaped route. The marvelous castle towers over numerous ramparts. It was from this castle that Babak Khorramdin and his few followers fought against the Arabs for 22 years.

It is said when Babak was finally arrested and his arm was first cut off, he dabbed the blood on his face with his other hand. The Caliph asked Babak what he was doing and Babak replied: "Because I am bleeding, I was worried my face may turn pale. I wanted to make sure no one gets the impression that I was scared of death..."

If it is not called "Chauvinism", every year in late June thousands of Iranians gather at Babak Castle for the annual commemoration of Babak Khorramdin.

Nice post, thanks.  I often run into Babak on the web.  Now I know more about it!

Edited by Hellios - 01-Nov-2006 at 03:21
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 04:29
Originally posted by Spartakus

The most heroic place in Hellas?The whole country!

True that! Wink

But one place that comes to mind, and we recently had the anniversary of the event on the 8th of November,
is that of the holocaust at the....

ARKADI MONASTERY 

One of Crete's most venerated symbols of freedom. The defiant defence of this fortress-like monastery during the 1866 Cretan rebellion against the Turks is still legendary and inspirational.

By the mid-1800's, the Turks had occupied Crete for more than two centuries, despite frequent bloody uprisings by Cretan rebels determined to win independence and union with Greece. Then came the revolution of 1866, instigated by a 16 member revolutionary committee. Arkadi Monastery became the rebels' headquarters, owing to its central position on the island and strategic location atop a craggy inland gorge.

When the Turkish Pasha in Rethymnon learned of the rebels operating out of the monastery, he sent an ultimatum to Arkadi's Abbot Gabriel Marinakis: either expel the revolutionary committee or the monastery would be destroyed.

But Abbot Gabriel was himself acting as chairman of the committee. He refused the Pasha's demand. The rebels began preparing the monastery for the anticipated Turkish attack. At dawn on November 8, 1866, the Arkadi defenders awoke to find the monastery surrounded by 15,000 Turkish soldiers armed with 30 cannons. The monastery walls were manned by only 259 armed men, including 45 monks and 12 of the 16 revolutionary committee members. There were also almost 700 unarmed women and children from nearby villages, seeking refuge from the encroaching Turks.

The Turkish commander's demand for surrender was answered by gunfire. The battle was on.

Turkish troops stormed the monastery gate in waves and hundreds were mown down by heavy fire from the defenders and from seven Cretan snipers who had barricaded themselves in a windmill outside the walls. As night fell on the first day of the battle, the fields around the monastery were heaped with Turkish corpses. The snipers had died one by one. But still the gate and walls held.

In the dark of the first night, the two Cretan rebels were lowered by a rope from a window, dressed as Turks, to slip through enemy lines and seek reinforcements from a nearby town. When it was learned that no help was coming, one of the rebels crept back through Turkish ranks to return to Arkadi.

The second day of battle broke with a bang, as the Turks opened fire with two heavy artillery guns they had dragged up the gorge from Rethymnon during the night. As the walls and gate smashed
and crumbled under the incessant pounding of the shells, Abbot Gabriel gathered the defenders into the Arkadi Chapel to receive the last sacrament. The Abbot urged them to die bravely for their cause and then went up to the walls to do so himself.

Aware that the Pasha had ordered him to be taken alive, Abbot Gabriel showed himself on an unprotected terrace and opened fire on the Turks. At first the Turks obeyed orders and did not shoot back. But at last the big Abbot, standing in clear view in his black flowing robes, blazing away at anything that moved, made too inviting a target for one Turkish soldier.

A bullet caught Abbot Gabriel just above the navel and he fell dead - but not before he had given his blessing to a desperate plan hatched by an imposing rebel fighter named Konstantine Giaboudakis. What the refugees at Arkadi feared more than death was to fall into the hands of the Turks. So when Konstanine Giaboudakis presented his plan to the defenders, it was unanimously approved.

By the afternoon of the second day, the Turkish heavy artillery had pulverized the outer walls. The defenders killed hundreds more invaders, but the end was clearly near - ammunition was running low and the gate was almost breached. As darkness fell, the Turks launched a massive final assault, pouring through the gate into the inner courtyard, where the rebels fought them hand to hand.

Meanwhile, Giaboudakis was preparing to carry out his plan.
He led more than 600 women and children into the monastery's gunpowder storage room,
where they said their prayers and waited until hundreds of Turks were swarming over the roof and ramming away at the bolted door. As the door splintered, Giaboudakis put a spark to a gunpowder keg.

The massive explosion killed all the refugees, along with several hundred Turkish soldiers. When the smoke cleared, 864 Cretan men, women and children lay dead, along with 1500 Turks. The Turks took 114 prisoners whom they immediately put to death. Only 3 rebels managed to escape to tell the tale.

News of the slaughter at Arkadi Monastery, with the heavy loss of women, children and clergymen shocked the rest of Europe and won much support for the Cretan rebels' cause. In 1898, with help from Greece and the Great Powers (England, France, Italy and Russia), Crete won its independence and the Turks withdrew from the island, which they had held since 1669.

Then in 1913, the long-fought-for goal was achieved and Crete was united with Greece.

http://www.stigmes.gr/br/brpages/articles/arkadi.htm

The Monastery of Arkadi lies 22 km south east of Rethymnon and is the most celebrated Monastery on Crete with a rich historical background.

The oldest find is part of an inscription with the name Arkadhi, dating back to the 14th or 15th century. The name relates to the founder or re-builder of the monastery, a monk named Arkadios.

Since the 16th century the monastery has been a place of science and art. There was a school in the monastery and a library full of the works of ancient writers. After 1646 however the scholastic contribution of the monastery was serious reduced when it was captured and plundered by the Turkish army.

In May 1866 the preparations for rebellion were underway in Arkadi. Since as many as 1500 Cretans had gathered here, it was not surprising that this fact did not stay hidden from the Turks and Abbot Gabriel was charged with disbanding the revolutionary committee.

After he refused, the Turks attacked the rebels forcing almost 700 women and children from the nearby villages as well as 300 fighters to take refuge in the monastery.

After the Abbot refused a second ultimatum, the Turks attacked the monastery.

On 8th November 1866 the siege of the monastery began by 15,000 Turkish soldiers equipped with heavy artillery.

The walls began to crumble and just as the Turks began their assault on the monastery Konstantin Giaboudakis, with the agreement of Abbot Gabriel, ignited the powder kegs, so that the explosion not only killed those seeking refuge, but also many Turks.

Arkadi has recently been declared a European monument to freedom.

In the museum of the monastery many things are kept, which are reminders of the catastrophe.
http://www.beeinnet.com/accommodation/map/facil.asp?pid=109

Some of the relics of the freedom fighters, found at the museum.              

I managed to pay my respects here on my last trip to Greece.

May they all RIP and their memory live on for sacrificing themselves
for their country and in the name of the Greek adage.. "Freedom or Death".

Edited by Ellin - 12-Nov-2006 at 05:00
"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345