Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any pool players in AE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any pool players in AE?
    Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 11:58
Do any of my fellow AEer's shoot pool or billiards?  You know, 8 ball, 9 ball straight pool, snookers and the like.  I do Cool.  I own a small/cheap pool table and make a weekly pilgrimage to my local pool hall (which is roughly an hour away and has incredibly nice tables) and am trying to find a league that suits my schedule.

Anyone else on AE play good pool?  Hustlers even?  Whats your favorite game?
Kilroy was here.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 12:39

I generally play 3 cushion billiards, but sometimes play nine ball, as well.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 12:56
I snooker from Time 2 Time
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 13:29

Yes, when i was young i played in a pool. Waterpolo !!!

Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 13:34
One upon a time in New York, a long time ago, i was an avid player. You name the game i learned it.Wink
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 14:28
Used to play... but I began to play ping pong because you can fold the table, and is not expensive to play.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 14:58
I don't play pool that much but I do think that the woman "Black Widow'" is not only a very talented pool player but hot also.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:48

Gargoyle loves playing Pool & Billiards!

I love all the various Games and I even make up my own Games!

kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:55
Wow, more people than i thought play here Tongue

I think my favorite game to play would be 9 ball.  I think it's probably one of the more difficult games, but i play 8 ball more often than not, and i play straight pool when playing for $$. 

@ Bucephlaus, the Black Widow is indeed really good, i've seen her play at Fox Woods a few times, but i think Ewa Mataya, or the 'Striking Viking' LOLis both better and hotter than the Widow.  

Edited by kilroy - 25-Mar-2007 at 21:57
Kilroy was here.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 10:23
I played a lot of snooker and billiards (the original kind) in my misspent youth, but not so much lately.

Coincidentally I watched The Hustler again just two days ago on DVD, and I'd love to have someone explain to me what they were doing.

(And they didn't appear to be playing on what to me would be a full-size table.)

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 16:29
Originally posted by gcle2003

I played a lot of snooker and billiards (the original kind) in my misspent youth, but not so much lately.

Coincidentally I watched The Hustler again just two days ago on DVD, and I'd love to have someone explain to me what they were doing.

(And they didn't appear to be playing on what to me would be a full-size table.)

Well pool and snooker tables are different even from just size http://www.pooltableplans.com/pool_vs%20snooker.htm. I haven't seen the hustler in a long time but I imagine they where playing 9 ball. A fast paced game thats good for making or losing money. http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_9bl.shtml
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 16:42
In my younger years I played billiards and carambole in a local club.
Now later on I still play when I get the opportunity, but those chances can be very far between. 

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 16:50
I used to be big into 9 ball, but havent played regularly for years.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 21:45
Most Yanks (who love football) play 8 ball. Small bar tables. Big pro style tables and tables with all kinds of bumps on it. Used to have one in the basement.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 09:19
Originally posted by Gundamor

Originally posted by gcle2003

Well pool and snooker tables are different even from just size http://www.pooltableplans.com/pool_vs%20snooker.htm. I haven't seen the hustler in a long time but I imagine they where playing 9 ball. A fast paced game thats good for making or losing money. http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_9bl.shtml

Thanks a lot for the references. As far as I can see, in The Hustler they were playing what is called '14.1' pool - 15 object balls, and calling their shots.

kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 13:33
I have yet to see that movie, is it any good?
Kilroy was here.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 05:15
Originally posted by kilroy

I have yet to see that movie, is it any good?

Brilliant.

If you're also into poker, then The Cincinnati Kid (Steve McQueen, Edward G.Robinson) is equally good with a similar plot.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 09:57
@ Bucephlaus, the Black Widow is indeed really good, i've seen her play at Fox Woods a few times, but i think Ewa Mataya, or the 'Striking Viking' LOLis both better and hotter than the Widow.  

And Janeie Balukas stood them all.  She was the womans nine ball champ before she was 18.

I played a little, 3 cushion Billiards, nasty nine etc. A product of misguided youth.Big%20smile

Edited by red clay - 07-Apr-2007 at 09:58
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 23:38
Efran Reyes is God.
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 22:44
I just watched another pool movie called Pool Hall Junkies.  It was surprisingly good, and had a decent cast as well!  
Kilroy was here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>