Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cats or Dogs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer, Cats or Dogs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [51.11%]
22 [48.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cats or Dogs?
    Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 20:01
So, which do you prefer as a pet?

I prefer dogs.

Edited by Adalwolf - 04-Apr-2007 at 20:02
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 20:09
Are we talking about domestic here (I guess you could have wild cats/dogs as petsWink)? I imagine so. In that case, it is an extremely hard decision for me!! I love Birmans, Ragdolls and Burmese cats (and a few others) ... but I have a Golden Retriever...I went with dogs purely because of my Goldy, they are just so affectionate and loyal. Congratulations Adalwolf, on warping my mind - very hard choice Smile

I should try and upload some pictures of mine Thumbs%20Up

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 04-Apr-2007 at 20:13
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 01:57
I have a cat myself. I recently taught him to dial 911 in case of an emergency and he actually caught on pretty quick lol. I like dogs too, but cats are just more easier to deal with, they are cleaner and dont need to be walked everyday.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 02:26
After having 3 yorkies(at the same time) I swore I would never own a dog again. However my girlfriend has coerced me into getting a pug at the end of the summer. I'm actually quite excited though I feel the care taking aspect(walking,bathing,nail trimming,etc) will fall heavily on me and not my girlfriend. I prefer cats. Always have always will. My last 2 cats lived to 17 and 19 and were actually a bit of an emotional loss when they passed away.

Edited by Gundamor - 05-Apr-2007 at 02:27
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 02:53
Dogs!!!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 02:53
Originally posted by Penelope

I have a cat myself. I recently taught him to dial 911 in case of an emergency and he actually caught on pretty quick lol. I like dogs too, but cats are just more easier to deal with, they are cleaner and dont need to be walked everyday.

That's pretty cool - may I ask what method/incentive you used in the training, I'm always on the lookout for different ways to train cats Smile
I personally chose to work in the cattery rather than kennels when given the option, when I worked at a kennels/cattery 'resort'Wink. Cats are cleaner, easier to work with, can be very affectionate. My favourite are Birmans and Burmese. Big%20smile. As I said, a very hard choice between cats and dogs...Unhappy

PS. Gundamor - I can see why you got turned off dogs...Yorkies...LOL

- Knights -
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 04:31
CATS! CATS! CATS!

Cats are independent and still affectionate. They welcome you and aprecciate attention, but when you are busy or away, they cope just fine. They are clean, tidy, calm and composed.

Dogs on the other hane need constant attention, training, groomin etc. They get depressed when you go to bed, they get leaving anxiety when you go to work and they stop eating when you go on holiday. Their whole world revolves around you, which must make them the most pathetic species in the world... Big%20smile

I can live with some dogs though... The ones bigger than rats that is...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 06:10
Both cats and dogs have breeds to accommodate for people with different lifestyles and ages.
For elderly people, lap dogs are a good because they can live inside, are small (less food needed and can sit on your lap) and don't need as much exercise.
Cats are probably better for the elderly though, as they are less exercise demanding, do not as a general rule require as much attention and care, and love to curl up on the owner's lap to keep them warm. Ragdolls are the perfect cat for this in my opinion, they are so fluffy and gentle.
Dogs are great for people with disabilities. Golden Retrievers and Labradors especially. Their passive nature and keen intelligence allows them to serve as excellent guide/helper dogs. I don't know of the use of 'guide-cats', but would love to hear if there were such thing.
For lively families with children, dogs are often best choice, but cats can fill the spot just as easily, depending on the breed. Dogs like Border Collies and most 'gundogs' (spaniels, viszlas, retrievers.etc) are good family pets, as well as 'toy' and 'terriers'. New hybrids are great too, like the cavoodle and labradoodle. Some cat breeds love to play (even fetch and ball) with their owners, and are quite active and demanding, rather than the generic cat which just sleeps all day. Birmans and Burmese are typical of this - active and friendly, but not overly demanding, and tidy too. Siamese and Korats can go a little overboard, and Siamese are very loud!
On farms and for working, well there is no competition really. Working dogs (collies, kelpies, sheepdogs.etc) are ideal, while cats, I don't see them as very fit for herding cattle.
In conclusion, it is very individual based, which you prefer. There is a specific dog/cat breed for everyone I reckon. I must stress that I am not biased either way too! I love both cats and dogs Approve(just not all breeds of cats and dogs...) I apologise for my spiel.

- Knights -
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 06:33
while cats, I don't see them as very fit for herding cattle.

You bet they aren't... Unless they are tiger-sized....
bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote bleda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 06:41
ı prefer Polar bears

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 07:15
Originally posted by rider

while cats, I don't see them as very fit for herding cattle.

You bet they aren't... Unless they are tiger-sized....

I don't think the cattle would be too happy about that...Big%20smile

Originally posted by Bleda

ı prefer Polar bears

Is that the newborn German Polar Bear, Knut? He is adorable, I can't believe animal rights people wanted him killed.
He would be very nice to have as a pet Smile until...

Big%20smile

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 09:10
dogs! partly because im allergic to cats but also they are social creatures that want you to be happy.

My family has one of these Chows

(they are in fact quite aloof and cat like lol)

i should find a real photo of her..

edit: that one actually looks like Shiva after a good clean and brush, most net pictures are of ugly show dogs

Edited by Leonidas - 05-Apr-2007 at 09:36
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 13:40
Dogs stink, but can be pretty cool... I would only own one if I lived in the countryside.  Cats are best though.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:40
Dogs for me, and specifically Sled Dogs. We have a Siberian Husky and if their species is great, if not slightly inbred.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:05
Originally posted by Knights

He would be very nice to have as a pet Smile until...
Big%20smile

Until... he (or she) starts doing that herding you mentioned earlier?
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 18:56
Cats, more independent and smarter then dogs. Don't need much care compared with dogs. 

Edited by axeman - 06-Apr-2007 at 18:56
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:05
This would be a nice thread for our missed friend Flyingzone.
As his represantative i voted for cats.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:46
Originally posted by axeman

Cats, more independent and smarter then dogs. Don't need much care compared with dogs. 

True, dogs are certainly not "dumb", but most people do agree that they are not as smart as cats.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 07:16
Dogs of course
Here is my bitch

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 11:45

I voted for Dogs and I can't believe I did it because I used to be petrified of them as a little girl. I got jumped and knocked over by an over friendly labrador when I was 3 and for about 10 years I had an irrational fear of dogs.

I'm a 20 year old woman now and the proud owner of Lab-Border Collie cross called Homer. We got him from an animal shelter and I can't imagine not having him now. Dogs are just so much more affectionate and loving than cats and have great personalities too!
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>