Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend me a book!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me a book!
    Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:39
So, i'm fixing to buy a few new books and i need a few ideas!  Recommend anything, in an era of history.  nonfiction/fiction (although i tend to read more nonfiction) doesn't really matter.  
Kilroy was here.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:56
The Man Who Would Be King by Ben Macintyre. It is about a Quaker from Pennsylvania who travels to Afghanistan in the early 1800s and serves several local Kings, and eventually is a king himself! A very fun and interesting read!
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 17:49

was there a movie based on that book?

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 17:53
I like Simon Scarrow's Eagles series. So if you don't already have it, pick up the first one "Under the Egale." I'm sure you heard of it, it's about the invasion of Brittania under Claudius.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 23:54
"Malinche", of Laura Esquivel. Is about the Native lover of Hernan Cortes during the conquist of Mexico. Very revealing of the mentalities of the time.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 00:17
Originally posted by Dawn

If there is, I haven't heard of it.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 08:09
1491, by Charles C. Mann.    Non fiction.   From the Washington post-  1491 compels us to re-examine how we teach the ancient history of the Americas and how we live with the environmental consequences of colonization. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 09:09
The myth of Nations by Patrick Geary. About Roman and early medieval nationality and historiography, and its influence on nineteenth century and modern conceptions of nations and nationalsim. Very interesting!

And if your interests run towards fantasy-history I can recommend Jonathan Stange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke. An 'alternative' history of England, if magic would have been real... Big%20smile A highlight in reality based fantasy, very entertaining...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 10:24
Originally posted by Adalwolf

The Man Who Would Be King by Ben Macintyre. It is about a Quaker from Pennsylvania who travels to Afghanistan in the early 1800s and serves several local Kings, and eventually is a king himself! A very fun and interesting read!

The Last American King of Afghanistan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 13:30
Originally posted by Dawn

..there is a film called 'The Man Who Would be King' starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine in the lead roles, but this film was based on the short story by Rudyard Kipling.....a great slice of 'boys own' adventure though, cracking film with some neat historical twists and turns....

....sorry, forgot the purpose of the thread, i would recommend Simon Schama's 'Rough Crossings'...great non-fiction surrounding Britain, slavery, and the American War of Independence.....top notch writing and a fantastic insight into some of the 'ordinary' (and not so ordinary) folks involved....

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 06-Apr-2007 at 13:33
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 19:20
Thanks for the recommendations people, i will be sure to investigate all of these possibilities. 

S&D, i've heard so much about Scarrows work, but never tried him out, i guess i'll have to Thumbs%20Up.  and i've been courting the idea of trying 1491 out for a while, and now that its a paperback, i just might (its much cheaper now!).

Keep the recommendations coming people!  don't stop now!
Kilroy was here.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 20:36
I loved the Memoirs of the Captain de Contreras, an action-filled piece of non-fiction absolutely marvelously written (in Spanish at least). It is great and very revealing I'd advise any body who has 10 bucks to spend to buy and. And as it is written by a soldier it is short, tasty and easy to read. Finally the character of Contreras is just soooo great!!!

My favorite piece of fiction would certainly be the Skin (La Pele) by Curzio Malaparte. It is about Naples after the liberation. The harshest and truest text ever written about human nature. If you like the period you also have Catch 22 and Naples 44.

I also enjoyed a lot How I ate my father by Roy Lewis, very very funny.
I am a free donkey!
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 21:11
S&D, i've heard so much about Scarrows work, but never tried him out, i guess i'll have to Thumbs%20Up.
I love these stories. It's about two Legionaries that go through all the big events in history. He plans to have the two at the seige of Judea down the road, but I think it's going to be awhile before we get there. It's just a very fun, and sometimes quite gruesome story of two soldiers trying to make it out of every dangerous adventure alive. Lots of blood, and swearing, can't get any better if you ask me!Big%20smile
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 00:25
Have no idea how I missed those ones.he seems to have been around for awhile . I'm going to get more new books Big%20smile and my husband now hates you guys. LOL
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 12:42
Which ones are you picking up if you don't mind me asking?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 14:23
it was Simon Scarrow's Eagles series that I was refering to and I ordered the first two.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 14:33
I just picked up Scarrows first book at the used book store near me for a buck Thumbs%20Up.  Looks like some good reading. 

Don't know what else i'm gonna get though.  
Kilroy was here.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 19:04
Very nice, glad to see you two picking up Simon's books. Please tell me how you liked them when you've read them. I hope you guys enjoy them, they are my favorite series.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 15:53
So have you guys read any of the books yet?Smile
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:24
unfortunatly mine have not arrived yet and I am still reading the bookclub books.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>