Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"300" and critical points in Human Histor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "300" and critical points in Human Histor
    Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 22:18
Not all cultures are alike, even bad movies like Frank Miller's "300" reminds us, however badly, that there are "critical points" in Human History. Certainly, one can argue the merits of how the world would have turned out had Spartan effort not succeed at Thermopylae.

Here are some of the Critical  Points in Human History:

1. "300 at Thermopyale" saves Western Values.

2. "Fall of Rome" leads to a Dark Age.

3. "Battle of Tours" saves the West from the ravages of Muslim rule.

4.  China closes it's door to the World under Ming Dynasty. China is passed by the West. Western Europe becomes the dominant power until WWII.

5.  "WWII: Pearl Harbor Attack". Had Japan not attacked Pearl Harbor,  We might be reading history written in German.

6. Attack on "9/11" and the ensuing Iraq War II. The outcome, yet to be decided...

Links:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/300/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_movie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopylae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours

Edited by JuMong - 15-Mar-2007 at 22:24
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 22:56
JuMong, have you read the relevant history?

"Ravages of Muslim rule" did you say? The Muslims brought the Europeans advancements in science, music, literature, and architecture, et cetera. They were far more civilized than Europeans at the time. Tell me, what happened when the church burned "heretical writings"? The Muslims saved the works of Aristotle, Plato, and others. And were the inquisitions not the real ravages?

I remember one line in 300 which talked about how the Spartans were saving Greece from the "mysticism and barbarism" (or something similar) of Persia! Of Persia!? Ha! Not all the Greeks developed the same high levels of thought and logic and inquiry that the Athenians and few other city-states had done!

And the rest of Europe was not very prosperous under the Roman rule. Romans somewhat relied on plunder from the provinces.

No, we would not be reading history in German. I will not bother to go any further.

Point is, yes, they were critical points, but the comments you wrote are not very critical.

- Zheng-ru
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 14:59
The battle of Thermopylae saved western values? If anything modern western values are more influenced by ancient Persian values than ancient Spartan values.

Spartan values: Paganism, male centricism, warriorism (although I'm not that last one is a word)
Persian values: Monotheism, Religious and cultural tolerance, intellectualism

you must either not know the facts or have a wierd definition of western values.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 15:12
No, because of the Spartans western values, such as democracy and freedom survived. Without the Spartans Greece would have been absorbed into the Persian Empire, and all the Greek innovations would have been lost, or not invented under Persian domination. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 18:25
Spartan values: Paganism, male centricism, warriorism (although I'm not that last one is a word).....

.....bravery,frugality

Persian values: Monotheism, Religious and cultural tolerance, intellectualism....

.....Imperialism,Imperial show off

Edited by Spartakus - 16-Mar-2007 at 18:26
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 22:56
I agree with Adalwolf and Spartakus, but it is clear that both empires had their strong aspects. The Spartans at Thermopylae contributed to the preservation of "western values", but I cannot say that Persian values were inferior.

- Zheng-ru
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 02:17

The Spartans at Thermopylae were carrying out a rearguard action. For gods sake Athens still burnt. The Greek victory at Salamis was way more important.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 18:44
Battle of Tours would have affected France's history, but not the rest of Europe's.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by Adalwolf

No, because of the Spartans western values, such as democracy and freedom survived. 

LOL

Edited by Zagros - 18-Mar-2007 at 18:58
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 19:50
Those may have not been Spartan values, but the because of the heroic Spartan defense at Thermopolyae they survived in Athens. 
     Edward Abbey
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 19:56
No, the Spartans were beaten, like Sparten mentioned Salamis was far more crucial and, Athens was still raised (and rebuilt).  Thermopylae is just good propaganda.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 20:23
Well yeah, but their defense inspired the greeks to resist and eventually to defeat the Persians. 
     Edward Abbey
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 20:48
Originally posted by JuMong

1. "300 at Thermopyale" saves Western Values.

Haha, that's so untrue.
That battle did not "save Western values" and you're just giving people offended by the movie a chance to blow steam.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 22:42

What do you mean, Hellios? I mean, if Persia conquered Greece... wouldn't their influence make the Western culture more... oritental?

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 23:16
Originally posted by pekau

What do you mean, Hellios? I mean, if Persia conquered Greece... wouldn't their influence make the Western culture more... oritental?

Your post shows some ignorance on 3 levels:
1. Persia didn't "conquer Greece" but parts of it.
2. Greece conquered Persia, all of it, and Hellenized it to a certain extent.
3. Western systems of government are generally not closer to the Persian system than the Greek system are.

Edited by Hellios - 20-Mar-2007 at 10:45
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 23:22
Originally posted by Hellios

Your post shows some ignorance on 3 levels:
1. Persia didn't "conquer Greece" but parts of it.
2. Greece conquered Persia, all of it, and Hellenized it to a certain extent.
3. Western systems of government are generally not closer to the Persian system than the Greek system.

I was looking at a scenario where Persia does conquer all Greece.

Oh, and Persia and Greece had similar system of government? I didn't know that. I though Greeks were more democratic while Persia was under absolute monarchy....

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 23:35

Oh, and Persia and Greece had similar system of government? I didn't know that. 

No, they didn't have the same system, just common elements.

I though Greeks were more democratic while Persia was under absolute monarchy...

Not all Greek city-states practiced direct democracy & Persians had their system of human rights.

Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 14:45

The Athenians were more democratic while Persia and other Greek city states were under absolute monarchy....

fixed. Even in the athenian system, only "citizens" could vote, and that constituted maybe a 10% of the total population. Even then, most of the military and government was appointed, and only a few were actually elected.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 15:18
Originally posted by Hellios

[
Persians had their system of human rights.

Confused
I am a free donkey!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 17:12
Xshayathiya,
Your one-sided view mentions only the faults.

Maharbbal,
Yes, Persians had a system of human rights thanks to Cyrus.  Some of his successors followed his ways less than others.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>