Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are Hittites caucasians?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
white knight View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote white knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Hittites caucasians?
    Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 04:07
       Are Hittites caucasians?  I know that they speak Indo-europian language, are the caucasians?  Thanks!
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 06:42
Do you mean about race?
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 12:22
Nop, they came from Asia, modern Pakistan, and Afghanistan zones, not known so exact though
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 12:23
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

Nop, they came from Asia, modern Pakistan, and Afghanistan zones, not known so exact though

that would still make them indo_european speaker & caucasian
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 12:26
Oh u mean the race, sure
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 07:51
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

No, it is believed that they came to Central Anatolia via Caucasia. They are certainly an Indo-Europen people unlike hattites whom were the natives of Central Anatolia.
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 09:14

Caucasian, not used as  a term of causoid race but  as a term defining etnicities, is the common name of a compositian of "adygeys, abkhazians, Chechenians, Karachay-Cherkessains, Ossetians, Dahestanisans and Ingshetians" living in Caucasia. The term Circassian is also used to define Adiges. Here in Turkey erkez is the name of this etnic goup. After 1864's exile many Cicassians had to live their mother land and had to migrate. Since 1864 many Cicassians have been living in Anatolia. Ali urey, son of one of these families, have written a book about Adiges and Hittites/Hatties.

You may find many different sources on the web reviewing Circassian, Adige history. But I think you can't find urey's book in your countries. The book is written in Turkish: Ali urey, Hatti/Hititlerin Kkeni ve erkezler (The Origin of Hattis/Hittites and Circassians), iviyazısı Yayınevi, 2000.
The auther argues that Circassian and Hitit language are similar. I haven't read the book but I have read an article about the book and the auther.
Since the historians of hittite language haven't known the Adige language, they they wouldn't underline this similarity. But according the auther, today's living language of this ethnic group has very common words with Hittite language. I think this is one of the subjects to be revised by using different glasses. I think etnocentrism is one of the risks on historical researces and eurocentrism has always been dominant in historical researches. I've learned in this forum that eastern and Mesopotamian cultures had many rich historical sources. For example I liked so much to read whatever I knew, by using other friends' documents.
I wish an Adige speaking his/her mother language well shared his/her arguement with us by giving ethimological examples by comparing the Hittit and Adige language.
Je suis comme je suis.
 Post Reply Post Reply