Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander Hypomnemata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander Hypomnemata
    Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 14:19
When Alexander  died in 323, his Notebooks (Hypomnemata) included grandiose plans for the conquest of North Africa and the circumnavigation of the Arabian peninsula, though in truth there was much left to be done in areas that had formerly been subject to, or else a thorn in the side of, the Persian kings.

Does anyone know more as about this ?Confused
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 20:42
At least one of the authors of modern histories of Alexander did hint at these ideas.  In fact, it was Nearchus who was leading the initial exploration of the Arabian peninsula just before Alexander's death, though his men lost heart and forced him to turn back just at the mouth of the Persian Gulf.  There is speculation over whether Alexander would've waged war against the Arabians or if Carthage was his next target (if so, this would've eventually put him into conflict with a budding young empire centered on a city called "Rome"), but that is all we can do at this juncture.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 22:08
When Alexander leaves for some kind of expedition, he always leaves someone behind trustworthy to watch over the terrorities he had conquered. I can imagine that Sycthia and India and Sogdia would be the trouble spots in the Empire because they are yet untammed, only touched by Alexander. In India, the cities he had conquered in the Indus Valley basically revolted as soon as Alexander left and regained independence under Alexander. But as usual, if someone starts a revolt, Alexander would execute the ringleaders of the uprising and regain control over it.

I think the conquering the Arabian Peninsula at the time was nothing really big, and no need to worry but going into Carthage... without settling the affairs in Persia, then there would be some trouble in Alexander's empire. The Macedonian government at the time needed to expand its terrorities or else it will face internal destruction which is the need that helped Macedon and Greece became so powerful.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 22:13
From what we can tell, Alexander's next plans were for Arabia. I don't remember the specific reason but I believe it was because of the some tribute problem(he really just needed a small casus belli).

It may seem odd to most of us in the western world today because oil and sand is pretty much all that we connect with the peninsula. However, the western world, from the Greeks to the Romans, always saw the land as one of the richest places in the world due to its wealth in frankincense. I believe there were other things that they attributed to its wealth.

With this in mind, it is easy to see why Alexander held prospects for the conquest of the Arabian peninsula.   

Edited by Theodore Felix - 13-Apr-2007 at 22:17
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:02
There were still some Persian satraps that wasnt conquered in the Arabia peninsula and I guess Alexander want to conquer them because they never really recognized Alexander as the king of Persia.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 19:00
Are Alexander's notebooks translated? If so, where could I find them so I can read them?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply