Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Reorganization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Reorganization
    Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 20:30
Hello Everyone

You may have noticed that there are a few things going on in the forum. New forums and sub-forums popping up. This will continue for the next little while. As well you will notice very soon a major reorganization ( can't help it - it's spring and I'm a women - must redecorateBig%20smile) in some of the forums. This is all to serve you as members better. To help you find those topics that interest you easier. To further this aim I ask that you be patient with the upheaval , like home improvements you have to make a bit of a mess to make things better. If you suddenly lose a thread it probably has just been moved to it's new home. To help find it again just scan down the forums and look for the most likely place that I might have put it. If you really can't find it just drop me a note and I'll help locate it. Again thanks for your patients

Dawn
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:04
We will be patient.Approve
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:29
Forum Resignation ?

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:51

ULRICH be good!Smile

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Dawn

ULRICH be good!Smile

No Doubt, I am Evil%20Smile

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 23:22

Dropping in to say great move Dawn, finally someone has given AE forums a much needed surgery.Thumbs%20Up. A woman's touch is indeed what is reqd 'sometimes'.LOL

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 07:53
Originally posted by malizai_

Dropping in to say great move Dawn, finally someone has given AE forums a much needed surgery.Thumbs%20Up. A woman's touch is indeed what is reqd 'sometimes'.LOL

..does that mean we are to have lace curtains and pink lampshades everywhere?..and god forbid.....cushions!!!!......Wink

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 17-Mar-2007 at 07:54
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 10:41
Ok phase one is now compete. everyone seems to be finding things (old and new) and no cushions yetWink AofO.

Phase 2 will begin sometime later today or maybe tomorrow. This is the major change from what has been in the past.  These changes are to remove double forums and make it easier for you the members to find those threads that intrest you and help you place threads where everyone can find them.

Here's what it will look like:

Community Forums

Community Information, Announcements- (read only)
-- Community news - comments incouraged
--Newsletter Archive
--Total Quiz Archive
--AE Magazine
 --Warning and Ban Announcements

Administration and Technical support (The Meeting Hall renamed)

The Tavern
--General Gaming and Computers
--Historical Amusement
-- Sports and Sports History
Legations and Advertising Area

General History

General World History
--AE History Portal Project
 --Womens History
-Archaeology and Anthropology
-- Historic Arts and Architecture

Military History

--Modern Warfare
--All Battles
Historical Pictures Gallery
 --Historical Maps Gallery

intellectual Forums ( needs a better name)
The Academy
Intellectual Discussion
--Philosophy and Society and religion
--Current Affairs
-- literary pursuits
  Linguistics
--Social Sciences
Natural History
Questions and Answers

sugestions and comments apreciated although it may not be possible to implement them all.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 15:32

Couple of thoughts.

Society Vs a seperate Social sciences section. ??

Literary pursits => (Maybe just) Literature

Sports history=> Wouldn't it be part of Cultural history.

AE History Portal Project--Why not just History Portal Project

General Gaming and Computers-- How would it be different from say just Gaming and Computers. I may further suggest an alternative, Gaming and Information Technology.

Topics by region or time period, may become Regional History or Period History.

Sub-section headings under Regional history could then be reduced to name of the region, loosing the suffix and prefix of 'history'. African History could become Africa etc.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 20:30
Sports history=> Wouldn't it be part of Cultural history.

Cultural History is in fact retired. Sports history was requested in a thread in the meeting hall, although personally I'm not convinced that its needed.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:43
intellectual Forums ( needs a better name)

Scholarly? Something along those lines possibly...? Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:50
No hard sciences and literature forums?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:57
Liturary pursuits counts as liturature forum as to science natural history, acheology are the closest. Dis you have something in mind?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:13
I'm not sure what 'natural history' means (sounds a little 19th century Smile), but science and maths history seem conceptually to be gaping holes.

On the other hand in the past not too many people seem to have been seriously interested in them.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 16:05
Mathematical history would just rule.. natural history is for the NATURE... :D
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 18:03
I too favor something for hard sciences, + economy and technology.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 00:13
The problem with the physical sciences, is that there isn't much scope for discussion. The sciences don't care about other peoples opinions, its right, or its wrong.

If you notice that while there is a lot of Engineers on this board, there is hardly any Engineering related discussion? And even when there is, it is short. Usually someone correcting someone else.

I'm not at all sure what would be discussed in a physical sciences forum... except possibly people posting homework questions.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 22-Mar-2007 at 00:15
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 03:38
Well, we could discuss the possible reasons of such discoveries... Like why and how did possibly Galileo come up with something...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 03:41
In my opinion, we should not stray from the core theme of this forum - history. If we introduce too many non-related subject areas, it will detract from this forum's central theme. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 08:29
There seems to be some confusion over the distinction between a science forum and a history of science forum. Granted I see no reason why AE should have forum devoted to discussing issues like whether the universe will continue to expand or eventually shrink It seems to me that tracing the course of events which led up to Einstein formulating the Special Theory is an essentially historical question we should have room for.

An equally valid historical question would be the reaction of empiricism against idealism in people like Ockham - as covered so well in Eco's The Name of the Rose.

Maybe the distinction is that in a science forum the issue is whether such and such a theory is correct (or at least justified), whereas from a historical perspective, in a 'history of science' forum, the  correctness of the beliefs held is immaterial.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>