Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oldest Avenues that are still used

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oldest Avenues that are still used
    Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 13:36

What are the oldest roads which are also used today?

Here's I found an interesting one:

From ancient Mese road of Byzantium (At least IV. Century AD) to our lovely avenues Ordu and Divanyolu of Istanbul today.

Google Satellite:

Edited by The Hidden Face - 28-Mar-2007 at 07:56
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 14:13
More Information,

google satellite, Istanbul>

Ancient map of Istanbul>

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 14:17
And here's another view of Mese road and the ruins of forum theodosios:
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 04:47
I would imagine that most old cities that were never completely destroyed still have a street plan that goes back a long time. I am sure that in Rome, many modern roads follow ancient routes. So for the oldest roads still in use, I would imagine you would have to go to the oldest city with continuous habitation...

You could also argue that in excavated cities, like Babylon, the roads are once again used...Smile

BTW, on that last picture, the pillars have a sort of inverted teardrop pattern... Is that original? It is quite neat... I've never seen such a pattern on an old pillar...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:58
Unfortunately many ancient cities are no longer populated today. Many of them are old ghost cities which are far away from their modern city centers. Ephesus, for instance, where is one of the most important ancient cities in Turkey.

But I agree with you on Rome. Our Italian forumers may help us about Rome.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 11:01

By the way, the pillars are orginal. Those patterns can be seen on many Byzantine architectures.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 16:43

..Hello everyone..

..in the UK,  there is a modern road called the A2 which runs from London to the Port of Dover on the south east coast....

......it was originally part of Watling Street, the name given to an ancient track system in England and Wales, which was apparently first used by the Celts mainly between the modern cities of Canterbury and St Albans......

....The Romans later paved the route, part of which has been identified on the Antonine Itinerary as Inter III, or  "Item a Londinio ad portum Dubris" ....

... this road is still very much in use and when one travels on it, it is clear to see the Roman notion of building their roads as the crow flies, it is still a 'straight' road practically all the way, except for minor modern diversions, but it has now been essentially 'bypassed' by the construction of the M2 motorway...

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 18:12
^ i was under the impression that what was being discussed limited the scope to urban roads. If not watling street itself would be a candidate as it goes up the old A5.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 18:54
Originally posted by malizai_

^ i was under the impression that what was being discussed limited the scope to urban roads. If not watling street itself would be a candidate as it goes up the old A5.

..yep, sorry....i just thought of Watling Street and did not think any further than that!!..still, there are some parts of the road that could, at a stretch, still be considered 'urban', especially where the modern roads have forced a deviation from the original layout...it is possible, to 'step out' onto some old parts and be in what is essentially small 'streets' or walkways free from major traffic...but i take on board your point..

..good thread though..interesting.... 
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 08:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:19
And to answer the question

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 12:32

Very good article indeed. Does anyone know If there's a continuity between Londonium and Today's London in terms of city planning?

There's also a historical city wall in London, which is new for me. Amazing.

Post Reply Post Reply