Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cats or Dogs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer, Cats or Dogs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [51.11%]
22 [48.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cats or Dogs?
    Posted: 01-May-2007 at 15:57
i Too prefer cats to dogs. but if for some strange reason i was forced to adopt a dog i wouldnt take the small ones because i think they are gay, hyper, noisy, gay, annoying, and small. The big dogs would just be cooler
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 17:04
I preffer cats. They are more portable :) For dogs you need more space to keep them in good condition, and they produce more "contaminants" :):)

Besides, in intelligence they are about the same, I believe. I mean, close to nothing :)

Laine View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Laine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 18:23
Cats, they are cleaner, less needy, cuter, more snuggly etc.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:22
At least i prefer female cats....

instead of dogwoman

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 02-May-2007 at 13:24

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 18:46

Depends... but I really want to keep a collin, especially after reading Lassie novel...Smile

Join us.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 20:23
My preference is towards cats, for most of the reasons already given.  So long as you keep up with the litter pan, there's no danger of a mess on your rug.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 06:58
i voted Cats

Dogs are surely smarter and much more loyal than cats but they need alot much maintenance and their sizes are too big sometimes and they dont fit as house pets.  while cats are smoother cuter and dont require full attention.
plus i am living with cats since childhood.

Big%20smile
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 16:43
CATS are for women and DOGS for men!!!!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 04:07
Originally posted by Jagiello

CATS are for women and DOGS for men!!!!

Cats are for smart people and dogs for fools.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 06:29
Originally posted by Knights

while cats, I don't see them as very fit for herding cattle.

True thier not fit for cattle herding but who needs cattle when you have the "short hair" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxwTC13f1PELOL

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Cats are for smart people and dogs for fools.

Perhaps you have heard the old saying Aelfgifu: "Cats have servants, Dogs have masters"- only a fool subordinates him/herself to an animal. Furtheremore aside from the afore mentioned cat wool industry domesticated cats are pretty much useless, whereas thier are a variety of jobs varius dogs can perform.

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 23-May-2007 at 06:32
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 06:35
The saying is untrue. Dogs are extremely depandant on their masters. You have to arrange your life around them: vacations, working hours everything has to be fit in such a way so you can still be home in time to walk it three times a day. 

Cats on the other hand cope just fine when you come home late, and will not hold a grudge like a dog will. If you forget dinner one time, they will find their own and still like you, whereas dogs will be hurt.

You have to adapt your life to a dog, but a cat adapts its life to you. So who is the servant here?

A cat is a companion, a dog is a burden, that should be the saying.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 23-May-2007 at 08:06

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 11:57

Is that the newborn German Polar Bear, Knut? He is adorable, I can't believe animal rights people wanted him killed.

Actually that's a misquote knights, the animal rights activist who said that, was trying to prove a point, as the previous year a Sloth Bear cub who was rejected by his mother was euthanized by the Leipzig zoo and the courts held that it would be innapropriate for humans to raise the animal, he was merely saying that under that ruling the Berlin zoo should have euthanized Knut.

It was more a knock against Leipzig than against the Berlin zoo officials.

The saying is untrue. Dogs are extremely depandant on their masters. You have to arrange your life around them: vacations, working hours everything has to be fit in such a way so you can still be home in time to walk it three times a day.

Of course that is how it is for those who live in the urban environments. Whereas those that live in rural places don't have that problem with their dogs since you go out for the day you just let the dogs run around the farm. And vacations? You mean you don't have others feed your cat when you go out for a couple of days?

Cats on the other hand cope just fine when you come home late, and will not hold a grudge like a dog will. If you forget dinner one time, they will find their own and still like you, whereas dogs will be hurt.

Dogs only appear hurt, because dogs live in the moment. They have an extreme pack mentality and the only thing they want is to be part of "the group" this means that they'll forget every wrong done against them as long as their masters show affection on occasion. In the wild when wolves are rejected by a pack they consider their group, they will keep returning and allow themselves to get attacked sometimes to death just so they aren't alone.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 04:17
Of course that is how it is for those who live in the urban environments. Whereas those that live in rural places don't have that problem with their dogs since you go out for the day you just let the dogs run around the farm. And vacations? You mean you don't have others feed your cat when you go out for a couple of days?

True, it is different in the countryside. But we are now officially living in a time when more people live in the city than in the country... Wink
You do have to feed the cat, but that is all you have to do. Just ask the neighbour. You cannot leave the dog alone for days with just a feeding. It'll go nuts.

Dogs only appear hurt, because dogs live in the moment. They have an extreme pack mentality and the only thing they want is to be part of "the group" this means that they'll forget every wrong done against them as long as their masters show affection on occasion. In the wild when wolves are rejected by a pack they consider their group, they will keep returning and allow themselves to get attacked sometimes to death just so they aren't alone.

Like I said: pathetic. Cats just flash the 'well f*** you too' attitude and go and find some companions that do like it. Like me...

Tongue

Edited by Aelfgifu - 24-May-2007 at 08:10

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 19:02
I have a cat AND a dog. So, i have no problem with both.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 19:17
Burmese cats are the best, they are very intelligent, friendly and playful.  My friend's mum has a couple, you can even play fetch with one, in exactly the same way as a dog.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 02:00
Originally posted by Zagros

Burmese cats are the best, they are very intelligent, friendly and playful.  My friend's mum has a couple, you can even play fetch with one, in exactly the same way as a dog.

I completely agree with you Zagros. From working at the cattery my personal favourite cats are Burmese and Birmans. They are just the most lovable, friendly, playful and cutest things! Tis also true about how they love to play "fetch" and enjoy interacting with humans. I would have a Birman or Burmese over any dog in some situations, however, some dogs I just can't go pass (Golden Retriever...Smile)

Big%20smile
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 08:43
Cats all the way.
Arrrgh!!"
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:33
Well, you can't take a cat to the park and play football or have it wrestle with your kids without them needing hundreds of sutures to close up their wounds... Dogs are more 'all-terrain' IMO.
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 05:08
Originally posted by Goban

Well, you can't take a cat to the park and play football

Cats actually have superior hand-eye coordination to dogs, and are thus technically "better" at playing football. However, cats do not fancy that type of thing, while dogs being the social and energetic things they are, tend to love football. Lions, tigers and other big cats are surprisingly adept at playing with soccer and large plastic balls. They use their paws like gloves/bats to keep the ball under control, and are very good at dribbling Smile

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 01:24
I have had cats and dogs and honestly I can't make up my mind which I prefer.  Both have positive aspects as well as negative.  Its hard to explain but from my personal experience I would liken a dog to a less intelligent extremely happy and loyal friend, who loves to play. (if I didn't make it clear not as in a person) Cats on the other hand are more reserved, crafty and deep thinkers, they aren't as reckless but more cautious, but just as friendly and as mentioned more independent, they don't really need you like a dog does but enjoy your company.  I think the reason a dog is more dependent on you is because of the bond they make with you, ex. their loyalty.  (it may sound odd but this is what comes to mind observing their body language)  My vocabulary isn't what it used to be so this is rather difficult to express.  Right now I have a bird which is the most animated and has the most personality of any pet I have ever had.

Edited by Justinian - 19-Jul-2007 at 01:27
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>