Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

72 Virgins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Virgins
    Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 00:33

It also a kind of contradiction in the heart of Christianity. For a whole religion to which based upon this life merely being a pre-lude to the afterlife to ackknowledge death as the end of something.

Not so, till death do us part, has to do with the forsaking of others. In heaven no one is forsaken and after death everyone is joined with each other, so marriage is irrelevant. In heaven everyone is 'married' to everyone else......and no there is no sex in heaven.

It's difficult to think of any really theological reason in any religion I know of - though primarily it has to be Christianity that advocates it. The words of the Christian marriage service, generally, stipulate 'forsaking all others' and 'until death do us part' but I'm not aware of any injunction actually requiring that. (The second is nowadays anyway routinely ignored by most Christians.)

The ten commandments forbid adultery, but that never precluded having several wives (or husbands).

The key figure is of course St Paul. Not because he went on about it being better to marry than burn (which doesn't itself imply monogamy) but because of his saying 'Let every man have his own wife.' But even that seems to be, the way he argues it, a practical recommendation rather than a theological injunction.

His theologically preferred position was celibacy, not monogamy.

This is interesting, so monogamy could be challenged in orthodox christian belief (as Mormons have challenged.) Of course monogamy for the most part works out better in the world since the sexes are evenly distributed. Still this is interesting.......

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 07:35
. Not to mention eight years of government by the anti-Christ and his spouse, the Great Whore of Babylon
DeadLOL
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:42
Originally posted by JanusRook

It also a kind of contradiction in the heart of Christianity. For a whole religion to which based upon this life merely being a pre-lude to the afterlife to ackknowledge death as the end of something.

Not so, till death do us part, has to do with the forsaking of others. In heaven no one is forsaken and after death everyone is joined with each other, so marriage is irrelevant. In heaven everyone is 'married' to everyone else......and no there is no sex in heaven.

So gay marriage in heaven, wow.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:48

Just a good religious lie for young male who doesn't know better. Like selling land in heaven, didn't the latin church do that?

What have you been smoking Leonidas?......that being said, for a fee I'll let you rent out some of my 700 acres.......

Cant rent im dead right so ill have to buy, ok ill take 700 acres but you will have to take Aus$$. Wink

ok i did some cross checking from what 'someone told me',and found out what they were really talking about was the selling of 'Indulgences' . In particular, the whole Johan Teztel affair.

my mistake two different thingsEmbarrassed

Edited by Leonidas - 15-Apr-2007 at 08:55
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 00:19

So gay marriage in heaven, wow.

Like I said no sex, no problem.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 10:49
Sounds more like hell to me...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by bleda

72 virgins
ok ı want to 20 swedish+20 venezule+20 russian+10 spanish+1 japanese+
1 turkish womanLOL

Not to spoil the fun, but I think these conversations about virgins is plain stupid. You are insulting Islam. You yourself heard that virgin stories are myth from the Muslims. Stop the madness. It's not fun. It's disgusting.

Join us.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 20:16
Russian Virgins?????????
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 02:22
LOL
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 09:18

It's difficult to think of any really theological reason in any religion I know of - though primarily it has to be Christianity that advocates it. The words of the Christian marriage service, generally, stipulate 'forsaking all others' and 'until death do us part' but I'm not aware of any injunction actually requiring that. (The second is nowadays anyway routinely ignored by most Christians.)

The ten commandments forbid adultery, but that never precluded having several wives (or husbands).

The key figure is of course St Paul. Not because he went on about it being better to marry than burn (which doesn't itself imply monogamy) but because of his saying 'Let every man have his own wife.' But even that seems to be, the way he argues it, a practical recommendation rather than a theological injunction.

His theologically preferred position was celibacy, not monogamy.

This is interesting, so monogamy could be challenged in orthodox christian belief (as Mormons have challenged.) Of course monogamy for the most part works out better in the world since the sexes are evenly distributed. Still this is interesting.......

I think it can be argued that the Christian practice of monogamy is the direct result of its intimate connection with ancient Rome, and possibly Greece, where monogamy was the social ideal. The early Church fathers seem much more concerned with celibacy, in particular the celibacy of priests and deacons, than polygamy as such.

Browsing around, I was surprised to find several places where proclaimed Christians actually oppose monogamy as a practice. Sample here: http://www.houseofdavidministries.com/Greek_marriage.html

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by Northman

Originally posted by Scorpian

Hey! Northman what's my chances of getting into ValhallaQuestion

If you are a brave warrior and die in battle, you chances should be good.
(quite similar to Islam I guess)

Valhalla can't come up with 72 virgins - but Freya the godess of love and fertilitywill keep you happy I think - or one of the Valkyries.
Ask the Queen Valkyrie Dawn - she will know Wink 

You will get eternal life though - feasting every night, eating the same pig over and over again - and fighting every day without the possiblity of getting killed.....

Its not unusual to hear something like this in Valhalla:
"Hey Scorpian - you beheaded me yesterday with your waraxe - what an awsome blow - lets have a drink on that." LOL

I'm thinking that scorpian would prefer Folkvang to Valhalla.  
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 05:18
Originally posted by Paul

Russian Virgins?????????

yeah it sounds impossible, doesnt it?LOL
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Originally posted by Paul

Russian Virgins?????????

yeah it sounds impossible, doesnt it?LOL

Let's hope that we don't have any Russian female member in here... Ouch

Join us.
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 06:37
I'm thinking that scorpian would prefer Folkvang to Valhalla.  (quote Dawn)

Folkvang sounds cool tooThumbs%20Up   Maybe I'll spend time visiting all the best heavens and try before I buy.Wink 
   Do you think there is a chocolate heaven? Though possibly that heaven is reserved for woman onlyCry 
      Anyways what do angels do for kicks in all them boring heavens? If I was an angel with big flapping wings then I'd go and get revenge on all those pigeons that cack constantly and often as nought poop on your head or shoulder. Dead 
                       Oh! the joys of such revengeLOL See how they like a taste of their own medicineEvil%20Smile

Edited by Scorpian - 04-May-2007 at 07:41
Scorpian
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 01:17
These 72 are not real people. They are "hurris" made from light if I am not mistaken.

It's funny though that the highest form of Allah's present is a life of polygamous sexual gratification!!!

I wonder what happens if a woman becomes a shahid. Will she get 72 men? Or will she be forced to get a sighe with one of the men in the heaven?!!
the_glitch View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote the_glitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 23:50
reminds of a joke a friend told me.
*suicide bomber blows himself up.gets to heaven and sees george washington and other colonial guys.*
bomber:"I thought I got 72 virgins?"
washington:"no, it's 72 Virginians!" *starts kicking the bomber.*
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 00:49
So many questions here. If I 'ma up there and hurris are made from light then what I 'm made of? Surely if my body is buried on earth then I'm the cohesive energies that took off for other realms at the point of physical death? Most religions believe that but the point is how you are greeted on the other side.

72 virgins? but then who would bother to count? Don't stand there, just start to mount! In the interests of equality one hopes there would be 72 virgin men to pleasure the ladies as well. But if we are made of energy stuff how could we get it on? Do we have to go to the toilet or even have an anus for gays to lust after up there? Perhaps it all cames by touch. You and her put you fingers or whatever else together and waves of orgasmic pleasure comes that passes all earthly understanding.
elenos
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2009 at 18:30
Just how could so many wothless posts continue to be left for anyone to read on this forum?

I see posters with 4,000 posts, or 1,457 posts make absolutely worthless posts like this site is a part of Playboy, etc.! The seriousness of the original proposal is mostly never covered!

Pomposity at is best!

If is were not so serious to many people, maybe even I could laugh?

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 19-Nov-2009 at 14:10
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123