Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz X, parte 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz X, parte 3
    Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:57

Answers posted on previous side, if you missed that.

Originally posted by Serge L

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Yes, thanks, I laughed - Schadenfreude you know.

Here we say "common evil, half a joy"

Weird, that reminded me of something I used to eat as a kid. Can't remember what though, only the taste

Everybody who has answered Q13 are in the right region (Dawn, Serge, your first round 2 answers at least). Only sahaliyan has been spot on though.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 18:24
Cavalry, you're in the right region, but this is not about legends.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 19:27

I find all these question to be particularly nice. Most of them are focused on very little known, and yet interesting facts. Let me add some comments:

Serge provided another link: http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html

Have a look at it: it gives a lot of interesting information. For instance: why on Earth some countries drive on the right and some on the left side?

And today, where do they drive on left and where on right?

There is even at least one country split in one left drive and one right drive region!

Q2: I can be considered a great guerilla leader. I was married twice and left my infant son to inheiret my titles. I lost many a battle but finally one a big one to win my country independence. I did not die in battle ,some conteperaries say I died of unclean ailments be that as it may, most of my body was buried in one place but part went elsewhere or so tradition says. Who am I? (by: Dawn)

A2: Robert I of Scotland - the Bruce.

Those who answered completely: Komnenos, Mixcoatl,sahaliyan, Serge L, Slickmeister, TJK

The great battle obviously was that of Bannockburn. See:

http://members.aol.com/Skyelander/menu4.html

As to the part of Robert's body that, according to the legend was buried separately, it was his heart:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_heart.htm

Q3: After whom was Benito Mussolini named? (by: Mixcoatl)

A3: Mexican revolutionary Benito Jurez

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, demon, Gubuk Janggon, Hellinas, Janus Rook, Komnenos, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Mussolini's father was a Jurez' admirer. 

Q8: This little thing which most people in the developed part has seen was invented by Medieval monks to make their tasks more efficient and too shorten them. It goes under many names in different countries, though many collectively refer to either end of different animal's bodies. What is this thing? (by: styrbiorn)

A8: The @ symbol. Known in different countries as (elephant's)trunk-a, cat's tail, pig's tail etc, this little sign was invented by monks to shorten the very long word "at". 

I did not know and would have never guessed.

Let's just say he in Italy we call it "chiocciola", i.e. "slug". Another animal again. I supose it's like with Rorschach's spots, each one sees different things in that funny sign.

Q9: A women who lived during the Plague, and was married four times. The first was a forced marriage while she was very young, and this marriage would eventually cause her death. She held a very impressive title, perhaps the most holy of wordly titles. She was of a French family, but lived her whole life in another country, and her husbands were from three others. Who was she? (by: styrbiorn)

A9: Jeanne d'Anjou, Queen Regnant of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia, Queen of Jerusalem, etc, etc. She was involved in the murder of her first, very hated, Hungarian husband. Forty years later the relatives to the murdered husband avenged him, killed Jeanne and seized her lands, all on the pope's approval.

I think that, for completeness of information, we should add that her four, multi-national husbands had been:

1) the a/m prince Andrew, brother of Luis I king of Hungary

2) Luis of Taranto, who allegedly helped her to have her  previous husband murdered.

3) at Luis' death, she married Jacob III D'Aragona-Maiorca

4) at Jacob's death, her last husband was Otto von Brunswick

A13: Anders Celsius, inventor of the Celsius/centigrade scale and adherent thermometre. The place was the Sirius star. Maybe I was a little dirty here - "Anglo" should really have been American, but since the Commonwealth nations switched rather recently I let it pass.

This too I never would have guessed right.

Edited by Serge L
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 23:04

Dawn - reload the page, spelling corrected.

Well maybe not - It is just gone now

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 04:55

I think that, for completeness of information, we should add that her four, multi-national husbands had been:

I was seaching for a link with some info on her - that's when the browser crashed. Anyway, let's also add that Dumas wrote about her in "Joan of Naples". Here's a Wiki link.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 09:59

here is some stuff

1414-35 Queen Regnant Giovanna II d'Anjou
She succeeded her brother Lancelot. Her second husband, James of Bourbon, was imprisoned in 1416 after attempting to seize power. She adopted Alfonso V of Aragon as her heir in 1421. After he tried to take over Naples in 1423 she transferred the adoption to Louis III who she had expelled in 1420 for trying to take over Naples. Louis died in 1434 and again she transferred the adoption to his brother Rene. At her death Alfonso seized power and Renes claim was never secured. She was the last Angevin to reign in Naples.

AND

1414-35 Queen Regnant Giovanna II d'Anjou of Napoli  (Italy) and Titular Queen of Jerusalem Cyprus and Armenia, Sicily, Hungary, Dalmatia, Croatia, Ramia, Serbia, Galicia, Lodomeria, Cumania and Bulgaria
She succeeded her brother, and two years later, her second husband, Jean de Bourbon, was imprisoned after trying to seize power. She adopted Alfonso V of Aragon as her heir in 1421. After he tried to take over power in 1423, she transferred the adoption to another relative; Louis III d'Anjou, who she had expelled in 1420 for trying to seize power. After Louis' death in 1434, his brother, Rene was appointed heir, but Alfonso took power after her death.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 11:21
Serge, true, but the way it is phrased gives you a hint on the time frame.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 13:30
I gave up on this.Ouch

Edited by cavalry4ever
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 13:52
me too
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 14:03
It's over. Remaining answers and results will be posted later.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 14:51
Remaining answers

Q7: I was born in a house with a name that sounds like a singer, I died in a field that sounds like its biblical. Almost my whole life was spent in war pursuits and for this I got a statue that was damged by another war. Who am I ?(by: Dawn)

A7: Major General James Wolfe -born 1727 in Macartney House, Kent, died 1759 on The Plains of Abraham, Quebec, Canada
Additional info added by Dawn:http://greenwichpast.com/vip/folk/wolfe.htm http://www.plpsd.mb.ca/amhs/history/wolfe.html and a cool picture http://www.canadianheritage.org/reproductions/10154.htm personal note: In 1998 I went to the plains of Abraham which is now a lovely park in the old part of Qubec city which is just ajcent to the citidal(the oldest operating base in north america at least thats what they told us.) .There are markers where he (as well as Montcalm )was shot.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Komnenos

Q12: Considering their name one might suspect these people had similar habits as modern day hippies, but their name, which was given by the people of the greatest native empire of the area, had probably more to do with their unusually pale looks and place of living. Little remains of their civilization today, as they were not only conquered by the mentioned conquerors, but later even these were overtaken by people from over the seas. (by: styr)

A12: The Chachapoya,the Cloud People, and old culture with impressive cities high up in the Andes, that eventually was conquered by the Incas. Nowadays only ruins remains as well as artifacts and mummies, which sadly are very desired and exposed to art thieves.

Those who answered completely: Dawn, Komnenos, Mixcoatl, sahaliyan

Edited by Styrbiorn
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 16:14

Cloud people! I was completely off-road, I was searching for snow people.

Same for Dawn question's, i looked for someone died at Armageddon (megiddo) Plain, not Abraham.

Oh, well, It was fun the same

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 16:18
in response to my being a google-machine, i totally lucked out when i googled for cloud and quechua.  i mean, we're in the andes here so clouds are a reasonable guess for a relevant meteorogical phenomenon, and, well, i don't really know any other languages from the area.  the very first link gave the answer away :-)

hats off to everyone who played.  you guys all rock, despite royally screwing my medical studies this weekend.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 16:29

Same for Dawn question's, i looked for someone died at Armageddon (megiddo) Plain, not Abraham.

Oh, well, It was fun the same

serge,serge, serge how is it that you guys always forget I'm Canadaian and can not resist at least one question based there.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 16:42
Originally posted by sahaliyan

in response to my being a google-machine, i totally lucked out when i
googled for cloud and quechua. i mean, we're in the andes here so
clouds are a reasonable guess for a relevant meteorogical phenomenon,
and, well, i don't really know any other languages from the area.
the very first link gave the answer away :-)

Very efficient indeed.

Cloud people!

Well, had I realized the silly hippie pun didn't work in English and figured out another, you would've found it out.

--

Results within half an hour.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 16:47

Results within half an hour.

Now that is lie. Sorry.

Of course we will first vote for the best question. So, all competitors, please tell which question you think deserve the Best Question Award.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 17:18
Can't remember the number, but I liked the question about Joanna d'Anjou, the hint "the most holy of all worldly titles", wasn't too obscure, but challenging enough, and there were a couple of possible contenders with similar profiles.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 17:26
i also vote for the joanne d'anjou question.  for the longest time i was searching for information about the holy roman empresses because i figure they had a very holy name :-)
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 17:44

Originally posted by Dawn

serge,serge, serge how is it that you guys always forget I'm Canadaian and can not resist at least one question based there.

Oh, that I guessed very soon.  I even complained with Styr that the hint did not give so much aditional information!

However I suspected that person did not spend his entire life in Canada: the statue should be in another country, since I cannot remember any major war with bombing happened in your country (lucky gals and guys!), and the hint confirmed this suspicion. It was a difficult question, congratulations!

Well, had I realized the silly hippie pun didn't work in English and figured out another, you would've found it out.

Indeed, that pun confonded me a little. What is the cloud about, in Swedish? maybe a reference for the use of marijuana?

I too thought about drugs; however, one Italian slang term for drug (in particular, cocaine, which is consistent with the South American location) is neve = snow, which apparently was confirmed by pale faces and high mountains references.

I also explored other possible relations with the hippie concept: long hair, flowers, etc. Of course, to no avail.

However, I would not say it was a bad question, Styr: on the contrary, it was quiite correctly formulated, and the possible misleads can be considered a pro. Did they not put misleading answers in test quizzes?

As to the best question, it's a difficult choice. I really enjoyed this TQ. Finally, I chose those question that  alowed me to find something I did not knew and I am rather interested into, either by researching, or just by  . . . waiting the official answers. They are:

The drive change question by Dawn (again, it's very iteresting the site I found - I never suspected ancient Romans drove on the left as modern English people!),

the origin of the @ sign and the Celsius ante litteram Sci-fi writer (I really did not know, even though I am a sci-fi fan!) ones, both by Styrbiorn.

Edited by Serge L
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 22:11
Originally posted by sahaliyan

i also vote for the joanne d'anjou question.  for the longest time i was searching for information about the holy roman empresses because i figure they had a very holy name :-)

Also for Joanne d'Anjou
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>