Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Education Abroad File

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Education Abroad File
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 11:39

Hello guys/gals

i wonder how much must a person spend for his graduate degree at a minumum cost  in terms of US dollars per year in other countries...

Also which country serves the cheapest eduction in Europe?

Which state serves the cheapest in the US?

if you were to take a degree in Africa and Eastern Asia,which countries would you think of?

REGARDS

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 11:59
Depends largely on the school in the US.  I could get a nice cheap one at my undergrad school for I think roughly $3,000 per semester, albiet one that is ill suited for what I want, and it is unknown.  The school I am going to in September has a bill of roughly $10,000 per semester, almost as much as for my four undergrad years, but it is extremely well suited for what I want, and it is a good name.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 12:18

Cool for you

My university is a private one...But i won here by a scholarship which means i dont have to pay any money...

my friends pay $6.000 per year for this uni..

even if you go to a state uni here,you have to pay some money...But they wouldnt be over $1000 i guess..

the most expensive and qualified as well are about over $10.000

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 12:28

Roughneck is right, it depends on the school....and whether its a public or private university or college.   A public university or college receives some funding from the public sector either through the state directly or through taxes so their tuitions are usually much cheaper.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 01:02
For NYU, the Ivy League colleges such as Columbia and well known private universities such as Boston University the full year tuition for undergrad is around $30-40.000. Graduate studies are usually more expensive but some grad students, depending on their field of study, get fellowships. This is especially true for PhD candidates, almost all of them are eligible for a fellowship and they get paid once they start working as TAs. Depending on the undergrad program you're studying, and on the school, one could be eligible for scholarship although undergrad scholarships are rare especially for foreign students. US citizens usually do get loans for their university payments, or help from the federal government. Foreign students also usually pay extra fees, such as "international student fee", what this is used for I have yet to find out till this day. State and city universities are much cheaper, for example the colleges of City University of New York are around $3000 -but that's for New York State residents! International students as well as residents of other states pay around $6000.

My school, being exclusively a university of arts unfortunately offers no fellowships, scholarships or similar for foreign students and the yearly tuition is $20.000. Of course you have to add living expenses to that, which usually double or even trible the tutition of your school especially if you plan to live in a big city. In New York City, for example, the rents are very high and food and other amenities are not very cheap either. In smaller cities or towns usually food is very, very affordable and the lodgings grow immensely in size be it a dormitory or a private apartment. From what I can tell, if you're studying in a city like New York, or San Fransisco etc. you're bound to spend around $60 to $70.000 a year -everything included even though your I-20 would claim it to be no more than an estimated $38.000.
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 00:42

Ah, yes, NYU...they never returned phone calls or email when I was trying to find out information in my search for a graduate school, so I decided to take my business elsewhere.  Now, they can go...I also no other folks who have no kind words for them.  CUNY, used to be FREE for city residents until the early 90s.  Public schools will always be cheaper, but you also have to factor the name in.  Schools like Cornell, Columbia, they charge that much because they earned the right to.  Schools like ESU are unknown, and really have no right to charge that level of money anyway.  I know graduate credits are more, definitely, but that's largely because you don't take as many credits as an undergrad.  The "international student fees," they charge a surcharge for EVERYTHING in this country now.  Used to be you only got charged ATM surcharges out of state.  Today, all places that aren't your own bank charge you, $4 in some places!  Buy from Ticketmaster, and by the time all the surcharges and "convenience" fees, and you end up paying almost twice the advertised fee.  Nope, they're squeezing everyone for all they're worth, in any way they can.  Surcharges are just a way of life now...

[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 01:16

In Mexico, the education from kinder garden till the college is supported by the goverment.

I attended to the public school since always. While I was studying my BS Degree on Industrial Engineering, I never paid a cent.

Each state had their onw public university.

Heres the web site of the University of Guadalajara ( www.udg.mx )

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:00

if you were to take a degree in Africa and Eastern Asia,which countries would you think of?

Africa: South Africa, Botswana, Egypt... (maybe Kenya and Tanzania)

East Asia: Singapore, Japan... maybe China (hong kong), possibly Malaysia and Indonesia too

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 06:03
I am still stuck between Geneva and Istanbul...havent decided yet
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 06:55
I don't know about the rest of the world, but in SIngapore our University Education is highly subsidized.

For example i pay 6000 Singapore Dollars a year. Add texts and lodgings it works out to maybe 10k singapore dollars a year (6000 US$).

And usually under-priviledge kids who qualify can apply for bursaries, loans and scholarships, so no one has an excuse not to get tertiary education.
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 07:00
I was in Hong Kong last week and they had pretty good universities out there...
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 22:27
Originally posted by Roughneck

Ah, yes, NYU...they never returned phone calls or email when I was trying to find out information in my search for a graduate school, so I decided to take my business elsewhere.  Now, they can go...I also no other folks who have no kind words for them.

I had very similar experiences with them, NYU's admissions department really sucks. Pity, because they really have some great professors in certain departments and offer tons of classes. But they're certainly not the best in every subject and even though they sure like pretending to be they are no Columbia yet either.

The "international student fees," they charge a surcharge for EVERYTHING in this country now.  Used to be you only got charged ATM surcharges out of state.  Today, all places that aren't your own bank charge you, $4 in some places!  Buy from Ticketmaster, and by the time all the surcharges and "convenience" fees, and you end up paying almost twice the advertised fee.

Oh, puh-lease. Seriously what the hell is a "convenience" fee? That I didn't get out of my apartment and bought it online? I used your damn website! Why do I have to pay $10 extra, it's crazy! And I have no words for ATMs that charge crazy amounts of extra money. The cheapest ones charge $0.99 but in SoHo they go up to $4 like you said. I guess that means if you're withdrawing money in a posh neighborhood you're supposed to be rich, or else.

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 22:29
Originally posted by Gallipoli

I suppose that would mean you're not very familiar with the Turkish education system. Stick with Geneva, take it from me. I'm sorry that I never took that option and went to UG.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 15:27

Originally posted by Colchis

Originally posted by Gallipoli

Stick with Geneva, take it from me.

he had already not gave it to you...

Post Reply Post Reply